Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2014, 20:00   #151
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano Twist XT : Driven

Hi Guys,

I bought a Royal Gold Nano twist over the weekend and am super excited. Here are my first thoughts after two days of drive:

Positives:

1) The seating is quite high. Higher than Eon (I own one), Alto (Own that as well). The space at the rear is brilliant.

2) It can be a five-seater. We managed quite comfortably with five people. It was not as tight at the back as we expected. Probably because none of them were on the heavier side.

3) The pickup is more than sufficient for city even with 5 people.

4) The music system is quite satisfactory. As good as any other car in the segment

Negatives:

1) Engine noise volume is terrible. I am not one of those who are bothered about the type of noise, so am Ok if it sounds like an autorickshaw outside. My crib is just about the volume. At higher RPMs, you can clearly hear it inside the cabin. It loses out badly to Eon and Alto in terms of engine noise.

I think Tata should introduce additional sound damping kit for people who are willing to pay extra.

2) Image: I know everybody speaks about this but you can actually see it in people's eyes. My neighbour's driver actually laughed when he saw me taking out the Nano. Most of my friends have been asking me on why i did not put in another 50K and buy a proper car.

Have not tried the AC yet so cannot comment on it.

I am looking out at after market solutions for sound damping in NCR area. Any ideas?
Sunnysm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2014, 20:08   #152
Senior - BHPian

Hey Congos! Heres to wishing it brings you great joy.

Engine noise will substantially reduce once the car is run-in, maybe consider waiting abit. IMO if it persists after 2500kms, then dampening may be required.

Nice to know you've got both its rivals in your garage! Waiting for the ownership thread for an interesting perspecitve!

Btw, did you buy the AMC?

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 18th February 2014 at 20:10.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2014, 20:17   #153
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysm View Post
Hi Guys,

I bought a Royal Gold Nano twist over the weekend and am super excited. Here are my first thoughts after two days of drive:

--Snip--

I am looking out at after market solutions for sound damping in NCR area. Any ideas?
Hey Sunnysm,
Thanks for your review and congrats for a first Nano Twist on T-BHP.
Can you tell what was the on-road price and also keep us updated if you find any solution for additional sound damping.

Wishing you a many happy miles

Regards,

JLS
Old 18th February 2014, 20:25   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Engine noise will substantially reduce once the car is run-in, maybe consider waiting abit. IMO if it persists after 2500kms, then dampening may be required. Btw, did you buy the AMC?
That's really good to know. Not bought the AMC yet but will do that sometime this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
Can you tell what was the on-road price and also keep us updated if you find any solution for additional sound damping.
The price was 2,38,000 + 4000 odd (logistics + temp registration) + insurance.

Got a total discount of 18,000. 15,000 Tata motors inaugural bonus + another 3k after some bargaining. They gave mudflaps and mats.

Am planning to get an underbody coating. People said it helps. Am checking what may be the best option. Will keep you posted.
Old 18th February 2014, 21:10   #155
BANNED

Quote:
That's really good to know. Not bought the AMC yet but will do that sometime this week.

The price was 2,38,000 + 4000 odd (logistics + temp registration) + insurance.

Got a total discount of 18,000. 15,000 Tata motors inaugural bonus + another 3k after some bargaining. They gave mudflaps and mats.

Am planning to get an underbody coating. People said it helps. Am checking what may be the best option. Will keep you posted.
The engine noise will reduce after the run-in period or about 2K kms on the clock. I have experienced a quieter engine after an oil change service. Dunno about scientific reasoning though.

The under body coating is a must in my opinion. Helps protect the underside from rust as we never get to see it and is never cleaned in normal use. Not expensive, should coat about Rs 2K, get it done at a TATA dealer, I recommend Concorde at Sarita Vihar / Mathura road. The AMC is very beneficial indeed, you MUST go in for it, at least the Silver AMC.

The nano is a 4 seater and I recommend you do not overload it.

CONGRATS on your choice and you will NOT regret it.
Old 18th February 2014, 22:55   #156
BHPian

I am hoping the noise goes down after 2K kms. Will get the AMC and underbody coating.

Already identified a problem. The first gear slips a lot. When I put it in the slot, it does not go completely in and comes back to neutral when you accelerate. Going to show it tommorrow.
Old 19th February 2014, 10:04   #157
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will get the under body coating.
AFAIK most of the cars do come with under body coating from factory itself. Iam 100% sure about this in respect of TATA. please check with sales man. In my case the sales man advised me against this while delivering my Indica Vista in Oct 2008. I decided not to do. Till to day there is no rust anywhere in the under body ( after 5.5 years) My car has traveled across 6 states and completed 82K
Old 19th February 2014, 11:56   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am hoping the noise goes down after 2K kms.
Does the noise trouble you with all the windows up too? My 2013 Nano is a little less noisy now, but not as silent as other cars, even with the AC on. One get used to it, and it isn't a bother, in fact the note is quite good inside, and tells you how the engine is doing.
PS: I am also not a fan of underbody coating, it can cause more harm than good if it traps moisture inside via places where it has broken down. Modern cars don't need it.

Last edited by Sawyer : 19th February 2014 at 11:58. Reason: PS
Old 19th February 2014, 12:16   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Does the noise trouble you with all the windows up too? My 2013 Nano is a little less noisy now, but not as silent as other cars, even with the AC on.
Yes, it does. That is the only big negative I can think of in otherwise what is a brilliant car. Even with windows up, you can hear the engine sound distinctly. Maybe, because I am comparing it with Alto and Eon.

Quote:
PS: I am also not a fan of underbody coating, it can cause more harm than good if it traps moisture inside via places where it has broken down. Modern cars don't need it.
It is not really for rust. It hardly rains in Delhi. It is basically for sound proofing. I am now thinking of thicker sound damping thermocol inside the cabin or maybe the thicker mats.
Old 20th February 2014, 11:38   #160

Congratulations Sunnysm! A great choice for city and occasional highway commute! May you have many miles and smiles in this lil wonder.

Hope i am not hijacking this thread - please bear with me.

I took delivery of the Damson Purple Nano Twist yesterday (19th Feb 2014). Shall be starting an ownership thread soon.

I agree on the noise levels but i actually do not care much about that since this car is for my wifey

But i noticed a strange thing once i got the car home. I was trying to set the time and i kept prodding on the 'Set' button in the instrument cluster. And Lo! The odometer, trip meter and AFE readings got reset. i repeat... the ODOMETER got reset!!!

It was earlier reflecting 110 and now it became 0!

Any NANO owners please comment if you have come across this peculiar function or 'defect' rather.

I called up the sales person and he was prompt to say that this was the first time they have come across this scenario.

Going by the pre-sales experience from Tata and from my past experience with owning two and four wheelers, i believe it is best to live with a small niggle than let them use their unskilled work force and make matters worse!

Looking forward to advise from the team in this forum!
jayeshgnath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 12:07   #161
Senior - BHPian

Well, Tata should have some workaround to reduce the engine noise like a sound damping kit which should also be heat resistant.
Please write to Tata on Facebook and through other official channels. I am sure with some customer feedback, they will come up with a solution (though at an extra cost).

The engine is dead silent at idle. It is only when the RPM goes up, there is an increase in the engine whine. Since the engine is placed behind, all the sound proofing should happen behind, and not in the under body.
The noodle pattern floor carpet might help a little bit, though I don't see that making much of a difference in this case. It should cost you about Rs. 1500 and some labour.
Old 20th February 2014, 15:06   #162
BHPian

Thanks, let me try writing to Tata motors to see if they have something for cabin sound reduction. Will keep the form posted.
Old 21st February 2014, 19:49   #163
BHPian

I was hoping Tata would have worked on the NVH on new 2014 Nano, i am really impressed by the dashboard and inclusion of the PS and music system. hope to hear from more folks on the NVH issues if any.
Old 21st February 2014, 20:13   #164
Senior - BHPian

I recently drove to Goa and back in my 2013 Nano. Given the price of the car, it is understandably less insulated from road sounds as cars in a higher price segment are. But neither my wife, nor I, both of who are above 50, were any more tired at the destination than from another recent drive to Goa in a Civic. I'd say that NVH isn't the issue to the extent people think. Yes, the engine is noisy from the outside, but that doesn't matter to me.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 00:19   #165
Senior - BHPian

Saw an XT driven besides me in traffic for quite some time in slow moving traffic. Was clearly amazed at the silent operations of the vehicle.

Not sure if anything has been done new with the XT in this department both on the exterior and interior noise reduction. Other than that loved the new purple color at close quarters.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks