Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2014, 17:27   #1066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Hi,

Anybody else facing the issue with the external ORVMs?? They make a simply irritating noise in folding mechanism. Dealer tried spraying synthetic grease in to it, the LHS has stopped making noise but the RHS is still making noise. More over, they didn't even care to cover the body before spraying grease! Imagine the comdition of the driver side door. 😡
I faced similar issue but after service centre guys sprayed some lubricant it is gone.
In your case by any chance is water entering the mechanism when you wash or drive in rain.
Old 19th July 2014, 20:36   #1067
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Hi,

Anybody else facing the issue with the external ORVMs??
I complained about it for the 7500 km checkup. They said it's the sound of the motor!

Now that the monsoon is here in Kerala, the noise has reduced considerably. It's hardly noticeable now. Maybe all it needs is a good soak.
Old 22nd July 2014, 10:23   #1068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Skoda India to launch the Octavia vRS in August according to Motorbeam. To be priced below Rs 25 lakhs!

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/skoda-...n-august-2014/
www.motoroids.com have an update on this which reads

Quote:
Update: Skoda India have officially updated Motoroids India, denying the possibility of the launch of the vRS in India in foreseeable future.
sunny310c is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 13:30   #1069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
I complained about it for the 7500 km checkup. They said it's the sound of the motor!

Now that the monsoon is here in Kerala, the noise has reduced considerably. It's hardly noticeable now. Maybe all it needs is a good soak.

Well the sound is present in my car too. And even the rains haven't helped quieten it.
Plan on getting it checked again though they just apply some spray and it returns in a day or two.
Have gone to them twice already about it. Since it's present in a lot of cars maybe it's a technical fault and skoda should do something about it!!
Old 24th July 2014, 19:42   #1070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
Well the sound is present in my car too. And even the rains haven't helped quieten it.
Plan on getting it checked again though they just apply some spray and it returns in a day or two.
Have gone to them twice already about it. Since it's present in a lot of cars maybe it's a technical fault and skoda should do something about it!!

Asked Dealer again today, what happened about the video they had recorded and sent to Skoda HQ. No proper response, and said he'll come back to me after one more week. Great in'it? Lets not take this lightly.. I'll suggest all of you give my example to your respective Skoda dealerships and get them to record a video and send it to the company. Collective complaints will work.

Also feel free to go and check on their test drive cars too, thats how I was sure that I am not alone, all their three TD cars had the same noise.

The lubricant is a hopeless solution, which works only for 4-5 days. The noise is now back on the LHS orvm also. Now I keep them in the always open setting, so that I dont start my day with a 'kut kut kut kut kut' and end it that way too!!
Old 27th July 2014, 21:44   #1071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
So it's been 4 months and ideally, I should have got my car by now, or at least heard from the dealership. But we don't live in an ideal world, do we?

I spoke to the sales guy and he initially sounded very optimistic about the car being delivered in a few days as it had been 4 months. He even went to the extent of saying that his manager had spoken to Skoda's regional head of sales for South India who said the car would be available in the next 2 weeks. I don't know if that is true or if a regional head would even bother to track every customer's booking but that was what I was told.

Anyway, a couple of days back I called to ask on an update on the situation and if the car was close to allotment and I was told that the same regional head of sales is now saying that he cannot guarantee when a petrol Elegance will be available, without giving any further reasons. I was told that a black Diesel Elegance that was booked by another customer can be made available to me in a few days time if I chose to take a diesel instead of a petrol. I refused that as I want to stick with my decision of a petrol but the thing now is, no one at the dealer or Skoda apparently knows when I can expect a petrol Elegance. In other words, it's an indefinite wait.

Am not sure what should I do now? Is there anyone in the Skoda hierarchy that I can get in touch with to get some facts on the matter because I definitely want the car and don't mind waiting a little longer but then I am certainly not waiting indefinitely. Would appreciate it if someone here can help me with an email id or a phone number of someone in Skoda that I could get in touch with to get some information on the situation.

So now with rumours afloat about the vRS being launched in August, the devil inside me is thinking should I push my budget further and try and get a vRS instead. I might be able to get the car soon if I am the first to book it or is that just wishful thinking on my part? This is of course assuming that the car is actually being launched in August. I don't know, am just very frustrated and confused about what to do now.
So the update on my booking is that it's going to take at least another 1 1/2 months, meaning, I shouldn't expect the car before the end of August. However, the way things have been, I think the more realistic date of delivery would be probably mid September, making it an even 6 months of waiting. Now that's a heck of a long time, given that it took me 3 years+ to make a buying decision. My wife is fed up and wants me to think of alternative cause the responses the showroom guys have been giving are not confidence inspiring at all. I understand that they can't do much about the situation but my wife is like "How can they sell a product when they don't even know when they can make it available to the customer? What about the interest on the booking amount?".

Anyway, with all this waiting, my mind is wandering and making me doubt my decision. Maybe this delay is a sign for me to think of an alternative, maybe I am being given a chance to do the right thing and put my money on a more reliable car instead of taking a gamble on a Skoda, maybe I should pick the diesel instead of the petrol even though my running doesn't justify the diesel, maybe I should pick a different colour as black would be hard to maintain, should I even spend so much on a car considering I just bought a house? As you can imagine, I am kinda at my wits end here. I still want the car and I hope the car is worth the wait but all this waiting is just not helping.
Old 27th July 2014, 22:26   #1072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyway my mind is wandering and making me doubt my decision. Maybe this delay is a sign for me to think of an alternative, maybe I should pick the diesel instead of the petrol even though my running doesn't justify the diesel
My 2 cents: I'd hold on to that booking if I were you. You've waited about 4 months so far, what's another 2 months? If you wanted to bail on the Octavia, you would have done so months ago. That alone tells me your heart/mind is set on the car, and that should be enough to keep you on a date with an Octavia.

Besides, since your running doesn't justify a diesel, where are the alternatives? The Jetta and Elantra are poor choices in petrol, the Corolla is practical but inspiring compared to the Octavia, which leaves the Fluence petrol really. Not sure you've considered/want to consider that. There really is no alternative to the 1.8 TSI unless you switch to either of its VAG diesels, which you seem to be wary of doing.

I'd stay the course if I were you, you're actually closer to getting the car than farther from it. You could go for the 2.0 diesel elegance and still be happy with your choice. It's more reliable and practical, but not as explosive as the 1.8 TSI. Perhaps the diesel is worth a dekko?
Old 27th July 2014, 22:41   #1073
BHPian

Quote:
So the update on my booking is that it's going to take at least another 1 1/2 months, meaning, I shouldn't expect the car before the end of August. However, the way things have been, I think the more realistic date of delivery would be probably mid September, making it an even 6 months of waiting.
Anyway, with all this waiting, my mind is wandering and making me doubt my decision.
I know the long wait is frustrating! I cannot imagine myself being so patient to get my car. But its worth the wait when you finally get your much awaited ride. Black and a TSI is perfect since you had mentioned you have only so much travelling to do. Black demands a more frequent wash. But there is no better shade than black if you can take the extra effort to maintain it.
Old 27th July 2014, 23:25   #1074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So the update on my booking is that it's going to take at least another 1 1/2 months, meaning, I shouldn't expect the car before the end of August. However, the way things have been, I think the more realistic date of delivery would be probably mid September, making it an even 6 months of waiting. Now that's a heck of a long time, given that it took me 3 years+ to make a buying decision. My wife is fed up and wants me to think of alternative cause the responses the showroom guys have been giving are not confidence inspiring at all. I understand that they can't do much about the situation but my wife is like "How can they sell a product when they don't even know when they can make it available to the customer? What about the interest on the booking amount?".

Anyway, with all this waiting, my mind is wandering and making me doubt my decision. Maybe this delay is a sign for me to think of an alternative, maybe I am being given a chance to do the right thing and put my money on a more reliable car instead of taking a gamble on a Skoda, maybe I should pick the diesel instead of the petrol even though my running doesn't justify the diesel, maybe I should pick a different colour as black would be hard to maintain, should I even spend so much on a car considering I just bought a house? As you can imagine, I am kinda at my wits end here. I still want the car and I hope the car is worth the wait but all this waiting is just not helping.
My 2 cents go for the diesel even if your drive isn't that much. In 2 years the TSi will depreciate from 20 lakhs to 6-10 lakhs depending on region (cars depreciate more in North). The diesel on the other hand would sell for around 12-15 lakhs. Bbuying a Skoda is a risk somewhat, you can minimise it by going with diesel. You get 90% of the fun, better economy and cover the depreciation much much better.
Old 27th July 2014, 23:41   #1075
BHPian

Depreciation is more for petrol versions is a true thing.
I guess its just practicality vs passion or head vs heart thing, deciding between the TDI and TSI.
If practicality takes the upper hand, TDI it is.
If passion kicks in, say whatever.. you will stick to what you decided for yourself, be it TDI or TSI, which ever you longed for when you had done the initial comparison and choice!
Old 28th July 2014, 01:54   #1076
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe if you can stretch your budget a little you can get the soon to be launched Audi A3 40TSi, you will get the same engine in a better package without worrying about Skoda service. I believe bookings have started for the launch edition.
Old 28th July 2014, 09:17   #1077
Senior - BHPian

I think I remember reading that bookings are on for the A3 with an initial booking amount of ₹3.5 lakhs. If you ignore the rear space disadvantage, the A3 is a superb option, question is only if you feel the stretch is worth it.
Old 28th July 2014, 14:49   #1078
Senior - BHPian

I have personally encountered friends who encourage the "heart" quotient in the "head" vs "heart" debate & then these very friends go with "head" when it comes to their own choices. Its very easy to advise others "you only live once" "go for it" "just do it" when its not your own money thats on the line.

Those buying Skoda buy it caz they love cars. Whether its diesel or petrol. However there is a distinct difference between the type of buyer. If you have oodles of money, and 12-14 lakh rupees depreciation is nothing for you in 2-3 years. Then go ahead with the Petrol TSi. But if you value money but still want to have "fun" and can afford 6-8 lakhs of depreciation in 2-3 years then go for Diesel. You will be a lot happier when you sell it. I see TSi's (Laura's) in Delhi barely 2 years old selling for 6-8 lakhs.

Between the diesel & the petrol trust me, I have driven both on NH8 and I found the low torque on petrol was felt. I mean the diesel was lot more eager (perception wise) & petrol a lot more smoother. I kind of like the torque as having more torque is more practical in our driving conditions where you can seldom redline. Plus diesel will give you more mileage.

Having said that, if you are in category 1, with big business and can easily afford a Skoda without stretch, then go for it man.... after all "you only live once"
aseem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 15:13   #1079
BHPian

I hope the genuine buyer here doesn't get confused reading this TDI vs TSI debate. People will have different opinions even after you buy the car, whatever make or model it may be. Can't help it.
Lot of them share their true experience (which are good pointers) while many more do just brand bashing (utter waste of time and should be ignored completely).
Enjoy your ride whatever you buy finally. Its worth it no matter what, when you buy what YOU want.
Happy revving!
Old 28th July 2014, 20:55   #1080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
My 2 cents: I'd hold on to that booking if I were you. You've waited about 4 months so far, what's another 2 months? If you wanted to bail on the Octavia, you would have done so months ago. That alone tells me your heart/mind is set on the car, and that should be enough to keep you on a date with an Octavia.

Besides, since your running doesn't justify a diesel, where are the alternatives? The Jetta and Elantra are poor choices in petrol, the Corolla is practical but inspiring compared to the Octavia, which leaves the Fluence petrol really. Not sure you've considered/want to consider that. There really is no alternative to the 1.8 TSI unless you switch to either of its VAG diesels, which you seem to be wary of doing.

I'd stay the course if I were you, you're actually closer to getting the car than farther from it. You could go for the 2.0 diesel elegance and still be happy with your choice. It's more reliable and practical, but not as explosive as the 1.8 TSI. Perhaps the diesel is worth a dekko?
The fact that there isn't another car in the same price bracket that is offering quite as much in terms of performance, features, refinement and driving dynamics leaves me with little choice but to wait it out. And like you said, I have waited all this while, what is another month and a half. I just don't want to see another blank look on the sales guy's face when I go to enquire about my car 45 days from now. As for the heart, it is set on the car, without even having driven it. As for the other cars I have considered, the Cruze was my first choice but the car is now showing its age and feels more than a generation old in comparison to the other cars in this segment. I considered the Elantra as well but apart from the long list of features, I didn't really like anything about it. As for the petrol Vs diesel debate, my running definitely doesn't justify a diesel. Am talking about a running of less than 10 Kms a day, with a few longish drives on the weekends (not every weekend though). Am mainly buying it for highway runs (1500 - 2000 KMs once in 3 or 4 months). However, reading some of the responses on here, I am now confused. I didn't consider the resale value of the car as a factor when I made my decision because I figured I was going to keep the car for at least 5 - 6 years, if not more. But am now having second thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
I know the long wait is frustrating! I cannot imagine myself being so patient to get my car. But its worth the wait when you finally get your much awaited ride. Black and a TSI is perfect since you had mentioned you have only so much travelling to do. Black demands a more frequent wash. But there is no better shade than black if you can take the extra effort to maintain it.
Those are my thoughts exactly. Black might be hard to maintain but if you do maintain it well, there is nothing like a gleaming black car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
My 2 cents go for the diesel even if your drive isn't that much. In 2 years the TSi will depreciate from 20 lakhs to 6-10 lakhs depending on region (cars depreciate more in North). The diesel on the other hand would sell for around 12-15 lakhs. Bbuying a Skoda is a risk somewhat, you can minimise it by going with diesel. You get 90% of the fun, better economy and cover the depreciation much much better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
I have personally encountered friends who encourage the "heart" quotient in the "head" vs "heart" debate & then these very friends go with "head" when it comes to their own choices. Its very easy to advise others "you only live once" "go for it" "just do it" when its not your own money thats on the line.

Those buying Skoda buy it caz they love cars. Whether its diesel or petrol. However there is a distinct difference between the type of buyer. If you have oodles of money, and 12-14 lakh rupees depreciation is nothing for you in 2-3 years. Then go ahead with the Petrol TSi. But if you value money but still want to have "fun" and can afford 6-8 lakhs of depreciation in 2-3 years then go for Diesel. You will be a lot happier when you sell it. I see TSi's (Laura's) in Delhi barely 2 years old selling for 6-8 lakhs.

Between the diesel & the petrol trust me, I have driven both on NH8 and I found the low torque on petrol was felt. I mean the diesel was lot more eager (perception wise) & petrol a lot more smoother. I kind of like the torque as having more torque is more practical in our driving conditions where you can seldom redline. Plus diesel will give you more mileage.

Having said that, if you are in category 1, with big business and can easily afford a Skoda without stretch, then go for it man.... after all "you only live once"
I know it wasn't your intention but you sir, have managed to confuse me . I was damn sure about going with the petrol until I read your posts and while nothing you say is news to me, it's just the manner in which you have put it that has now shaken my resolve of sticking to the petrol. I am not a businessman looking to buy his next toy, I assure you. I am a regular salaried person who can afford a car in the 20 lakh bracket but if you tell me that the petrol will depreciate by more than 60% within 2 years , I will have to rethink. Hell, even the diesel depreciating by that much is too much. Having said that, I am not looking to sell the car for at least another 5 to 6 years. Who knows, if the car is still running good at that time, I might just decide to keep it for longer. In that scenario, should the resale value matter to me?

Quote:
Depreciation is more for petrol versions is a true thing.
I guess its just practicality vs passion or head vs heart thing, deciding between the TDI and TSI.
If practicality takes the upper hand, TDI it is.
If passion kicks in, say whatever.. you will stick to what you decided for yourself, be it TDI or TSI, which ever you longed for when you had done the initial comparison and choice!
I am more of a heart guy when it comes to things like this which is why I went for the TSi. But if the difference between the petrol and diesel isn't that perceivable like @aseem mentioned, then maybe I would consider the diesel. Sadly, I couldn't get a test drive of the petrol or the diesel as the showroom has no TD cars. They had a diesel TD car for a while but since I wasn't looking to buy a diesel back then, I never bothered to TD it and I can't get a TD now because that car was bought by someone who was desperate to buy the Octavia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Maybe if you can stretch your budget a little you can get the soon to be launched Audi A3 40TSi, you will get the same engine in a better package without worrying about Skoda service. I believe bookings have started for the launch edition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I think I remember reading that bookings are on for the A3 with an initial booking amount of ₹3.5 lakhs. If you ignore the rear space disadvantage, the A3 is a superb option, question is only if you feel the stretch is worth it.
I thought about this but we are talking about a 35% budget stretch here going by what I have been reading. The Audi A3 is expected to be launched at around 25 lakhs while the Octavia 1.8 TSi is 18.5 lakhs (in Hyderabad), both ex-showroom. That much of money is not a stretch but a whole new budget in my opinion, one that is beyond my reach right now. I could stretch a 2 - 4 lakhs at the most but am not sure if there is anything in that range that would be worth considering. Was hoping the vRS would be out soon and might fall in that range but that isn't on the cards any time soon.

Quote:
I hope the genuine buyer here doesn't get confused reading this TDI vs TSI debate. People will have different opinions even after you buy the car, whatever make or model it may be. Can't help it.
Lot of them share their true experience (which are good pointers) while many more do just brand bashing (utter waste of time and should be ignored completely).
Enjoy your ride whatever you buy finally. Its worth it no matter what, when you buy what YOU want.
Happy revving!
Too late for that, I am confused now LOL. But I appreciate all the comments and helpful suggestions from all of you. Thanks to all of you for offering your sincere opinions on this. I think I probably need to sleep over this and if I am still not sure, I will probably just stick with my original decision.

Most Viewed