Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2013, 11:53   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamnos View Post

But I doubt the vehicle will be accepted at 8L in most Rural places, the vehicle is having a tough time at Metro cities itself, so it might be a dicey call launching in Rural India.
That's what I mentioned in the last few lines that cost seemed high . They should try to reduce the price to be at par with wagonr atleast to take advantage of the savings of the cost per km and the government should provide subsidies to promote e- cars. I have the Yo ebike showroom opposite to my house and its doing decent numbers on sales.
Old 22nd March 2014, 10:46   #137

Re: My Mahindra e2o 'EVA' - The beginning of a paradigm shift

Hey Kamyfc,

Thanks for your wonderful thread and blogposts elsewhere, which made my decision to by E2O final. I had been eyeing for an electric vehicle for quite some time. I had seen a few in the USA (Tesla was not born then). Reva, though looked promising, could not win my heart over due to its toy car look. So, when the E2O was launched, I was quite excited, but wasn't sure how the car would be.

After my dearest Fiat Petra met with an accident, I had to look for a new car. I had already made up my mind that my new car has to run on an alternative fuel (CNG to be specific). E2O first sounded too pricey for me. But their latest scheme of renting a battery attracted me. This brought down an upfront cost and also somewhere it gave me relief that Mahindra would look after the battery for next 5 years as they promised (I hope Mahidra lives up to the promise). But still, I needed some reviews. As always, Team BHP came to my rescue. I read the official review and Kamyfc, your review and finally booked my E2O.

I too live in Pune and they say there are about 23 E2Os in Pune. My daily commute would be roughly 30KM (round trip). I am now looking forward to the arrival of my Red E2O.

Will keep you guys posted.
car4me is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 15:17   #138
Senior - BHPian

This car is so rare to spot in Pune. I have seen only one E2O so far on the road in Pune which had temp. registration.

Please share your ownership thread with pricing details.
Old 1st June 2014, 08:42   #139
BHPian

Ok guys here is an update, after a long time - after using this amazing car for 10 months.

6000 km - Rs 3000 'fuel' charges - Rs 0 maintenance - Tons of joy driving in the city and outside - Huge efficiency benefits as compared to a Petrol Engine and thus much more greener car - 600 liters of Petrol saved - Lots of smiles.

My Mahindra e2o 'EVA' - The beginning of a paradigm shift-img_0460.jpg
kamyfc is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 12:20   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamyfc View Post
Ok guys here is an update, after a long time - after using this amazing car for 10 months.

6000 km - Rs 3000 'fuel' charges - Rs 0 maintenance - Tons of joy driving in the city and outside - Huge efficiency benefits as compared to a Petrol Engine and thus much more greener car - 600 liters of Petrol saved - Lots of smiles.

Attachment 1245860
Congratulations on the purchase! and wish you a great ownership experience for years to come.

I came across this thread just today and it probably caught my eye due to all the reading and viewing I have done on the web in the past few weeks about Tesla Motors

Most of my driving is in the city and its about 40-50km a day, an electric car would do just fine for that. Personally, there is only one reason I wouldn't purchase a E2O - the way it looks.

While Mahindra has done a great job of providing all those features that you have enlisted in this thread, adding to the joy of ownership, I feel the looks could have been better.

Question is, is it tough to make a car which is cool and looks cool! I was telling my friend the other day that I would buy a Mahindra Reva electric car for more than what it sells for now - if only it looked good. Frankly I wouldn't mind paying upto 10L. Can Mahindra take a leaf out of Tesla's book?
DDIS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 13:43   #141
Senior - BHPian

6000 kms completed after the paradigm shift! Nice to read that update. Nice to read that update and also that you have saved the planet a whole lot! The E20 is indeed a rare car on the streets, but I like it very much. I might get one for my wife, her daily commute is around 14kms (7 each) to office and back, so I think this car makes a perfect sense for both of us!
Old 2nd June 2014, 17:23   #142
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see an update to this thread. 6000 kms is quite a good number of mileage. You mentioned using it outside the city, how do you manage the charging? Or is it a round trip of approximately 80 kms going by the DTE number on the image.
Old 14th July 2014, 15:06   #143
BANNED

Quote:

Congrats on your ride and being responsible enough to make this decision thereby contributing to save Oil resources bro!!

10 months is a great time and your posts reflect the amount of enthusiasm that you have in owning a technology revolution.

If i'm not wrong the E20 comes with ABS body panels and are they painted or the molded panels bear the colored ABS? How do they live up in these 10 months of serving.
Old 16th July 2014, 23:46   #144
BHPian

Great ownership experience and a valuable thread.

EV's should get more adoption in urban cities, with Car Renting taking off. This will hopefully put to ease consumers fears about not having a mode of transport when traveling long distances.

Improving EV infrastructure will also help in accelerated adoption, but early enthusiasts like yourself demonstrate that it is convenient, comfortable and enjoyable to be an electric car owner.

Do keep this thread updated!
Old 27th July 2014, 12:16   #145
BHPian

Geat review on the e2o,

I had the pleasure to test drive the car over a year ago in Mumbai.

The AC was really powerful
Car was extremely silent
Car pulled up the building ramp easily (great torque with the electric motor)
Electronics & Onboard systems top notch
Sctarch resistant body

Not so nice:-
Due to absence of power steering, turning the car at crawling speed or standstill required effort

My neighbour and I were contemplating purchase of the e2o, however, since we live in a high rise in Mumbai we had issues about charging points in the building. We would have had to get separate wiring from our electrical meters to the garage to charge the car. Being on 15th floor, this involved a lot of additional wiring.

With the proposed Govt. subsidies & power steering, this will be a rather attractive town car if Mahindra can price it under 6 Lakhs.
rpunwani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 01:16   #146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
3 things that might be helpful to you / other readers:
  • The e2o will be coming with power steering soon : link
  • Apparently Mahindra will take care of the wiring for you (at no extra cost?).
  • Moderator Moralfibre had once mentioned some "Environment friendly" scheme launched by the government wherein having a battery charging station for electric vehicles gives builders some tax benefit. Given that you live in a 15+ storey building, maybe there are already some plug points around? ( See page 29).

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 10:39   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I was more than ready to give my money to Mahindra REVA as i saw innovation and revolution here, which i could not find elsewhere.
So it was very decision for me.

Driven in rain a lot. Very cozy and comfy inside
I found no issues with rain driving.

Power steering is only an issue while parking - i really need to sweat it out! But while driving, i dont feel the need for it.

I dont find any shortcomings so far, everything including the range estimation is working brilliantly.
But the true test for this is after 1 or 2 years. How will the battery's chemistry work after 25,000 km of driving? Will we see reduced range in hot weather? etc.
Dear Kamyfc,

First thank you for your well written and detailed note on your EVA experience. Could you help me with a few questions from your own experience of driving EVA. --
(1) What is the suspension ride quality. How soft or hard is the ride especially for the 2 seated in front
(2) Now that you have lived through a summer in Pune (mild and lovely compared to NCR) what has been your experience with battery charging or giving trouble due to the heat.
(3) How long does it take to charge up say 50% through a 15 amp 220 volt plug in. I am keen to eventually over 2 years move to all my cars being electric or hybrid and have installed the sockets and meter at my basement parking slots. So as you can see I am dead serious.

Thanks in advance for your inputs

- Narayan

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th August 2014 at 15:46. Reason: Adding some line breaks for readability. Please do the same in future.
Old 17th August 2014, 14:05   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Dear Kamyfc, first thank you for your well written and detailed note on your EVA experience. Could you help me with a few questions from your own experience of driving EVA. -- (1) What is the suspension ride quality. How soft or hard is the ride especially for the 2 seated in front (2) Now that you have lived through a summer in Pune (mild and lovely compared to NCR) what has been your experience with battery charging or giving trouble due to the heat. (3) How long does it take to charge up say 50% through a 15 amp 220 volt plug in. I am keen to eventually over 2 years move to all my cars being electric or hybrid and have installed the sockets and meter at my basement parking slots. So as you can see I am dead serious. Thanks in advance for your inputs - Narayan
Hi V.Narayan,

I'm glad you found this useful.
I shall gladly answer all your queries.

I have completed 1 year just last week. The numbers are very impressive
1 year - 8000 km driven - Electricity Costs Rs 3900 - Maintenance Rs 0
More than 700 Liters of OIL saved for my country - Tons of CO2 not emitted in my city.

a) Ride Quality is Good. The e2o has Mcpherson Struts suspension which ensure you wont feel a thing when u encounter small potholes etc.
I found the suspension to be on par with with the Beat or i10.
Also on concrete roads u do feel the road harness. But on good Tar roads, its like Makkhan

b) Summer is a test for the Lithium Ion Battery Chemistry. We are lucky to have just 2 and half months of 35+ degree heat. From Mid June its been beautiful mid 20s here
Those 2 and half months is where i had to take maximum care.
1) Not accelerate too quickly, do it gradually in hot conditions.
2) It is also recommended to Use the Mobile Phone app to Pre-Cool the CAR when plugged into the mains. This will ensure the AC wont strain the battery pack when going out in the heat.
3) Charge the car from Midnight to early morning
4) Dont charge the car immediately after using it.

Here is a nice article on how to take care of your battery pack in HOT summers

c) From 50% to 100% - it takes around 2 and half hours.

Am glad you are going electric now. Its the future and you can do it now.

By the way i see that you are from the NCR.
You can check out this guy - Mr Ranjan Ray who has covered 10000 kms in 3 months using the e2o. Broken all sorts of records
Check out his blog here. Maybe u can contact and discuss with him, he will gladly help you.
kamyfc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 14:40   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
Geat review on the e2o,

I had the pleasure to test drive the car over a year ago in Mumbai.

The AC was really powerful
Car was extremely silent
Car pulled up the building ramp easily (great torque with the electric motor)
Electronics & Onboard systems top notch
Sctarch resistant body

Due to absence of power steering, turning the car at crawling speed or standstill required effort

My neighbour and I were contemplating purchase of the e2o, however, since we live in a high rise in Mumbai we had issues about charging points in the building. We would have had to get separate wiring from our electrical meters to the garage to charge the car. Being on 15th floor, this involved a lot of additional wiring.

With the proposed Govt. subsidies & power steering, this will be a rather attractive town car if Mahindra can price it under 6 Lakhs.
Hi rpunwani,

Living in an apartment should not deter you against buying this car.
There is some fundamental groundwork that electric vehicle owners need to do, if they want to setup a charging station in a multi-unit dwelling.
Its important to speak to the management of the apartment and inform them that you have an EV and would like to install a charging point. Its also good to make it clear to them that the socket would be connected to your meter.
Once you have the permission, you will need to catch hold of an electrician and look at how the task can be accomplished. In some cases, it would be straightforward. In some cases (especially if the slot is uncovered and far from the meter room), it would take some time.
So installing a charging 15Amp socket near your parking slot is not a problem at all.

I hope you can rethink this
kamyfc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 14:59   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

a) Ride Quality is Good. The e2o has Mcpherson Struts suspension which ensure you wont feel a thing when u encounter small potholes etc.
I found the suspension to be on par with with the Beat or i10.

b) Summer is a test for the Lithium Ion Battery Chemistry.....
2) It is also recommended to Use the Mobile Phone app to Pre-Cool the CAR when plugged into the mains. This will ensure the AC wont strain the battery pack when going out in the heat.
3) Charge the car from Midnight to early morning
4) Don't charge the car immediately after using it.

Here is a nice article on how to take care of your battery pack in HOT summers

c) From 50% to 100% - it takes around 2 and half hours.
Dear Kamfc, I can see that you are a courteous person with an eye for detail. Thank you for the valuable information on the battery charging techniques, the blog site and your view of the suspension and ride. I will share my feedback with you after I do a test drive. We have 4 cars in my joint family, of which I am the senior most male member (though not always the boss!!) and eventually I want to see an all electric/hybrid garage for us. For some years my wife & I have struggled with buying or not buying one of those big German Rs 70 lakh cars mainly for their snob value. We finally hit on going electric -- great differentiation (inverted snobbery) and its green. We are going in for a steel-brown metallic colour Camry Hybrid end of this year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks