Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2013, 18:01   #46
BHPian

re: A new family member: Range Rover Evoque! EDIT: Battery Issues

So, I left my home, went to a temple. Prayed to god for 2 minutes. And I start my car, but it simply refuses to start. Tried a lot of times, it simply resisted my attempts. QUite an embarrassing situation I must say.

Anyways, called up the toll free number, and informed them my problem. They said they will have to send the tow van from Pune ( first she said mumbai, lol!) since I was in Satara. So i had to wait nearly 4 hours at the spot ( If god wanted me to be with him for a while, he could have simply told it to me >.< ). The tow van ( flatbed truck rather)had sent a qualified (?) technician, who then attempted to start the car. He then had to use the external battery from the van to start the car, and Voila, it started!

He then drove the car onto the platform and took it to the service centre.

Now the funny part.

I called up the service centre and asked why the problem occurred within 6 months and that to a range rover. He replied, " Sir, the car is starting normally, I do not understand why it was sent to the service centre". I fainted for a while. I explained the issue to him. He asked me, " Sir, maybe you didn't start the car properly" xD. I said, stop fooling around and tell me the reason for this. He said that lights in the car or maybe the audio system must have remained ON for a while ( 2 mins!) and hence this problem occurred.

How can the light or even the music system remain ON when I have completely turned off the vehicle and even locked it. Even if say the lights remained ON, the battery will discharge in 2 minutes? He even tried to convince me that the electricals in Evoque are high tech and even if you keep music system or blowers ON for 5 minutes, it will completely discharge the battery. And mind you, this is coming from the Manager in charge of JLR Pune workshop.

I have asked them to replace the battery and deliver the car on flat bed to my home, as it is not my fault that the car has ceased to run. I will be waiting until tomorrow, else I will be going up the authorities.
Old 12th August 2013, 19:23   #47

re: A new family member: Range Rover Evoque! EDIT: Battery Issues

Hey, read your buying experience today as i joined recently. Nice write-up. Congratulations on the mean machine. I just adore its looks.

Coming to your current problem, well this is the sadest part when it comes to the automobile sector in india - SERVICE! or the lack of it!

If you dont get any response till tomorrow, I would suggest you to come to Pune and meet the officials personally. No need to argue, just be firm. Lets hope the car is up and running soon.

We can organise a drive to lavasa or lonavala for all the pune members sometime in the coming weekends. Do keep us posted about the service provided by the JRL Pune team.

Cheers.
Old 13th August 2013, 15:43   #48
BHPian

Re: A new family member: Range Rover Evoque! EDIT: Battery Issues

@Aniket, thanks

So, here's the update. The manager told me, its the battery issue. He has ordered the battery, which will come from UK ( quite weird) and it will come via the sea route ( again ***!). So i argued with him that why can't they keep batteries in stock? And should I keep the car in garage for atleast 20 days? This is ridiculous. I am so willing to go the social media route to teach International players that India is not a dumping ground anymore. He said he will call me in the next hour and tell me what best he can do. So I will wait. Only till today!
Old 14th August 2013, 09:44   #49
Senior - BHPian

Man that sucks! Ask them for a replacement vehicle till such time your battery arrives, its the least they can do. I'm sure they have Demo vehicles available, even if they happen to be other models!

Also, have they checked across all India dealerships and there are no spare batteries in stock anywhere?
Old 14th August 2013, 10:05   #50
Team-BHP Support

Battery is a frequent consumable item and should be in the ASC of any manufacturer.

I find it ridiculous to order the battery from UK and that too via a ship.

And are they ordering just one? Did the battery stock exhaust in India and were they waiting for someone to ask so they could order?

IIRC, BHP-ian Ricky has a RR as well. Maybe he can update the situation in Delhi.

EDIT : How is the rear wash-wipe function activated? Where is the wiper?

Last edited by Sheel : 14th August 2013 at 10:08.
Old 14th August 2013, 12:40   #51
Team-BHP Support

I suffered something similar on my X 6 but after about 3 years of ownership - BMW guys did a scan and termed as - " unfavorable driving profile " Thankfully my battery has still around 85 % left over and was good after a charge . Are you driving too little ? mostly in city ?
Old 15th August 2013, 19:59   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kau_therock View Post
@Aniket, thanks

So, here's the update. The manager told me, its the battery issue. He has ordered the battery, which will come from UK ( quite weird) and it will come via the sea route ( again ***!). So i argued with him that why can't they keep batteries in stock? And should I keep the car in garage for atleast 20 days? This is ridiculous. I am so willing to go the social media route to teach International players that India is not a dumping ground anymore. He said he will call me in the next hour and tell me what best he can do. So I will wait. Only till today!
Can't they buy a battery locally ?. Batteries are made for a range of vehicles and surely there would not be one exclusively for the RR Evoque.
Old 15th August 2013, 20:37   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Man that sucks! Ask them for a replacement vehicle till such time your battery arrives, its the least they can do. I'm sure they have Demo vehicles available, even if they happen to be other models!

Also, have they checked across all India dealerships and there are no spare batteries in stock anywhere?
You have another option:
Ask them to put the battery of a Demo car in yours until the replacement battery arrives from UK.

You never know what our beloved workshops will do with our cars while it stays in their yard for more than a day. Anything bad can (and usually does) happen.

Good luck!
SedatedDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 12:21   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post

Funnily (or weirdly should I say) enough, not a single battery present anywhere in India. Quite shocking for a high profile company, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Battery is a frequent consumable item and should be in the ASC of any manufacturer.

I find it ridiculous to order the battery from UK and that too via a ship.

And are they ordering just one? Did the battery stock exhaust in India and were they waiting for someone to ask so they could order?

IIRC, BHP-ian Ricky has a RR as well. Maybe he can update the situation in Delhi.

EDIT : How is the rear wash-wipe function activated? Where is the wiper?
The wiper sits behind the spoiler and is hardly visible. Even I was shocked at the first time I drove it, Evoque doesn't have a rear wipe? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I suffered something similar on my X 6 but after about 3 years of ownership - BMW guys did a scan and termed as - " unfavorable driving profile " Thankfully my battery has still around 85 % left over and was good after a charge . Are you driving too little ? mostly in city ?
Can you elaborate "unfavorable driving profile" ?

I drive in the city, though everyday. And I feel, the starter battery and the overall battery have to be different. And I reckon all the other cars have separate batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivriti View Post
Can't they buy a battery locally ?. Batteries are made for a range of vehicles and surely there would not be one exclusively for the RR Evoque.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive View Post
You have another option:
Ask them to put the battery of a Demo car in yours until the replacement battery arrives from UK.

You never know what our beloved workshops will do with our cars while it stays in their yard for more than a day. Anything bad can (and usually does) happen.

Good luck!
I just pray that whatever you just said doesn't happen. I love my cars and I will be really hurt if anything happens.
Old 21st August 2013, 12:29   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
unfavorable driving profile"
Normally if you are not driving on highway or trips are short - very common with BMW , just goggle it . Maybe in your case as well but 6 months is too less
Old 21st August 2013, 13:09   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kau_therock View Post
So i argued with him that why can't they keep batteries in stock? And should I keep the car in garage for atleast 20 days? This is ridiculous. I am so willing to go the social media route to teach International players that India is not a dumping ground anymore. He said he will call me in the next hour and tell me what best he can do. So I will wait. Only till today!

Why don't you get the battery charged from them and keep the car in your possession. Will save a lot of headache to you if the car is not stored properly in the workshop. Get it from them in writing and send it back once the battery arrives!
Old 21st August 2013, 14:50   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Why don't you get the battery charged from them and keep the car in your possession. Will save a lot of headache to you if the car is not stored properly in the workshop. Get it from them in writing and send it back once the battery arrives!
The battery issue seems serious and re-charging it doesn't seem viable. Battery arrives on 24th ( as per them). So just keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 21st August 2013, 14:53   #58
BHPian

Emailed to the GM workshop of ace-perkins.

Quote:
Dear Mr. Marathe,

First of all, I am quite disappointed by the response given and my case handled by Mr. Harshal.

Anyways, I would expect some cooperation from you, the details for which are as below.

1. It has been only 8 months since I bought my vehicle. Battery failure within such short span and that too from a Rover is not justified at all. And the reason given by Mr. Harshal, which I quote “ the Evoque is plagued by electronic failures and even if you keep the lights or music system ON for 2 minutes, it will drain the battery completely”. I am told that Mr. Harshal is the manager of the workshop, and such reason, well, least expected from a person at this position. Just for the record, I have been driving vehicles for almost 10 years now and have owned Mercedes, BMW, Volvo and numerous other cars. If this was the real reason, I need to get in touch with JLR then, as they need to change the systems in an almost 10 million INR vehicle.
2. The doors have been rattling since the car has been bought to Satara, before even giving the delivery to us. Again, it was my decision to go for the Rover over an Audi or a BMW. Sometimes I feel it is better to think with the head and not the heart, as in this case. I request you to kindly look into this issue.
3. The screen sometimes goes blank. I had notified this the last time when I had given my car for service, but apparently nothing has been done on it. So, hoping that this issue will be resolved too!

I have taken the free polishing pack for my Evoque and I reckon I get 3 free polishes, one of which I have already used. So kindly polish the car as it is just sitting idle in your garage.

I hope that my queries will be sorted out and it might help to regain my trust in Land rover.

Would request your personal intervention in my case.

Thanking you.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Warmest regards,
Old 21st August 2013, 18:54   #59
BHPian

And I receive a reply..

Quote:
Dear Mr. Phadtare ,
Greetings from Ace Perkins!!!!!
This is regarding your EVOQUE delivery schedule .we are very sorry to inform you that the battery is in back order so that we will not able to deliver the vehicle on the committed date 24.08.13.
As I mentioned in earlier mail that your vehicle is ready with service battery and you can use the vehicle till the time battery arrives at our end. Thank you for the co operation extended. Once again sorry for the inconvenience cause to you .we are trying to get the battery at the earliest for your vehicle.

Thanks & Regards,

Sales Helpline : 020 6642 6642 | Service Helpline : 020 6731 2345

Shekhar Marathe
Assistant General Manager
ACE PERKINS
I really have no words to express. Not a single NEW battery in stock absolutely anywhere in India? Wow. JLR, you have just created a HATER!
Old 21st August 2013, 19:03   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

You know what they say...buy a one crore car, get extra batteries!

Seriously though, this is pathetic. Why don't you try reaching out to someone senior at Tata JLR? Maybe that will work.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks