Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2015, 21:37   #76
BHPian

Re: A Ford EcoSport finds a home - 1.0L EcoBoost Titanium (O)

Thanks. It's a Kinetic Blue Titanium O Ecoboost. I am quite worried about the maintenance of the colour, not because it attracts dust but because it attracts attention. My city was a victim of mild vandalism because of this. Would have to put a body cover every time after parking it lol. If it was a white car,no one would even notice.
Doge is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 11:40   #77
BHPian

Hi Arun, wanted to know that does one have to pay for the spare wheel cover? They are trying to charge 11k for that because "it came with the car".
Old 25th September 2015, 08:14   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Hi Arun, wanted to know that does one have to pay for the spare wheel cover? They are trying to charge 11k for that because "it came with the car".
The spare wheel cover is an accessory and doesn't come with the car from the factory. I don't recall the price of it, but I do remember it was pricey since the painting charges add a few thousands to the cost.

If you've not ordered it, then its their fault for giving it to you, and they can't expect you to pay for it! At the most, they can ask you to return it to them, nothing else.

Sorry about the late reply, I didn't notice your query until today.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 21:07   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
The spare wheel cover is an accessory and doesn't come with the car from the factory. I don't recall the price of it, but I do remember it was pricey since the painting charges add a few thousands to the cost.

If you've not ordered it, then its their fault for giving it to you, and they can't expect you to pay for it! At the most, they can ask you to return it to them, nothing else.

Sorry about the late reply, I didn't notice your query until today.
Your reply was just in time,but still decided to go for the spare wheel cover. Wanted to know at what rpm were you up shifting during the run in?
Old 25th September 2015, 22:23   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Your reply was just in time,but still decided to go for the spare wheel cover.
Cool, good to hear you're keeping the cover. Just remember to put a lock on it

Quote:
Wanted to know at what rpm were you up shifting during the run in?
Quoting from an earlier post, since it contains various points about running in:
Quote:
...everyone have their own opinion about running a car in. My advice is:
  1. Don't lug the engine at row rpms. Use the instantaneous mileage indicator on the MID to gauge the best gear. I was surprised to find in some cases that running my car in 3rd at around 1300-1400 rpm consumed more fuel than in 2nd at a somewhat higher rpm.
  2. Limit yourself to mostly 3000-4000 rpm in the first 1600 km (which is the running in period quoted in the manual).
  3. Vary the rpm periodically (this will occur automatically since you're in the city) so the engine doesn't just cruise at a narrow range of rpms.
  4. Nothing wrong in hard acceleration after about 500 km, but ensure that this occurs in the 2nd & 3rd gears which have adequate torque due to gearing. Try not to do hard acceleration in higher gears yet, that puts more load on the engine/transmission.
  5. Remember the EcoBoost is turbocharged, and also bear in mind that petrol exhaust temperatures are higher than diesel (hence higher heat soak). So its doubly important to idle the engine appropriately, to let the turbocharger cool down.
  6. I'd strongly recommend crossing 6000 rpm only after your first oil + oil filter change.
  7. Remember that the other components also need to be run-in: tires reach peak efficiency only after 500-800 km, and brakes also need slight running in.
One thing I realized is that getting used to the EcoBoost engine's characteristics takes time. While I enjoyed the punch, I was initially very frustrated with its on/off nature when it was off boost (and preferred driving my NA Getz). Over time, I grew accustomed to this (and how to avoid it), and now enjoy it more than the Getz.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 20:44   #81
BHPian

I was looking for a lock on the spare wheel cover but couldn't find one. Neither have I figured out how to get the cover off( will try that tomorrow). Can you throw more light on this?
As for the lag, I don't find it much of a bother in traffic because the clutch can easily make the car crawl like a diesel and the tall 1st gear ensures that I don't jerk her when moving forward. But the speed breakers are a nightmare
Old 1st October 2015, 10:25   #82
BHPian

Quote:
I was looking for a lock on the spare wheel cover but couldn't find one. Neither have I figured out how to get the cover off( will try that tomorrow). Can you throw more light on this?
As for the lag, I don't find it much of a bother in traffic because the clutch can easily make the car crawl like a diesel and the tall 1st gear ensures that I don't jerk her when moving forward. But the speed breakers are a nightmare
The OEM spare wheel cover can only accommodate a very small lock - pretty pointless if you're worried about theft of the cover. Also, if you have a lot of rain/dew, the water tends to flow down the side of the wheel cover and drip down from the latch, so better make sure that the lock is SS, or you may face the prospect of a jammed/rusty lock when the time comes to retrieve the spare wheel.

Regarding removal of the cover, it is fitted onto the back (black) portion held in place by snap fit plastic clips all around the circumference - there should be 8 or 10 of them. Unlocking the latch at the bottom should dislodge the clip behind it. Then work your way gently along the edge from bottom to top. Switch to the other side if a clip feels tight. It's a bit daunting, but only the first time. After a few tries, it's child's play to remove the cover.

While crossing speed breakers, my technique is to coast over them in neutral and then upshift to 2nd/3rd depending on the speed. Helps reduce the turbo lag considerably.

Last edited by hemant.kamat : 1st October 2015 at 10:27.
hemant.kamat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 18:31   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here's a photo of the lock mechanism on the bottom of the cover.
A Ford EcoSport finds a home - 1.0L EcoBoost Titanium (O)-wheel-cover-lock-20130824_175656.jpg
Photo taken from Murugan's EcoSport AT ownership thread (Ford EcoSport 1.5L AT: Ownership Review).

Hemant makes a good point about water/rust.
arunphilip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 15:41   #84
BHPian

Arun, an amazing report on the Ecosport. After reading this, I am glad that i have made a wise decision on buying the ecoboost vehicle. Thanks for all the minute details!

Quote:

One thing I realized is that getting used to the EcoBoost engine's characteristics takes time. While I enjoyed the punch, I was initially very frustrated with its on/off nature when it was off boost (and preferred driving my NA Getz). Over time, I grew accustomed to this (and how to avoid it), and now enjoy it more than the Getz.
Arun, is it really that hard to get adjusted to Ecoboost engine, for a person who drive Getz?! When i did the TD of ecoboost, i really did not feel any discomfort getting adjusted to the gear shifts and it's ratios( TD was within Bangalore city). I did not feel that torque was less either. Only thing which bothered me was a heavier clutch.

Last edited by noopster : 19th April 2016 at 12:52. Reason: Back-to-back posts- please use "multi-quote" option
autospeaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 18:05   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
Arun, is it really that hard to get adjusted to Ecoboost engine, for a person who drive Getz?! When i did the TD of ecoboost, i really did not feel any discomfort getting adjusted to the gear shifts and it's ratios( TD was within Bangalore city). I did not feel that torque was less either. Only thing which bothered me was a heavier clutch.
The key difference I found is that when I'm in 3rd in the city and lose a fair amount of speed (due to traffic, etc.) I could coax the Getz to continue moving in the same gear. However with the EcoBoost engine, it will call for a swift change to 2nd gear.

Likewise, the infamous speed-breaker test - cross a speed-breaker in 2nd, and the low-end torque of the Getz helps you get moving quite easily. With the EcoBoost, you will have to change to 1st, or endure a bit of lag while the RPMs build up in 2nd.

Don't be alarmed by what I'd written: its not a deal-breaker, just something I felt. I think its also tied to driving style (I tend to cruise in the city, I don't drive fast. If you're a driver who's heavier on the throttle, then you won't even see the problem I previously faced). Like I said in the post you've quoted, once you get used to the EcoBoost engine, you'll adapt to its minor flaws (and the strong points of the EcoBoost make it easy to forgive these!)
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 18:15   #86
BHPian

Quote:
The key difference I found is that when I'm in 3rd in the city and lose a fair amount of speed (due to traffic, etc.) I could coax the Getz to continue moving in the same gear. However with the EcoBoost engine, it will call for a swift change to 2nd gear.

Likewise, the infamous speed-breaker test - cross a speed-breaker in 2nd, and the low-end torque of the Getz helps you get moving quite easily. With the EcoBoost, you will have to change to 1st, or endure a bit of lag while the RPMs build up in 2nd.
I do shift to 1st gear even in Getz - I usually dont put that extra load on 2nd gear while crossing a speed breaker. Anyway, just waiting for the Ecoboost. As you have mentioned, these trivial things would vanish once Ecoboost arrives
autospeaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 12:25   #87
BHPian

Hello Arun.
Went through each and every post of yours. It's amazing to see such detailed ownership reviews. It helped me a lot.
We are planning to upgrade our existing WagonR 2010 K10. We are under a strict budget of 10L. I have an open mind so I've shortlisted the following cars:

Vento Highline 1.6.
Honda City 1.5 i-Vtec SV
Ecosport Ecoboost Titanium (it's not available but still the guy at Sabarmati Ford told me he has only 1 Titanium in stock. I don't know how as Ford doesn't even manufacture it now, might be an old one.)
I don't like the Trend+ because I don't like the wheel plates and the absence of the MID above the HU. If I'm fortunate enough I'll get the Titanium one.
The titanium+ is way above our budget.
I was blown away by the driving dynamics of the Ecosport although I drove the Diesel. It absorbs potholes and bad roads at high speeds calmly. I literally abused the car. It was amazing how the car handles this well to my abuse, and trust me when I abuse a car it's really bad. The high seating position is very commanding and you'll literally look down on the puny hatchbacks and sedans. The seats are comfortable as well. Coming to the steering, I felt that it weighed up really well, I touched around three digit speeds and the car felt rock solid and the steering was well weighted.
The rear could easily accommodate 3 adults. Me and my friend and the sales guy could easily sit although it wasn't as comfortable as the City.
I'm planning to take my dad for the next TD as he'll be driving the car 80% times.

I also test drove the Vento, the 1.6 is a rocket I can say. But I'm pretty sure that my mom wouldn't like the huge transmission tunnel at the rear floor. Seating 3 is a bit of an issue since the agress requires a lot of effort by the middle passenger. Otherwise for 2 people the space is more than adequate.
The car is silky smooth and is fun to drive as well. It's a VFM package I'd say. Only thing that bugs us is the cost of ownership and the reliability issues. Other than the car is superb. And yes I should specially highlight the noise insulation, it's amazing.

I also Test drove the Honda City and I felt that it's the least VFM car. Only thing I like about is the cruise control, brand value(which has deteriorated with this 4th Gen as there are way too many niggles), the overall looks and feel of the car, resale value. And mom loves the rear seats recline angle and the seats cushion and the acres of space it offers.
But I highly doubt if this gen city would withstand with such high niggles and service intervals of 6 months.
We are looking for a car which would be with and protect us from all weathers for atleast 6-7 years.
What say guys? Any options?

P.S: After driving the German and the American I don't even feel like considering Suzuki.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th April 2016 at 07:14. Reason: Spacing, mention of high speeds
iss1307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 22:01   #88
BHPian

Can someone give me appx cost of Ecoboost Titanium + model in 2nd hand market. The vehicle is extremely well maintained and done 22000 km.
Old 19th April 2016, 11:32   #89
fry

Re: In the rains, at night, and cleaned up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mariner View Post
The RPM at this point is generally 1000 and at times it lowers to 900/ 950 RPM.

No braking during this time.

I assume you mean that i should idle for about 2-3 mins on starting the engine and prior switch off. Is it ok?
The manual clearly states - keep the engine above 1250 rpm in all gears
fry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 16:43   #90
BHPian

Hello arunphilip,

Excellent write-up with the clear details mentioned all the time. Big thanks to you.

I'm in market for a new car, and Ecosport is in the list. Not sure, if it has to be an Ecoboost one. But after reading your write-up, I guess my concern areas like city driveability & mileage are cleared now.

What remains doubtful in mind is its, drivability in the ghat roads and body balance while taking hair pin curves. This area is pretty important to me as I've to travel once in a month to native crossing such roads. Could you please share some more light on it?

Also, which dealer you recommend from Bangalore?

Happy driving!
redbaron91 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks