Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2020, 22:06   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
By 2014, the issues related to the automatic gearbox had been resolved (mostly). Don't quote me on this though.

I feel 9.5 lacs is high for a Delhi car which has done 80k km. I have a 2011 1.8 TSI MT which had done 15k km when I bought it in 2016 ( 5 years old car) for about 8 lacs. Biggest difference is mileage, if it had done similar low miles, then it was a good deal.
Given today's liquidity crunch, I think it should go for 7.5-8 lacs.
I'm certainly going to try and bargain, and bring it down to the 8 range, but do you feel Skoda cars would be reliable enough post 80K KM ?

That seems like a total steal, are you sure it was for the facelifted superb that arrived in mid 2014 ?

Because I have many offers for the pre lifted version ranging between 5 and 7 lacs.

But since the mechanics were largely unchanged, do you happen to know of any reliability issues or major expenditures that your friend has faced ?

Many thanks

Last edited by ajmat : 29th April 2020 at 22:55.
Old 30th April 2020, 00:10   #92
BHPian

Re: Driven: 2nd-gen Skoda Superb (2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
That seems like a total steal, are you sure it was for the facelifted superb that arrived in mid 2014 ?

Because I have many offers for the pre lifted version ranging between 5 and 7 lacs.

But since the mechanics were largely unchanged, do you happen to know of any reliability issues or major expenditures that your friend has faced ?

Many thanks
It is the facelift. I'm absolutely sure about it.

The pre-facelift versions which are 2009 and 2010 are selling at around 4.

He has barely driven 2000 kms, hasn't faced any issues so far.
BMvW.Rajat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 00:17   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
I'm certainly going to try and bargain, and bring it down to the 8 range, but do you feel Skoda cars would be reliable enough post 80K KM ?

Many thanks
I don't expect issues with a Skoda Superb in 80k km. However, you should check a few things thoroughly
1. Engine oil consumption. The 1.8 TSI is really thirsty for oil. My car consumes oil at a rate of 100-150 ml per 1000 km. That means a top of 1 litre every 8-10k km. I usually service it early around that time.
2. Check if the water pump is replaced. They tend to fail at 50-60k km mark.
3. Replace ignition coils and spark plugs. Keep them in stock with you (expense is about 3.5k for each coil and 1000-1500 for a spark plug) Together about 20k. Else keep this money aside.
4. Check if the car has had mechatronic failure on the gearbox. Sorting this out is about 1.5 lacs.
5. Evaluate how good the suspension is. Dampers are not that expensive - maybe 5-6k each. I don't like a single sound from my car. So I changed my Superb's suspension dampers proactively at 40k km. Yeah I can be picky.
6. Scan the car for all fault codes etc. to ensure there are no lurking electronic issues.

I can't say for sure when the FL car came. But mechanically they are similar. If I were you, I would get an older generation lower mileage manual transmission. Maybe like a 2013 model. You'll get it cheaper and you can keep that extra cash for urgent unforeseen repairs.

Service cost is in the vicinity of 15-20k.

My ownership thread is overdue and is lying incomplete in the assembly line section for a few years now. With this, I am motivated to complete it so that prospective buyers can benefit from it.
nitrogary is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 22:37   #94
BHPian

Thanks for the details, will surely keep this in mind.

Though a manual is out of question, I am in the market strictly for an automatic.
Old 23rd September 2020, 18:41   #95
BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Rain sensor placed on the IRVM mount. Observe closely and you'll spot the light sensor on the back of the IRVM:
Ayy lmao. My IRVM fell off today , will NOT visit A.S.C. Hats off to Skoda for just sticking a heavy mirror with just some adhesive around a suspicious light-bending black rounded rectangle. Flex Kwik/Araldite to the rescue!
Old 24th January 2023, 17:13   #96
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Clearly an older model that still has so many examples on the road. For a car that was launched in '09 in India, I must say, the 2nd-gen Superb still looks good if maintained right. Spotted one owned by an enthusiast, re-painted in the new Skoda grey. Looked smart.

Driven: 2nd-gen Skoda Superb (2014)-20230124-14.28.08.jpg

Driven: 2nd-gen Skoda Superb (2014)-20230124-14.28.19.jpg
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed