Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2012, 10:26   #211
BHPian

re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

The all black interior looks so much more classy and upmarket compared to what we have.
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra-elantrainterior.jpg  

paras211 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 11:52   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Charger View Post
I have prepared a comparison chart of various D Segment Cars (Diesel Variant) and the Features that an Average Buyer would want to see in a 15L car.

The Elantra is stuffed to features and has almost everything that you would want to see in D segment car. The only thing missing is the Sunroof. With the amazing pricing, it becomes a complete VFM package from Hyundai.
Actually in your chart, the Cruze emerges as the clear winner- jawdropping performance, the only one to offer sunroof and so on. The Jetta clearly wins out of safety features but lacks the features almost hygiene factors in this segment: auto AC, leather seats, for example.

The comparison with Laura L&K seems off. I guess the Elegance trim is more in line with the Elantra price-wise and it would be nice to see what the Elantra offers over it. Also, the Laura manual is offered in a tuned down 110PS avatar, so one of the minuses for the Skoda should be that it does not offer a manual version.

Nice comparo, though!
Old 14th August 2012, 13:53   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by convivial View Post
big glove box with the opener on the right extreme end (no cooling or illumination, unfortunately)
It has cooling, as mentioned in the brochure too.

But I guess the features are going to show up in the production vehicle only and the ones at the showroom seem to be pre-production models.
Old 14th August 2012, 13:54   #214
BHPian

On Road Prices Bangalore:

Diesel:

Base: 16.50
SX: 18.60
AT: 19.80

Its priced against cruze....
Old 14th August 2012, 15:21   #215
R17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Actually in your chart, the Cruze emerges as the clear winner- jawdropping performance, the only one to offer sunroof and so on. The Jetta clearly wins out of safety features but lacks the features almost hygiene factors in this segment: auto AC, leather seats, for example.

The comparison with Laura L&K seems off. I guess the Elegance trim is more in line with the Elantra price-wise and it would be nice to see what the Elantra offers over it. Also, the Laura manual is offered in a tuned down 110PS avatar, so one of the minuses for the Skoda should be that it does not offer a manual version.

Nice comparo, though!
Reg the Cruze - Not really. Its only got more power (but also terrible lag so its not great shakes from a city driving perspective) and a sunroof but misses out on a bunch of things :- 2 airbags vs 6, no ESP, no VSM, no reverse camera, steering wheel telephone functionality, rear armrest with audio/misc controls, 2 zone climate control, ventilated seats and so on.

All of this, at the same price point !

Plus, the Cruze cant really differentiate itself from the Elantra in terms of build quality and handling, the way the European sedans can.

Last edited by R17 : 14th August 2012 at 15:24.
Old 14th August 2012, 16:49   #216
BHPian

Could you please elaborate? They must not have done the basic checks (PDI); the one I got in had been through PDI - that cannot change the perception inside out, but still. Was it the top model you drove?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchernish View Post
Just came back from Elantra Test drive (got one as the dealer is close friend-straight off the transport truck even before it was washed)-frankly speaking it was a let down.
Old 14th August 2012, 19:12   #217
BHPian

Yes it was the top model as it had seat ventilation features which I tried to check but couldn't as it had the seats covered in plastic . The Colour of the beige was not liked by my wife -it just does not feel like you are sitting in a 17 lacs car- that is the main downer. It was more refined than verna but on bad roads it shook like my verna- that sealed the coffin for me as No way I was going to pay so much and then remember that it was just an expensive Verna.
drchernish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 21:52   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R17

Reg the Cruze - Not really. Its only got more power (but also terrible lag so its not great shakes from a city driving perspective) and a sunroof but misses out on a bunch of things :- 2 airbags vs 6, no ESP, no VSM, no reverse camera, steering wheel telephone functionality, rear armrest with audio/misc controls, 2 zone climate control, ventilated seats and so on.

All of this, at the same price point !

Plus, the Cruze cant really differentiate itself from the Elantra in terms of build quality and handling, the way the European sedans can.
For someone who likes to drive - Elantra is no match for Cruze. Also Cruze has a sunroof which Elantra lacks. If you are chauffeur driven though - Elantra is a much better choice.
Old 15th August 2012, 04:39   #219
BHPian

Went to check it out today, and man... it is sexy!

Quality in everything is superb! Did not fiddle around too much, waiting for the TD car to come so that I can review it... till then, enjoy these two pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra-img2012081400049.jpg  

Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra-img2012081400050.jpg  

zen kobane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 09:17   #220
BHPian

I reckon Hyundai has successfully pulled off a great long-term game plan.

This new fluidic design is not going to age fast as new cars from other companies keep getting launched. In simpler words , This Elantra( or all fluidic cars) is the new 8th Gen Asian Civic design wise.

The civic was launched in 2006 and hasn't shown its age over time. That's going to be the case with this one as well.
Old 15th August 2012, 17:22   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Charger View Post
I have prepared a comparison chart of various D Segment Cars (Diesel Variant) and the Features that an Average Buyer would want to see in a 15L car.
How is it that the Laura is cramped and the Jetta is v.spacious? Both are essentially the same car under the skin
Old 15th August 2012, 18:32   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
How is it that the Laura is cramped and the Jetta is v.spacious? Both are essentially the same car under the skin
The Laura is based on previous gen Jetta . Latest Jetta has longer wheelbase.
Old 15th August 2012, 20:25   #223
BHPian

off the topic,
But the difference between New Jetta and Laura is not so much as to call one cramped and other spacious. I took test drive a week back in both of those.
Old 15th August 2012, 22:19   #224
BHPian

ot again : SK gets a revamped avante, we get an earlier version [apologies, if a repeat] :
2013 Hyundai Elantra gets sporty updates in South Korea
Old 15th August 2012, 23:30   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp 1 View Post
ot again : SK gets a revamped avante, we get an earlier version [apologies, if a repeat] :
2013 Hyundai Elantra gets sporty updates in South Korea
Bud, other than LED & Projector Lamps and 17" Alloys, there's nothing much of a difference from the Indian model! I actually prefer clear lamps than shadowed ones.

One can always import LED Lamps from Korea and get them installed here, and bam! you have a 2013 Elantra!

Most Viewed