Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2014, 10:11   #61

Re: Mini Cooper test drive (A brief Initial impression)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
Can I just say that your car aesthetics reek of bombay! Here up North the fetish for size and brawn even before 'style' (such as it is) is appalling.

Consider the Fiat Avventura if you are ok with the 'cross' styling: rumour has it that it will come with the 1.4 t-jet that powers the Abarths, albeit in a lesser state of tune and with big wide wheels too?
HaHa...well that is a correct analysis...though "reek" is a strong word.
The Rant:
The situation in Bbay is ridiculous, I try not to venture out of my area unless necessary during office traffic hours and the evenings,
there are traffic jams at certain places post 10pm.
I often feel like a prisoner of my zip code.
There is hardly any place to park- Hawkers, restaurants and mechanic shops claim the footpath/road in front of them,
rickshaws are all over the place.
If you drive to a friends place, there is no parking in the building or anywhere around
and when you finally find a spot, you might be worried if the car is gonna be there, maybe only the badge will be gone.
I am very lucky that I do not have to commute to work. Friends and Family are a walk away and so,
I try to walk to places around as much as I can. Some sunday mornings I ride down to various parts of the city
and see places I didn't know existed in my 25 yrs here..Irani cafes, caves, Flamingoes and what not.
This probably is the situation in metros world over.

I feel if you have to travel around the city regularly, it is probably most easily done on a 2 wheeler.
Then comes the April heat or monsoon and that doesn't seem so easy either.
This brings me to my choice of a small footprint car.
If I lived out of the city I would most probably have a different set of wheels in mind. The new Octavia 1.8 for one.
Most of my friends are happy with their non 'hatch sized' cars, so its a personal choice/requirement.
In a lot of European cities or even a New york or San Francisco you sense the popularity of Hatchbacks or the Smart car concept (by Daimler).

With our roads/traffic and a growing need to get out of the city (hopefully relocate in some years)
I am curious about these in no particular order:
Skoda Yeti DSG (will be my first choice)
Jeep Wrangler (it disappeared, automatic? 30 lack +?)
Fiat Avventura (automatic, 1.4 Tjet would be nice)
Fiat Punto Abrath
Mercedes GLA (surely around 40 lacks on road here)
Mini Countryman (The S version is too expensive)
VW GT TSI
VW Taigun

I Think I better prepay my home loan instead...this silly mature thought is age related, need to cure it!
Im still in no hurry, ~25000km in 5 years and the Fabia is doing well,
need to change the tyres and fix the music, will have to wait for the convenience of an automatic.

In the mean time I really need to take her out on long runs a lot more.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome...ime-years.html
Attached Thumbnails
Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven-road-yosemite.jpg  

Sandyboy101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 22:05   #62
BHPian

Re: Mini Cooper test drive (A brief Initial impression)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyboy101 View Post
I try to walk to places around as much as I can. Some sunday mornings I ride down to various parts of the city
and see places I didn't know existed in my 25 yrs here..Irani cafes, caves, Flamingoes and what not.
This probably is the situation in metros world over.

I feel if you have to travel around the city regularly, it is probably most easily done on a 2 wheeler.
This brings me to my choice of a small footprint car.
If I lived out of the city I would most probably have a different set of wheels in mind. The new Octavia 1.8 for one.
Most of my friends are happy with their non 'hatch sized' cars, so its a personal choice/requirement.
In a lot of European cities or even a New york or San Francisco you sense the popularity of Hatchbacks or the Smart car concept (by Daimler).
A 2-wheeler (say, a matt black Vespa S with red shockers!) for weaving your way through the urban congestion, public transport (multi-modal) for essential longer trips for work or pleasure means then that a car becomes an aesthetic practice rather than something indispensable to one's self- and social-esteem. For knowledgeable pleasure, above all.

That is why I complimented you on your Bombay car aesthetics, which, as you point out, is similar to what is common in many truly metropolitan cities: New York, London, Paris, San Fran, Tokyo.

The corollory would be that Delhi ncr is VERY far from being a 'metropolitan' city!
desdemona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 15:17   #63

Re: Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven

Mini Cooper S Carbon Black 210 BHP john cooper edition is now available (with only 20 units) to be booked online at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.in/b/ref=auto_mini...f_rd_i=desktop
Old 10th May 2018, 07:28   #64
BHPian

MINI Designs One-Off Car For The Royal Wedding Of Prince Harry And Meghan Markle.

The automaker has announced that it will be producing an exclusive 'One-Off' MINI hatchback specially for the royal wedding.

Speaking about the one-off MINI for the royal couple, Head of MINI Design, Oliver Heilmer said, "As an iconic British brand with almost 60 years of history in the UK, we are pleased to mark the royal wedding with this special charitable gift. The MINI Design team has created a one-off MINI Hatch for the occasion. Its specially designed roof graphic combines with 3D-printed personalised interior and exterior details as well as special embroidery to make this a MINI like no other."

Based on the MINI 3 Door, the one-off hatchback is as British as it gets, at least in appearance. The car is finished in a crystal white paint scheme with silver blue accent strips. There's a black band that wraps around the car and features a blue-tinted, matte silver paint finish. The distinctive MINI bits remain as it is on the car including the hexagonal grille; chrome accents around the headlamps and tail lamps, as well as the door handles. The taillights also get a blue-black tinted clear coat, adding a touch sportiness. Keeping things distinctly British is the Union Jack design in the taillights, which are complemented by the dark blue finish alloy wheels.

The Royal Wedding will be taking place on May 19, 2018.
Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven-miniexclusivecarroyalwedding_827x510_71525867670.jpg

Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven-miniexclusivecarroyalwedding_827x510_41525868022.jpg

Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven-miniexclusivecarroyalwedding_827x510_71525868132.jpg

Source
Flyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 18:38   #65
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I ve got the Cooper S - pre owned.
Its great to drive.
I ll write a story later

...Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven-imageuploadedbyteambhp1574946449.254346.jpg
Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven-imageuploadedbyteambhp1574946489.030299.jpg
Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven-imageuploadedbyteambhp1574946499.973628.jpg
Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven-imageuploadedbyteambhp1574946508.028289.jpg

I gotcha!
Cooper S
Delicious.
Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven-imageuploadedbyteambhp1574946568.380447.jpg
Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven-imageuploadedbyteambhp1574946581.570768.jpg

I just went and gotcha me self a new toy...second hand.
Delicious!
Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven-imageuploadedbyteambhp1574947043.374222.jpg
Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven-imageuploadedbyteambhp1574947054.392969.jpg
Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven-imageuploadedbyteambhp1574947068.652146.jpg
Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven-imageuploadedbyteambhp1574947079.587087.jpg

One doesnt need to chuck big bucks.
One can always buy used.

I just did.

And it is delicious.

Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven-imageuploadedbyteambhp1574947180.463973.jpg
Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven-imageuploadedbyteambhp1574947193.108904.jpg
Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven-imageuploadedbyteambhp1574947203.599214.jpg

In continuation of the comments.

Here is the one that went away yesterday.
Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven-imageuploadedbyteambhp1574947278.923431.jpg

And here is what came into the house today!
Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven-imageuploadedbyteambhp1574947317.252542.jpg

Last edited by navin : 29th November 2019 at 15:33.
shankar.balan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 18:56   #66
Team-BHP Support

Re: Small luxury car: Mercedes B-Class or Mini Cooper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I just went and gotcha me self a new toy...second hand.
Downsizing is normally not an upgrade but this indeed is a wonderful upgrade! Congratulations

Which year and how many kms done?
Please do post a detailed ownership experience and the ongoing journey with the red little number.
Old 28th November 2019, 20:25   #67
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped luxury car for 10 - 15 lakhs?

Quote:
I gotcha!
Cooper S
Delicious.
Looks stunning, I’m going green with envy. You’re going to love her. Wish you many miles of safe driving with this beauty.
Old 29th November 2019, 05:54   #68
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Downsizing is normally not an upgrade but this indeed is a wonderful upgrade! Congratulations

Which year and how many kms done?
Please do post a detailed ownership experience and the ongoing journey with the red little number.

To me it is an upgrade in comfort from MT to AT.
Also it is a brand upgrade from Skoda to Cooper.

This car was owned by a Doctor neighbour and very well maintained. Plus he hardly ever drove it about at all. I had indeed first evaluated it in April 2019. It is a 2012 S. Yes it is also getting on for 8 years. It has hardly done 33000kms. Fitness Certificate is valid until August 2027.

Now I had my Yeti for 8'years as my primary daily use vehicle and I managed to do 47735 kms in it. Its Fitness Certificate is valid until Nov 2026. So the new owner can happily use it for another 7 years provided he looks after it properly.

I plan to use this Mini for the next several years atleast because of the following reasons.

1. Perfect daily use pocket rocket
2. Timeless styling and lovely looks
3. Excellent power juice
4. Enough space for what my wife and I wish to carry, even on holidays- all we need to do is pack light.
5. A true driver's car which I am sure I will enjoy in city and on the highways.
Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven-imageuploadedbyteambhp1574987094.284120.jpg

@lalvaz - yes indeed this is a very good looking, excellent handling little thing. But such a vehicle in India is only achievable in the used market for one such as I.

@graaja and @drmohitg - this particular Cooper S has normal tubeless tyres on it. The Doc who owned it said he changed the tyres over because Tubeless tyres are more comfortable to ride on in our daily use conditions and are also more durable and can be repaired more easily if need be, as compared to Runflat tyres.
So I think I ll stay with these and enjoy the grip and feel of runflat tyres when I travel and rent a car sometime.

Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven-imageuploadedbyteambhp1574998922.719053.jpg

Last edited by navin : 29th November 2019 at 15:31.
shankar.balan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 20:07   #69
Senior - BHPian

She's a beauty, Shankar. I'm sure you'll fall in love with it every time you turn her on. What kind of deal did you get on it, if you don't mind divulging? Asking for a friend, not myself. Not at all.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2019, 05:51   #70
BANNED

Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven

A bit of my own historical context - this was simply easier to write than a new thread. I will sit and write a review too after a while.

Yes, this Mini Cooper S is a dream. A long dreamed dream right from childhood when I first encountered the brand in books, movies and legends. And of course there were a couple of little red 1960's Mini's in Madras and Calcutta, which I used to see now and then on my visits there.

Hitherto the dream was fuelled by the reckless and profligate purchase of many many toys and scale models of the Mini in many forms, avatars and trims.

8 years ago, early 2011, my need state had evolved from size and space to safety, cleverness, versatility and compactness. Therefore, after watching Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear in the UK, (I was there visiting at the time), I went and test drove the Skoda Yeti and decided it was just perfect for me. Came back to India and saved up and bought one for the (then frightening) sum of ~ 20'lacs. That has been the BEST car I have ever owned until date. The Silver LittleBigFoot.

(Had it been an Automatic I'd have just kept it on account of its all round accomplishments and capabilities.)

Now, come 2019, my need state has further evolved - especially over the last 1.5 years, given the wicked traffic here in our cities and the extreme paucity of parking, need for high maneuvrability and the desperate requirement for an Automatic, compact hatchback with good power and high safety.

I started looking out regularly on OLX and CarWale and at the various dealers in Bangalore, Coimbatore, Madras and even Hyderabad, Bombay and Delhi...but I always knew it was better to stay with a KA Reg.

I bugged the Mini dealer in BLR regularly for test drive after test drive in the hope of striking some kind of deal but I knew in my heart that the asking prices for a brand new car specced up the way I wanted, were quite simply too ridiculous to even consider. Even the ruling prices in the used market are quite ridiculously high.

I have also during this time, constantly been bugging Ajmat our TBHP Mod with queries questions and requests.

My wife and I went to Spain and France on holiday in September 2019 and this time we rented a Mini Cooper Convertible 2018 model in Spain and drove it all about the hills and motorways and the seaside and various places. This was a standard edition 136bhp.

Then a few days later in France, we again rented another Mini Cooper Convertible 2019 model - again a standard spec 2 litre engine 136bhp. This also was driven spiritedly up and down some beautiful high hills and valleys and twisty roads.

Both these driving experiences were absolutely lovely. The car is like a lizard on the road in terms of its grip and handling.

I think these experiences really tipped the balance.

I recently saw a nice Electric Blue Standard Mini Cooper 2013 model registered 2014- this was also in consideration because of the negotiated asking price which was extremely attractive. ~ 15
Lacs. Single owner. A man who owns many cars with this one being just one among those. 35000
Kms on the clock. All good.

However this vehicle was the de-specced standard 121 Bhp version and it did have some scratches and slightly tired interiors. Also while I was considering it, someone else snapped it up.

This specific Red Mini Cooper S which I fortunately got. The Doctor who owned it is a fellow enthusiast.

He lives just behind and very close to my home.
He actually showed it to me in April 2019 and I even test drove it for a bit.

Then he decided not to sell. I also decided at that time not to buy, because I wanted to get my parents a change of car first.
I managed that in June 2019.

So having first made sure Dad and Mum were happy, I started looking out again a little more seriously for a little hot hatch for myself and of course, my wife.

So, enter the Little Red Devil -The Mini Cooper S.

I paid 18 lacs for the Mini Cooper S.

Yes, some may say this is a price which is over the top for a car which is 7 years old.
Yes, many people will have opinions about many things.

Me, I ve always listened to my Heart.
You only live once.
Might as well live it up as best you can.

And anyway I have earned this money by working hard and Hell! I will spend it exactly how I wish to!

If I cant actually be James Bond, I can atleast try and emulate him, in driving a top handling fast car on the flats and twisties and have myself a little fun.

So, I managed to sell my lovely Yeti for only 6.25 lacs - it is a wicked thing that the depreciation and market value of Skoda vehicles, however well looked after, is so low. And I broke a deposit and plugged the rest of the cash over to the Doctor, for the Mini.

This Little Red Devil Mini Cooper S (R56) is a 2012 August Model .

It was almost bought by Doctor, exactly around the time of its official launch in India.

Doctor had it brought down from Delhi in 2012 and registered via Navnit Motors in Bangalore.

It makes 184 bhp with its 1.6 litre Turbocharged petrol engine and pushes about 250Nm Torque.

This car came to me with Tubeless 205/55 tyres on 16 inch Black alloys. Luckily no RunFlat tyres. The tubeless tyres are just easier on our Indian road conditions.

It is truly a pocket rocket.

I love it.

And I hope to look after it well and use it for the next several years.

The Little Red Devil will be used as my primary vehicle and my daily driver.

My old restored Green Spitfire - the Gypsy can do all the utilitarian duties as and when.

Spain - Sep 2019.
Attachment 1940129

France - Sep 2019
Attachment 1940130

India - Nov 2019

Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven-imageuploadedbyteambhp1575072206.525032.jpg
Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven-imageuploadedbyteambhp1575072232.530384.jpg

Last edited by shankar.balan : 30th November 2019 at 05:59.
shankar.balan is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 30th November 2019, 09:02   #71
BANNED

Just adding a bit to this and then I will sign off on this thread and create a fresh one.

This morning my Dad and I took the Cooper on the Hosur Highway. We did about 80 kms up and down.

Little Red Devil was an absolute hoot to drive especially when one sticks it into Sports Mode. The growl and burble of the twin sports exhausts really sends the adrenaline flowing.

Indeed the Little Red Devil feels like a wonderful decision.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2019, 09:18   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And of course there were a couple of little red 1960's Mini's in Madras and Calcutta, which I used to see now and then on my visits there.
Congrats. We owned an original (self imported by sea) red Mini in the '80s in Chennai. I wish my dad hadnt sold the car. Have a few fond memories in it.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2019, 12:31   #73
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Congrats. We owned an original (self imported by sea) red Mini in the '80s in Chennai. I wish my dad hadnt sold the car. Have a few fond memories in it.

Was it an old Red 1959/ 1960 Mini ?
I have an idea I saw this car sometime in the year 2000 at Vivek's Garage in Seethammal Colony. He was asking 1.5 lac at that time - and I was just about selling him my old white narrow track soft top Gypsy for 75000/-.
Old 30th November 2019, 12:34   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Was it an old Red 1959/ 1960 Mini ?
I have an idea I saw this car sometime in the year 2000 at Vivek's Garage in Seethammal Colony. He was asking 1.5 lac at that time - and I was just about selling him my old white narrow track soft top Gypsy for 75000/-.
No idea man. It wasn't that old for sure. Was a more recent 80's example in red.

I remember sitting in the rear seat and a cow poked its head inside. Had the fright of my life for a 5 year old.

Dad liked all these mcahnical stuff, but for the life of me could not follow through on upkeep or maintenance.

Last edited by Red Liner : 30th November 2019 at 12:35.
Old 1st December 2019, 12:04   #75
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase Shankar!
I was eyeing this very car but you beat me to it.
18 lakhs is a decent price. Is this the R56 N LCI?
I am still looking out for a Cooper S.
Will connect with you offline.
Btw, You went missing from the Gypsy group.
Enjoy the MINI. I am sure it’s a hoot to drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks