Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2015, 22:14   #691

re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

We all know that elantra doesn't come with any distance to empty / Fuel consumption meter.

However the international versions seem to have it.

So is there anyway we can somehow activate the features. Or did Hyundai decided to just remove the sensors all together.?

Has anyone tried it before? Considering we are living in a time where someone can even bump up the Horse power for a vehicle with a single chip.
Old 29th May 2015, 13:35   #692
BHPian

I am close to clocking 5000km on my Elantra next week. I am planning to do an engine oil change next week in a local service center in my street. I drive a CRDI AT. Can someone guide me which brand/viscosity/grade oil should i be purchasing from the vendor? I know there are some details mentioned in the owners manual - but i could not make much from it beyond the volume needed - about 5.2l and the fact that it is synthetic oil.
Old 29th May 2015, 13:40   #693
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskaracs View Post
I am close to clocking 5000km on my Elantra next week. I am planning to do an engine oil change next week in a local service center in my street. I drive a CRDI AT. Can someone guide me which brand/viscosity/grade oil should i be purchasing from the vendor? I know there are some details mentioned in the owners manual - but i could not make much from it beyond the volume needed - about 5.2l and the fact that it is synthetic oil.
Any particular reasons to avoid the ASC even when your car is new? I hope you realize that you lose manufacturer warranty as well.

Regards.
Old 29th May 2015, 19:10   #694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Any particular reasons to avoid the ASC even when your car is new? I hope you realize that you lose manufacturer warranty as well.
Are you suggesting a mere oil change will void my warranty? Even if i have vouchers to prove i have used the right oil specs recommended by Hyundai for this car?
Old 30th May 2015, 10:49   #695
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are you suggesting a mere oil change will void my warranty? Even if i have vouchers to prove i have used the right oil specs recommended by Hyundai for this car?
Yes sir. Precisely. For that reason, I suggest you to stick to the ASC at least until you have warranty on your car. The labor charges for the initial services would be free anyways. So why to take the car to FNG at this stage?

Regards.
Old 30th May 2015, 21:19   #696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Yes sir. Precisely. For that reason, I suggest you to stick to the ASC at least until you have warranty on your car. The labor charges for the initial services would be free anyways. So why to take the car to FNG at this stage?

Regards.

4 year/100,000 is a great warranty for us. Don't breach it for an oil replacement. Though they won't know about it unless they send a sample for testing.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 13:07   #697
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elantra CRDI AT: Engine Oil

Hi,

I recently got the 1st year (or 10K km) service done at Himgiri Hyundai in Gurgaon. The car (Elantra SX CRDI, AT) had done < 7K km on the ODO.

When I asked the SA what brand of synthetic oil they use, I was told that they use regular mineral oil of Shell Helix brand having a life of 10K km; and that it was recommended by Hyundai. I was quite surprised as I expected that they would recommend using Synthetic for a car in this category.

Can others who have done an oil change confirm this is the case for the Elantra CRDI?

On another note the total bill for the service came to ₹5410/- (incl. Engine Oil; Air & Oil filters; Wheel alignment & balancing labour; balancing weight service lubrication; wiper fluid). FYI, the guidance price provided on the Hyundai website (< ₹3K) is misleading since it only includes Engine Oil, Air & Oil Filter cost.

Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 14:54   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuc View Post
Hi,

Can others who have done an oil change confirm this is the case for the Elantra CRDI? On another note the total bill for the service came to ₹5410/- (incl. Engine Oil; Air & Oil filters; Wheel alignment & balancing labour; balancing weight service lubrication; wiper fluid). FYI, the guidance price provided on the Hyundai website (< ₹3K) is misleading since it only includes Engine Oil, Air & Oil Filter cost.

Thanks
I got an oil change after 5000km and the total cost of replacing engine oil and oil filter was 2228 inlcusive of taxes. They used Shell 15W40 which is mineral oil. I have no issues using mineral oil until at least I touch about 15000-20000km. During the run-in period (extended one upto 10000km) mineral oil is advised compared to Syntheic oil due to the latters superior lubricating properties. I will most likely go for synthetic oil during my third oil change - near the 15k mark.

On the cost bit, i think you have opted for wheel balancing and few other items which added to the cost. Like i said just changing oil and oil filter cost me 2228.

Last edited by bhaskaracs : 2nd June 2015 at 14:55.
Old 3rd June 2015, 11:57   #699
BHPian

Quote:
I got an oil change after 5000km and the total cost of replacing engine oil and oil filter was 2228 inlcusive of taxes. They used Shell 15W40 which is mineral oil. I have no issues using mineral oil until at least I touch about 15000-20000km. During the run-in period (extended one upto 10000km) mineral oil is advised compared to Syntheic oil due to the latters superior lubricating properties. I will most likely go for synthetic oil during my third oil change - near the 15k mark.
Thanks for the confirmation. I was informed that they don't use or offer synthetic oil as an option at the A.S.S. for any mileage service of the Elantra; so I assume one would need to get this done at an independent garage.

In any case, mineral oil is not a problem for me as my running is low and I take very good care of all cars I own. Since Hyundai feels that mineral oil is sufficient, I don't see any reason to spend more money. Rather spend more on Diesel with the money saved and visit new places
Old 6th July 2015, 10:39   #700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
Hi Arjun,

Can you please post some pics of your Head unit and how you have installed it? Did you get the replacement fascia?

I am interested in installing a Pioneer 7" HU.

Thanks.
Hi i recently installed a pioneer 8690 in my elantra and mated it to a bit ten a kicker amp hertz hi energy comps in front and coaxials at the rear. The set up is awesome and would bring a smile to any audio loving people's face. Will post some pictures of the same for all to see.

Quote:
Hi Bhaskar i have done about 45 k on my diesel elantra and synthetic is the way to go . If u can get Mobil 1 thats the best on the market. You will notice the difference immediately. However no point in getting this done at 5k and should stick to the the 10 k schedule as adviced by Hyundai.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 13th July 2015 at 09:56. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts. Please use the Multi-Quote button to reply to more than one post at a time. Thanks.
Deepu Sharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 16:04   #701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepu Sharma View Post
Hi i recently installed a pioneer 8690 in my elantra and mated it to a bit ten a kicker amp hertz hi energy comps in front and coaxials at the rear. The set up is awesome and would bring a smile to any audio loving people's face. Will post some pictures of the same for all to see.
Eagerly waiting for your pictures.

Please post some commentary and pictures on user experience (audio, video, touch, navigation, overall product usage convenience etc.).

How is it going to affect the controls on the rear seat arm rest? Are they in syn with your new set up?
Old 10th July 2015, 09:04   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Eagerly waiting for your pictures.

Please post some commentary and pictures on user experience (audio, video, touch, navigation, overall product usage convenience etc.).

How is it going to affect the controls on the rear seat arm rest? Are they in syn with your new set up?
Hi Bhaskar
the user experience is awesome in one word and the steering controls work good too. However the rear arm rest controls will not function on this set up. In my case i hardly used it as most of the time i am driving myself. The latest apple car play also works on the 8690 as i have updated the system to the latest version and if you have an iphone Its Magic in the car.It does not support navigation though has video out and planning to upgrade to rear headrest monitors in the near future. The audio experience is one of a kind and the audison bit ten does a remarkable job here. This would put a lot of upmarket set ups to shame and that too without a subwoofer installed.
Attaches a couple of pics for your reference and as for the audio quality the same can be witnessed in person only.
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra-pioneer.jpg  

Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra-pioneer-2.jpg  

Deepu Sharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 20:03   #703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepu Sharma View Post
Hi Bhaskar
It does not support navigation though has video out and planning to upgrade to rear headrest monitors in the near future
Congratulations. it looks very good. Few questions on use of ease:

1) It appears the AVN unit is 'housed' inside the dashboard with its 'button' controls very close to the floor of the housing. How easy is it to operate those controls - is there enough place for your fingers to actually feel and press the control? I am not refering to the touch control but the physical buttons
2) The entire HU is replaced with Pioneer has probably led sacrificing the CD changer to. So i am assuming you cannot play CDs anymore. Is it correct?
3) So do you continue to use your mobile phone for navigation?

Thanks

Last edited by bhaskaracs : 10th July 2015 at 20:04.
Old 10th July 2015, 21:56   #704
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Guys. The good thing is that it supports CarPlay. The interface also looks excellent. Not sure of the sound quality,I am going to trust Deepu on it,but I am going to call a spade a spade.
I have say that the entire system looks extremely after market. No where close to the fit and finish of say a Mega Audio made for the Elantra. Though you just can't compare a Mega Audio with a Pioneer(this is familiar territory for Hyundai a few years ago. Lol)
The car interior aesthetics are as important to me as sound.The rear controls not working with this is also a big disappointment.
This is strictly just my opinion with no offence meant to Deepu's choice of Pioneer.
Maybe he is a music buff and I am not.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 10th July 2015 at 22:05.
Old 13th July 2015, 09:11   #705
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations. it looks very good. Few questions on use of ease:

1) It appears the AVN unit is 'housed' inside the dashboard with its 'button' controls very close to the floor of the housing. How easy is it to operate those controls - is there enough place for your fingers to actually feel and press the control? I am not refering to the touch control but the physical buttons
2) The entire HU is replaced with Pioneer has probably led sacrificing the CD changer to. So i am assuming you cannot play CDs anymore. Is it correct?
3) So do you continue to use your mobile phone for navigation?

Thanks
Hi Bhaskar reference to your queries 1. There is absolutely no trouble in access to controls over the head unit although you hardly need to use them as most of the controls are operated from the steering wheel or the touch screen itself.
2. The CD player is not sacrificed as the unit plays both CD and DVD and in addition has two USB ports. The CD's are housed behind the screen along with a slot for SD card too
3. Navigation is something i dont use as the same is not required however easily accessible over the phone in case someone needs.

The main factor for going in for this unit was it can play multiple formats which one cannot play over the regular oe unit including video and FLAC. Apart from this i get quality sound which is miles ahead of the OE unit.

Shall post more pictures of the the functionality part soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Guys. The good thing is that it supports CarPlay. The interface also looks excellent. Not sure of the sound quality,I am going to trust Deepu on it,but I am going to call a spade a spade.
I have say that the entire system looks extremely after market. No where close to the fit and finish of say a Mega Audio made for the Elantra. Though you just can't compare a Mega Audio with a Pioneer(this is familiar territory for Hyundai a few years ago. Lol)
The car interior aesthetics are as important to me as sound.The rear controls not working with this is also a big disappointment.
This is strictly just my opinion with no offence meant to Deepu's choice of Pioneer.
Maybe he is a music buff and I am not.
Hi Arjun Appreciate your point that it looks aftermarket which it does and rightly put i am a music buff as i tend to spend about 4 to 5 hrs in my car each day and quality audio is what get me through this time each day. The quality of sound though can be witnessed in person only is simply outstanding . It further gives me options to connect my Iphone and stream music over from the various music apps. The Unit also supports multiple formats including the latest FLAC which is completely loss less. There is no point of spending a fortune unless u do not have an ear for quality sound and are happy with the OE unit. Aesthetic appeal is really a personal preference and i do prefer this unit to the Oe as it can be customised with various wallpapers and themes instead of the harsh blue factory fit.
As far as rear Controls are concerned i hardly used them over the years as i do all the driving myself however the Pioneer comes with a remote too which is far more functional than the rear audio controls and if one really wants to use controls from the rear the remote is a much better option.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 13th July 2015 at 09:58. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts. Please use the Multi-Quote button to reply to more than one post at a time. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks