Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2013, 15:14   #46
MAS
Senior - BHPian

re: My Ford Endeavour 3.0L 4x4 AT. EDIT: Now sold at 43,250 km

Update: 25K kms

My Endeavour has now completed 25K kms. I have been driving the beast on weekends only and unfortunately, i was travelling on many weekends.

To celebrate the completion of 25K kms (just needed a reason to buy these), i ordered the following on ebay:

1. Side Fender 2 View Mirror

My Ford Endeavour 3.0L 4x4 AT. EDIT: Now sold at 43,250 km-fender-mirror.jpg

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Side-Wing-Fen...#ht_1632wt_906

2. Door Visors

My Ford Endeavour 3.0L 4x4 AT. EDIT: Now sold at 43,250 km-door-visor.jpg

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Ford-Endeavou...#ht_1518wt_906

I hope i would get these by the end of this week and would have them fixed next week.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 20:54   #47
MAS
Senior - BHPian

The first problem

Last Sunday, as i tried to move my Endeavour from the Garage, it got stuck in "R" with the gear stick moving freely. The car was not going anywhere except "Reverse". I called up MPL Ford, Mr. Sampath & others for help. They suspected that the gear cable would have been cut. As it was a Sunday, I had no other choice but to leave the car in the garage and look at driving the Fiesta.

I then called up the L3 level Supervisor, Mr. Kumar for help. He asked me to open the beige casing surrounding the gear lever and change the gears by pulling the "wire". When i opened the beige casing, i found that there a plastic ring at the end of the gear cable had dismounted from the gear lever. I slipped it back and everything was fine. I then secured I thank Kumar for his help and used a plastic wire to secure.

Today, i got the part changed under Warranty and the car is working fine.

Did any other fellow Endeavour owners face this problem?
MAS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 22:17   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
When i opened the beige casing, i found that there a plastic ring at the end of the gear cable had dismounted from the gear lever. I slipped it back and everything was fine. I then secured I thank Kumar for his help and used a plastic wire to secure.

Today, i got the part changed under Warranty and the car is working fine.[
Though I don't own a Endy but just a concern. What if this happens on the move?

Have you spoken about the reliability of this part to Ford A.S.S?

Anurag.
Old 9th October 2013, 00:31   #49
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Though I don't own a Endy but just a concern. What if this happens on the move?

Have you spoken about the reliability of this part to Ford A.S.S?

Anurag.
This was a cause of huge concern to me considering the truck has run only 26000 kms and is still under warranty. Ford is Crazy to put a plastic ring in such a critical part.

But nothing will happen if this gets cut while the truck is runnning. We would be stuck in the same gear and God forbid if by mistake the car is switched off the car, will never be able to start it unless we bring it back to P or N.

I did ask Ford A.S.S regarding the frequency of failure of this particular part. According to a very Senior Service Manager, Mr. Prasad, he has in his past decade working for Ford, changed this particular part in 3 other vehicles. Hence the failure frequency is quite low.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 00:36   #50
BANNED

Quote:
But nothing will happen if this gets cut while the truck is runnning. We would be stuck in the same gear and God forbid if by mistake the car is switched off the car, will never be able to start it unless we bring it back to P or N.
Exactly my point. Is there no other way to operate the gear lever other than ripping those plastic shrouds and checking 'that' plastic ring?

One more doubt: If possible why don't you get a steel one made out with the same dimensions that would sit strong and which could be locked so that it doesn't come out again?!

Quote:
he has in his past decade working for Ford, changed this particular part in 3 other vehicles. Hence the failure frequency is quite low.
Fingers crossed!

Will catch up with you as I frequently travel to Chennai. Will check your 'Truck' too.

Drive Safe,
Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 22:36   #51
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
One more doubt: If possible why don't you get a steel one made out with the same dimensions that would sit strong and which could be locked so that it doesn't come out again?!

Will catch up with you as I frequently travel to Chennai. Will check your 'Truck' too.
Hi Anurag,

The gear cable is one single solid piece with two "plastic" (i guess ABS) rings. It is not possible to remove the plastic ring and replace it with a steel one (though i wish i could).

I look forward to meeting you in Chennai.
Old 16th October 2013, 09:04   #52
BANNED

Quote:
The gear cable is one single solid piece with two "plastic" (i guess ABS) rings. It is not possible to remove the plastic ring and replace it with a steel one (though i wish i could).
The must be some way to get these rings on the cable in the first place right?!

If we can get some Indian jugaad it could be possible and may be reliable and peace of mind.

Anurag.
Old 18th December 2013, 11:13   #53
MAS
Senior - BHPian

The following were added to the Endeavour

- Rear Parking sensors - On Sunday
These were necessary for me as i found it quite challenging to reverse the Endeavour, especially when i am used to reversing the New Fiesta with the rear-parking sensors. The Rear View camera in the Endeavour is good, but with the added rear parking sensors, it makes life easier while reversing the huge SUV.

- K & N Air Filter - Yesterday
I have been looking to replace the stock air filter for quite sometime now.
Why? - On a Sunday, a couple of months back, while cleaning the engine bay i opened the air-filter casing and forgot to lock the three clips that hold the casing together. I drove the truck a couple of kms and was amazed at the superb pick up and quick gear changes. It was then i realized that i had forgotten to put the clips back. When i put the clips back, i missed the amazing pick up and quick gear changes.

I bought the K&N Stock replacement Air Filter from Electra last month, but as i was travelling, i did could not install them. Yesterday afternoon, i called Electra to check if i can bring the Endeavour for the installation, and i was surprised at their response. They said they are too busy to fit the air-filter and asked me to come today. I was like .

I called up Raghav (IgNite) and took the Endeavour there. The air-filter was replaced in three minutes flat.

Straightaway, the drive-ability of truck has improved and the gear shifts are quicker. The engine sounds smoother and less strained. I don't expect any improvement in mileage, but since the engine seems less strained and gears are upshifting faster, i think there could be some improvement.

Last edited by MAS : 18th December 2013 at 11:15.
MAS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 00:23   #54
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Lately I have been experiencing two problems with my Endeavour.

1. A sharp whistling noise when I hit speeds above 60 kmph. Earlier this whistling noise was very rare, but now I get to hear this 8 out of 10 times. I did show it to the ASC, but they thought it is a loose belt in the engine and tightened it up, but the sound remains. I will have to take the car to the service centre once again to silence the whistle. I feel the sound comes from the rear of the car, either the brakes or the drive shaft seems to be the culprit.

2. This is a strange observation. This happens only when the car is in 4 X 4, 4H mode. When the car is stationary (in 4H mode) and the steering is turned completely to its right and accelerated slowly, the car refuses to move forward. Instead it struggles as if the brakes are applied and the accelerator has been pressed. The car lunges forward when accelerated and stops immediately when the accelerator is released. This accompanied by the rear right wheel slipping and trying to spin faster, leaving a black rubber mark on the concrete (which looks as if the tyre has stopped and is being dragged along; more like a skid mark). This same phenomenom occurs when the car is turned to its left. The car does not move forward easily; the left rear tyre leaves the skid mark on the concrete. I demonstrated this to the ASC leaving them perplexed. They did not know why this was happening. As there were no other 4 X 4 Endeavours in the service centre on the day, we took the 4X4 standing in the showroom for a spin. We were amazed to see that the new car had the same issue, but since the tyres were new, they did not leave the skid mark.

This does not happen in either 2H or 4L.

Fellow Endeavour owners and friends, please let me know your thoughts on why thar strange things are occurring.
Old 17th January 2014, 00:36   #55
BHPian

@MAS, the whistling noise is the engine belt, as per my ASC. They replaced mine in the last service, and it's OK now.

The second problem - no idea! Will check it out if I get a chance on my baby and let you know...
siddheshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 11:33   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. This is a strange observation. ...on the concrete .....
I wouldnt use 4WD while on concrete...hope you are aware of transmission windup in 4WD vehicles.

4WD engaged + steering at lock + acceleration + concrete surface = asking for trouble.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 17th January 2014 at 11:34.
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2014, 00:29   #57
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I wouldnt use 4WD while on concrete...hope you are aware of transmission windup in 4WD vehicles.

4WD engaged + steering at lock + acceleration + concrete surface = asking for trouble.
I don't use 4 x 4 on concrete roads/flat surfaces. The 2H is by itself very powerful and suits everyday circus to the teeth. But i am forced to use 4H at times. For example, when I have a steep sideway incline followed by concrete smooth surface, that too with a curve. Even when I turn the selector to 2H, the 4H gets disconnected only when the steering is brought to the centre position. Hence, the 4H remains selected till I complete the turn.

Amazingly, this whole episode does not happen when I use 4L.

If what you say about 4 X 4 and concrete roads is true, then how does a Toyota Fortuner with All-Time 4WD survive being driven on concrete roads everyday. I was also told (or did i read it in the user manual) that 4H can be used everywhere, but with a maximum speed limit of 100 kmph.
Old 18th January 2014, 00:45   #58
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
@MAS, the whistling noise is the engine belt, as per my ASC. They replaced mine in the last service, and it's OK now.

The second problem - no idea! Will check it out if I get a chance on my baby and let you know...
Thank you for your quick reply.

In fact, I remember now that this whistling noise started only after the belts were changed under warranty.

I will get them to change it again.

I would be grateful if you could let me know your observations of the lock-up in Samara.
Old 20th January 2014, 12:15   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is a strange observation. This happens only when the car is in 4 X 4, 4H mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post

Quote:
I don't use 4 x 4 on concrete roads/flat surfaces. The 2H is by itself very powerful and suits everyday circus to the teeth. But i am forced to use 4H at times.
If what you say about 4 X 4 and concrete roads is true, then how does a Toyota Fortuner with All-Time 4WD survive being driven on concrete roads everyday. I was also told (or did i read it in the user manual) that 4H can be used everywhere, but with a maximum speed limit of 100 kmph.
MAS - This can help clear the confusion, about what BT meant - http://www.outbackcrossing.com.au/Fo..._Wind-Up.shtml

Quoting some points from the article.

Quote:
Part Time 4WD
A part time 4WD operates in exactly the same manner until 4WD is selected and the front locking hubs have been actuated. At this point the vehicle becomes a four wheel drive with equal power being delivered to the front and rear differentials and finally to the wheels. Part time four wheel drives do not usually have centre differentials.

Constant 4WD
Constant four wheel drives have a centre differential that supplies power to both front and rear wheels at the same time. This centre diff allows the front and rear wheels some 'slippage' so the vehicle can make turns. If a Constant 4WD has the facility to 'lock' the centre differential then power is delivered equally to the front and rear diffs - much like a part-time four wheel drive.
Transmission wind-up occurs when true four wheel drive has been selected and the vehicle is driven on a non-slip surface.
Dirt, gravel, snow and most loose off-road surfaces allow the tyres to break traction to compensate for the constantly powered drive-line.
Concrete, bitumen and other unforgiving surfaces don't easily allow this wheel spin. Turning a car in 4WD on hard surfaces creates torsional stress back through the drive-line. Transmission wind-up begins to manifest itself as tyres begin to 'skip' over the surface. Steering becomes heavy and the vehicle begins to shudder. The transfer case eventually becomes 'locked' in four wheel drive and cannot be de-selected. The vehicle may also refuse to advance any further. Keep driving and something has to give. Tyres begin to tear up and the weakest link must break. Transmission components, diffs and axles are all extremely expensive to replace
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 13:06   #60
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
MAS - This can help clear the confusion, about what BT meant - http://www.outbackcrossing.com.au/Fo..._Wind-Up.shtml

Quoting some points from the article.
Thanks Dry Ice. The article is very useful and informative. All my queries regarding the "strange" behavior have been addressed. Hell, these ASC guys were as ignorant as me on this information.

I hope i have not damaged my transmission too much.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks