Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2015, 17:24   #61
BHPian

Re: Pre-owned Hyundai Tucson: The initiation of Ms. Tooky-san

looks like the tooky bug is biting me too. can't decide whether to go for a used tooki or a used pajero.

@mayank: aren't you worried about the NGT ban?
Old 3rd July 2015, 17:35   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydriver84 View Post
looks like the tooky bug is biting me too. can't decide whether to go for a used tooki or a used pajero.

@mayank: aren't you worried about the NGT ban?
You've a choice for the same price? I would think they're two very different cars. The tooky is more City Centre, whose the pajero seemsa bit more farmhouse. Take your pick.
Tell me more. Edit<you're in Gurgaon. If you can, show me and Raj the car. If it's a tooky, I can tell you whether to go for it />
And about the ngt ban, yes, I'm worried if it comes in, but I don't think it will happen. One, because the government said so, and chiefly because of the lifetime tax on cars. It's next to impossible to get money back from the tax guys.

Life's too short to worry about resale anyway.

Last edited by mayankk : 3rd July 2015 at 17:38.
Old 6th July 2015, 13:11   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

So she's back.
Everything as mentioned previously has been changed.
However, when I received it, there was a loose hose near the EGR, which was giving out a loud noise. That was fixed, adn the car sounded more or less normal. I was also wary, since ive been warned to keep her at or under 2500 rpm for the next 1000kms. This is hard.
So , I cant comment on how good or bad it is after the open heart.
One thing I have an issue with is, there are a few vibrations coming through the steering wheel. I've just driven her for about 50kms, so maybe its just normal, but I am noticing it now because I've been on an exclusive fiesta diet for the past week.

I pointed this out to the mechanic, raj, and he said, don't notice anything for the next 1000kms. Let it settle in, and after the service, after this period, if there is anything off, then we'll check. Anyway, He's liable 100% for the car, so I am taking it easy for now.

Oh, and I just remembered the behavior of the car before the timing went off.
The idle dropped to 400 when I started her and let her warm up. The idle was dropping at start earlier too, for about a week, but I didn't bother, unfortunately. The day it went kaput, it dropped to 400, came back up, and after 10 kms, and some acceleration moves, when it got to the mechanic, the ball(valve) dropped.
So, if you notice this, keep this in mind.
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 11:53   #64
Senior - BHPian

What was the total cost, finally? Labour and parts break-down if possible.
Old 7th July 2015, 11:56   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
What was the total cost, finally? Labour and parts break-down if possible.
40 k for parts, rest for consumables and labor. 58 in all.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 13:08   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

It seems a repaint is on the cards.
Also, learn from me:
I parked under a jamun tree over the weekend, and I could see some of the fruits on the bonnet from my balcony. The cleaner went off over the weekend, and they remained. ANyway, on a monday, i went to the car and the stains just wouldn't come off. Had to get it rubbed. The bonnet shone, shone so well, it showed against the rest of the car. and the ridges on the bonnet became a greyish white, like when you lick a gems, and the color starts fading(?), that sort.

So anyway, over the next few months, I'll try and finish off the repaint.
I plan to have the wheels finished in the same shade as the cladding, a sort of blackish grey, rather than have the whole thing(wheels and cladding) in black.

I went with money to pick out alloys for the car, but there is nothing available, at-least in south delhi/noida, that suits this car. I was looking for 5 spoke, slight deep dish ones, with not a lot of detail. Plain-er ones. Nothing good. A lot of the dealers were pushing for the thin spoked ones, but they somehow looked a little poliomyelitis to me.

Last edited by mayankk : 5th August 2015 at 13:11.
Old 24th August 2015, 13:09   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Still waiting for the 1000kms to finish before the service.
Thats what I get for getting a job 10 kms from home.

In the meantime, an interesting bit of information came by. The PUC expired, and I stopped at a PUC station to get it certified again. Now, they gent over there says he cant do sir because there are two exhausts. There are quite a few cars in Delhi with two exhausts, so are there dedicated station for those????
He didn't have any clue, and told me to get it done in Noida only.
After some cajoling, he issued a certificate by checking with the sensor put in the dipstick hole in the engine.
Very strange!
Old 26th August 2015, 13:28   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the update on engine overhaul. How much the service center was quoting for this? Is the steering vibration resolved? (mine does not have it, so I guess it's not normal). Oil consumption has fully stopped?

This PUC with 2 exhaust thing seems funny. I regularly get mine done anywhere I feel like. They just need to collect some amount of exhaust gas for analysis, numbers of exhausts should be immaterial.

Cheers!
Old 26th August 2015, 13:54   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Thanks for the update on engine overhaul. How much the service center was quoting for this? Is the steering vibration resolved? (mine does not have it, so I guess it's not normal). Oil consumption has fully stopped?

This PUC with 2 exhaust thing seems funny. I regularly get mine done anywhere I feel like. They just need to collect some amount of exhaust gas for analysis, numbers of exhausts should be immaterial.

Cheers!

Unfortunately, I've still not managed to finish off the 1k Kms.
200 more to go. However, in any case, I'm depositing her at the mechanic this Saturday, and the guys has decided to put his reputation on the line in promising me a fastly/smoothly singing dancing car.
Will update ASAP!
Old 27th August 2015, 14:51   #70
BHPian

Hey mayankk, that's a nice car you got there! Tucson was one of my favourite cars of its time, actually I was even thinking of buying one used however the availability of spares and service in the aftermarket made me put it down :(

Also, what I have heard is that the life of Hyundai's diesel engine is not long, they start giving troubles post 1lakh ima mark! I don't know how true is that. However since you are done with the overhauling, I don't think there shall be any issue with the car for a pretty long time!
Though their petrol engines are outstanding

How is the car behaving post overhauling? I wish you complete those 200 kms left soon so a proper evaluation can be done of the engine.

For the steering vibration, if it is a hydraulic unit, check with the pulleys and belts. Once I had faced a similar issue since the pulley was a bit loose/out of alignment!

Good luck with the car.
parth.jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 13:21   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

The car has covered 1000+ kms now after the overhaul, but has still not gone for service. The mechanic is not available.
However, the autocop is giving me grief now. Yesterday, I dont what I did, but the lock unlock buttons are not doing anything. I press the buttons, the indicators flash, but doesn't lock/unlock the car. I have to do it with my key. Central locking still works. The car locks after I start it as well, but nothing from the buttons. Very Annoying!

Last edited by mayankk : 23rd September 2015 at 13:26.
Old 23rd September 2015, 14:03   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
The car has covered 1000+ kms now after the overhaul, but has still not gone for service. The mechanic is not available.
However, the autocop is giving me grief now. Yesterday, I dont what I did, but the lock unlock buttons are not doing anything. I press the buttons, the indicators flash, but doesn't lock/unlock the car. I have to do it with my key. Central locking still works. The car locks after I start it as well, but nothing from the buttons. Very Annoying!
FIxed it.
Apparently I did "programming", more than I did in my Comp Engg!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...g-issue-2.html
Old 7th October 2015, 13:42   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

SO finally, last Saturday, the car got serviced.
Everything is holding up well.
Raj the meh says he has checked and fixed up everything, and the car does feel smoother.
Its not become factory fresh, but definitely less vibrating than before.
However, it took me so long to finish the 1000kms for the "run-in" , I got used to the ehavy vibes in this period, and completely forgot about how it felt before the overhaul. So, compared to the last 1k, its definitely much much better.
Clutch clatter is still the biggest problem. I THOUGHT its clutch clatter, but the mech insists its from the four wheel drive system. One alternator pulley needs to be changed.

Around dussehra she's taking us all to bhimtal, so will have a better understanding then.
I would like to say it was worth it, but reconsidering, what other option was there?
Old 20th October 2015, 11:24   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

So the alternator pulley was changed yesterday, as was the tensioner.
I also got the battery changed, since I was getting a few hiccups in cold starts for the past few days. Its all well now.
Now that I have driven it for a few days, its definitely much smoother, the engine, compared to what it was before. Part of the noise that was being attributed to clutch clatter/ 4wd is gone. It was the tensioner bearings(?).

Pulley and tensioner : 3700
Battery: SF 80 Ah for 5200 under exchange
Total with assorted others: 9500

Hopefully no more fixing expenses until the next service, which going by my current driving would be in middle of next year.
Old 26th October 2015, 10:29   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Tooky be back from a 700km trip to Bhimtal.
Reserve to reserve she took 60 litres of fuel.Yes, I put in a little more after cutoff.
That gave me a healthy 11.5+ kmpl on city/highway/mountains, which I feel is admirable.
I am glad to report that all is well. She's been on a trip or the other every-time she has been to the mechanic, and trial by fire has always been passed successfully.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks