Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2012, 14:45   #271
Team-BHP Support

re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch82 View Post
I test drove the Elantra diesel manual and automatic and I seriously do not understand that why would Hyundai make such an under powered car. I remember pressing the accelerator to the very bottom and still the engine took it's own sweet time to respond and show some acceleration. In bumper to bumper traffic and while over taking I was short of pulling my hair and banging my head on the steering wheel. Agreed the interiors are great but the engine cannot be so shamelessly slow. And the AT is more unresponsive than the manual transmission. Besides that the steering wheel was so "breezy" on "high speed" that it was making me nervous and uncomfortable. In my view the price fails to justify the product. The car is fine for unenthusiastic drivers but still then you need some amount of power under the hood to move forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
I had the same feeling when i drove the AT. I just couldn't understand why its reaction time was so slow !! I really don't think it beats my 5 year old Civic in terms of drivability. Overall the cars great for a more sober driver.
The Exteriors/Interiors are all racy while the car fails to deliver that promise.
I may still go ahead an buy it because no other car can offer me the value this car offers at 17.5 on road for a Diesel AT. Will take a call soon.
Yes, the diesel A/T does seem underpowered compared to competition. However, part of the reason is the way we drive A/Ts

In a M/T car, you would floor the pedal for best acceleration. However, in a diesel A/T you would get a downshift, and then the engine would be in 3500rpm range. At this range there is not much usable torque. Diesels make the max torque around 1800-2800rpm.

So if you want to get the most performance, you do not floor the pedal, you gently start depressing it, so as to "ride the torque". It gets time getting used to, if you are a manual driver.
In petrols, as the torque is produced at a higher rpm, this thing is not very annoying, however, in diesels, it is annoying unless you have a very intelligent A/T system.

That said, the diesel is an average performer, the weakest in the segment. Its the Verna engine in a heavier car. Not for the gung ho driver.

If you are the "floor it" guy, the Cruze makes better sense, or the Jetta, if it fits in your budget.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 19:37   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan_g View Post
Took a test drive of the Elantra yesterday afternoon.

......However, I do feel that the S variant is much more VFM than the base and would strongly recommend you look at it. Do remember that once you buy, the car will stay with you for a minimum of 3-5 years. You would definitely see the worth of the extra 80-90k if you think over that period.

I too was looking forward to getting the Verna SX(O) diesel around Diwali. Now strongly considering the Elantra. Very confused between the S and SX variant. Really want the following options (as the car will be self driven):
  • Front seat ventilation
  • 10-way adjustable power driver seat
But 17L+ is very much out of budget (almost 5L over the Verna SX(O) ). Will take a call when the time comes.

All the best for your decision making. Will look forward to your report on the final purchase.
Sir , many thanks for simplifying things !
I would be 80-90% chauffeur driven, so I would really not want to pay extra to warm my driver's backside or support his Lumbar spine . In that case would the Base Version be more VFM? Thanks in advance .
Old 24th August 2012, 19:52   #273
BHPian

For properly differentiating between Verna diesel and Elantra diesel, Hyundai can think about discontinuing the 1.6 CRDi option of Verna and offer it with 1.4 CRDi only.

This way, even though Verna and i20 would be sharing the same engine but one is a hatch and other is a sedan. So proper differentiation will be there among all 3 products.
Old 24th August 2012, 21:13   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drasitkhanna View Post
Sir , many thanks for simplifying things !
I would be 80-90% chauffeur driven, so I would really not want to pay extra to warm my driver's backside or support his Lumbar spine . In that case would the Base Version be more VFM? Thanks in advance .
Agreed! And that's why I suggested you the S variant and not SX. SX I was thinking for myself as for me it would be the other-way-around with 80-90% self driven.

The price difference between the Base and S in Delhi is around 84k. For that you get the following extra:
  1. ECM (Electro Chromic Mirror)
  2. Rear View Camera
  3. Front Fog Lamps
  4. Smart Key
  5. Outside Mirror - Retractable & Heated

From the above, in our disorganized roads and parking in India, points 2 & 5 are more of a safety feature than convenience (even if its going to be chauffeur driven). Point 5 you cannot get it installed from outside and although you can get a rear view camera installed from outside, I do feel that its difficult to get the quality/finishing of factory fitted product from 3rd party vendor (also as its a completely new can in the market). Point 3 too is an important feature and one should have it if the option is available (it is a huge help for me on our Delhi roads).

11 years back when I bought my first car, I went for the base model with the same thinking that I can get the extra stuff fitted from outside. Trust me, I do regret it till date and have made sure that every subsequent car being bought either for me or my family, is either the top model or the second in line but not the base.

I totally understand your dilemma, as am myself too am in the same boat as you with the debate between the S ans SX variant. 17L+ is completely out of budget for me as my initial budget and still the essential requirement is only for the Verna. But just do not feel like sitting back into the little sibling after test driving its older brother. The only 2 things which is a downer for me against the Elantra is the price of the SX (out of budget) and performance (diesel). So I have now thrown in the petrol SX (within budget and better performance) as well into my debate, with the option of buying a diesel hatchback sometime next year.

Will take a final call in the month of October when I am ready to buy.
Old 24th August 2012, 21:49   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta
For properly differentiating between Verna diesel and Elantra diesel, Hyundai can think about discontinuing the 1.6 CRDi option of Verna and offer it with 1.4 CRDi only.

This way, even though Verna and i20 would be sharing the same engine but one is a hatch and other is a sedan. So proper differentiation will be there among all 3 products.
That would be a bad move, in my opinion. The Verna is presently one of Hyundai's cash cows. Why downsize the engine and let the competition gain some advantage when 1.6 is the segment standard? They should rather give the Elantra a 2 litre engine that befits it.
But my guess is the Elantra will do well enough with the 1.6. It's a looker and the most value-for-money car in its segment. Besides Hyundai as a brand is much stronger than it was when the previous Elantra was launched. If the bare bone Corolla with a 1.4 litre engine can sell just because it's a Toyota, I see no reason why the Elantra, which in my opinion is a better product, shouldn't.
one-77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2012, 21:51   #276
BHPian

What is the ground clearance of the car? I did not see that revealed anywhere in the specs or even the Hyundai site. There are some car comparison sites showing it as 167mm. If this is true then with the suspension that Elantra has, the car will scrape through every bump.
Old 25th August 2012, 22:14   #277
BHPian

I took a test drive of the top-end manual elantra today. Some observations:

1.] It looks like a bigger Verna from the side.The design feels good but will age faster than say the jetta which has simple lines (and I love the jetta for its simple looks and that Audisque tail lights!)
2.] Interior plastics are good, but the jetta plastics are better. Central console has some tacky plastics which I didn't like, something similar to the aircon plastics in the jetta(which is the only sore spot).
3.] Overall space is comparable to the jetta, but without a high transmission tunnel. 5 people will be more comfortable in the elantra than the jetta because of this.
4.] The test drive was approximately about 5-6 Kms in the city with some open roads. The NVH is excellent. Power delivery was fairly linear (compared to my 2009 I20), engine feels adequately powered. As with most hyundais, steering is lifeless.
5.] Suspension good for the city, felt stiffer than my i20. Need to see how it performs on the highway but doubt it would be as good as the Europeans.
6.] Loaded with features. I especially loved the cooled seats. In comparison the jetta (even the highline) feels bare. Liked the audio controls at the rear. The front seat armrest is very usable.
7.] When I sat down for the first time, I felt there was no head room at the front. Then realised that the driver seat was positioned very high. After lowering the seat height I felt comfortable. The front windscreen is sharply raked.

Overall, a good effort by hyundai. I feel it will do good numbers. The sales person told me that they already had 70 bookings and the wait period is 5 weeks for the manual and 10 weeks for the auto.
I have booked a Jetta. Would I buy this over the Jetta? For me its an easy answer. NO. I have lived with a hyundai (i20 diesel) for over 3 years and 35K kms. It does all you ask for but without any excitement. And for some reason I felt the same with the elantra. Its a good car but I felt no excitement driving it. It was the opposite in the jetta (it was HL DSG). The Jetta TD was also about 5kms, but as soon as I had covered some distance, I felt excited. Jetta is definitely atleast 2 notches above elantra when it comes to driving experience. Otherwise, I say a good job Hyundai, but please do something about the steering.
Old 30th August 2012, 20:19   #278
BHPian

This is one vehicle which created much hype before launch on BHP but seems to have withered away post launch.

What happened? Forum interest has completely wained off and there is not a single ownership review to date. Actually, I am very much interested in the vehicle to take on the reins from our existing Jetta but tepid response on forum may just make me change my mind.
Old 31st August 2012, 00:06   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51
This is one vehicle which created much hype before launch on BHP but seems to have withered away post launch.

What happened? Forum interest has completely wained off and there is not a single ownership review to date. Actually, I am very much interested in the vehicle to take on the reins from our existing Jetta but tepid response on forum may just make me change my mind.
Why would you decide your buy based on forum activity instead of forum views and advice.
Elantra is a vfm buy IMHO. I was gonna book the cl jetta but now I am waiting to td the diesel auto.
Both are the same price. I get goodies instead of power handling and snob. If the rear is not bouncy I am buying it. Plus I am sure it's gonna be cheaper to maintain.
Are you an enthusiastic driver? Do you rip her on the highways? I do but I ve got my slightly done up corolla for that.
I want a commuter. Why not commute with veltilated seats and low service costs AND reliability that eludes the Germans even after charging a bomb.

I am so happy with my corolla and it's low maintain. The clutch costs 8k. Its frugal and fast. 14 kmpl on the highway and 15.9 sec quarter mile.

Last edited by paras211 : 31st August 2012 at 00:11.
Old 4th September 2012, 10:06   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
1.8L Petrol

I had a chance to drive the Petrol engine for a very short distance, thus the following are only first impressions (and not a full review). This is an all-new 1.8L petrol engine. The motor is rated for 147 BHP (@ 6,500 rpm) and 177 Nm of peak torque (@ 4,700 rpm). The Elantra petrol is very refined and power delivery is fairly linear. The low rpm throttle response in the petrol is naturally better than the diesel Elantra, due to the absence of a turbo.
Hi Tanveer, a question to you and other fellow members - I am out in the market looking for a petrol car in this segment. All the while I had Laura 1.8 TSI at the top of the list, drove it and loved it. Though, the only big thing that still worries me is the horror stories surrounding skoda but I have almost made up my mind to try out my luck. But then after taking a look at elantra and again reading your review, I am bound to think, whether I should be buying the Elantra petrol over the laura. I am scheduled for a test drive this weekend. However, would like to get views from you and other fellow members.
Old 4th September 2012, 10:30   #281
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Aterkar View Post
Hi Tanveer, a question to you and other fellow members - I am out in the market looking for a petrol car in this segment. All the while I had Laura 1.8 TSI at the top of the list, drove it and loved it. Though, the only big thing that still worries me is the horror stories surrounding skoda but I have almost made up my mind to try out my luck. But then after taking a look at elantra and again reading your review, I am bound to think, whether I should be buying the Elantra petrol over the laura. I am scheduled for a test drive this weekend. However, would like to get views from you and other fellow members.
Feature and comfort wise, there is not much lacking in the elantra. So from the price point, its good value. However, you have to decide how much outright power and handling mean to you. Why not take a TD, and if its fine on engine and handling front, go for the elantra(its cheaper!)
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 10:52   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Feature and comfort wise, there is not much lacking in the elantra. So from the price point, its good value. However, you have to decide how much outright power and handling mean to you. Why not take a TD, and if its fine on engine and handling front, go for the elantra(its cheaper!)
Thanks Tanveer! I am looking for a driver's car and hence laura TSI figures at the top but as you mentioned, will test drive the elantra to see what I am missing against laura in terms of driving pleasure. Though one point to be noted here is that skoda is throwing HUGE discounts on the laura petrol, which is making the whole proposition very attractive. Just to put numbers on table, Elantra S is ~ 15 lakhs OTR Mumbai and SX is 16.4 lakhs while the laura TSI (as per August discounts) might come cheaper than the Elantra S. Hows that for a deal!
Old 4th September 2012, 12:05   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Aterkar View Post
Thanks Tanveer! I am looking for a driver's car and hence laura TSI figures at the top but as you mentioned, will test drive the elantra to see what I am missing against laura in terms of driving pleasure. Though one point to be noted here is that skoda is throwing HUGE discounts on the laura petrol, which is making the whole proposition very attractive. Just to put numbers on table, Elantra S is ~ 15 lakhs OTR Mumbai and SX is 16.4 lakhs while the laura TSI (as per August discounts) might come cheaper than the Elantra S. Hows that for a deal!
Go for the tsi if you are looking for a drivers car. The turbo will give you smiles compared to the hyundai na engine.
The handling is going to be superior, I have not driven the elantra yet thou.
The maintain more expensive in the skoda.
I would buy the skoda.
paras211 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 12:22   #284
BHPian

Shreyas,

Outside india, Elantras are seen among taxis mostly in their lowest trim. i have been in earlier generation elantra ( which never made it to india), i was not impressed at all. Then again, camry is also common among taxis. If you can afford skoda costs, comfortable with rear seats and if badge value means something to you, please chuck elantra.
Old 4th September 2012, 12:46   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
Go for the tsi if you are looking for a drivers car. The turbo will give you smiles compared to the hyundai na engine.
The handling is going to be superior, I have not driven the elantra yet thou.
The maintain more expensive in the skoda.
I would buy the skoda.
Thanks for the reply Paras211! I am also inclined to go for the TSI. Would drive the elantra this Saturday before finalizing though. As put rightly the only thing that is leaving some doubts in my mind is the skoda ***.

Elantra came into the picture due to the overall package at an attractive pricing, also what makes the proposition attractive is the plethora of features which the laura lacks (though it makes up for those with sheer driving pleasure). Hence, thought of asking whats the opinion of fellow bhpians before deciding.

@ blackbeast: Thanks for the reply! You are right, before purchasing the skoda laura, I will have to have my mind aligned towards higher expected maintenance costs which I have never experienced with my 8 years of ownership of the esteem. So its driving pleasure, badge, solid built car v/s a relatively more reliable, rich featured car. As of now the balance is towards the former :-)

Last edited by Shreyas Aterkar : 4th September 2012 at 12:54. Reason: To avoid back to back replies

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks