Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2014, 13:55   #46
BHPian

re: Driven: 2nd-gen Skoda Superb (2014)

Does anyone know the prices after budget'14?
Old 20th February 2014, 20:02   #47
BHPian

Checked the prices today. As per TAFE access in Bangalore, Skoda is not reducing the prices of the new Superb. He also mentioned that the prices for the new Octavia will go up in a month.
Old 28th February 2014, 22:17   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercharlie View Post
Checked the prices today. As per TAFE access in Bangalore, Skoda is not reducing the prices of the new Superb. He also mentioned that the prices for the new Octavia will go up in a month.
When all other manufacturer's are following price cuts post the budget , I dont understand why Skoda is not able to pass the benefit to the customers.
Red's is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 21:54   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw the 2014 Skoda Superb in person for the first time. I must say that Skoda has done a fabulous job with how this car looks. Parked next to a older Superb, the facelift looks an entire segment higher. Looks more like a next gen car than a mere nip and tuck job. Skoda is going to be hard pressed to up the ante when the next gen car actually arrives.
Hayek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 21:00   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Saw the 2014 Skoda Superb in person for the first time. I must say that Skoda has done a fabulous job with how this car looks. Parked next to a older Superb, the facelift looks an entire segment higher. Looks more like a next gen car than a mere nip and tuck job. Skoda is going to be hard pressed to up the ante when the next gen car actually arrives.
Completely agree, Superb looks really superb esp in magnetic brown color.
Old 14th March 2014, 06:54   #51
BHPian

The all new Superb is due in 2016, with an all new platform and the new "Vision" language design. Now does it make sense going in for the current model ?. Since the all new one is not that far away, this version of the car would look oddly dated after 2 years. Is it worth the wait ?.

Regards
Red's
Old 14th March 2014, 07:40   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's View Post
The all new Superb is due in 2016, with an all new platform and the new "Vision" language design. Now does it make sense going in for the current model ?. Since the all new one is not that far away, this version of the car would look oddly dated after 2 years. Is it worth the wait ?.

Regards
Red's
That would still be 3 years for the international launch. Add to that, another few months or a year to launch it in India. That is still quite some time away.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 08:28   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Regards
Red's
Three years is a long time. By this context, every car would look dated in 3-4 years. I would say, enjoy the moment now, than wait and (maybe) regret later for waiting.
Old 14th March 2014, 08:37   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is it worth the wait ?.
If you are narrowing on the Superb and have no hurry in purchase it makes sense to wait for the next Gen Superb specualted to be launched in 2016 internationally.
Here is the why for the above,
1. A dramatic change in styling - shades of Vision C concept in styling
2. It will be based on the B8 platformwhile the current is the B6 and it means it will be a platform ahead of the current Passat (B7)
3. Interiors quality and space could be enhanced ( Current Superb these are great too)

Cheers!
Old 20th March 2014, 20:01   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Other points:

Skoda Shield is highly recommended for any car equipped with the DQ200 DSG. 4 years of warranty coverage as part of the package.

• The facelifted Superb is a stopgap arrangement until the all-new 2015 model is introduced.

• Well-equipped, value for money Ambition variant gets new alloy wheels, LED lamps, Bolero stereo (8 speakers), Bluetooth connectivity and 4-spoke steering wheel with paddle shifts. No AT TSI engine option on the Ambition though.

• Magnetic Brown, Brilliant Silver and Metal Grey are the 3 new colours on offer. Our test car (Magnetic Brown) gave an illusion of being black under certain light conditions.

• Rough road package is standard on the Superb. Offers complete underbody and engine protection plates.

• ARAI certified fuel efficiency: 13.1 kpl (TSI MT), 13.7 kpl (TSI AT) and 17.2 kpl (TDI AT). The AT variant is more fuel efficient than the manual!

• The Superb comes with an umbrella tucked in the rear left door (à la Rolls Royce). Don't forget to get yours from the dealer at the time of delivery.

• A big shoutout to Rehaan for accompanying me on this drive and for his brilliant photography.

Disclaimer : Skoda invited Team-BHP for the Superb test-drive. They covered all the travel expenses for this driving event.

One quick question. Is the bixenon setup similar to the one on the Octavia? I ask because when i checked it had a halogen light which turned on when using high beam.
Old 5th April 2014, 12:01   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_navin View Post
One quick question. Is the bixenon setup similar to the one on the Octavia? I ask because when i checked it had a halogen light which turned on when using high beam.
The Superb's Bi-Xenon is similar to the Octavia. Additionally the Halogen high beam will also come on along with the Xenons. Halogens have a better throw as far as my experience in the Laura goes. The Octavia has only one lens, hence no Halogen.
Old 5th April 2014, 14:54   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
The Superb's Bi-Xenon is similar to the Octavia. Additionally the Halogen high beam will also come on along with the Xenons. Halogens have a better throw as far as my experience in the Laura goes. The Octavia has only one lens, hence no Halogen.
Thanks adi. I did Check again. I'm somehow not convinced that they are bixenons. It does stay on in high beam but I don't see any change in the beam. The beam seems to be the same in low and high. The only difference in high beam is that the halogens come on too. Am I missing something here?
Old 5th April 2014, 20:10   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am I missing something here?
I posted this on the Jetta thread which should explain this for you -

The term Bi-Xenon is confusing. Bi-Xenon is basically marketing jargon for a projector headlight that activates a solenoid when the High beams are activated. The solenoid in the projector moves downwards, allowing for more light in the projector bowl to actually escape through the magnified glass. This basically provides a "high" beam even though it is still the same beam. This is how it is in the Superb and the new Octavia. AFAIK in the Laura & Jetta the Xenon works only for low beam.

A lot of cars have Halogen high beams to supplement the Xenon/HID (Superb/New Octavia) or to act as the sole high beam (Laura/Jetta). Xenon/HIDs are not very suitable as separate high beams since they have a longer warm up time and flashing them drastically reduces their lifespan. A lot of cars also have a halogen beam to complement the HID/Xenon with a solenoid (aka bi-xenon as in the Superb).

Hope that clears your doubts...

Last edited by dkaile : 5th April 2014 at 20:11.
Old 5th April 2014, 22:26   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I posted this on the Jetta thread which should explain this for you -

The term Bi-Xenon is confusing. Bi-Xenon is basically marketing jargon for a projector headlight that activates a solenoid when the High beams are activated. The solenoid in the projector moves downwards, allowing for more light in the projector bowl to actually escape through the magnified glass. This basically provides a "high" beam even though it is still the same beam. This is how it is in the Superb and the new Octavia. AFAIK in the Laura & Jetta the Xenon works only for low beam.

A lot of cars have Halogen high beams to supplement the Xenon/HID (Superb/New Octavia) or to act as the sole high beam (Laura/Jetta). Xenon/HIDs are not very suitable as separate high beams since they have a longer warm up time and flashing them drastically reduces their lifespan. A lot of cars also have a halogen beam to complement the HID/Xenon with a solenoid (aka bi-xenon as in the Superb).

Hope that clears your doubts...
Thanks for that. I do get what you are saying. What got me thinking is that in the Audi A4, a shift from the low beam to high beam is noticeable . You can see a flicker and change in the path of the beam. But that did not happen in the superb. Anyway I will take a good look at it again .
Old 6th April 2014, 12:59   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But that did not happen in the superb. Anyway I will take a good look at it again .
Skoda Explains this as follows -
Quote:
ŠKODA Superb Bi-Xenon Headlamps with AFS

AFS (Adaptive Frontlight System) represents top technology, which based on the current driving conditions and the speed of the car enables automatic headlights adjustment. The system is capable of working in different regimes:

- Extra-urban - regime similar to a standard dimmed lights.
- Urban - wider and shorter spread of the light.
- Motorway - long light persistence.

The front lights also include the rain function, which you will welcome during low visibility operations and even during a snowstorm.

The AFS also includes rotation of the headlamps when driving through a curve plus fog headlamps with Corner function.

Bi-xenon headlamps with LED daytime running lights (DRL) perfectly match the overall dynamic concept of the vehicle's front section. LED diodes are located in two vertical rows on the outer edge of the headlamp, which make the car clearly visible and catch the eye with letter C shaped illumination, so far known only with the rear lights.
Now if you will look closely inside the Skoda headlamp, you should see this -
Driven: 2nd-gen Skoda Superb (2014)-superb-bending-bixenon_1.jpg

This shot is from my 2012 Superb and similar should be visible in the new facelifted 2014 model
Driven: 2nd-gen Skoda Superb (2014)-superb-bending-bixenon_2.jpg

These are Bending Bi-Xenons. Their effect may not be immediately visible at idle but their effect changes with speed, light conditions, rain etc. The same single headlamp fitted with a solenoid acts as a high beam at higher speeds and the halogen bulb supplements the high beam effect. This is how it is in the Superb and similar should be there in the New Octavia. AFAIK this is absent in the current Jetta and the Laura i.e. in layman terms, the bending effect.

Hope that clarifies.

Last edited by dkaile : 6th April 2014 at 13:10.
dkaile is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks