Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2014, 15:31   #76
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano Twist XT : Driven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
What you won't:

• Struggles on steep inclines and stop-go hilly conditions with passengers onboard
I remember seeing Topgear Indian hill climb racing christmas special 2011 episode wherein they actually found a Tata Nano very good in that particular hill climb race. They have even remarked it as "one quick car" see the 1.37 frame in below video on youtube

However have to admit that the intention of that particular video was something else.
Other cars in comparison might not be the ones to which a modern 4 wheeler ought to be compared and there remark might have been in perspective of other vehicles that participated in that race.

Still makes for an interesting observation. Worth watching it once.

Ans yes that video has driver solo & does not have any passenger on board.

Last edited by madhu33 : 15th January 2014 at 15:32.
Old 15th January 2014, 15:33   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Running costs of Nano actually isn't an issue AT ALL.
Yes, I agree the running cost of Nano is pretty low even in petrol version. However I was just being too optimistic of diesel version expecting it to be just around the corner. Also my wife wasn't ready for a second car since we just made a huge commitment on land. Now having spent nearly 6-8K/month (in a year) on auto for office commute she has finally accepted my advise that owning a Nano would save her more than depending on Auto.

Quote:
After much discussion, I even told him that choosing Alto over Nano is fine, but he should look for better friends.
Well said, I say the same thing to my friends on their perception about image. At least in my view they are just sheeps following the crowd and not capable to think independently. They are more afraid of what others say. They did try their best to discourage me from buying my Xenon XT questioning my decision and complaining that I was buying it show off than practicality.
Pardus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 16:02   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
As long as the car battery is inside the cabin, i am not buying this. Power steering or not.
Oh and the fuel inlet is in the front along with the spare tyre. That's two more reasons for not buying it. And convenience be dammed when you have to unload the whole luggage from your car to reach the spare tyre while I do it without the extra effort. You may not even notice a Nano family changing the tyre.

But yeah! Who gave Tatas the right to change the places of these components? Even the engine has moved to the rear! Crazy isn't it?

On the services I have exhausted my free services so the next paid service will tell me if the service costs are at par with the industry. Routine service is once a year or at 10k whichever is earlier. Same as the majority.

Other well-engineered cars? Apart from the brand value or impression where do you see the Nano not well engineered? A six foot tall person can sit comfortably in the front or the back. Can an Alto provide the same headroom or legroom?

I switched to the Nano after driving a Santro for more than four years. And the Santro is one of the roomiest hatches. The first reaction when inside the Nano was it was as big as the Santro on the inside.

Last edited by honeybee : 15th January 2014 at 16:07.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 16:17   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Could you point me to the running costs for Nano, service intervals etc?
I have a 2010 Nano that my dad got me. It'd cost just 1.6L + 4k for 4 years silver AMC.
Only now have I started keeping regular record of mileage, fuel costs & other costs with this app called FuelLog. But before, whenever I checked, it'd consistently given 19-20 within Bangalore city. Even 21-22 if I drove with a light foot in city at late nights. Figures without A/c & with 2 pax.

Highways I've always got 25+ with consistent speeds ~90-100. When I did BLR-Tiruvanamalai it gave me 27+ with speeds ~80kmph. Couldn't believe it! Same was confirmed when I did BLR-Yercaud. Figures without A/c & with 4 pax + luggage.

Last fill up I got 16.5. Maybe due to driving with a heavy foot & dense traffic. Getting it checked soon.

Servicing : 1st one at 1000kms (just check-up & wash),
Next I went at 3k kms for the free ignition switch change + free service,
IIRC next i went at 5K (or 1 year Whichever Is Earlier),
Next was at 10k / 2yrs (WIE) but I missed that by ~20 days so the AMC expired! But then they let me renew it with 4K for another 4 years, and they serviced it.
Next was last year at 14k kms/3years (WIE). Thats when I had an issue when my SA was changed, also Warranty Period ended.
The AMC stays for 2 years ( @ 2 free services p.a.). Its now due for servicing.

Edit : Actual service intervals are at 1k kms, then every 10,000kms / every year (WIE).

Servicing costs have been near zilch thanks to AMC. I've always only been billed for basic consumables (just 70-80). It covers all fluids & filters and (2 services p.a.) - KHT did Wheel Alignment & Wheel balancing free for me - except for wheel weights which are charged @ Rs.2/gm. Warranty claim (once) was a breeze (Accelerator cable broke when I was in city limits - within 2hrs the KHT guys came & did the job - although it did take 2-3 calls).

They (I guess dealers) also sponsored Nano owners to WonderLa (a waterpark near Bangalore) in year 2 & Club Cabana last year. I couldn't go to either for personal reasons.

Quote:
What you won't:

• Struggles on steep inclines and stop-go hilly conditions with passengers onboard
Stop-go it may struggle abit, but its really quite ok as long as one can keep up the momentum.
It may be easier in other petrol cars, but I actually managed to climb up a hill station called Yercaud with 4 pax + luggage using only 2nd & mostly 3rd gear at the hairpin bends. Maybe the RWD setup plays a role providing good traction.

Quote:
As long as the car battery is inside the cabin, i am not buying this. Power steering or not.
Sorry, but THAT I would say is Obsessive & Compulsive. For ALL practical reasons - NOTHING WILL HAPPEN. You have a UPS for your home PC?

As GTO says, it does lack in some aspects, but IMO it definitly has MANY more important +ves than -ves.

Last edited by Samurai : 15th January 2014 at 18:09. Reason: typo
GrammarNazi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 16:20   #80
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Oh and the fuel inlet is in the front along with the spare tyre. That's two more reasons for not buying it. And convenience be dammed when you have to unload the whole luggage from your car to reach the spare tyre while I do it without the extra effort. You may not even notice a Nano family changing the tyre.

But yeah! Who gave Tatas the right to change the places of these components? Even the engine has moved to the rear! Crazy isn't it?

On the services I have exhausted my free services so the next paid service will tell me if the service costs are at par with the industry. Routine service is once a year or at 10k whichever is earlier. Same as the majority.

Other well-engineered cars? Apart from the brand value or impression where do you see the Nano not well engineered? A six foot tall person can sit comfortably in the front or the back. Can an Alto provide the same headroom or legroom?

I switched to the Nano after driving a Santro for more than four years. And the Santro is one of the roomiest hatches. The first reaction when inside the Nano was it was as big as the Santro on the inside.
My dear buddy, this debate shall keep going on and on till one buys the car and lives with it.

I have taken a fairly longish drive so I know the positives and you own one so you know the positives, the 'cheap car' image for me is gone the very moment I sat in it.

Till one does a TD sincerely they will never like the Nano may what come. No offence but lets stop proving what the Nano is to the world.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 16:40   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
I wonder if existing customers can get an upgrade to stick on the glove box.

Any comments from TBHP experts on if the older models can be "upgraded" to incorporate the power steering ? It would be so fantastic if Tata comes up with that option. I wouldn't mind spending 20K to do an upgrade.
I remember seeing somewhere that the glove box is available as an accessory a few months back. Why don't you check on the website or a Tata dealer close by.
Old 15th January 2014, 16:48   #82
Senior - BHPian

Finally the nano gets what it deserves. I think it's a total VFM car for the money. Maybe I would like to have one in future if possible. The Power steering is much needed in congested cities. True the Nano has its shortcomings, but I feel that we should at-least give credit to Ratan Tata for the vision. I would give it full marks for what it is today.
W.A.G.7 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 16:48   #83
BANNED

Quote:
No offence to you but this looks like your trying desperately to find faults wit the Nano.

Battery inside the cabin, The whole engine itself is inside boss, just a steel sheet and a cloth to cover it from you. What's your take on it?

Quote:
Sorry, but THAT I would say is Obsessive & Compulsive. For ALL practical reasons - NOTHING WILL HAPPEN. You have a UPS for your home PC?
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Finally the nano gets what it deserves. I think it's a total VFM car for the money. Maybe I would like to have one in future if possible. The Power steering is much needed in congested cities. True the Nano has its shortcomings, but I feel that we should at-least give credit to Ratan Tata for the vision. I would give it full marks for what it is today.
+100

Anurag.
Old 15th January 2014, 17:07   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardus View Post
It's really sad to see most people discount Nano because of it's "Cheap Image". And unfortunately I believe this image increased by word of mouth from one person to another (as gossip) than just the media. It's probably due to our culture to follow the mass and not evaluate personally based on ones needs.

3. Fragile ? Just because it was launched at 1 lac doesn't mean its fragile.
4. Small ? Have you seen a Nano next to Maruti Estilo or Wagon R? Do you still see it as small and fragile ?
Very True. I had to show my F-I-L, a Nano parked next to an Alto and and an 800 to actually admire the size of Nano... But Alas, he was still able to locate the non-openable hatch .

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Do you know which car will be recognized by even the kids who have just learnt to talk? Do you know which car will make you famous in the neighbourhood (be it your home or office) without making people jealous?

Talk desirability! Whenever I drive to work, I hear kids say "Nano!" as I pass them. These are kids standing at their doorsteps, in the arms of their mothers or passing by in an autorickshaw. They all recognize the car. Not even a BMW or a Mercedes would have that recognition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I would agree with Honeybee here; Kids love the Nano. When I had one, I saw so many kids admiring the Nano. Plus, it comes with a pre-installed FFE
My 4 year old daughter wants a PINK Nano for her mom . She is all excited seeing a Nano on the roads..

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
No offence to you but this looks like your trying desperately to find faults wit the Nano.

Battery inside the cabin, The whole engine itself is inside boss, just a steel sheet and a cloth to cover it from you. What's your take on it?
Maruti Omni has the full Engine fitted under the driver seat, and you are worried about battery ....
Old 15th January 2014, 17:08   #85
BHPian

Aditya,

Thanks for the nice review.

After reading GTO's review of the Nano last year, The Wife and I went to test drive the Nano. It was supposed to be bought for her. While I was almost happy with the Nano, the lack of a Power Steering led us to not buy the Nano. The addition of the EPS surely adds to the Nano's USP's and it's capability as a brilliant city car.

.... Oh, and it's available in PURPLE!!!
iceman7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 17:51   #86
Senior - BHPian

A big plus which most of us here on the forum are not discussing at all, is crash protection. Nano has certified crash protection on European norms. What are the crash ratings for a Esteem, Estilo, Zen or an Alto? Zero, Zilch. Infact the Suzuki Alto has been regularly termed the most dangerous cars in Europe. That says it all
Old 15th January 2014, 18:45   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
A big plus which most of us here on the forum are not discussing at all, is crash protection. Nano has certified crash protection on European norms. What are the crash ratings for a Esteem, Estilo, Zen or an Alto? Zero, Zilch. Infact the Suzuki Alto has been regularly termed the most dangerous cars in Europe. That says it all
I knew there was a thread discussing Alto's terrible crash test results. But I had this doubt since Tata Nano's own website incorrectly mentioned (Link) that Alto had crumple zones. Maybe a minor communication gap, but the result would be quite a game-changer.
Heres a pic :
Tata Nano Twist XT : Driven-err.jpg

Edit : IIRC Europe Nano & Alto both had airbags, but in India, Nano is safer due to the excellently engineered crumple zone in the front section & the side impact bars.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 15th January 2014 at 18:50.
Old 15th January 2014, 18:47   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I was about to ask safety aspect of Nano and then I saw your response.
Reading about "battery inside the car" and "engine inside the car" comments on this page, it makes me wonder how relevant are the results of the Nano tested in Europe?
Old 15th January 2014, 18:55   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Reading about "battery inside the car" and "engine inside the car" comments on this page, it makes me wonder how relevant are the results of the Nano tested in Europe?
In a head on collision there is a risk of the whole engine being pushed into the cabin area by the impact. Since the Nano has its engine in the rear, the entire nose section becomes a big crumple zone improving the safety.

As for the battery being inside the cabin, I almost forgot about it. You need to remember it or else you may never notice. After one and a half year and 26k kms with the battery being inside the cabin I haven't experienced any sort of trouble because of it. It doesn't even hog any useful space.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 19:02   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I knew there was a thread discussing Alto's terrible crash test results. But I had this doubt since Tata Nano's own website incorrectly mentioned (Link) that Alto had crumple zones. Maybe a minor communication gap, but the result would be quite a game-changer.
Heres a pic :
Attachment 1191320

Edit : IIRC Europe Nano & Alto both had airbags, but in India, Nano is safer due to the excellently engineered crumple zone in the front section & the side impact bars.
Quote:
The very fact that Nano doesn't have the engine in the front is an advantage for crash ratings and safety. There is a sturdy cross member across the front axle to protect the passenger compartment in the Nano, in the Alto this member is not present, in interest of squeezing more space in the passenger compartment.
Both Alto and Nano have side impact beams and crumple zones, however the lack of the front impact beam in the Alto causes the poor crash ratings and consequently no protection for the passenger.
Also what is the usefulness of an airbag, when the driver and passenger's legs are crushed because the engine is pushed into the passenger bay?

As to the fire protection, even if the engine is outside the passenger compartment, there is no fire retardant material in the so called 'firewall' it is a simple aluminum sheet covered with sound deadening material and carpets. There are several cases where in fire in the engine compartment has burned the entire car, and this is true of all cars, from the Alto to an Audi.

Also thousands of Eeco taxis are being used, whose driver sits on the engine itself, nothing can be more unsafe than this, but we have not heard of any safety issues have we? The worst safety issue is us Indians strapping a big hulking tank filled with highly explosive CNG or LPG, in our boot, basically we are driving mobile time bombs...

Last edited by apachelongbow : 15th January 2014 at 19:05.
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks