Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2014, 11:54   #556
BHPian

re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav2703 View Post
- I lost one of the keys. On checking with the company, one spare keys comes with a heft price tag of Rs. 15,000/- (is it gold coated or diamond studded?!)
I think that such a hefty price tag is there, because maybe they will have to replace all the locks and unlocking mechanism in your car. That could be the only sensible reason actually, which would justify this price.
Old 24th April 2014, 15:58   #557
BHPian

Hey guys, I have a June 2013 Vento and I am not too impressed by the car. It's too noisy, the ride over speed humps is like falling down stairs wearing calipers and it just doesn't have the 'zing' factor. What I mean is, every new car I buy, I get excited as hell. But this one just felt boring.
Now to the point: Should I sell of my car and buy an Elantra. I know about every advantage of the Elantra over the Vento. But few questions-
1) Is the handling really as bad as they say it is?
2) Is 126 BHP enough for this car? In city traffic I really don't care about power, but sometimes I drive a little faster than normal (say 80 kph), does it feel underpowered then?
3) Is it alright to have 2 D1 cars in one house?
Old 24th April 2014, 19:26   #558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebfg View Post
Hey guys, I have a June 2013 Vento and I am not too impressed by the car. It's too noisy, the ride over speed humps is like falling down stairs wearing calipers and it just doesn't have the 'zing' factor. What I mean is, every new car I buy, I get excited as hell. But this one just felt boring.
Now to the point: Should I sell of my car and buy an Elantra. I know about every advantage of the Elantra over the Vento. But few questions-
2) Is 126 BHP enough for this car? In city traffic I really don't care about power, but sometimes I drive a little faster than normal (say 80 kph), does it feel underpowered then?
1. The handling is just right for the city. I haven't had any serious issues with the handling on the highways either. Let's face it. We are never going to drive like we are on a race track.
2. The power is more than adequate for city driving and you won't even notice that you have only 126 BHP on the highways.
3. Two D1 cars at home?should'nt make a difference if you replace the Vento with an Elantra. In fact the cabin of the Elantra is a nicer place to be in. However having an alternate hatch has its own convieniance.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th April 2014 at 12:30. Reason: Deleting mention of high speeds
Old 24th April 2014, 19:54   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Honestly Vento is a better handler than Elantra on highways. But Elantra is high on features, creature comfort and Safety features like 6 Aigbags, ESP, VSM.

126BHP may look a bit less but look at 260NM which is good for its weight (~1300KG). You can plug in a tuning box later to increase power/torque.

But you will miss solid build of a german car if you buy a korean.

Last edited by djay99 : 24th April 2014 at 19:55.
Old 25th April 2014, 12:19   #560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As someone who just bought a Vento TSI after seriously considering the Elantra, I can say this, in terms of handling the Elantra will be slightly better than the Vento though not as significantly as its segment may suggest.

I can't comment much on the diesel Elantra because I was considering the petrol but the short test drive that I did take on the diesel left me with two impressions - it is way noisier compared with the petrol engine (no surprises there), which is supremely refined, and the diesel felt adequate for city driving.

The reasons I chose the TSI over the Elantra were mainly two: 1. The TSI had a superior transmission/engine combo to the Elantra, which is relatively low tech (NA engine and TC auto). 2. I was wary of the Elantra's size, especially with a single person driving 90% of the time, and for parking at my workplace.

Lastly, during test drives the TSI brought a smile to my face, while the Elantra was competent like a Korean appliance. That clinched it - I felt I'd have more fun with the TSI.
Old 25th April 2014, 17:00   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
1. The handling is just right for the city. I haven't had any serious issues with the handling on the highways either. Let's face it. We are never going to drive like we are on a race track.
2. The power is more than adequate for city driving and you won't even notice that you have only 126 BHP on the highways.
3. Two D1 cars at home?should'nt make a difference if you replace the Vento with an Elantra. In fact the cabin of the Elantra is a nicer place to be in. However having an alternate hatch has its own convieniance.
Thanks for the response. After test driving it I felt that handling was just fine, nothing great but it handled better than my old Verna. But sometimes, I tend to corner pretty hard (nothing to street racerish). How would it handle then?
I already have the convenience of a small car with the Verna, but I have a Jetta. Would it send out a bad signal?
P.S. I only use Jetta and Innova for highway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Honestly Vento is a better handler than Elantra on highways. But Elantra is high on features, creature comfort and Safety features like 6 Aigbags, ESP, VSM.

126BHP may look a bit less but look at 260NM which is good for its weight (~1300KG). You can plug in a tuning box later to increase power/torque.

But you will miss solid build of a german car if you buy a korean.
I will miss the Vento's three stage doors with the Elantra (does it have them?) and the amazing way in which it cornered. The idea of a tuning box was considered with all the cars for sometime but then wifey didn't want to spend 62k to get a race chip for 4 cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
As someone who just bought a Vento TSI after seriously considering the Elantra, I can say this, in terms of handling the Elantra will be slightly better than the Vento though not as significantly as its segment may suggest.

I can't comment much on the diesel Elantra because I was considering the petrol but the short test drive that I did take on the diesel left me with two impressions - it is way noisier compared with the petrol engine (no surprises there), which is supremely refined, and the diesel felt adequate for city driving.

The reasons I chose the TSI over the Elantra were mainly two: 1. The TSI had a superior transmission/engine combo to the Elantra, which is relatively low tech (NA engine and TC auto). 2. I was wary of the Elantra's size, especially with a single person driving 90% of the time, and for parking at my workplace.

Lastly, during test drives the TSI brought a smile to my face, while the Elantra was competent like a Korean appliance. That clinched it - I felt I'd have more fun with the TSI.
Are you sure that it will handle better than the Vento? I don't think that it can match the control the Vento kept over the body. Diesel clatter wasn't too evident in the Elantra (cause if you are coming from a Vento diesel anything quieter than that is fantastic). You wouldn't call the engine low tech would you? I am pretty sure that the 1.6 Elantra is turbocharged or you may be talking about the 1.8. Size isn't a problem for me since I drive on nice, wide roads.
Thank you all for the help. I will wait for the Elantra refresh to come out. Then I will consider it properly.
Old 4th May 2014, 11:25   #562
BHPian

Hi all,

I read somewhere that there is an all new Elantra coming up later this year (not just a facelift that they did in 2013, but a whole new updated car). Does anyone know of such? Planning a D segment buy - am at the point of eliminating the Elantra just for this point - don't want an outdated car within less than a year of purchase.

Anyone light on this would be most helpful.
Old 4th May 2014, 16:01   #563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgkaran View Post
Hi all,

I read somewhere that there is an all new Elantra coming up later this year (not just a facelift that they did in 2013, but a whole new updated car). Does anyone know of such? Planning a D segment buy - am at the point of eliminating the Elantra just for this point - don't want an outdated car within less than a year of purchase.

Anyone light on this would be most helpful.

My guess is that it will be only a facelift. Any car company will run a model for at least 6 years before they bring in an all new version. Less than that may not be economically viable.
Old 5th May 2014, 10:59   #564
BHPian

The international facelift was launched last year. It has projector headlamps and LED rear lamps. Also the AC vent is repositioned for better airflow. Apart from this, some minor changes to the bumpers.
Old 5th May 2014, 11:36   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Cool View Post
The international facelift was launched last year. It has projector headlamps and LED rear lamps. Also the AC vent is repositioned for better airflow. Apart from this, some minor changes to the bumpers.

There is also talk of a 3.5 inch Oled screen an probably cooled seats at the rear also. These might bump up the cost to maybe a Lakh+.
Old 22nd May 2014, 20:56   #566
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,

Just wanted to check with the others on the forum with regards to any potential brake issues on the Elantra.

When I brake medium to hard on the Elantra it makes a loud sound which I can best describe as a grinding sound. Something like you know that the pads are actually gripping(more like rubber on rubber ). Not sure if any of you are experiencing the same.
Though I have driven a lot of other cars with ABS I have never heard sounds like this.

Pls help. The brake pads are good and have covered around 9000 Kms and have no stopping issues. It's a little disconcerting.

The service engineer has said that it is the ABS kicking in but i have my own doubts.

Plan to take a run on one of their test drive cars to check it out.
Old 1st June 2014, 23:10   #567
dmv
BHPian

If anybody has info on the fuel efficiency of the petrol AT, please share. I am considering buying one in the near future.
Current vehicle is a 2009 I10 AT and I get ~10 kmpl in the city with that 1.2L engine. So, a little concerned about how bad the elantra 1.8L AT is going to be.

Thanks !
Old 2nd June 2014, 18:58   #568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Hi all,

Just wanted to check with the others on the forum with regards to any potential brake issues on the Elantra.

When I brake medium to hard on the Elantra it makes a loud sound which I can best describe as a grinding sound. Something like you know that the pads are actually gripping(more like rubber on rubber ). Not sure if any of you are experiencing the same.
Though I have driven a lot of other cars with ABS I have never heard sounds like this.

Pls help. The brake pads are good and have covered around 9000 Kms and have no stopping issues. It's a little disconcerting.

The service engineer has said that it is the ABS kicking in but i have my own doubts.

Plan to take a run on one of their test drive cars to check it out.
I experience the sound in my diesel automatic as well. My service advisor also stated it to be the Abs kicking in.
Old 2nd June 2014, 19:22   #569
BHPian

Perhaps it is glazing on the brake pad. Try pulling out a hard stop from 80, then cool the brakes by running normally without touching the brakes. Repeat the cycle. Check if the noise is still there adter this treatment
Old 2nd June 2014, 23:02   #570
dmv
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmv View Post
If anybody has info on the fuel efficiency of the petrol AT, please share. I am considering buying one in the near future.
Current vehicle is a 2009 I10 AT and I get ~10 kmpl in the city with that 1.2L engine. So, a little concerned about how bad the elantra 1.8L AT is going to be.

Thanks !
Another related question regarding the warranty: Can any current elantra owners let me know the warranty period offered with it ? Google shows several links which say 4 yrs/100,000 kms. The sales guy says 2 yrs though.

Thanks !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks