Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2015, 16:19   #631
BHPian

re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

In my ongoing series of 'the dumbest question', i have one more. On the outside, there is a small circular latch (about 2 inches in dia) with a small triangle printed, right below the front driver side headlamp (below the hexagonal grill). Does anyone know its funcitonality. I tried to pry it out but then didnt force it. Is there a chance that this could be the headlamp washer.
Old 9th February 2015, 16:47   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskaracs View Post
In my ongoing series of 'the dumbest question', i have one more. On the outside, there is a small circular latch (about 2 inches in dia) with a small triangle printed, right below the front driver side headlamp (below the hexagonal grill). Does anyone know its funcitonality. I tried to pry it out but then didnt force it. Is there a chance that this could be the headlamp washer.
In all likelyhood, its the access for the area to screw the tow hook in place, for towing your car. Had been the headlamp washer, you would have seen it on the left hand side too!

Cheers
Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 18:32   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
In all likelyhood, its the access for the area to screw the tow hook in place, for towing your car. Had been the headlamp washer, you would have seen it on the left hand side too!
Let me check. On that note, shouldn't the tow hook be in the center?
Old 9th February 2015, 18:50   #634
BHPian

Quote:
Let me check. On that note, shouldn't the tow hook be in the center?
Not necessarily. Even on my C Class, its between the right headlamp and the central airdam.

Rohan
Old 11th February 2015, 16:19   #635
BHPian

I was planning to buy extended warranty for my Elantra about 3 months ago which i bought it from Hyundai Motor Plaza, chennai.

1. At the time of registration, dealer suggested extended warranty could be bought during the first free maintenance check (2 months or 1500km)

2. At this time when I enquired, they said given the car is only two months old, i should wait for 1-2 more months as they are expecting warranty specific offers to be rolled out by Hyundai which i could profit from

3. Finally, when i checked with them today, they are saying no extended warranty is available for Elantra, Sonata and Santa Fe (considered the premium vehicles from Hyundai stable)

Elantra comes with a standard warranty of four years or 100,000km. I wanted to extend it by another 1-2 years. But they say it is just not available. has anyone bought xtended warranty on Elantra before? Some light please.

Edit: I spoke with customer care too. They too confirmed that only Elantra (everything else does - inlcuding Sonata and Santa Fe) doesn't come with extended warranty.

Last edited by bhaskaracs : 11th February 2015 at 16:41.
bhaskaracs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 16:46   #636
BHPian

Quote:
3. Finally, when i checked with them today, they are saying no extended warranty is available for Elantra, Sonata and Santa Fe (considered the premium vehicles from Hyundai stable)

Elantra comes with a standard warranty of 3 years or 100,000km. I wanted to extend it by another 1-2 years. But they say it is just not available. has anyone bought xtended warranty on Elantra before? Some light please.
We bought the 1.6 Diesel SX AT mid 2014. I had checked during purchase and was informed there was no extended warranty being offered on the Elantra as it already came with a 48 months / 1 Lac km warranty. Attached is a scan from the manual. You should double check yours too. Unless HMIL changed the warranty terms subsequent to our purchase, I would assume your car also has a cover of 48 months (and not 36).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Elantra owners manual.pdf (2.60 MB, 540 views)
manuc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 17:02   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuc View Post
I would assume your car also has a cover of 48 months (and not 36).
Yes it does. I accidentally wrote 3 years and later edited my note to correct it to 4. Thanks.
Old 17th February 2015, 11:41   #638
BHPian

Quote:
I was referring to the illumination levels on high beam which cannot be adjusted. And no, i am not a big fan of white bulbs. Also, I am unsure if we are legally allowed to use such bulbs.

That brings me to a point. Are there prescribed limits on illumination when you are plying on roads. Again, enforcement it is a different matter, by the same spirit one is supposed to have the top half of their head lamp glasses blackened.
Recently installed a cree bar light 42 inches on the roof with the help of supports on the sides. i do a lot of night driving and encounter quite heavy fog in winters too but it is 100% on the highway. the drive has completely changed and the lights are so effective that one does not need headlights now . It is more like driving in day light now. However should not be used when u can avoid using the same. These lights are simply awesome
Old 17th February 2015, 15:40   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepu Sharma View Post
Recently installed a cree bar light 42 inches on the roof with the help of supports on the sides. i do a lot of night driving and encounter quite heavy fog in winters too but it is 100% on the highway. the drive has completely changed and the lights are so effective that one does not need headlights now . It is more like driving in day light now. However should not be used when u can avoid using the same. These lights are simply awesome
Thank you. Can you please share a couple of pics of your Elantra with these lights installed. Front fascia and side profile please if you can. Thank you.
Old 22nd February 2015, 09:32   #640
BHPian

I've heard that the clutch of Hyundai Elantra needs replacement at around 45000 kms and it will cost rs 40,000 upwards.

In such a case it becomes more expensive to maintain. What are the other choices how about fluence or Cruze. I am buying it primarily for highway running.
Old 22nd February 2015, 11:39   #641
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Elantra comes with a standard warranty of four years or 100,000km. I wanted to extend it by another 1-2 years. But they say it is just not available. has anyone bought xtended warranty on Elantra before? Some light please.

Edit: I spoke with customer care too. They too confirmed that only Elantra (everything else does - inlcuding Sonata and Santa Fe) doesn't come with extended warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuc View Post
We bought the 1.6 Diesel SX AT mid 2014. I had checked during purchase and was informed there was no extended warranty being offered on the Elantra as it already came with a 48 months / 1 Lac km warranty.
This is not surprising. Hyundai's standard warranty for their other cars in India is 2 years (unlimited km). This is the case for private vehicles; cars with yellow board registrations do have a limit on the number of kilometres (I think it's 40 000 km).

One can also purchase an extended warranty for one year, two years or three years - for a total warranty period of three, four or five years on private cars. These come with a mileage limit of 60 000 km, 80 000 km and 100 000 km respectively.

So the maximum (standard + extended) warranty that can be had on a Hyundai vehicle in India is 5 years or 1 lac kilometres (whichever is earlier), with the standard warranty being limited to 2 years. Since the Elantra already comes with a far better standard warranty of 4 years or 1 lac km compared to other Hyundai cars in India, I think they saw no need to offer an extended warranty. Generally, extended warranties (provided by arrangements with insurance companies) don't cover as many vehicle systems/parts compared to standard manufacturer warranties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hishamkabir View Post
I've heard that the clutch of Hyundai Elantra needs replacement at around 45000 kms and it will cost rs 40,000 upwards.
Generally, the clutch is a component whose life is greatly determined by the manner in which it is used or abused. There is no hard and fast rule that the clutch (of any car) needs to be replaced after a certain number of kilometres.

In a car with heavy usage of the clutch (such as in stop-go city traffic), it would wear out faster than a car with low clutch usage (primarily driven on highways). If it's badly abused frequently (raising the engine revs at a standstill & dumping the clutch, constantly riding the clutch pedal etc.) it may get worn out rapidly. A clutch that's properly used would last much, much longer.

So don't get disheartened by hearsay that the Elantra's clutch needs replacement after a specific number of km, for it may be because that particular car saw frequent use/abuse of the clutch. If the car is going to be primarily driven on highways and the clutch is not abused, it should last for a long while.

Last edited by RSR : 22nd February 2015 at 12:05.
Old 22nd February 2015, 17:05   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hishamkabir View Post

In such a case it becomes more expensive to maintain. What are the other choices how about fluence or Cruze. I am buying it primarily for highway running.
What is your sample size with Neo Fluidic Elantra? How many cars are actually driven more than 45000km in the two years it was launched? Unless the entire mechanics is lifted and shifted from its predecessor. Then you have a decent sample.
Old 16th March 2015, 00:09   #643
BANNED

Test drove a Elantra today at Trident Hyundai: I was told that a new elantra is coming on 29th march. All old stock has been sold.
Old 17th March 2015, 15:50   #644
BHPian

I tried to check on the Elantra petrol here in Chennai; they said there is no Elantra thats available in stock and there is a facelift thats getting launched by end of March,which will come with Projector head lamps, DRLs, Tail lamp changes and improved tuning to the intake and injection. The SA says that the deliveries will begin from first week of April onwards. I am not sure if I have to believe him and wait or attemp at Altis, (which is atleast a lakh more variant for variant).
Old 17th March 2015, 17:03   #645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car&me View Post
I tried to check on the Elantra petrol here in Chennai; they said there is no Elantra thats available in stock and there is a facelift thats getting launched by end of March,which will come with Projector head lamps, DRLs, Tail lamp changes and improved tuning to the intake and injection. The SA says that the deliveries will begin from first week of April onwards. I am not sure if I have to believe him and wait or attemp at Altis, (which is atleast a lakh more variant for variant).
IMO, the facelift will address the price differential b/w Altis and Elantra rendering that evaluation parameter redundant.

I personally feel cheated because I bought an Elantra in November 2014 when I was told by the SA that the facelift cannot happen until mid 2016 because he applied the logic of any incumbent variant (launched in 2012) needing about four years of fair run until it gets bested by its successor. I will not be worried if it is mere cosmetic changes like the ones you mentioned, but will be terribly disappointed if they launch the global Avante (launched in 2013/4) with Sunroof, touch screen ICE and seat ventilation for rear passengers.

Last edited by bhaskaracs : 17th March 2015 at 17:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks