Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2012, 22:06   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: My Ford Endeavour 3.0L 4x4 AT. EDIT: Now sold at 43,250 km

Congratulations MAS on another Ford in the family. Don't worry too much of small nicks. My Fortuner picks these up quite frequently in small city traffic but I get them touched FOC from the dealership every month. Wishing you miles of happiness together with the beast.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 08:05   #32
BANNED

Great Car MAS! Congrats! and you seem to have gotten a pretty sweet deal.
Was looking at CarWale and all the Endeavours 4x4 i could find had more than 35K on the odo and still had an expected price of over 16.5 Lacs.
Wish you good luck with your Car.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 01:16   #33
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Ford Endeavour - 4x4 3.0L - 5 Speed Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandv267 View Post
@MAS
Congratulations sir. As many others pointed out the endy is a beauty in white. It is one of those big bad suv's which can take you and your family to any part of the country without breaking a sweat. A true tourer if you ask me.
Enjoy the car and drive safe!!
and BTW. Go in for the full bull bar instad of the nudge bars. They add a lot more character to the beast. And light forces instead of hellas. Hellas would look small on the endy!!
Thanks Anand. Yes, this is a wonderful family car too. The kids love the back seat. Only my parents need to stretch a bit to get into the car; the side step really helps. I'm not sure if i will go the nudge bars, but if i go for the Hella's or Lightforce (as suggested by you), i think i will go in for the nudge bar as they will protect the lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
A great buy indeed ! The giant after the polish looks fantastic, at that price this is one hell of a deal !
I have great respect for the Endy as a true blue SUV , prefer the driving position of an Endy much better than the Fortuner .
Wish you many many miles of happy mile crunching with this true blue SUV - the roll would remind you always thats its an SUV lest you get spoilt by your Fiesta
Thanks Sourav. I was lucky to get such an example, but i should thank my contact, who has abundance of information about all such low mileage well-maintained vehicles. Thanks to him, i always leave out the option of buying a new expensive car!!!

I haven't driven a Fortuner till date. I did sit in the driver's seat and the driving position is definitely better in the Endeavour. I will reserve my comments till i do a thorough test drive of the Fortuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Congratulations MAS! That’s a very well kept Endeavour. And good to know that you have not abandoned the Fiesta
How does the steering feel in comparison with the Fiesta?

I agree, the car should look even better without those fancy stickers.
Thanks vb-san. The Fiesta makes me smile everytime i drive it. After driving the Endeavour, the Fiesta feels much more modern, much more sophisticated and very agile. The grip levels of the Fiesta are phenomenal when compared to even a sedan. The Fiesta's steering is amazing; absolutely light in the city (EPS - with Push-pull mechanism - that actually works wonders), but at the same time is very direct and nicely weighs up on highways. It responds to every mm of turn and give a perfect feedback. There is no unnecessary "over-feedback" while driving on bad roads.

On the other hand, the Endy's steering is harder (thanks to HPS) and is good by SUV standards. It is more reactive type, and if driven on bad roads, the steering will tend to turn. The feedback is good, but no where near that of the Fiesta. May be i have been spoilt by the immaculate steering of the Fiesta.

Took your advice and did some copy paste of the white areas onto the sticker. For a moment, I think you and John are right, but also the vinyls help in breaking the monotony of the side panels.

Guys, need your take on which one looks better.

My Ford Endeavour 3.0L 4x4 AT. EDIT: Now sold at 43,250 km-endeavouroptimized.jpgMy Ford Endeavour 3.0L 4x4 AT. EDIT: Now sold at 43,250 km-endeavouroptimized-ps.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaul1 View Post
Congrats for the Endy.. I agree the kind of driving feel that a Ford provides makes you a Ford fan. Unfortunately for me an SUV would have made life pretty tough for the urban commute & Ford did not have any offering in the D segment that I was looking at hence moved to the German (Jetta) which is a fantastic handler as well.

I gave my earlier Ikon to a friend & sometimes when I drive it the size & direct steering is just amazing..

If you had not mentioned the 3M treatment I would have a hard time believing that it was pre-worshipped. What a DEAL. The best thing to do was to go for the AT which takes a lot of the pain away from the cut & thrust of city driving.

Hope you find time to do the Chennai - Leh - Chennai trip sooner than later..

Happy Motoring.
Thanks Kaul. Jetta is one heck of a car. Congrats on the purchase and i wish you many many thousands of miles on the Jetta.

As i mentioned in the first post of this thread, i needed a SUV with 7 seats + high GC. This one came in at a jaw-dropping price and i grabbed it with more than both my hands.

Ikon is an amazing driver's car, especially the 1.6 L monster engine. I hope i can make the C-L-C trip sooner than later, but the way my work schedule is building up, the sooner is going to be much later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven646 View Post
Many Congratulation's on your purchase.

Unfortunately, the dealer seemed quite useless - as the interiors of the Test Vehicle were quite dirty and the salesperson accompanying us for the TD seemed disinterested and rude.

I subsequently settled on the Fortuner.

One thing i remember clearly from my TD of the Endeavour Automatic was that I could actually 'hear' the upshift and downshift of the Autobox as i accelerated or slowed down.

Is this a normal thing in all Endeavour's or was the dealer's TD vehicle just worn out and not properly maintained?
Thanks driven. Congrats on your purchase of the Fortuner.

The slush box on the Endeavour is primitive and cannot be compared to the sophisticated DSG box of Passat. But, the AT box on the Endy is robust and will withstand a fair amount of abuse (Imagine, the slush box can shift from N to D without pressing the break!!!; It is designed for shifting from D - N - R and back, without the using the brake as this action aids in rocking motion, if the car is stuck while off-roading). This is unlike the sensitive DSG boxes, which have been reported to fail during normal usage.

The gears on my Endeavour upshift smoothly irrespective of slow and hard acceleration. There is no sign of a jerk or jump. On deceleration, unless the Endy is in overdrive (6th gear) and speeds are above 80kmph, the engine rpm goes down to idle and it is impossible to feel the downshift. IMO, the Endy of the Chandigarh dealer was very badly abused or may be the gear oil was old/less. Ford should learn from such mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Congratulations MAS on another Ford in the family. Don't worry too much of small nicks. My Fortuner picks these up quite frequently in small city traffic but I get them touched FOC from the dealership every month. Wishing you miles of happiness together with the beast.
Thanks dkaile. Sorry, i could not join the Fortuner club. Ford A.S.S has improved, but are still a long way behind the quality of Toyota A.S.S.

How is you Fortuner and Superb doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Great Car MAS! Congrats! and you seem to have gotten a pretty sweet deal.
Was looking at CarWale and all the Endeavours 4x4 i could find had more than 35K on the odo and still had an expected price of over 16.5 Lacs.
Wish you good luck with your Car.
Thanks Agambhandari. I was lucky to get a good car at a low price. In Tamilnadu, thanks to the high Sales Tax and VAT, the OTR for a Endeavour is around 24 Lakhs. The previous owner had paid over 22 Lakhs for the car in Dec 2010.

When i checked out this Endeavour, i received calls from a dealer in Chennai who had two Endeavours.
Asking price was
June 2010 - 29 K kms - Rs. 17.5 Lakhs
August 2011 - 9 K kms - Rs. 19.0 Lakhs

This information made the pre-worshiped purchase even sweeter.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2012, 16:47   #34

Glad to hear of your new Endy and the enjoyment you are getting out of it. As a fellow Endy owner, for the last three years, I am delighted at your choice and assure you that you will definitely enjoy the experience.

I did test drive a Fortuner before I decided to buy the Endeavour, but I found the Fortuner experience lacking in many ways......hard to describe....I found it not as comfortable and not as good to drive as the Endeavour, even allowing for the auto gearbox on the Endeavour.

Good driving
argo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2012, 22:22   #35

MAS... The plain version looks a lot better in my opinion.
chilli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2012, 23:37   #36
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by argo View Post
Glad to hear of your new Endy and the enjoyment you are getting out of it. As a fellow Endy owner, for the last three years, I am delighted at your choice and assure you that you will definitely enjoy the experience.

I did test drive a Fortuner before I decided to buy the Endeavour, but I found the Fortuner experience lacking in many ways......hard to describe....I found it not as comfortable and not as good to drive as the Endeavour, even allowing for the auto gearbox on the Endeavour.

Good driving
Thanks Argo and welcome to Team-BHP. Glad to see your first post in my thread.

I was searching the whole net for such comparisons, and i thank God that i made a good decision. I am relieved to hear that Endeavour is in the same league of the Fortuner.

Please put up your ownership review as it would be good information for all of us. What is the mileage that the truck has been returning? How many kms did you clock? Any interesting happenings or modifications?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilli View Post
MAS... The plain version looks a lot better in my opinion.
Thanks chilli. I also liked the plain one, but i am still thinking.

Update: Come Sunday, it will be full 2 weeks i have not driven the Endeavour. The New Fiesta has served me well with my long drives and customer visits during the whole week. I drove 1000 kms on the Fiesta in the past 5 days. Both my cars will be at home next whole week as i am travelling away from Chennai. Can't wait to get my hands on the Endeavour though.
Old 12th September 2012, 23:18   #37
MAS
Senior - BHPian

After a busy week, which took me to Bangladesh on a Business visit, (where i did not get to see even ONE Ford car; 99% of the cars were Toyota) this Sunday, I took time away from work and clicked the two siblings parked next to each other (something i wanted to do ever since the Endy came home).

My daughters loved the snaps and commented "Fiesta kitna chota lagta hai" (Fiesta looks very puny).

From Front. The ORVM are like two different floors.
My Ford Endeavour 3.0L 4x4 AT. EDIT: Now sold at 43,250 km-endy-fiesta-frontoptimized.jpg

My Ford Endeavour 3.0L 4x4 AT. EDIT: Now sold at 43,250 km-endy-fiesta-front-leftoptimized.jpg

With their bonnet open. Cars look more aggressive in this stance.
My Ford Endeavour 3.0L 4x4 AT. EDIT: Now sold at 43,250 km-endy-fiesta-front-bonnet-openoptimized.jpg

My Ford Endeavour 3.0L 4x4 AT. EDIT: Now sold at 43,250 km-endy-fiesta-front-left-bonnet-openoptimized.jpg

Team-BHP sticker adds character to the Beast
My Ford Endeavour 3.0L 4x4 AT. EDIT: Now sold at 43,250 km-endy-fiesta-front-headlightsoptimized.jpg

My Ford Endeavour 3.0L 4x4 AT. EDIT: Now sold at 43,250 km-endy-fiesta-front-headlights-leftoptimized.jpg

I like these two snaps
My Ford Endeavour 3.0L 4x4 AT. EDIT: Now sold at 43,250 km-endy-fiesta-front-tyresoptimized.jpg

My Ford Endeavour 3.0L 4x4 AT. EDIT: Now sold at 43,250 km-endy-fiesta-rear-tyresoptimized.jpg

This snap shows the deep scar on the Endeavour missing (thanks to com-paint)

My Ford Endeavour 3.0L 4x4 AT. EDIT: Now sold at 43,250 km-endy-fiesta-rear-leftoptimized.jpg

Needless to mention, it took half-the-Sunday to clean both the cars. A Sunday well spent...

Last edited by MAS : 12th September 2012 at 23:26.
MAS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2012, 00:46   #38
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Update:

The Endeavour is now a few clicks away from 23000 kms. I had taken the truck for a one day trip to Salem and back (760 km trip). The truck returned a mileage of 10.72 kmpl and helped me to increase the overall fuel efficiency of the car.

As mentioned earlier the OD (Gear 6) engages at exactly 85 kmph (true speed - 90 kmph on the Speedo). This is electronically controlled and preset. I wait for this to happen as the truck gets completely transformed and starts pulling like a locomotive.

Now the irritating part;
- The OD disengages the moment the speed falls below 77-78 kmph (true speed) and/or the brake lever is touched (not even pressed).
- Due to the not-so-good state of most of our highways along with the crazy first time highway drivers, there are many instances where the speed falls below 77 kmph or the brake pedal is tapped.
- I then have to accelerate back to 85 kmph for the OD to engage only to brake in the next few meters/seconds or minutes. To achieve this speed, the 3.0 Litre oil burner has to be driven constantly at high rpm (2200 rpm). This process eats into the mileage out the truck. Precious crude is consumed until the OD engages and the rpm falls to 1700 rpm at 85 kmph. Under constant mild acceleration, the 5th gear engages at 45 kmph (sometimes at lower speeds) and stays put till the 85 kmph mark is reached. This makes the car a bit sluggish and irritating at times.

My question to the gurus:
- Can the preset speed for engaging the OD be varied to a lower speed (say 70 kmph)?
- Will Ford do this?
- or can this be done outside (IgNite? Electra?)
Old 18th November 2012, 15:41   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
My question to the gurus:
- Can the preset speed for engaging the OD be varied to a lower speed (say 70 kmph)?
- Will Ford do this?
- or can this be done outside (IgNite? Electra?)
Ford will NOT change the ECU settings whatsoever.

It is NOT recommended to play around with the ECU by changing its settings since anything that goes wrong will set you back by a fact packet and other unpredictable consequences on the vehicle's components not to talk of overall reliability being impacted.

What you can do is to get in touch with one the aftermarket chip manufacturers like Racedynamics (present on TBHP) and Pete's and ask them if they can make a "tuning box" to achieve this by overriding the ECU. They may be able to do it.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2012, 16:11   #40
BHPian

Hi All,

I am about to pick up a 4X4 AT in the next couple of days. Would somebody on this forum be interested in helping me during the PDI that I intend to do tomorrow? Location is Delhi (either Harpreet Ford at Moti Nagar crossing, Najafgarh road or Riddhi Ford on Mathura Road, depending upon who gives me a better deal). I would be very grateful for any assistance.

Thanks in advance.
Old 29th December 2012, 01:37   #41
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GauravTaneja View Post
Hi All,

I am about to pick up a 4X4 AT in the next couple of days. Would somebody on this forum be interested in helping me during the PDI that I intend to do tomorrow? Location is Delhi (either Harpreet Ford at Moti Nagar crossing, Najafgarh road or Riddhi Ford on Mathura Road, depending upon who gives me a better deal). I would be very grateful for any assistance.

Thanks in advance.
Congrats on your decision to go for the 4 x 4 Endeavour.

You should check out this thread for more details on the pdi http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...heck-list.html

Taking a friend or colleague with sharp eyes will be very helpful during the PDI.

Which colour are you picking?
Old 30th December 2012, 11:33   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Congrats on your decision to go for the 4 x 4 Endeavour.

You should check out this thread for more details on the pdi http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...heck-list.html

Taking a friend or colleague with sharp eyes will be very helpful during the PDI.

Which colour are you picking?
Well, actually I did ended up not booking the Endeavour yesterday; I had been debating and looking at various vehicles for the last few months and had eventually zeroed-in on the Endeavour, for various reasons.

Now I went off yesterday to Riddhi Motor, along with a cheque book, after having negotiated a discount, it being year end, etc. ready to bring home the Endeavour. However, I also had a voice in the back of the head, no make that - a voice somewhere in the upper left side of the chest - saying - 'Outlander'.

I had test driven the Outlander and really liked it, but the fact that it is a petrol vehicle with very low resale value, etc., arguments made by the head, I had taken it off my list.

The problem with the location of Riddhi Ford on Mathura Road, and those of you who are familiar with the location, would agree, is that it is in line with all other show rooms of cars. The Mitsubishi showroom is right next doors. Despite myself, I decided to walk in and take one look at the Outlander, before going and committing to the Endeavour.

All went per plan and I saw the vehicle, weakened my resolve to buy the Endeavour a bit, but not too much; negotiated a discount, leading to further weakening of resolve, however, the resolute man that I am, I walked out still, telling myself this is a momentory weakness - I shall make the correct, practical decision. All was going well.

And then I made the fatal error (fatal for the Endeavour that was ready to be sold) of deciding to take a test ride. Walked back into the Mitsubishi showroom and requested for a test drive. The obliged and took me for a test drive on a 2.5 year old vehicle that had done 45k - it was at the showroom to be sold, and I specifically asked to take a test ride on that. Needless to say my resolve was pretty much in tatters by the end of the test ride.

I still walked into the Ford showroom next doors, determined to not allow my heart to rule over my superior intelligence. The Riddhi Ford guys are excellent sales people, very helpful and friendly - took a test ride and that is when my resolve finally broke. There was no comparison in the ride quality, etc. between the two vehicles. Even though the Outlander was at least 2 years older and had abouth 35K extra on the odometer, it was head and shoulders above the Endeavour (on the parameters that matter to me).

The long and short of it is, I walked back to the Mitsubishi showroom and put my money where my heart was. I booked an Outlander - against the advice of my 'practical' friends, etc.

Call me a fool, but I think I would rather enjoy every day of the next few years that I own this vehicle, than be happy about the slightly higher fuel costs or the slightly higher resale I would get....but that's me.
GauravTaneja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th December 2012, 13:01   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GauravTaneja View Post
Well, actually I did ended up not booking the Endeavour yesterday; I had been debating and looking at various vehicles for the last few months and had eventually zeroed-in on the Endeavour, for various reasons...
That is quite interesting bit of fluctuation I TD'd Outlander when I was shopping for a SUV and it completely floored me. The drive characteristics, the CVT gearbox with paddle shifters, the audio and the looks were not easy to overlook and these overwhelmed the decision process. However, the increasing petrol price killed my obsession to get one, and landed up with a Yeti. And talking about yeti, I think you should at least have a test drive before zeroing on the Outlander. You never know what impressions you get from it. Trust me!
Old 30th December 2012, 19:58   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post

That is quite interesting bit of fluctuation I TD'd Outlander when I was shopping for a SUV and it completely floored me. The drive characteristics, the CVT gearbox with paddle shifters, the audio and the looks were not easy to overlook and these overwhelmed the decision process. However, the increasing petrol price killed my obsession to get one, and landed up with a Yeti. And talking about yeti, I think you should at least have a test drive before zeroing on the Outlander. You never know what impressions you get from it. Trust me!
Yes I did test drive the Yeti and found the drive quality excellent; unfortunately it's a bit smaller than the Outlander, besides you can not really compare the interiors of the two. But i do believe its a lovely car, and a practical one at that. Very wise choice my friend :-)
Old 7th April 2013, 23:45   #45
MAS
Senior - BHPian

First Accident with the Endeavour

This happened exactly 4 weeks back and i could not update this thread due to my travel schedule. My Endeavour had clocked a few hundreds over 24K kms.

I'm not sure how it is with you guys, but if i don't drive the car for say 10 days or more, it takes me a few kms of driving to get 100% feel of the car. Is it normal or am i getting complacent?

I was back from a 2 week trip to Ethiopia. It was a Sunday and after going through the Sunday routine of shinning my Endeavour, i decided to drive to Oragadam (50 kms from my home and again a routine fortnightly trip). I had hardly driven about 700 meters from my home and BANG... I somehow managed to park my Endeavour's bonnet into the rear of an i10. I was upset with my carelessness and got down to check the damage.

First, the i10: The boot of the i10 looked like the one from the Ritz, only more deformed.
Next, the Endeavour: I was now worried to look at my Endeavour and to my surprise, there was absolutely no damage except that the lower part of the number plate had bent inwards (in line with the air scoop in the bonnet). Apart from this there was not even a scratch (touch wood). I pulled back the bent number plate with my bare fingers and the car was back to normal.

I did not want to take pictures of the accident as i did not want to irk the already visibly shaken and surprised (he was actually even more surprised after seeing no damage to my car) i10 driver.

I offered the i10 driver to repair his car at my cost (as it was 100% my mistake). It cost me around 4K to repair his car at KUN Neelankarai. The manager of KUN there is my childhood friend and so i got a 20% discount.

What did i learn from this incident?
- My concentration levels are much higher, especially when i drive the cars after a break.
- My respect on the Endeavour and especially due to its tough built quality has increased many folds and i feel much safer driving the beast (also.... kinda makes me feel like the "king of the road" )

Drive safe guys!!!

Last edited by MAS : 7th April 2013 at 23:49.
MAS is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks