Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2013, 12:21   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Travel Business Class : My Renault Scala EDIT: Sold after 4+ years and 95000 km!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
In more ways than one the Scala looks like a Mini teana with that chrome strip at the back!

Nice pictures. Would be interesting to know overall cost of ownership as you cross the miles.
Thanks, yes shall keep the thread uploaded.

Also 10,000 km service coming up shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Looks like you have invested quite a lot of time for the pictorial review. Guess that's first of a kind! Good one.

Hey, do you really think Scala's back is "sexy"?!!
Thanks ! Oh yea i love the rear, very intelligently designed. Infact the rear & rear 3/4 is where the USP of the car's looks are IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I had TDed a Sunny a week back and was bowled over it as a package. It's nice to drive as well as to be driven in! And a decent price too.

Congrats on the car and wish you miles of happy & safe motoring!
Sunny is lighter on the wallet & no doubt has gained popularity too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I believe this shall spark a trend in which ownership reviews are penned on Team BHP. As Shankar says, the presentation is worth a mention.
Hi Sheel,

Yes, i had a theme in my mind for the Scala & i tried my best to work it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
And you do love Cars. For someone driving a T-Fort, Cruz & 3 series, penning a review of this stature can only be from a BHP-ian
Now those were very kind words, Thanks a lot man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
That is an innovative way of reviewing a car. A good one.
Scala seems to be a good chauffeur drive car - the owner enjoys the space while the driver has a boring drive.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Congratulations Karan! That’s a very well written review, letting the classy pictures to explain the key strengths of the car – i.e.; space and comfort. Thanks for sharing

On a side note, a pair of brown/tan shoes would have been better – to go with the brown belt and the Tag Heuer
Ha Ha, quite observant & regarding the brown/tan shoes bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Congratulations on your buy Karan and wish you many happy miles in your new baby!

I like the diesel Scala and think it's a decent enough vehicle to be chauffered around in absolute affordable luxury, with nicer looks than the Sunny to boot.

I really didn't understand how lack of reach adjust on the steering is a good point, though . Maybe you can explain?
Hi noopster,

Yes it is a good point when you are going to sit behind and enjoy & a negative when you take the wheel.

But any way this doesnt matter as my driver is short (about 5 ft. tall) so always keeps the seat to minimum travel, heres my pic of driver standing with the CAR;

Travel Business Class : My Renault Scala EDIT: Sold after 4+ years and 95000 km!-service-3.jpg

^ Quite an example of an ideal driver, ha ha

Last edited by karan561 : 18th February 2013 at 12:37.
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 13:10   #17
Team-BHP Support

re: Travel Business Class : My Renault Scala EDIT: Sold after 4+ years and 95000 km!

Wonderful review karan561! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. This is perhaps the only review which explains the positives, negatives and aspects of the car from a chauffeur driven passenger's perspective, in addition to (without leaving out) explaining the technical aspects from a driver's perspective as well. Kudos! Rating it a well-deserved 5 stars, wish there were more stars to give.

What is very well done is how you have highlighted the business class / chauffeur driven aspects nicely right from the very beginning of the thread. Nice and different theme, very well executed too with the pictures!

The Sunny/Scala twins, I have to add, are the most family-friendly cars out there in the C-segment market. Without a shadow of a doubt, these 2 cars demolish everything else in the sub-15L space for back seat space and comfort. Even as a self-driven car for family use, they are easy to drive around with minimal fuss. With a chauffeur, its a no-brainer. Nice choice!

Considering you are going to be chauffeur driven most of the time in the Scala, are you considering fitting any LCD monitors (or other form of ICE) behind the front seat headrest a la the BMWs? That will make the business trips less boring.

P.S - here's wishing you many miles of rear seat time with the Scala! All the best with your purchase, and do keep this thread flowing with updates!

Last edited by KarthikK : 18th February 2013 at 13:20.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 14:04   #18
BHPian

Congrats,Karan for the spacious scala.Did you Td the automatic scala?The rear leg room is at par with skoda Superb.What kind of FE you are getting in it?
Wish you happy motoring with the Scala.
Old 18th February 2013, 15:46   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Wonderful review karan561! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. This is perhaps the only review which explains the positives, negatives and aspects of the car from a chauffeur driven passenger's perspective, in addition to (without leaving out) explaining the technical aspects from a driver's perspective as well. Kudos! Rating it a well-deserved 5 stars, wish there were more stars to give.
Thanks, i am glad you liked my approach on this review & many thanks for the rating as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Considering you are going to be chauffeur driven most of the time in the Scala, are you considering fitting any LCD monitors (or other form of ICE) behind the front seat headrest a la the BMWs? That will make the business trips less boring.
No, i have not planned any such upgrades yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post
Congrats,Karan for the spacious scala.Did you Td the automatic scala?The rear leg room is at par with skoda Superb.What kind of FE you are getting in it?
Wish you happy motoring with the Scala.
Thanks Kedar,

The Scala is really easy on the pocket, the FE attained till now is somewhat like this;

On my daily commute (when chauffeur driven) i manage to clock consistently in the 16s

Travel Business Class : My Renault Scala EDIT: Sold after 4+ years and 95000 km!-photo-2.jpg

This is when on an highway/NH trips;

Travel Business Class : My Renault Scala EDIT: Sold after 4+ years and 95000 km!-photo-1.jpg

Also managed to get this high FE while i was driving ( < 80 km/hr )

Travel Business Class : My Renault Scala EDIT: Sold after 4+ years and 95000 km!-photo.jpg

Also havent test driven the scala a/t yet

Last edited by karan561 : 18th February 2013 at 16:15.
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 16:15   #20
BHPian

Congratulations Karan, and some seriously good pics to go with the awesome write-up! This has set me thinking, on considering the Scala for my parents in Mumbai. I may have missed it, but what was the OTR price? And do we have a Renault ASC in Mulund?
venkat_iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 19:10   #21
BHPian

Congrats. Very well written & awesome pics.
I own a Nissan Sunny Petrol; the twin of the Scala, and yeah the car grows on you. On a recent trip to Lonavala, I got 17.5 kmpl for the petrol engine.

I am 6' 2 and do not have an issue with steering reach.. Maybe you just need to spend some time getting to a good position.
Seeler_Rebeiro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 20:05   #22
BHPian

Interesting review. Renault can use some of the cues in the review for the advertising strategy for Scala. Excellent diesel figures from the diesel.
Wishing you loads of happy miles with the Renault.

Last edited by GTO : 19th February 2013 at 12:26. Reason: Fixing typo
Utopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 20:29   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting and one of its kind review. Five stars for the effort. Really highlights the main USP of the car. Any reason for not considering the Sunny Top end? The price differential is not that great between the two right?
The best part is even with the drivers seat set in the last position, there is still huge legroom available at the rear. The Sunny/Scala are "God sent" kind of vehicles for the chauffeur driven atleast!
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 21:13   #24
Team-BHP Support

Echoing every one's thoughts. A unique presentation indeed! You did arrive in style. Between the Sunney and Scala; the Scala does look much better indeed!
Already 10K up? Looks like its the beater car of the family. Congrats and wish you many more miles.

PS : Is that how you dress up for work every day or its just for the photo shoot ?
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 00:22   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat_iyer View Post
Congratulations Karan, and some seriously good pics to go with the awesome write-up! This has set me thinking, on considering the Scala for my parents in Mumbai. I may have missed it, but what was the OTR price? And do we have a Renault ASC in Mulund?
Hey Venkat,

Thanks, the OTR for the RxL Model for me was 9.3L (Silvasa, DNH)

Sadly no ASC in mulund yet, the closest one is at Thane (Ghodbunder Rd.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeler_Rebeiro View Post
Congrats. Very well written & awesome pics.
I own a Nissan Sunny Petrol; the twin of the Scala, and yeah the car grows on you. On a recent trip to Lonavala, I got 17.5 kmpl for the petrol engine.

I am 6' 2 and do not have an issue with steering reach.. Maybe you just need to spend some time getting to a good position.
Thanks,

17.5 km/l from a petrol is real good, im sure you would have only feathered the accelerator & more than that it requires some intelligent driving to achieve this kind of economy, GREAT STUFF !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Interesting review. Renault can use some of the cues in the review for the advertising strategy for Scala. Excellent diesel figures from the diesel.
Wishing you loads of happly miles with the Renault.
Thanks !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Interesting and one of its kind review. Five stars for the effort. Really highlights the main USP of the car. Any reason for not considering the Sunny Top end? The price differential is not that great between the two right?
The best part is even with the drivers seat set in the last position, there is still huge legroom available at the rear. The Sunny/Scala are "God sent" kind of vehicles for the chauffeur driven atleast!
Thanks !!!

Because there was no reason to upgrade to RxZ.

Rxl is fairly loaded(steering mounted controls, alloy wheels, etc in technically base model of diesel)

& my priority was Rear center arm rest which is being provided in RxL ( may be if this was only available in RxZ i would have opted for the top model )

Also price difference was aprox 80k

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Echoing every one's thoughts. A unique presentation indeed! You did arrive in style. Between the Sunney and Scala; the Scala does look much better indeed!
Already 10K up? Looks like its the beater car of the family. Congrats and wish you many more miles.

PS : Is that how you dress up for work every day or its just for the photo shoot ?
Thanks ampere,

Yes this car does the bulk of the running in city as well as NH (NH8, Pune EE Hwy) so have done up quite a bit of distance in a short while. In fact i am in pune while writing this reply

PS - What i have worn is what i wear to office daily ( minus the Blazer/Jacket offcourse )

Last edited by karan561 : 19th February 2013 at 00:36.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 17:24   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a visit to Pune yesterday & had to pick a car from the lot to do the journey & due to the wonderful response / comments received on the thread so got nostalgic & picked the Scala to do the job & gave the driver a day off

It was a wonderful drive & back. However heres a short report on my journey back on FE figures;

Started from Pune en route Mumbai at around 11:30 am today morning;

Also had planned a conservative drive back to get max FE as it was a good opportunity to test the FE figure as cops are on the boil recently @ the EE Hwy.

A shot of me at the wheel (1st time on EE Hwy);

Travel Business Class : My Renault Scala EDIT: Sold after 4+ years and 95000 km!-wheel.jpg

Had a quick lunch halt @ Food mall after Lonavla.

& the EE Hwy was done with at about 2 pm & this was the FE figure while exiting the EE Hwy;

Travel Business Class : My Renault Scala EDIT: Sold after 4+ years and 95000 km!-28.1.jpg

^ A STAGGERING 28.1 km/l

& by the time i reached home the FE settled @ 27 km/l

Travel Business Class : My Renault Scala EDIT: Sold after 4+ years and 95000 km!-27.jpg

IMO these are astonishing figures the MID showed, partly because of the downhill ghat too (i.e. Pune to Mumbai so)

* Note : This was with 4 passengers on board + Luggage, Tire pressure @ 32 psi all round

Last edited by karan561 : 19th February 2013 at 17:29.
karan561 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 18:03   #27
BHPian

ha ha ha! is that you as the model mate? Was confused if it was a intro to you or to the car!!

Congrats on the new buy buddy! That's one car in its class that truly defines interior space! Wish the rear seat provided more under thigh support (which can really matter on long stints).

Drive safe!
vinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 18:30   #28
BHPian

Really nice presentation and bag of congratulations to you for your acquisition of the Scala. I too feel that this is a better alternative to those who wish to travel with some bling unlike the staid and bland Sunny. And the phenomenal legroom just adds to the utility of this chauffered-in vehicle, eh? A kerb weight of approximately 1062 kg's (please correct me if I'm wrong) should mean decent performance, but after all this is a vehicle to be enjoyed from the back seat.

And enjoy travelling Business Class!

Keep revvin'
S@ndy

P.S. Nice watch!
S@ndy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 20:24   #29
BHPian

Nice review.

I remember my TD of Scala, the car which the SA got was in pathetic condition (dusty to say the least) and he kept on pushing me to consider Duster. The pics you posted look much better than the car I saw in person In any case, I think Renault got their ads wrong in the TV. They should seriously consider talking to you

Wishing you many happy miles and do keep posting updates.
stringbh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 21:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hi Karan,
Nice review indeed.
I do not know if these MID figures are really true.
A friend of mine drives a Micra and she also keeps saying that her MID shows quite high mileage figures. But when she checked it in the more conventional empty to empty tank method, she said the mileage figures were much lesser/beleivable (~17 kmpl in city driving).
Not sure if this is really the case with the Scala too? Any experiences to share?
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks