Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2012, 23:39   #346
BHPian

re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
According to Autocar India's petrol shootout this month, the Elantra ranked the lowest amongst its other contemporaries like the Jetta, Altis and the Laura (in that order).

Attachment 993076

Quite surprising as I was hoping the Elantra to be a more solid product but in the end it turned out like the other current breeds of Hyundai's. More show than substance.
Though i have also heard a few negative things about Petrol also but still a few questions ...

Jetta and Elantra have got the same number of stars , so why is the Elantra at the bottom ? Why not the Jetta ?
The Laura is quoted as the cheapest amongst them but the price printed is higher ? Are the compared versions different ? (14.2 vs 13.7)http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...comparison.png
The equipment list of Laura is much shorter than Elantra's ( no Reverse camera, keyless go, dual ACC {!!},No USB Port, No powered drivers seat.) So how is it sheer value for money (a.c.w ELantra ??)

(I'm not defending the Elantra.. Just need a balanced opinion. Thanks !)
Old 29th September 2012, 01:20   #347
BHPian

With the amount of problems I've read and heard about from my peers I doubt its justified to rate a product which breaks within a year! Skoda & VW that is. German cars are just too delicate for our harsh weather conditions... And then the spare parts are almost double!

About 0-100: What I've read in other places - 9.3 s (even as claimed by their USA website)
About Fuel Efficiency: Where are the numbers? And I'm sure a higher BHP car will be less efficient... Confusing review!

But otherwise, Im sure Skoda is a better drive, but is it that important when youre driving in a city with bumper to bumper traffic? I feel the comfort is much more important for such conditions, when youre stuck in a traffic jam for hours and kms... I feel the luxury provided by Elantra, is beyond and efficient enough to make up for the power driving it lacks.

Lets dig out a CRDI comparison also... though that would be unfair

Last edited by zen kobane : 29th September 2012 at 01:39.
Old 29th September 2012, 08:49   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drasitkhanna View Post
Jetta and Elantra have got the same number of stars , so why is the Elantra at the bottom ? Why not the Jetta ?

Just need a balanced opinion.
While summing it up, ACI usually starts with the least capable and moves on to the ultimate choice. And I thought ACI reviews were always quite balanced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen kobane View Post
German cars are just too delicate for our harsh weather conditions...
That is a very broad unsubstantiated statement to make. There are lots of happy owners of these 'German' cars. After sales though, is an issue.
Old 29th September 2012, 17:09   #349
BHPian

Quote:
That is a very broad unsubstantiated statement to make. There are lots of happy owners of these 'German' cars. After sales though, is an issue.
Im sure there must be, but as I mentioned, in my peer group... I know atleast 40+ people who own a Skoda or a VW and they all report very similar issues. AC goes junk after 2 years, slightest problem in suspension costs a whole replacement, engine issues... One of my VW owning friends, is in the middle of a law suit against VW, for Engine issues which they are not ready to accept 'officially'.

You don't change engine heads without informing the customer and engine heads shouldn't go junk in 8 months...
Old 29th September 2012, 17:15   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know atleast 40+ people who own a Skoda or a VW and they all report very similar issues.
Well, the Reliability Polls going on TeamBhp suggests otherwise - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tronics-7.html Kindly advise your friends to report on that topic so we can have a more complete and 'actual' picture rather than hearsay.
Old 29th September 2012, 17:20   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Kindly advise your friends to report on that topic so we can have a more complete and 'actual' picture rather than hearsay.
They aint on this forum and I doubt they will be any time soon. But Ill definitely ask them to do so.
Old 30th September 2012, 18:48   #352
BHPian

Quote:
While summing it up, ACI usually starts with the least capable and moves on to the ultimate choice. And I thought ACI reviews were always quite balanced.

Ya, ACI is very balanced , so nowhere will they say xyz car is at the bottom , they will say xyz car is Ranked AMONGST THE BOTTOM CARS ! Anyway, wordplay aside ...
Where's your post gone ?
And what about my other questions ?

I would also disagree with zenkobane , German build and quality is supposed to be legendary . In fact they lay so much emphasis on build strength / solid nature they use up all their money in that and have nothing left for BEAUTY and the so called bells and whistles we Indians like so much !
Old 30th September 2012, 18:53   #353
BHPian

A little OT : I was wondering just how these automags rave about the car after the prelaunch review. And not they have a totally different view on the car. if a car doesn't handles well, it doesn't handles well during the prelaunch review or the post launch comparo. Whom to trust. Sigh.
Old 2nd October 2012, 17:11   #354
BHPian

Another OT. Around 1400 units sold already and still no intial ownership report on Team-BHP? Is it because of the waiting period or no one from Team-BHP has bought one
Old 2nd October 2012, 22:10   #355
Senior - BHPian

I have been holding back to write this. The car looks absolutely gorgeous. The curves are beautifully done and the design from every angle. Not just the elantra but the verna as well.

Looks, accessories, equipment and package - One of the best in the segments if not the top most.

The build quality on the interiors are comparable to every other car in this segment and looking carefully there is a lot of similarity in materials used with the new generation European cars.

The car feels fantastic and owning a Jetta , i can say the build feel is very good.

On city roads the car drives like a breeze and in bad roads the noise or the composure of the car is slightly taking a hit for the suspension is still not stiff enough to eat those bad roads comfortably.

GC is pretty good. Highway composure is pretty good and i mildly felt 120+ is something where you are probably starting to push the car dynamics and is not as assuring as my Jetta. I am talking about 120+ speeds and please do not take any offence here. Driving my Jetta over 2 years now and taking this beauty for a good 20km by pass drive,my comments are just a reaction. Will do a couple of drives to consolidate how it feels.

The noise is well controlled. The beading and engine side covering can be a tad better to give that completely relaxed feeling inside. This goes to most of the D segment cars.

Seats are very comfortable and access to some of the frequently used functions are well designed as well.

Overall i feel this design and drive is a great improvement for Hyundai. Again the car is gorgeous.
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:18   #356
BHPian

Since the announcement of Elantra's India launch, I've been curious to see someone do a 'Verna vs Elantra Head-to-Head' Pictorial Review.

Im seriously curious to see the visual differences when kept next to eachother. Can someone (with an eye for details) do an in-depth comparison or link me to one?
Old 4th October 2012, 12:06   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Since the announcement of Elantra's India launch, I've been curious to see someone do a 'Verna vs Elantra Head-to-Head' Pictorial Review.

Im seriously curious to see the visual differences when kept next to eachother. Can someone (with an eye for details) do an in-depth comparison or link me to one?
Honestly, i find it extremely tough to differentiate between verna and elantra while looking at them in my rear-view mirror. Great styling but Elantra doesn't look like a premium vehicle (from outside, on the streets) since it's so much similar to Verna. !!!!
Old 4th October 2012, 17:26   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
Great styling but Elantra doesn't look like a premium vehicle (from outside, on the streets) since it's so much similar to Verna. !!!!
Lol true about similarities, but when you sit inside one and drive one, you will feel the premiumness of the vehicle! But its sad that mostly all the companies are following this trend, the 'Small-Medium-Large-XLarge' thing, which IMHO was started by Honda! Fabia-Rapid-Laura-Superb, Polo-Vento-Jetta-Passat, i20-Verna-Elantra-Sonata and so on...

But other than that, Elantra is definitely premium, and I still want to see a pictorial comparison, out of curiosity!
zen kobane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2012, 01:07   #359

Can any one tell me which car has more leg room in the back the elantra, fluence ,Laura or Jetta.

Took a test drive in the diesel auto elantra and found it to be a brilliant car for the city. Since I drive mainly in the city and do about 1200 kms per month I am looking at the auto diesel elantra or auto petrol fluence.

The rear space did not seem to be that much , seems less than a corolla even though the wheel base is larger.

Have not done a test drive in the fluence as yet but will do shortly. Worried that the *** will be poor as Renault sell very few petrol autos .

Any advise will be welcome
Old 6th October 2012, 22:05   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcecpl View Post
Took a test drive in the diesel auto elantra and found it to be a brilliant car for the city. Since I drive mainly in the city and do about 1200 kms per month I am looking at the auto diesel elantra or auto petrol fluence.
What car do you drive, since you liked the drive, there must be a sense of comparison.

Also, I think Elantra's rear space is best in its class. And the almost-flat rear floor, makes it comfortable for 3. I did not choose Jetta solely for the reason that it had this 8" high transmission running through the rear floor, and I dont think I wanted a chauffeur driven car, where its meant for executives with not more than 2 people behind. I want a car I can take around, with friends and occasionally filling up more than 4 people in it Jetta is more of Executive style. Cruze and Laura's rear space is also quite crampy.

Last edited by zen kobane : 6th October 2012 at 22:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks