Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2014, 22:12   #16
MDe
BHPian

re: Driven: 2nd-gen Skoda Superb (2014)

Thanks for the very comprehensive review and the pictures.
Thinking about it, going to this segment, I wouldnt really be very pleased with a 138bhp motor as I would expect more for the money. The TSI looks like a better value in this case.
IMHO, I also feel that the design around the C pillar is still bulky and doesnt really give the smooth feeling that you get in a 3 series or C class. I however agree that the space on the rear seat is a definite big plus and kudos to Skoda for providing executive level comfort of this level. Another sore issue that I can see is the missing USB compatibility. That is definitely a "must have" for any car in the current world.
Old 1st February 2014, 22:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

This car is always king of the hill when it comes to kit levels but if past behaviour is an indication of what to expect then only the initial batches will get the 140 bhp diesel. Skoda shafted the first customers with the dud PD engine and then introduced the crdi . The facelift is good but the interior is where you spend your time and this one looks old for the money demanded. They should introduce the 1.6tdi like they have in other markets, people who need the space will lap it up. Very unlikely to happen.
Old 1st February 2014, 23:00   #18
Team-BHP Support

Excellent review Kiran and awesome pics Rehaan.

The exterior changes are much needed, especially the redesign to that hideous whale like rear end. The new rear looks far far better with the chiseled cuts and LED lamps.

My only worry with the Superb is the pricing. While the petrol is priced competitively, the diesel AT has a 3 lakh premium over the TSI AT. This is huge for the fuel alone and brings the superb smack bang in 3 series, A4 territory. The brand plays a huge role when putting down 30 big ones and that's where Skoda may lose out even though the car is a brilliant package especially if you're chauffeur driven. Discounts on 3 series, A4 and C class coupled with corporate edition's is not going to help Skoda's cause.

If they increase the prices of this facelift too much, they will have a very hard time trying to sell what is essentially a 5+ year old product. They should try something new and offer a full maintenance plan like BMW as a USP. This may just do the trick. It depends on how confident they are on the product.

Even though the exterior's have been freshened up I am feeling the interiors are now beginning to look dated.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 1st February 2014 at 23:02.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 08:32   #19
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Wunderbar!
Wonderful review! Thank you for such lovely detailed photography and the review information too.
This is truly an eminently desirable car indeed.
50 Lakh Rupee Luxe at half the price just about sums it up perfectly!

As an aside, my friend bought a top spec Audi Q3 for about 45 ish lakhs. Every time we go for golf I tease him by parking my Yeti next to his Audi and needle him a bit by saying that I got all of the same stuff at less than half the price!

Ha ha! What wicked fun that is!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 13:52   #20
Team-BHP Support

Whenever I read a new official review of a Skoda car, I feel like buying one (in the future).

But inexplicably, after some time, the feeling goes away (and stays away)!
SmartCat is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 17:52   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

An awesome review of a fantastic facelift. Must say that this is one of the best minor facelifts of any car - surpassed only by the new Mercedes E Class facelift in my view. Just shows how LED lamps and a few tweaks can make a relatively dowdy car look really good. Hope that the DSG DQ200 gives fewer problems in the face-lifted version than it did in the last generation. Further, quality control needs to improve materially.
Old 2nd February 2014, 18:08   #22
BHPian

Great Review. Thanks.

The only question in my mind is why would you buy this car with all the negative sentiment on the dealerships and Skoda India ?

Everyone, without exception, that I speak to tell me to stay away from Skoda.

My neighbour was a Skoda owner. She sold the car because she couldnt not bear the service center anymore. They estimated approx Rs 4000 for what turned out to be a blown fuse
Old 2nd February 2014, 19:37   #23
Team-BHP Support

Great review, I did consider the Superb as a replacement for my vRS but it was hardly sporty and I did not need the space but the suptious interiors and equipment levels did force me to take a look
Old 2nd February 2014, 20:21   #24
BHPian

Wonderfully detailed review. Very very insightful and honest.

But the Octavia feels more like my next one.

Anyways, Hats off for the review.
Old 2nd February 2014, 21:42   #25
BHPian

Very good review. Is there any news on a 2.0TDI manual. This will also make Jetta 2.0TDI overpriced compared to Superb. So I think the answer will be no. Also anything on the 4 year skoda shield ? i.e, extended warranty not to be a part of insurance?
Old 3rd February 2014, 08:27   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Any news on the pricing? I hope the 1.8TSI MT is retained because I wouldn't touch (or recommend) the DQ200 by a bargepole.
No news on the pricing yet. I guess they'll launch and announce the car at in a few days at the Auto Expo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@ndy View Post
P.S. Is the horn Skoda's paamp-paamp type? (Just curious )
It is a paamp-paamp horn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
As things stand in the D2 segment, the biggest competitor for the Superb is its smaller sibling, the Octavia.
Agree for all except that the Octavia is a D1 segment car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Great review, I did consider the Superb as a replacement for my vRS but it was hardly sporty and I did not need the space but the suptious interiors and equipment levels did force me to take a look
Add to that, while you are alone in the Superb you'll feel like you are a chauffeur with all the space behind you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
Very good review. Is there any news on a 2.0TDI manual. This will also make Jetta 2.0TDI overpriced compared to Superb. So I think the answer will be no. Also anything on the 4 year skoda shield ? i.e, extended warranty not to be a part of insurance?
There's no 2.0 TDI manual on the Superb. You can't say that the Jetta is overpriced until the prices for the new Superb are announced.

Last edited by moralfibre : 11th February 2014 at 08:10.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 10:47   #27
BHPian

Awesome Review!!! Thanks for all the information and detailed photography. Once you read a review on Team-BHP no need to go to the dealership except for a test drive. The features of the car are explained in much detail than what the sales executive does especially with Skoda . Just to share my experience I recently bought a Skoda Rapid and thanks to Team-BHP review I knew about the car more than the exceutive who was explaining the features. You guys rock.

Only thing is Skoda should improve on the customer satisfaction and the After Sales big time... No other downside to Skoda Cars.

One more thing is Skoda providing only one foldable key with Superb or its a set of two. They are in cost cutting mode for the Rapid even in the Elegance TDi as they have provided me with only one remote. Big Thumbs down for that.
Old 3rd February 2014, 11:25   #28
Senior - BHPian

Superb review of the Superb, Moralfibre and Rehaan!

The facelift does indeed look nicer than the outgoing model. Especially at the rear, which most thought was plain boring, or even ugly.
The new rear gives the car a better look overall.

Moving to the inside, it just felt like sitting in the current gen Superb, save the new 3 spoke steering wheel.

One more change in the interior is; the gear lever knob has now changed to a smaller, more VW like knob. The now old Superb had a nice big knob to hold on to.
Rest everything remains the same.

Any news if the 1.8 MT TSI would be offered in the face lifted version?

EDIT: Couldn't be more glad to see the black carpets, in place of the extremely difficult to maintain beige ones
Also, as others have pointed out, Skoda needs to keep its head in check, and price the car appropriately, than getting carried away, with what is their best offer in the D2 segment.

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 3rd February 2014 at 11:29. Reason: Added text
Old 3rd February 2014, 11:25   #29
Team-BHP Support

Very good review and excellent snaps to go with it. Were the exterior shots (post #2) clicked during the dawn? Just curious.

It would be interesting to see the launch of the new (facelifted?) Rapid which is already retailing abroad. The new design looks sharper and much better than the existing model.

Just a couple of observations:

1. A bit surprised Skoda didn't change the steering wheel stalks to the newer ones with the piano black surrounds provided on the new Octavia which Viddy claimed to be of top-class quality.

On the new Superb:

On the new Octavia:

Strange! Co-incidentally the same stalks have found their way into the upcoming new Polo! (Link)

2. USB ports for the HU missing?! Granted, the SD card slot should be sufficient but nothing beats the convenience of an additional USB port.

Quote:
Driver's side ORVM is flat. Passenger's side is convex, but not split with a curved mirror at the far edge (like the Laura's):
I hope the ORVMs are auto-dimming type.

The only gripe with Skoda (or a VAG car) right now is the customer support, what with so many threads on the forum with members complaining of breakdowns and poor support from them. Hope the situation improves.
Old 3rd February 2014, 12:09   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
There's no 2.0 TDI manual on the Superb. You can't say that the Jetta is overpriced until the prices for the new Superb are announced.
Very true. Since the Passat is discontinued, there is a wide pricing range available. But then pricing a 5+ year old car, substantially higher than the outgoing model, for zero feaures of added value will be high handedness or oughtright arrogance. I am sitting on the fence to decide between the superb and the Jetta. I do think the jetta is overpriced (better than before though) for the features it offers compared to the existing superb. Both platforms are old and to be discontinued within a year or two. Since the budget price hike in kerala for road taxes and registration is due on 1st April 2014, only superb (2014 model) may be available before first of April (I think, no Jetta or other VW cars available in short term, waiting period was mentioned as 4 months). I still remember the face of the SA when I told him that the new superb is to be launched next week at similar prices. He was like "but Sir that car is Passat class !!! only 20.85 lakhs ex showroom TSI 1.8?".

Last edited by 999 : 3rd February 2014 at 12:11.
999 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks