Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2013, 09:49   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: iGen i20 Sportz CRDi - Ownership report EDIT: Sold after accident!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
Hi Arvind, is the suspension noise like a muted thud or a crash kind of sound with squeaks? If its the thud, its an issue that was/is present in i20s. A friend of mine got it rectified and the SA said it was some issue with a bush/mounting on the suspension/wheel point or something to that tune.
It is a thud which sometimes comes from both the front wheels and sometimes from one of the wheels. I will check it with the SA when I drop the car for the first service. Thank you!!
Old 18th March 2013, 10:21   #47
BHPian

Don't mention it Arvind . Also, incase the noise persists, ask them to do a refitting of the suspension and lubricate each and every joint. The noise i suppose could be due to a sudden decompression of the shocks which would go and hit somewhere and cause a thud sound. If its a crash-type of sound, then ask the HASS to inspect the cup(it looks like a cup IIRC) assembly near the wheel joint. If it has bruises then i suppose you have your culprit.

P.S: What wheels are you running on? Stock 14" ?

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 18th March 2013 at 10:24.
Arch-Angel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 11:24   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't mention it Arvind . Also, incase the noise persists, ask them to do a refitting of the suspension and lubricate each and every joint. The noise i suppose could be due to a sudden decompression of the shocks which would go and hit somewhere and cause a thud sound. If its a crash-type of sound, then ask the HASS to inspect the cup(it looks like a cup IIRC) assembly near the wheel joint. If it has bruises then i suppose you have your culprit.

P.S: What wheels are you running on? Stock 14" ?
Thank you. I will check it out with the SA. Yes it is running on the stock tyres only
Old 18th March 2013, 11:39   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Thank you. I will check it out with the SA. Yes it is running on the stock tyres only
I really hope you don't have the dreaded steering rack noise reported by many others on our forum. Also from what I have heard from many of my friends is that upsizing of tires helps to cure the noise from the suspension to some extent and also to dramatically improve the ride quality too. It might be a slightly expensive proposition but i may as well try it if all else fails.
Old 18th March 2013, 13:54   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I really hope you don't have the dreaded steering rack noise reported by many others on our forum. Also from what I have heard from many of my friends is that upsizing of tires helps to cure the noise from the suspension to some extent and also to dramatically improve the ride quality too. It might be a slightly expensive proposition but i may as well try it if all else fails.
Nope it has not yet surfaced and hope it does not as well

If I go slowly over speed breakers or potholes its not appearing. It is livable for now. Right now, no funds for upsizing wheels
Old 18th March 2013, 14:03   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Nope it has not yet surfaced and hope it does not as well
If I go slowly over speed breakers or potholes its not appearing. It is livable for now. Right now, no funds for upsizing wheels
I don't think the new facelift i20s will have the issue but anyways, do give her new footwear sometime later when bank balance permits . Women; Aren't they all choosy about footwear .

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 18th March 2013 at 14:07.
Old 18th March 2013, 17:10   #52
BHPian

You will need the ipod cable, that has the 3.5mm + USB port to get control on your itouch.

And the suspension thud is driving me crazy. V3 Hyundai service claims they have lubricated it. I do hear some creeks from dash and the AC blower has got noisy at 3 & 4.

Quote:
Some more observations:
[*]My itouch is not recognized by the player. I use the apple provided cable to connect it via USB. Any suggestions to make it work? I dont want to go the Aux way as I would like to choose the songs which are being played[*]The suspensions make a thud noise when going over speed breakers or pot holes at barely above minimum speed. I thought it resolved by itself but appeared with a vengeance last night again. The only solution right now is to go very slowly over potholes. Will check with the service guys on what can be done to prevent it
[
haithereitsme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 10:40   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haithereitsme View Post
You will need the ipod cable, that has the 3.5mm + USB port to get control on your itouch.

And the suspension thud is driving me crazy. V3 Hyundai service claims they have lubricated it. I do hear some creeks from dash and the AC blower has got noisy at 3 & 4.
Hi Haithereitsme , I want the itouch to play when I connect it to the USB port of my car. I want control to be retained in the car's HU and not the itouch as I find it difficult to change songs when I use the AUX port. When I connect my classic Ipod to the USB port, there are no issues, it gets recognized and plays all songs. Not sure what the problem is, maybe that particular generation of itouch is incompatible.

On a side not, also gave my car for its first service today at 1690kms. Explained to the SA the suspension noise and he said he will look into it. He also asked me to get some electronic parts protection coating done in the engine bay. He told that otherwise the electronic parts might get covered by dust, thus making it malfunction. I declined it for now. What I want to know is, what is this coating which will supposedly prevent dust from accumulating in the engine bay? I had no idea that something like this existed. He was quoting 900 + taxes for the same.
Old 19th March 2013, 13:25   #54
BHPian

Quote:
On a side not, also gave my car for its first service today at 1690kms. Explained to the SA the suspension noise and he said he will look into it. He also asked me to get some electronic parts protection coating done in the engine bay. He told that otherwise the electronic parts might get covered by dust, thus making it malfunction. I declined it for now. What I want to know is, what is this coating which will supposedly prevent dust from accumulating in the engine bay? I had no idea that something like this existed. He was quoting 900 + taxes for the same.
Another of Hyundai A** way of extracting money from customers. They will insist on you doing all kinds of coatings right from underbody, body paint, dashboard, engine bay coating blah blah. Underbody and exterior paint coating do enhance the life of the sheet metal but I find the others absolutely useless.

It is not at all necessary to get the whatever part protection painting that he wants you to do. The manufacturer would have already taken any precautions to prevent such malfunctions due to dust accumulation. Infact there are more chances of electronic malfunction after the coating because the spray of whatever chemical he uses for the coating might get into the parts.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 15:15   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Another of Hyundai A** way of extracting money from customers. They will insist on you doing all kinds of coatings right from underbody, body paint, dashboard, engine bay coating blah blah. Underbody and exterior paint coating do enhance the life of the sheet metal but I find the others absolutely useless.

It is not at all necessary to get the whatever part protection painting that he wants you to do. The manufacturer would have already taken any precautions to prevent such malfunctions due to dust accumulation. Infact there are more chances of electronic malfunction after the coating because the spray of whatever chemical he uses for the coating might get into the parts.
Yes, thought so too so declined it. Thank you!!! Also, partly concerned about the fact that engine oil is not going to be changed as my swift's oil was changed at 1000kms. Anyway, will keep a watch on the oil levels and color and change it at 5000km if the need arises. Will get my car today back from service so will post the first service feedback soon.
Old 19th March 2013, 15:28   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Also, partly concerned about the fact that engine oil is not going to be changed as my swift's oil was changed at 1000kms. Anyway, will keep a watch on the oil levels and color and change it at 5000km if the need arises. Will get my car today back from service so will post the first service feedback soon.
Thats quite normal for the i20. Engine oil change is scheduled only during the 2nd free service. You need not worry about changing it anytime before that.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 16:52   #57
Senior - BHPian

Got the car back from the first service
  • Total bill came to 0. Engine oil, coolant etc. were topped up.
  • Exterior and Interior cleaning was done. Job was well done. Even the tyres were washed
  • Got the extended warranty for the car done. It came to 13312 with a discount of 20% for the 3rd and 4th years combined. The extended warranty is applicable for 4 years or 80,000 kms whichever comes earlier. I asked them and they told that the 5th year warranty is not provided for Diesels!!!
  • The SA told me that a nut was loose and this was the cause of the suspension noise and it should be fine now. Did not go through a pot hole yet so will revert back on that once I encounter such a situation
PS: Whats the oil which is used in i20? Is it mineral or synthetic? Checked with the SA and he was not very sure. He told me Servo.

Last edited by arvind71181 : 19th March 2013 at 16:53. Reason: Added PS
Old 19th March 2013, 17:58   #58
BHPian

Quote:
PS: Whats the oil which is used in i20?
For most of the part, new diesel mills come factory-filled with mineral oil of the grade specified in the manual. Mineral oil is beneficial during the engine break-in process from what i have heard. After 1000Kms, swap out the old oil, go for synthetic oil and change your airfilter and you are good to go. Experts can give you a better idea regarding oil/filter changes. But this what i would do.

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 19th March 2013 at 17:59.
Old 20th March 2013, 02:07   #59

Quote:
Thank you. 3K in one month!! Very much in love with the car I guess. Why dont you put up an ownership report?

Oh ok. I checked with the SA during delivery and they told me that no oil change is required. Any benefits of doing the oil change over and above the recommendation of the SA? I thought of going with whatever the SA had told me.

Yes the steering is light but that makes it immensely helpful for city driving. I love my swift's steering though, especially after driving the i20 for a week

Good to hear that. My dad has taken it to Bangalore this week and I am sure for speeds of upto a 100, the car will behave well. I also have not taken the extended warranty and so will check out if that can be done during the first service.

Yes, it does turn heads. In fact, a couple of times, I have had people asking me to switch the light off and I assume they thought I was driving with the lights on during the day
ODO reads 4k kms now.

There is this Thread in the Forum related to maintaining your Car well and it was mentioned over there to get oil changed due to silver chippings or something like that. I am sorry but do not remember the exact verbiage and/or the Thread name. I chose to get it done hence.

In city driving and parking in the malls is a breeze but i tried to take a swooping turn and will never dare do that ever again. No love lost for the car though.

Hope your dad had only good things to say after his Bangalore trip.
abhi7887 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2013, 09:17   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For most of the part, new diesel mills come factory-filled with mineral oil of the grade specified in the manual. Mineral oil is beneficial during the engine break-in process from what i have heard. After 1000Kms, swap out the old oil, go for synthetic oil and change your airfilter and you are good to go. Experts can give you a better idea regarding oil/filter changes. But this what i would do.
Just got the car back yesterday and I did not change the oil as the SA and the manual suggested that I need not do it. Will have a check once again at the 5k mark and replace if required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7887 View Post
ODO reads 4k kms now.

There is this Thread in the Forum related to maintaining your Car well and it was mentioned over there to get oil changed due to silver chippings or something like that. I am sorry but do not remember the exact verbiage and/or the Thread name. I chose to get it done hence.

In city driving and parking in the malls is a breeze but i tried to take a swooping turn and will never dare do that ever again. No love lost for the car though.

Hope your dad had only good things to say after his Bangalore trip.
Yes, I saw that thread and it does mention that a change is recommended. However, I have chosen to go with what the SA says but will do a check at the 5k level to see if a change is required. My dad was very happy with the car during the trip. He says it pulls very fast when in the turbo zone.

Checked the suspension today and again heard the thud noise when I drobe over a pothole. However the noise is only being heard when I go over potholes at speeds at which I am not supposed to go over potholes/speedbreakers. When in low speeds, I do not hear it so I guess I am ok with it (I have to be too )
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks