Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2013, 19:01   #91
sdh
BHPian

Re: VW Polo GT TSI - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report

Prithwi, can you please share closeup with the floor mat removed. I wanted to get an idea of how the carpet is cut.
Old 11th October 2013, 17:34   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_pal View Post
Dude, I'm really sorry, but I don't buy your 8.08 second time! It definitely doesn't feel like an 8 second car. And gains of nearly 2 seconds on 97 vs. 91 octane is unbelievable.
VAG officially claims 9.6 seconds. It would be possible I suppose to get that down to between 9-9.2. But anything more than that on a stock car is crazy.
What was the surface you were on? We're you going down a slight slope? Any significant winds?
Are you giving us runs in one direction? Or did you do runs in both directions and take an average?
It seems there was some oddity in the testing I did. Re-did the testing with 97 and best I could get was 8.5/8.6 sec with 32psi tire pressure and 1/4th tank. Still hugely potent for a tiny 1.2 car. Plan to do some more runs with vcds plugged in so I can post the logs showing the timings.
Old 11th October 2013, 18:49   #93
BHPian

Hello Prithwi, You sir have very well made your Polo TSi, the way it should have been ideally sold by VW. The R-Line Steering wheel with paddles, the R-Line Maxidot instrument cluster, dead pedal & armrest (I mean come on VW, seriously?). All what it needs is probably a RCD510 to just completely transform this car to a real "highline" as they call it. Excellent OEM mods carried out on this car, brillant job.

Couple of questions for you, what if I'd like to get the Maxidot binnacle for my soon to arrive GT TDI. The tacho read outs are clearly for the petrol version, is there a special binnacle for diesels as well? Did you find a solution to that coolant level sensor error?
Old 11th October 2013, 19:50   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
It seems there was some oddity in the testing I did. Re-did the testing with 97 and best I could get was 8.5/8.6 sec with 32psi tire pressure and 1/4th tank. Still hugely potent for a tiny 1.2 car. Plan to do some more runs with vcds plugged in so I can post the logs showing the timings.
Yeah, getting a Vcds and uploading the data would be cool. What's the weather like in Delhi? What time do you do the runs? Why don't you also do multiple runs in both directions and take an average of the two. Wouldn't that nullify any advantages or disadvantages?
How do you launch the car? With the handbrake? I put it in S, yanked the handbrake and the car had squatted quite a bit. Felt that if I touch the throttle it would start rolling. I don't think I'll be doing a 0-100 run for at least the first couple of months, till I get about 2k km on the odo. Currently it's edging past 300 in its first week. Plus in the sultry weather of Bombay I doubt I'd be able to get a time that you would get in cold Delhi.
Can you tell me how to access the XDS module so I can get it set to strong?
Plus, you've pretty much discarded the warranty haven't you?

Out of curiosity, would there be any chance of maybe twin charging the engine at a late date? Like the VAG 1.4's. The engine bay looks empty with just a 1.2 and a turbocharger.
Old 24th October 2013, 23:42   #95
BHPian

XDS module enabled... Brakes set to Early Assist, XDS set to strong..
WHOOOOOOHOOO, what a difference it made.

Brake engagement is much more linear, feel improved a bit
Doesnt go to the floor, and is much more responsive
Still not as good as a normal brake but definitely a lot more responsive than stock!

XDS is a whole different story, the car almost pulls towards the apex in situations that would have caused understeer earlier. Only side effect is that brake wear will increase. But honestly unless u drive like autox every day, it shouldn't concern you much.

The suspension.. o the suspension! 90% of the time during ur daily usage of the car, you will love it.. smooth, firm enough and does its job. Even the ride height makes u happy considering how bad the delhi - gurgaon roads are. BUT, and there is always a BUT, that 10% of the time when ur really having fun driving the car, it just gives way and leaves u so utterly clueless and stranded, u HATE it. Totally HATE it.

Its like the suspension gives up way too early. That 10% of the time u want it to behave, it just runs away and becomes a toyota.
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 09:20   #96
sdh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post
Hello Prithwi, You sir have very well made your Polo TSi, the way it should have been ideally sold by VW. The R-Line Steering wheel with paddles, the R-Line Maxidot instrument cluster, dead pedal & armrest (I mean come on VW, seriously?). All what it needs is probably a RCD510 to just completely transform this car to a real "highline" as they call it. Excellent OEM mods carried out on this car, brillant job.

Couple of questions for you, what if I'd like to get the Maxidot binnacle for my soon to arrive GT TDI. The tacho read outs are clearly for the petrol version, is there a special binnacle for diesels as well? Did you find a solution to that coolant level sensor error?
I came across a ebay seller selling RNS510 at very competitive prices. There is a choice between old LCD models and new LED back-lit LCD models. The shipping also looks reasonable. Have a look here http://stores.ebay.com/sat-nav-syste...=p4634.c0.m322
Old 25th October 2013, 10:09   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdh View Post
I came across a ebay seller selling RNS510 at very competitive prices. There is a choice between old LCD models and new LED back-lit LCD models. The shipping also looks reasonable. Have a look here http://stores.ebay.com/sat-nav-syste...=p4634.c0.m322
Seems like the units are used ones hence the low prices. I may be wrong, please check again.
Old 25th October 2013, 11:41   #98

Mod Note : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 25th October 2013 at 15:52.
Leo_Rulez is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th October 2013, 12:07   #99
BHPian

I just checked again. Sounds like quite a deal. However customs is 30% of landed cost ie item cost + shipping. This could make it a very expensive proposition.

Last edited by GTO : 25th October 2013 at 15:53. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 25th October 2013, 15:18   #100
sdh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu_j View Post
I just checked again. Sounds like quite a deal. However customs is 30% of landed cost ie item cost + shipping. This could make it a very expensive proposition.
My point was others are selling the same system for $2000. The customs is an invariant on all orders shipped from abroad. For less than $1000, it greatly brings the RNS510 in affordable rage for more people. I think RNS510 with 9W7 or 9WZ Bluetooth module makes it complete high high-line spec.
Old 27th October 2013, 13:39   #101
BHPian

RNS 510 is not worth it imho, especially cuz u have to get the bluetooth module, mic etc etc with it. I'd rather go with a VW specific kenwood unit or VW Specific Blaupunkt unit that integrates with my highline cluster mfd.

Overall a cheaper and much better solution.
Old 27th October 2013, 13:45   #102
BHPian

Any updates on coolant sensor problem?Has anyone come up with an exhaust system for the Polo GT?
Old 27th October 2013, 14:01   #103
BHPian

I've been doing a bit of research and the GT TSI has two major blocks that would prevent it from going anywhere beyond Stage 1~1.5.

First the Turbo is way too small for anything beyond 1-2PSI over stock boost. Any more and u will end up stressing the seals which will kill the turbo life.

Second, the SOHC config hugely limits the tuneabilty beyond stage 1.5. Even if u tune it, it will add unwanted stress to the system.

There is no exhaust system specific to the 1.2TSI. all catback's for Polo GTI would fit, but ur better off retaining the resonator as the car sounds shit without one. Also polo GTI is 1.4 and runs a lot higher boost, so the exhaust is of a higher diameter than what would be optimal for the 1.2 mill. Its not a deal breaker though.

The downpipe on the polo is good enuff.. best bet is to take it to a good exhaust shop n remove the cats to free up the flow a bit more. Gives u faster spool and frees up quite a bit of backpressure.

Coolant sensor issue is pretty straight forward. Swap the sensorless harness with one with a sensor. Install is a bit of a pain though. Vagtune guys r working on something. I'll keep u guys updated.
prithwi-81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 14:11   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
The downpipe on the polo is good enuff.. best bet is to take it to a good exhaust shop n remove the cats to free up the flow a bit more. Gives u faster spool and frees up quite a bit of backpressure.

Thanks alot on the exhaust part.I too agree that the stock exhaust are good but after hearing your VRS with the miltek set-up I thought something similar for the GT would be icing on the cake

Hey One more thing:
What do you think about this offer ?
http://www.vagtune.in/index.php?opti..._id=17&lang=en.

Last edited by aah78 : 21st March 2014 at 19:14. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 27th October 2013, 19:12   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Hey One more thing:
What do you think about this offer ?
http://www.vagtune.in/index.php?opti..._id=17&lang=en.
Its a good deal, but the premium for the rcd510 isnt worth it. Plus the 9w system is a bit of a pain to install as you got to take apart quite a bit of the inside.
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks