Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2015, 21:28   #226
Senior - BHPian

It's sad to see you are facing so many small but highly irritating issues since the start. I dare say. Sell it. Nothing is more important than peace of mind. Ever after spending so much money if you have to raise your BP every time when you take it for a drive then it's simply not worth it.

You have Creta and Swift as well so selling City won't make much a difference in commuting. Buy something else if you need to.

Though on a personal note I will be sad to see your car go as your review was the one which finally made my mind to buy City.
harry10 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 21:59   #227
Senior - BHPian

re: 2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Will see what the report from the dealership comes, and if it isn't to my satisfaction, I might have to sell Empress off.
This is sad man, you are the second City owner in a week who is thinking of selling his car off due to these persistent issues. One member already bought a Ciaz and i would suggest you to sell the car off if these issues continue. This is just not acceptable in a car costing 13 lakh+ on road and that too from Honda who have been known to produce reliable cars. These niggles are generally associated with Fiat or Ford's (i own both but never faced such issues ) and definitely not from Honda.

These persistent issues just kill the joy of owning a product, you already have 2 cars now and if you want you can get some other C segment sedan for you, City has good resale so you would not lose much value either. If i would have bought a City for its peace of mind negating driving dynamics and then i do not even get that peace of mind, i can understand how angry you must be.

Wonder what went up Honda's head to do such rampant cost cutting on new gen City, this definitely hurts brand image. To sell your old City for the I-Dtec was not a great decision it seems
coolboy007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 22:35   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Though on a personal note I will be sad to see your car go as your review was the one which finally made my mind to buy City.
I hope your 2014 City is serving you well, harry.

Yes, after spending over a million bucks on a car, one would expect for the basic things to be right at least. Glass-cracking sounds when windows are rolled down, doors not locking shut, wires/couplers moving out of place by themselves, rattle-prone dashboards - such things are not expected from 10,00,000+ costing cars.

More so from Honda offerings, who has gained a reputation from the ground up based on one thing and one thing only - reliability. The "Honda" badge is synonymous with this one single biggest quality, and is still the big reason why the Citys, Jazzes & Amazes sell so well.

Thoroughly disappointing experience for me.

The only redeeming factor of the 2014 City till now has been the i-DTEC which, although annoying in it's NVH levels and reminds me of a tractor every time it's cranked up and run, is a pretty frugal beast and has enough tractability in both low and high RPMs to keep it's performance flag flying, fuel economy-wise and running-wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
To sell your old City for the I-Dtec was not a great decision it seems
A big point of regret for me for the past 6 months or so.

My Silver Pegasus was a beauty. Not a rattle, nor a squeak in it's 2-year run with me. I modded her to glory, even then there wasn't any complaints from her through sudden niggles or rattles in all the new parts/panels/fittings done on her.

Heck, not even a damn puncture!

I should have stuck with her. Even though she was the Base variant (Corporate Edition), she was absolutely fantastic in this one aspect - miles ahead in sheer quality.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 24th August 2015 at 22:40.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 22:48   #229
BANNED

Quote:
I listed down all niggles which are plaguing me and Empress right now:

- The "Check Engine" gremlin
- The relentless squeaking of the front seats section.

- Two small rattles from the dashboard section - one from the steering column[/b] and the [b]other from under the glovebox somewhere - which became very pronounced if the road surface became rough or uneven.

- Front passenger door has started rattling.

- Driver-side internal door lever had broken loose

And, as if to compound the problems, the driver side window glass has started it's "kat-kat" problem again when it is powered down or up, from today morning. (same as last year)
Wow Avi bhai. I have your thread bookmarked as well subscribed and this update from you startles me to the core.

I only have one question in my mind now:

Is HONDA desperate to become the No. 1 in rattling department which is now held by Maruti Suzuki?!

Are these guys absolutely out of their minds and what on earth are they smoking when they did come up with this Generation of City?

All I can say is this car now sells only by the brand loyalty and feedback from older generation City customers. If this was to sell only by feedback from the current generation owners then I can tell that the production lines for Honda will be empty / idle. May be they can rent out the line to Maruti or Hyundai who are falling short of capacities v/s demand.

Quote:
Check Engine gremlin: Got Empress hooked to the service laptop first, to check the Malfunction history. The tech again got busy with the wirings and couplers inside the engine bay, and pointed out to a couple of wires behind the turbocharger unit which had slipped out of their place.
Highlighted in Bold and Italics: This takes the cake!

I can forgive rattling, paint quality or any misfit items that can be corrected at a later stage but such issues like misfit/loose couplers etc that too for utter crucial equipments is just NOT acceptable from a manufacturer.

They better stop manufacturing!

Quote:
Will see what the report from the dealership comes, and if it isn't to my satisfaction, I might have to sell Empress off.
A wise decision if you do take it sooner or later!

With the City now hardly used, I feel you palm it off without any second thought.

There is the Swift anyway at home for any other requirements (Like local errands/shopping/school pick up or drop) so the City is nothing but a dead inventory for you.

Awaiting a decision on this.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 23:37   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hope your 2014 City is serving you well, harry.

Yes, after spending over a million bucks on a car, one would expect for the basic things to be right at least. Glass-cracking sounds when windows are rolled down, doors not locking shut, wires/couplers moving out of place by themselves, rattle-prone dashboards - such things are not expected from 10,00,000+ costing cars.

More so from Honda offerings, who has gained a reputation from the ground up based on one thing and one thing only - reliability. The "Honda" badge is synonymous with this one single biggest quality, and is still the big reason why the Citys, Jazzes & Amazes sell so well.

Thoroughly disappointing experience for me.

The only redeeming factor of the 2014 City till now has been the i-DTEC which, although annoying in it's NVH levels and reminds me of a tractor every time it's cranked up and run, is a pretty frugal beast and has enough tractability in both low and high RPMs to keep it's performance flag flying, fuel economy-wise and running-wise.
Well, probably i am lucky till now. 23000 kms completed in 14 months and none of the issues you are facing have surfaced in my car. Touch wood. Even a good friend of mine who bought the top model before me has not faced any such issues(35k km). Maybe, yours is from a defected batch or a simple case of pure bad luck. In any case you have the solution in your hands.

True, the engine is remarkable. Not a beast like Verna but a perfect all rounder.

On a side note. There are many people complaining about rattles. I haven't observed any in my car and i drive in the city which has probably the worst roads in the country at present. I hate Maruti cars only cos of their excessive rattling and seems like Honda is going down in this dept. too.
harry10 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 07:36   #231
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My Silver Pegasus was a beauty. Not a rattle, nor a squeak in it's 2-year run with me. I modded her to glory, even then there wasn't any complaints from her through sudden niggles or rattles in all the new parts/panels/fittings done on her.

I should have stuck with her. Even though she was the Base variant (Corporate Edition), she was absolutely fantastic in this one aspect - miles ahead in sheer quality.
Yes, I think lure of a new car took over you then

That probably was the last specimen from Honda before they completely re-positioned themselves in India. And if I remember correctly, your car had wonderful all-black interiors as well. Any possible replacements lined up?
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 19:26   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Is HONDA desperate to become the No. 1 in rattling department which is now held by Maruti Suzuki?!
Quote:
I hate Maruti cars only cos of their excessive rattling and seems like Honda is going down in this dept. too.
Unlike Honda, Maruti-Suzuki has actually come up in their vehicle quality in recent times.

Just take a look at the Ciaz both inside and out - the level of attention given to the minute details and the sheer quality of materials used inside is very commendable.

After that, the S-Cross. Except for the stalks and buttons which have been picked from the common bin, all other sections and materials exude quality - dashboard, plastics, door covers, etc.

Don't have to go too far to cite another example - our July 2014 Swift ZXI hasn't had even a single rattle/niggle/defect in it's 5500-odd kms journey with us so far. Parts and plastic quality might be bad, but it's much ahead of the 2014 City in this one regard!

Maruti-Suzuki are actually upping their game. Honda India are taking theirs down.

Quote:
Maybe, yours is from a defected batch or a simple case of pure bad luck. In any case you have the solution in your hands.
Initially, I thought that the first set of cars (around 4-5 months from launch date) had these persistent niggles problem.

But a swift read of the Official City review reveals that even later batches and also some 2015 Citys are plagued with niggles/loose parts/defects, etc.

Something is definitely wrong with the Honda QC team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Yes, I think lure of a new car took over you then
Indeed!

Quote:
That probably was the last specimen from Honda before they completely re-positioned themselves in India. And if I remember correctly, your car had wonderful all-black interiors as well.
Oh yes. Even the Corporate Edition didn't seem like it was built to a cost. It seemed like a worthy upgrade to the Jazz X which I was initially contemplating, and the Honda India company "of 2012" proved my decision was right, back then.

The all-black interiors looked fabulous. Complimented them with a lovely set of Autoform seat covers, a Pioneer 2490 AVN unit, Focal components in front, JBL GTO components in rear, ambient lighting, nomad mats, etc., and the cabin was THE place to be.

*Sigh*

Quote:
With the City now hardly used, I feel you palm it off without any second thought.

Awaiting a decision on this.
Quote:
Any possible replacements lined up?
I spread the word earlier today, and got a few offers by evening. The City is quite popular, specially when the used car market comes to know of a single-hand driven, perfectly-serviced car.

One of the interested buyers is scheduled to drop by later tonight. Let's see what happens.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 25th August 2015 at 19:29.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 19:53   #233
BHPian

Quote:

I spread the word earlier today, and got a few offers by evening. The City is quite popular, specially when the used car market comes to know of a single-hand driven, perfectly-serviced car.

One of the interested buyers is scheduled to drop by later tonight. Let's see what happens.
so you are not going to wait for the response from Honda on the issues you were facing? Or have they replied? City is the last car you would have trouble selling. City commands an excellent resale value, I got my complete invoice value back for the IVTEC. Hope the IDTEC commands the same kind of resale value in the used car market.

After I sold the car and cancelled the HPA the SBI bank manager called me up and asked me if I was interested in selling the car as he wanted to buy it. He thought I had kept it in park & sell.
rockporiom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 23:49   #234
BANNED

Quote:
Unlike Honda, Maruti-Suzuki has actually come up in their vehicle quality in recent times.
Hope Maruti Suzuki keeps growing to shed that 'cheap' image one day!

Honda are you reading? You can't do customers anymore and take things for granted. The "Chalta Hai" attitude will backfire hard at one point of time. Hope they can cope with it then!

Quote:
Don't have to go too far to cite another example - our July 2014 Swift ZXI hasn't had even a single rattle/niggle/defect in it's 5500-odd kms journey with us so far.
Absolutely.

Both my Ritz VDi at 1.1L at the time of selling and my current steed the Swift ZDi at 53K kms haven't rattled just as cars from Maruti Suzuki are labeled as.

Quote:
Now that's quick. Excellent. Do update is on the situation.

What are you expecting the city to sell at?
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 08:39   #235
BHPian

Quote:

It was your passionate thread about pegasus that had helped tilt my decision to go for the 2012 city in feb 2013. Now after 2.5 years, as you said..not a squeak, not a rattle and seriously not even a puncture. Service experience has been very pleasant. Love this car to bits.
Sad to see the new model fail to live up to the standards the brand ' honda city' was known for.
pyrodrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 19:49   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
so you are not going to wait for the response from Honda on the issues you were facing? Or have they replied?
Received the response earlier in the afternoon today, from the company (via dealership).

They have asked if Empress was involved in an accident in-between, and if that is the reason why the passenger-side door is misaligned and the driver door glass is creating the sound when the window is rolled down.

My SA assured them that nothing of that sort has happened with Empress, and that the passenger-side door has this issue from delivery day itself, while the driver-door's glass problem started from May 2014. Still, they aren't convinced and are asking for an independent, thorough check of Empress by separate technicians.

Seriously, it was a moment when I couldn't decide whether to laugh or to cry! Wish there really was an accident involved, like they are so shamelessly insinuating!

Quote:
Honda are you reading? You can't do customers anymore and take things for granted. The "Chalta Hai" attitude will backfire hard at one point of time. Hope they can cope with it then!
People will soon realise that the Honda India company of 2014-onwards are actually a pale shadow of the Honda India which was last with us in 2012, when they had launched the facelift versions of the earlier-gen City & earlier-gen Jazz.

They have well and truly gone "mainstream" in India alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
It was your passionate thread about pegasus that had helped tilt my decision to go for the 2012 city in feb 2013. Now after 2.5 years, as you said..not a squeak, not a rattle and seriously not even a puncture. Service experience has been very pleasant. Love this car to bits.
Fantastic to hear. Do keep her close to yourself for as long as you can. It's the last of the "reliable" earlier-gen Citys which are like gems, when compared to the Citys of this generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
Hope the IDTEC commands the same kind of resale value in the used car market.
Quote:
What are you expecting the city to sell at?
I have a good offer in hand, and am going ahead with it. The company's response earlier today has pushed me finally over the edge.

I have described the niggles to the new owner, and he was fine with them, and said he would get them taken care of. He test drove Empress a number of times and is genuinely interested in buying her. I hope he can sort through the annoying niggles and she serves him well in the days to come.

Quote:
Any possible replacements lined up?
Haven't thought of any yet, but it's a given that our next car won't be a Honda. That's for sure.

But, I would like to commend my local Honda dealership, Shubh Honda, for steadfastly standing by me through all this. I was always given a patient hearing, all issues were tackled by them to the best of their ability, and they did what they could to keep my City as well as she could be.

Thank you, the team of Shubh Honda, and my wonderful SA, Deepak Tiwari. Much indebted for all your support.

ODO is at 13,194 kms.

Mods, feel free to close this thread whenever you see fit.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 26th August 2015 at 20:02. Reason: Added a thank-you note for the dealership.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 20:22   #237
BHPian

Ravenavi, I had been a silent follower of this thread from the time your review was posted and I feel sad at the fact that you are parting ways with the Empress. A BIG SHAME on Honda for going downhill in terms of quality on what I thought would be the best City to be made. I am a proud owner of the third gen Honda City bought in March 2011. The 3rd gen City is just superb in terms of peace of mind ownership and I can live with bad plastic quality compared to the number of issues you have faced with Empress. Mine has run only 24,000 km's but not a single rattle is heard and so far I have really worried about nothing and nothing more than regular service has been done till date. I mean seriously Honda what is your QC department doing ? Wires coming out of place, damaged door hinges , damn these are not the kind of problems you as an owner should be addressing when you have payed a million bucks for you so called premium sedan . You should have really just stuck with the Silver Pegasus. Hope you have a peaceful ownership with Lazarus .

Regards,
Swamyzen

Last edited by swamyzen : 26th August 2015 at 20:27.
swamyzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 20:33   #238
BANNED

Quote:
Received the response earlier in the afternoon today, from the company (via dealership).

They have asked if Empress was involved in an accident in-between, and if that is the reason why the passenger-side door is misaligned and the driver door glass is creating the sound when the window is rolled down.

I have a good offer in hand, and am going ahead with it.
Honda must be

Have they hired someone from Skoda/VW group in the customer relations centre? These guys have lost it completely.

A few days I was discussing the same with rockporiom over phone regarding his City niggles. I was amazed to see how bad a company can go down to within a year. One new launch and they have destroyed the car totally!

My friend was at one of the Honda dealership to buy a city so while he was checking out the car, I was chatting with the SA's there and asked why are the new generation cars so irritating and not reliable. He frowns at me saying - All cars from factor are perfect. I was like LOL!

I had screen shots of your car niggles, rockporiom's car niggle and the thread opened by cRaZy DrIVeR on the 2014 Honda City. I was shocked to hear the reply - It is NOT Possible. We have been selling the City and not received any complaints. Mind you that day they sold 8-9 Honda City's (more of i-DTEC).

As I can see that you have received a good offer and have decided to part ways with the car. I give you a of the decision.

Best is to get rid of niggling vehicle and have it lying in the garage which will deteriorate it further.

Do give my wishes and All the best to the new owner of your car. Do keep in touch with him to know the cars condition as days pass by!
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 23:38   #239
BHPian

RavenAvi, sorry to hear about these issues in such a beautifully maintained car. Even my 4 year old Etios at 35000 kms doesn't have any rattles, whatsoever. I think it's best to sell off such a melon. And anyways, your other two cars will serve you just fine, without the constant niggling. This is the sole reason that I've stayed away from the new City and bought the Duster instead. All the best!
mohaks19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 01:48   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Honda must be

Have they hired someone from Skoda/VW group in the customer relations centre? These guys have lost it completely.

A few days I was discussing the same with rockporiom over phone regarding his City niggles. I was amazed to see how bad a company can go down to within a year. One new launch and they have destroyed the car totally!

My friend was at one of the Honda dealership to buy a city so while he was checking out the car, I was chatting with the SA's there and asked why are the new generation cars so irritating and not reliable. He frowns at me saying - All cars from factor are perfect. I was like LOL!

I had screen shots of your car niggles, rockporiom's car niggle and the thread opened by cRaZy DrIVeR on the 2014 Honda City. I was shocked to hear the reply - It is NOT Possible. We have been selling the City and not received any complaints. Mind you that day they sold 8-9 Honda City's (more of i-DTEC).

As I can see that you have received a good offer and have decided to part ways with the car. I give you a of the decision.

Best is to get rid of niggling vehicle and have it lying in the garage which will deteriorate it further.

Do give my wishes and All the best to the new owner of your car. Do keep in touch with him to know the cars condition as days pass by!
Arrogance will be the undoing of Honda someday. But, right now they are doing great cos of the brand perception they have built in India over to years which will stay for sometime.

Just an example- couple of days back I went for a ride in my friends Dad's Indigo. He was cribbing a lot that Indigo is now too old and his father wants to buy another car and dispose this off. So, I suggested him Aspire or Zest as per his budget. He straight away said NO. His father doesn't like Ford and is considering Amaze cos it's a HONDA. No logic could make him see that Ford Aspire is a better car than Amaze. That's how most Indian car buyers are with their rigid mentality and Maruti and Honda are best reliable cars perceptions.
harry10 is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks