Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2014, 15:09   #1051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
Today, I was trying out the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System but somehow, didn't understand how we use it. Does it only store the required tyre pressure and check it later in case of some problem or does it display all the details of tyres on the infotainment screen?
Here's how TPMS works:
When you fill air in the tires, you need to reset the system and it will store the new values. Now TPMS will not indicate pressure loss in range of 5-6 psi. It will only alert you when the tyre is losing air rapidly or the level is dangerously low. I think its still better so that the driver responsibility is not lessened in any way.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 21:17   #1052
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
Today, I was trying out the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System but somehow, didn't understand how we use it. Does it only store the required tyre pressure and check it later in case of some problem or does it display all the details of tyres on the infotainment screen?
What these cars have is not a proper TPMS, but more a tyre press loss warning. It uses the ABS speed sensors to check the rotation speed in each wheel. If the pressure in a wheel drops, the rotation speed will differ from the other wheels, hence the system will warn you about a pressure loss.

In proper TPMS, there is a sensor either on the valve or stuck onto the wheel, which monitors pressure constantly.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 23:04   #1053
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Here's how TPMS works:
When you fill air in the tires, you need to reset the system and it will store the new values.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
What these cars have is not a proper TPMS, but more a tyre press loss warning. It uses the ABS speed sensors to check the rotation speed in each wheel.
Here's how the Octavia's TPMS works...
Quote:
...the Octavia has a sensorless TPMS, where the rolling diameter of each wheel is measured and compared, to identify deflation. Obviously, this is prone to generating errors. A similar system is apparently in use in the VW Jetta, and Ouseph has faced this issue earlier on Autocar's long-term test vehicle. All we needed to do was reset the TPMS, and the error warning went away.
From http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3233964.
Old 16th July 2014, 22:36   #1054
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Skoda India to launch the Octavia vRS in August according to Motorbeam. To be priced below Rs 25 lakhs!

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/skoda-...n-august-2014/
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 17:21   #1055
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Anybody else facing the issue with the external ORVMs?? They make a simply irritating noise in folding mechanism. Dealer tried spraying synthetic grease in to it, the LHS has stopped making noise but the RHS is still making noise. More over, they didn't even care to cover the body before spraying grease! Imagine the comdition of the driver side door. 😡
Old 17th July 2014, 18:59   #1056
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Anybody else facing the issue with the external ORVMs??
Try WD40. Should sort out the issue.
Old 17th July 2014, 20:32   #1057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Try WD40. Should sort out the issue.
Hasn't worked. I am wondering why Synthetic grease worked in one mirror but not in the other.
Old 18th July 2014, 08:20   #1058
Senior - BHPian

There has been a 2% price increase for all Octavia models.
Old 18th July 2014, 10:46   #1059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
Okay people, have finally jumped on the bandwagon. Booked my 1.8 TSi Elegance Magic Black on Sunday. But am not all that excited to be very honest because I was told to not expect the car before mid July. In fact, the day I went to make the booking, a 1.8 TSi Ambition was being delivered and this car had been booked in November. When I enquired about the reason for the delay in delivery of the cars I was told that it was because of the unavailability of the bi-xenon headlight units. So I asked the sales guy about the lead time for the 1.4 TSi and he gave me a sheepish look and said it would still take 3 - 4 months. Anyway, the point is, it's going to be a very long wait but then I have been waiting looking for the right car for 3 years now so another 3 - 4 months shouldn't matter, as long as they stick to their word.

Here's hoping for the best. The wait begins.
So it's been 4 months and ideally, I should have got my car by now, or at least heard from the dealership. But we don't live in an ideal world, do we?

I spoke to the sales guy and he initially sounded very optimistic about the car being delivered in a few days as it had been 4 months. He even went to the extent of saying that his manager had spoken to Skoda's regional head of sales for South India who said the car would be available in the next 2 weeks. I don't know if that is true or if a regional head would even bother to track every customer's booking but that was what I was told.

Anyway, a couple of days back I called to ask on an update on the situation and if the car was close to allotment and I was told that the same regional head of sales is now saying that he cannot guarantee when a petrol Elegance will be available, without giving any further reasons. I was told that a black Diesel Elegance that was booked by another customer can be made available to me in a few days time if I chose to take a diesel instead of a petrol. I refused that as I want to stick with my decision of a petrol but the thing now is, no one at the dealer or Skoda apparently knows when I can expect a petrol Elegance. In other words, it's an indefinite wait.

Am not sure what should I do now? Is there anyone in the Skoda hierarchy that I can get in touch with to get some facts on the matter because I definitely want the car and don't mind waiting a little longer but then I am certainly not waiting indefinitely. Would appreciate it if someone here can help me with an email id or a phone number of someone in Skoda that I could get in touch with to get some information on the situation.

So now with rumours afloat about the vRS being launched in August, the devil inside me is thinking should I push my budget further and try and get a vRS instead. I might be able to get the car soon if I am the first to book it or is that just wishful thinking on my part? This is of course assuming that the car is actually being launched in August. I don't know, am just very frustrated and confused about what to do now.
sunny310c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 11:37   #1060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post

So now with rumours afloat about the vRS being launched in August, the devil inside me is thinking should I push my budget further and try and get a vRS instead. I might be able to get the car soon if I am the first to book it or is that just wishful thinking on my part? This is of course assuming that the car is actually being launched in August. I don't know, am just very frustrated and confused about what to do now.
I was going to suggest you the same thing. Although keep in mind a few things.
The VRS will be priced 25lakhs plus
Chances of a 2.0tsi engine being launched in India is very rare.

So if you are looking forward towards the 2.0tsi engine then you have faint chances but still you get an Octavia 1.8 tsi with a manual transmission.

But is it worth 25+lakhs ?
Old 18th July 2014, 18:34   #1061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
There has been a 2% price increase for all Octavia models.
What the hell! I am on booking period waiting for my car. I assume it will apply to all the cars that are on booking but not yet delivered.
Old 18th July 2014, 21:11   #1062
Senior - BHPian

If they launch the VRS with the 1.8 TSI 180 7-DSG combo, paddle shifts, with a stiff set up for the suspension, selectable driving modes, 7" screen HUD Columbus, a colour Maxidot(with lap timer-grins) that FANTASTIC all black sports interior, and after all this, all safety features and creature comforts the Elegance variant offers, original VRS colours, this will be THE BEST CAR ON SALE IN INDIA. Of course this side of 25 lakhs.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 21:19   #1063
Senior - BHPian

The 1.8 TSi engined Laura's 2 years old are selling for 6-7 lakhs in NCR. Really sad that not many who appreciate a drivers car. Diesel Laura's keep their resale intact.
Old 18th July 2014, 22:33   #1064
BHPian

Is there any visual difference ( badging or anything else) btw the petrol & diesel octavia?
Old 18th July 2014, 23:07   #1065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB16 View Post
Is there any visual difference ( badging or anything else) btw the petrol & diesel octavia?

Very much. The sleek boot lid spoiler (more of a lip actually) means its a 1.8 TSI in Elegance trim. One without the lip but with xenon headlamps is an Elegance TDI. All others like the 1.4 TSI and TDI Ambition models cant be differenciated physically from the exterior.
The Active variant though will sport separate pattern of alloys and no parking sensors at the rear or the front. Haven't really seen one since launch.

Most Viewed