Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2013, 14:54   #106
BHPian

Re: My Mahindra e2o 'EVA' - The beginning of a paradigm shift

Hi Kamyfc,

Rated your thread 5 stars! Congrats on your Ecar!
I loved reading your review, also enjoyed watching your drive to Lavasa in the video :-)

I must say that I am pretty impressed with the car. Honestly, in the past I have dismissed this car thinking I would never buy this car for the insane amt they are quoting.

As a 2nd car in the family, I would definitely consider this car in future. I just hope they make the next one with 4 doors and proper 4 seater.
Old 17th September 2013, 18:16   #107
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ownership review - Mahindra Reva e2o

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamyfc View Post
Attachment 1135570
EVA getting charged in the basement of my apartment
Is that plug point metered to you or is it public?

Do you have the leave the hatch door open when charging?
Old 17th September 2013, 19:23   #108
BHPian

Wonderful review, i have been planning to buy this car the moment i laid my eyes on it but will resist my temptation till mid next year and hopefully by then Govt would have started subsidizing this car.

Wish you a many happy million green miles
Old 17th September 2013, 22:55   #109
BHPian

Re: Ownership review - Mahindra Reva e2o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Is that plug point metered to you or is it public?

One charging unit will be installed for the customer and there are few in public places as well.

The hatch can be closed during charging.
Old 19th September 2013, 11:00   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
But I wonder why the acceleration figure for E20 is not impressive. It takes 15+ seconds to reach 60 kmph and by then most hatch backs would be doing 100+ kmph.
Hi Guna,

I dont think so it takes 15+ seconds to 60, the company claims 0-40 in 5.5 secs and to 60 its around 8.x secs, the vehicle is pretty quick in boost mode.
Old 19th September 2013, 16:07   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nope :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
But I wonder why the acceleration figure for E20 is not impressive. It takes 15+ seconds to reach 60 kmph and by then most hatch backs would be doing 100+ kmph.
The fact is that in the city we are rarely accelerating up to 100. The e2o is quite quick off the mark, and it can go "flat out" without a fuss, whereas a normal car would be making quite a scene if it went flat-out off the line. Thats the difference, and thats why it feels quick in reality, but not on paper.

For more details, do read the "Acceleration & Drivability" section in e2o the official review: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3089692

There is a video in that thread as well. It includes a 0-80 run, with a side by site F-mode & Boost-mode comparo (last 30 seconds of the video).

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th September 2013 at 13:06.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 18:33   #112
Senior - BHPian

Thanks!
That gray flap is open though?

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th September 2013 at 13:09. Reason: Splitting towing discussion to official thread
Old 19th September 2013, 19:00   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That gray flap is open though?
Nope, its shut.

There is a small cut-out right below the e2o badging that allows the cable to pass through even though the boot door is completely shut.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 20:18   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
Certainly a paradigm shift, an eye opener for many of us!

A well written review. Thanks.

If the energy storage (aka battery) technology improves further, making them charge faster and last longer, this class of cars would really get a boost. For that "re-fueling" infrastructure would need to build as well. As of now you have to get the car back home to recharge.

If you are living in an apartment, you might have another headache: protecting your electric outlet from misuse or electricity theft - depending on your locality and security arrangements etc. Have you taken any precautions for the same?
Hi Mayuresh,

Mahindra Reva is working on technology which would let you charge your batteries faster, and also talking about "re-fuelling" infrastructure they have set up around 260 charging stations across 10 cities in India, Bangalore & Delhi have almost 100 each, other cities are being developed.

The charging unit has an adapter which can only be plugged into e2o, so be rest assured that your electricity will not be misused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayofLife View Post
Have you asked about the cost of replacing the batteries? My understanding is that these need replacement every two to three years, and that is the time where owning this car would become expensive.
The batteries get an extended warranty of 5 yrs/80,000 kms, so no worries till then, even after that there is no compulsion for you to change batteries.

The concept is similar to your cellphone batteries, generally you get 6 months warranty on the batteries but you still tend to use it from more than a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
In fact, I am from the group who believes that the production and running of the EV's is more damaging to the enviornment.
Mahindra e2o is manufactured in India's greenest Automotive unit, its the only one which has a Platinum rating from IGBC

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd September 2013 at 21:46. Reason: Posts merged. As mentioned earlier, see the Announcement section thread on "How to MULTI QUOTE". Thanks.
Old 25th September 2013, 01:12   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamnos View Post

The batteries get an extended warranty of 5 yrs/80,000 kms, so no worries till then, even after that there is no compulsion for you to change batteries.

The concept is similar to your cellphone batteries, generally you get 6 months warranty on the batteries but you still tend to use it from more than a year.
Lithium Ion batteries have a charge cycle. X number of charge cycles after which their capacity goes on decreasing and this case effectively the range which is paramount in case of electric cars.

So yes, the car can run 100 km in the first 1 or 2 years with the numerous charge cycles, but that will change soon as the constant charge recharge cycle happens and slowly but steadily they will lose their charge retaining capacity.
Old 25th September 2013, 11:18   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Lithium Ion batteries have a charge cycle. X number of charge cycles after which their capacity goes on decreasing and this case effectively the range which is paramount in case of electric cars.

So yes, the car can run 100 km in the first 1 or 2 years with the numerous charge cycles, but that will change soon as the constant charge recharge cycle happens and slowly but steadily they will lose their charge retaining capacity.
Yes the Lithium Ion batteries are also dependent on Charging cycles, the batteries are assured 100 kms for about 600 full charge cycles and not 1-2 years.

Even after the 600 cycles the range will not drop soon, these are deep discharge batteries and will last much longer than laptop batteries, the rate of battery depreciation can be counted as 8-10% per year after the 600 cycles, the depreciation might be even lesser if you could use the batteries as prescribed.
slamnos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 11:08   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes the Lithium Ion batteries are also dependent on Charging cycles, the batteries are assured 100 kms for about 600 full charge cycles and not 1-2 years.

Even after the 600 cycles the range will not drop soon, these are deep discharge batteries and will last much longer than laptop batteries, the rate of battery depreciation can be counted as 8-10% per year after the 600 cycles, the depreciation might be even lesser if you could use the batteries as prescribed.
Well 600 cycles is around 2 to 3 years. Mahindra gives a 3 year/60000 km warranty on the battery. After spending 8 to 9 lakhs on this puny little thing, I have to live in fear of changing the high costing batteries which cost around 2 lakhs and last 5 years. Best of luck at selling this.
Old 29th October 2013, 13:45   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Mahindra gives a 3 year/60000 km warranty on the battery. After spending 8 to 9 lakhs on this puny little thing, I have to live in fear of changing the high costing batteries which cost around 2 lakhs and last 5 years. Best of luck at selling this.
The warranty on the battery now is 5 Years/80000 Kms. And the cost of the batteries is not 2 Lakhs, even after the warranty period of 5 years there is no compulsion for changing the batteries, only your range might reduce.
Old 29th October 2013, 13:57   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The warranty on the battery now is 5 Years/80000 Kms. And the cost of the batteries is not 2 Lakhs, even after the warranty period of 5 years there is no compulsion for changing the batteries, only your range might reduce.
Well How much is it then ? And Online it says 1.5 lakhs to 2 lakhs is the cost of E20's battery. Could not find any source of 5 year or 80000 km warranty increase? Cannot find it online.

And Isn't the range reduction a worry ?
Old 29th October 2013, 14:35   #120
BHPian

Congrats Kamyfc, Different choice indeed but in the end if that makes you happy who am I to complain.

Nonetheless, environment friendly or not, I don't think charging it every alternate day or so is any less cumbersome than going to the bunk to get petrol / diesel once in 15 - 20 days. This is especially true for urban dwellers who drive 200km a week. Heck, what if I get late from work I'll need to remind myself to charge at an unearthly hour just so that I can drive it tom.

I think the practical implementation is still time away before it becomes a mass choice.

Good luck with your car nonetheless.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks