Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2013, 10:45   #301
Team-BHP Support

re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

A sneak peek at the effect after smoke tints were applied onto the headlamps and taillamps. Red Rocket is now converted into Red Viper. It looks absolutely Evil, like a predator! Detailed DIY process is being penned down in Assembly line, and will go live soon as a separate thread.

Taillamp tints
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-wp_20130417_001.jpg

A closer look
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-wp_20130417_003.jpg

Headlamp smoke tints make the car look absolutely Evil!
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-wp_20130417_004.jpg

A closer look at the tinted headlamps. Since the tints are affecting visibility, they will be thrown out on Saturday after a photoshoot.
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-wp_20130417_005.jpg

The headlamp tints are too dark, look tacky/hideously cheap at closer look (something I didn't get to know until the product was opened at home), and are cutting down at least 30% of the headlight beam. Needless to say, I will be stripping them off this weekend, but not before a photoshoot of the 'Evil reptile' look . Very disappointing result after the effort put in, but I value safety and practicality more. Upgrading to brighter bulbs to counter the loss in light is downright stupid, and I will refrain from doing that. What I will do for the headlamps is order something like this when I have the moolah :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiat-Grande-...b8116e&vxp=mtr
Until then, the headlamps will remain stock. No more cheap experiments for me anymore!

Applying the smoke tints was a nice experimentation job though, and I learnt quite a few things out of the experiment, main lesson being -Do not order cheap stuff, they are not worth the trouble, and they make the car look cheap and gross!

The taillamp tints are okay, do not hamper the taillamp visibility in any manner (tested even in bright sunlight), and will stay on for a few weeks before I strip those off too.

Last edited by KarthikK : 17th April 2013 at 11:09.
KarthikK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 11:40   #302
Team-BHP Support

re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
The headlamp tints are too dark, look tacky/hideously cheap at closer look (something I didn't get to know until the product was opened at home), and are cutting down at least 30% of the headlight beam. Needless to say, I will be stripping them off this weekend, but not before a photoshoot of the 'Evil reptile' look . Very disappointing result after the effort put in, but I value safety and practicality more.
Good decision.. What!!! was my reaction when I first saw the pics
All the mods now are pretty elegant and you have managed to keep it civil and elegant. But the headlights are a bit too loud; here we call it the Ah Beng look
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 12:02   #303
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Good decision.. What!!! was my reaction when I first saw the pics
All the mods now are pretty elegant and you have managed to keep it civil and elegant. But the headlights are a bit too loud; here we call it the Ah Beng look
It was done more on an experimental basis anyway, hehe. I expected the headlight tint to give a light greyish tinge and make it look better, but they were too dark, and made the front look like a blind toad / blink snake . 'Hideous' is an understatement. I am keeping them on till Saturday. I'll do a small photoshoot of the reptile look for funny memories , and then strip them off ASAP.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 12:04   #304
BHPian

Looks super hot bud, you have done the visuals very neatly. Love it.

Now just drive it - as much as you can get to 15K and get an abarth tune up/RD box either and your steed is complete then.

Just drive it!!
scofield is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 12:14   #305
Team-BHP Support

Well since the tints affect the light output so much, maybe you should remove them from the tail lights too. I mean the last thing you want is someone rear ending you because they didn't notice your lights quick enough.

Also another suggestion is to paint the rear parking sensors, they stick out like a sore thumb now.

Also maybe debadge the rear?

Looks great otherwise.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 17th April 2013 at 12:26.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2013, 13:13   #306
BHPian

Oops! That was a tragic ending. Frankly, I was thinking of ordering a pair of those after seeing your work but now after seeing how it ended, ummm, i'm . Aren't any quality vinyls available? I mean a little lighter for the front HLs? Also, can the window glass films be applied on HLs?
Eminenttismo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2013, 17:41   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminenttismo View Post
Aren't any quality vinyls available? I mean a little lighter for the front HLs?
There's a company called Lamin-X (http://www.lamin-x.com) that specializes in automotive tint's.

They're slightly on the expensive side, but the quality is flawless.

I too recently got the fog lamps tinted
Attached Thumbnails
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-img_20130322_174437.jpg  

speed kills is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2013, 19:16   #308
BHPian

^^ Thanks a lot, I was looking for something like those. You got them shipped?!
Old 21st April 2013, 08:40   #309
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminenttismo View Post
Also, can the window glass films be applied on HLs?
Since sunfilms are designed for inside surfaces of windows and not outer surfaces like headlights/taillights, there is no guarantee on how long the adhesive will stay, thanks to constant exposure to sunlight, wind, dust, water, etc. Incidentally, this was one of my FAQ questions in that DIY thread I am taking live shortly
Old 21st April 2013, 10:14   #310
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A closer look at the tinted headlamps. Since the tints are affecting visibility, they will be thrown out on Saturday after a photoshoot.
Attachment 1074646

The headlamp tints are too dark, look tacky/hideously cheap at closer look (something I didn't get to know until the product was opened at home), and are cutting down at least 30% of the headlight beam. Needless to say, I will be stripping them off this weekend, but not before a photoshoot of the 'Evil reptile' look
Thank god the tints on the lights are going. The car looks way OTT (over the top) with those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

Also another suggestion is to paint the rear parking sensors, they stick out like a sore thumb now.

Also maybe debadge the rear?

Looks great otherwise.
These 2 are a must. Painting the parking sensors and debadging the rear. The rear looks too busy otherwise.

I am still of the opinion that the smiling front should go. The sticker portion between the fog lamps and grill that gives the smiling look sort of detracts the evil look.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 10:24   #311
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Thank god the tints on the lights are going. The car looks way OTT (over the top) with those.
Hilarious experiments though! Had a fun time watching how it looked with these tacky films on. They are stripped now, for good.

Quote:
These 2 are a must. Painting the parking sensors and debadging the rear. The rear looks too busy otherwise.
Totally agree there. I am in the process of sourcing the Scorpion badge set with the EsseEsse emblem. As soon as the shipment arrives, I am knocking off the "sport" and 90HP decals. I'll just retain the Punto logo and swap the Fiat badge for the scorpion.

The new rear will have only the Punto decal and the EsseEsse emblem. Everything else will go.

Parking sensors should be removed and spray painted with OE paint this coming Saturday at Vecto. I am just waiting for Vecto to get their brand new body shop up and running.

Quote:
I am still of the opinion that the smiling front should go. The sticker portion between the fog lamps and grill that gives the smiling look sort of detracts the evil look.
That'll be my next experiment thanks to your suggestion a month back . I was just keeping on this smiling look for a few days, for some "paisa vasool" after getting the job done.

Last edited by KarthikK : 21st April 2013 at 10:33.
Old 21st April 2013, 15:01   #312
Senior - BHPian

was my reaction when I saw the first pic on your tinted post.
was my reaction when I saw the third pic.

The front reminds me of one of the alien (called Salarian) which appears in the Mass Effect series. Its good to hear that you have removed those tints on the headlamps. Please post the pic after removal of those hideous tints. I'm unable to digest the pics.

One more suggestion for enhancing your beauty's front look is to remove those company/tech park stickers on the windshield, but it may be mandatory for you to enter your company premises.

Are you using any stuff to keep the tyres in the jet-black condition? My tyres have lost that black luster and have turned into some grayish color, thanks to the dusty Bangalore roads which were once very clean.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 21st April 2013 at 15:09.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 15:22   #313
Team-BHP Support

Have any of that tint left? Could try putting the tint on the rear reverse lamps + fog lamps.

IMO- that's one of the worst design aspects in Punto, where one side looks broken.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 18:24   #314
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
was my reaction when I saw the first pic on your tinted post.
was my reaction when I saw the third pic.

The front reminds me of one of the alien (called Salarian) which appears in the Mass Effect series.
I just did a google image search and couldn't stop laughing when I saw what you said. The Punto with black eyes looks just like that Salarian's face . ROFL!

Quote:
Its good to hear that you have removed those tints on the headlamps. Please post the pic after removal of those hideous tints. I'm unable to digest the pics.
Back to normal look now. Sample picture :
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0702.jpg

Rear looks like this
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0745.jpg

Quote:
One more suggestion for enhancing your beauty's front look is to remove those company/tech park stickers on the windshield, but it may be mandatory for you to enter your company premises.
Thanks for noticing those Vinay. I had forgotten about them all along, since I hardly ever get a chance to look from the left seat of the car. They are not company stickers at all (ITPL has no such requirement fortunately). These are some PDI and QC check stickers which were probably put on by the Fiat factory and later by the dealer before delivery. I'll strip them off next time I get the car washed.

Quote:
Are you using any stuff to keep the tyres in the jet-black condition? My tyres have lost that black luster and have turned into some grayish color, thanks to the dusty Bangalore roads which were once very clean.
Yeah, I use Meguiar's 'Hot Shine' product to keep the tyres shining glossy black. Pictures below :

The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0765.jpg

The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0766.jpg

It is a foam spray can. All we need to do is spray it onto a cloth and apply it on the sidewalls after the car is washed. That keeps it going for the next 2 weeks (even with my 70km per day commute). I apply this once in a fortnight as advised by Sidhu at 3M. One spray can lasts me approximately for 3 months since I use it for the Linea's Michelins also.

The only other products I use are :

Meguiar's Natural shine protectant for plastic parts which can look faded (similar to tyre fade effect) - like mudflaps, mirror assembly mountings, plastic panels near the windshield, etc
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0768.jpg

TechWax 2.0, this helps give a superb amount of gloss on the body paint and stays that way even after rains. Interestingly, I have observed that with TechWax 2.0 applied, there are very few water marks found on the car after the rainwater dries up. So this means fewer washes
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0775.jpg

The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0777.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Have any of that tint left? Could try putting the tint on the rear reverse lamps + fog lamps.

IMO- that's one of the worst design aspects in Punto, where one side looks broken.
Good idea, but I seem to have discarded the remaining taillamp tints. Moreover whatever is done should be done on the other side too (rear fog lamp), which may not be advisable from a visibility point of view. I looked at the actual Abarth layout for the tail - it had the reverse lamp in the centre of the bumper, not to one side like Indian Puntos.

Last edited by KarthikK : 21st April 2013 at 18:35.
KarthikK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 18:38   #315
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Good idea, but I seem to have discarded the remaining taillamp tints. Moreover whatever is done should be done on the other side too (rear fog lamp), which may not be advisable from a visibility point of view. I looked at the actual Abarth layout for the tail - it had the reverse lamp in the centre of the bumper, not to one side like Indian Puntos.
Visibility? Have you used the fog lamps, rear ones much? I've only used the front fog lamps. I'm more worried about the reverse lamp.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks