Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2014, 06:33   #91
Team-BHP Support

re: Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
I'm using them for leatherette seats on my Vento.

1. Meguiars - Gold Class Leather Cleaner & Conditioner
2. Meguiars Gold Class Leather Cleaner & Conditioner

Above products clean as well as condition the leather. So you get a 2 in 1 product.
Thanks el lobo 6061. I will get this cleaner for cleaning the seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhas.sudhish View Post
Hi graaja,
Do you know if we can program the ORVM's to fold when the car is locked and unfold when unlocked? As of now we manually have to turn the joystick before pulling the key out. Once key is taken out the ORVM'S do not fold.

And also have you used the xenon washers? If so please do share how. I couldn't figure out how to use them 8-)
I did some research a couple of weeks back on this topic. Jetta does not support comfort closing of ORVM through keyfob or auto closing and opening. With some modifications comfort closing through keyfob can be done. This will require installing a couple of relays (many people have used the relays from Audi) to activate the closing of the mirrors and some tweaks through VCDS cable and software.

The Xenon washers get activated once every 3 or 4 washes you do on the windshield. I found this getting activated a couple of times on my car when I was washing the windshield by pressing the wiper stalk towards me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
I had also seen the mirrors fold in when the car is locked (test drive car) but not able to do on my car as well. Graaja your inputs?
The threads I read about ORVM folding indicated that Jetta does not have this feature. Maybe 2014 model Jetta has the hardware for this feature and just requires enabling in VCDS. Would it be possible for you to visit the showroom and check the test drive car to confirm if this feature is there? And also ask the dealer how this can be enabled?
Old 30th April 2014, 09:22   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post

The Xenon washers get activated once every 3 or 4 washes you do on the windshield. I found this getting activated a couple of times on my car when I was washing the windshield by pressing the wiper stalk towards me.

In all the cars with the Xenon washers, if your headlight is ON, then pulling the level to spill water on the windscreen for 2 odd seconds will activate the xenon washers as well.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 10:20   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
In all the cars with the Xenon washers, if your headlight is ON, then pulling the level to spill water on the windscreen for 2 odd seconds will activate the xenon washers as well.
Thanks Abinav. I did not know that. I remember reading in the manual that the washer gets activated every 3rd or 4th time. I will check this out. One problem I see with the headlight washer is that after the washing happens, the water dries up and there are mild scales on the head light and the body area around the head light. If there is a way to disable the headlight washer, I would definitely do that.
Old 1st May 2014, 00:16   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe 2014 model Jetta has the hardware for this feature and just requires enabling in VCDS. Would it be possible for you to visit the showroom and check the test drive car to confirm if this feature is there? And also ask the dealer how this can be enabled?
The dealer said it cannot be activated. I shall definitely check the test car once again. I called up the VW helpline to find out about this, They directed me to a service center where the staff were not available (Elections/Voting). I was under a blind belief that it can be activated in the first service.
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2014, 00:21   #95
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Jetta! Its a lovely car and I wish you have a great ownershipe experience

Quote:
The dealer said it cannot be activated. I shall definitely check the test car once again. I called up the VW helpline to find out about this, They directed me to a service center where the staff were not available (Elections/Voting). I was under a blind belief that it can be activated in the first service.
Search on the international VW forums about this and if it can be enabled through VCDS,if possible contact either Pete's or Vagtune to see if they can help you on this.

VW dealers are quite lazy and their helpline would be the last place to call at when you need such help,they're good for other stuff though.
shashank.nk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2014, 01:43   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post

Search on the international VW forums about this and if it can be enabled through VCDS,if possible contact either Pete's or Vagtune to see if they can help you

I have been going through the forums since a day or two, I couldn't find the wing mirror VCD code. All the other VCD mods are already active on the 2014 Jetta. The mirrors do fold using the key fob, found this video

Old 1st May 2014, 03:04   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been going through the forums since a day or two, I couldn't find the wing mirror VCD code. All the other VCD mods are already active on the 2014 Jetta. The mirrors do fold using the key fob, found this video
After looking at the video, I can easily say autofold function would need to be activated by VAS machine at any VW workshop.

Just like in Vento, VW never said anything about auto lock at speed above 15 Kmph option. Later on a bhpian discovered it on a Vento, which let to a discovery that there is auto lock function in Vento when speed goes above 15 Kmph.

It led to a Pandora box wherein we also found following
1. Auto unlock on removal of key from ignition
2. Auto boot lock at speed above 5 Kmph
3. Turning on/off sound of locking car via remote.

I would suggest fellow Jetta owners to have your car connected to a VW VAS machine and see variety of features which can be activated. VW never advertises them though many small but useful features can be activated by just click of a button on VAS machine.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2014, 06:21   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
I would suggest fellow Jetta owners to have your car connected to a VW VAS machine and see variety of features which can be activated. VW never advertises them though many small but useful features can be activated by just click of a button on VAS machine.
But where to get it done in Bangalore? Any idea?

I am also desperately willing to get it done...
Old 1st May 2014, 08:33   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post

You can get in touch with fellow member robimahanta. I think he has a VAG com which he uses for his polo GT TSi.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2014, 11:49   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure the Indian Jetta (EU spec,correct me if wrong) has this as an option to be enabled ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post

Since you're in bangalore,why not try VW rajajinagar. They had (over) enthusiastically enabled honk on lock/unlock in my Polo when all i'd asked was for auto lock and unlock These guys should be able to help you out I think,if not like Vidyut mentioned other bhpians with vcds cable.
Old 1st May 2014, 11:58   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure the Indian Jetta (EU spec,correct me if wrong) has this as an option to be enabled ?
I think so yes. Anyway i plan to visit the workshop tomorrow and get it activated. So will update accordingly.
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 09:10   #102
Team-BHP Support

Fuel Efficiency and Handling of the Jetta

Had a chance to drive the car from Coimbatore to Mysore and back. This was a great opportunity to test the fuel efficiency and handling of the car.

The total distance was around 215km, and for the onward trip got a overall FE of 18.6kmpl.

The first section of the journey was around 85km which was through 2 lane highway till Bannari, and got an FE of 23.8kmpl for this stretch. I extensively used cruise control at 90 to 95kmpl in this stretch. As it was very early in the morning, there was no traffic.
Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-section1.jpg

After this followed the ghat section of about 25km with 27 hairpin bends, and the FE dropped to 18.3kmpl. Driving through the hairpin bends was absolute fun. D mode was more than enough for this section. The quick gear shifts and the power of the engine is just addictive!!
Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-section2.jpg

The last section was 105km which included 25km of winding roads through the forests, and 80 km of plain roads (with about 25km of very rough roads) After this section, the FE improved to 18.6kmpl. In the rough roads, set the cruise control to 60kmph and the multi link suspension absorbed the rough roads with aplomb!
Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-section3.jpg

The return trip was still better. Got an overall FE of 21.6kmpl on the return. While returning in the ghat section, I used manual mode with paddle shifts. Covered the section in 2nd and 3rd and 4th gears. Just took my foot off the accelerator and used the right gear and engine braking to maintain correct speed.

A few observations:
  • It took 4 hours to cover the 220km distance (used to be 4 hours and 45 minutes with the Getz). There was no high speeds involved. Most of the time, I was cruising at 90 to 95, and only on a couple of occasions on long stretches, crossed 100kmph. As the car took most of the curves at cruising speeds (with Getz, I had to brake and reduce the speed to 50kmph to take these curves), this greatly improved the average speed.
  • There was one stretch of road that was under construction and I had to go at a very slow speed of 20kmph. Just out of curiosity, I engaged the cruise control, and to my surprise cruise got activated. The car took the complete stretch in 2nd gear at a constant 20kmph. So, cruise control does not require a minimum of 40kmph.
  • In auto mode, 1st gear is never engaged. But in manual mode, at crawling speeds, 1st gear is automatically engaged. Not sure what is the reason for this behavior. Does the car slip the clutch in 2nd gear while in auto mode?

Quote:
To either automatically fold/unfold during lock/unlock, or to fold/unfold using keyfob, there needs to be a relay which will imitate the action of the mirror folding switch (in the ORVM control joystick). This relay needs to be enabled or disabled through the system CAN bus. If this relay is present in the Jetta, then this can be activated by VCDS. If you have seen this option present in the demo car, then most probably the hardware is present and VCDS mod should be possible. Looking forward to your update after checking with the workshop.
Old 2nd May 2014, 11:57   #103
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fuel Efficiency and Handling of the Jetta

Quote:
Had a chance to drive the car from Coimbatore to Mysore and back. This was a great opportunity to test the fuel efficiency and handling of the car.
Are you sure you got the 2.0tdi with your Jetta ?!

That's some phenomenal figures for a car which makes 140bhp and with the driving conditions you've mentioned. And to think of it, your car hasn't even done 10k kms by when the engine fully opens up. The best I managed on the 1.2tdi was 22.5.
shashank.nk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2014, 15:45   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Are you sure you got the 2.0tdi with your Jetta ?!

That's some phenomenal figures for a car which makes 140bhp and with the driving conditions you've mentioned. And to think of it, your car hasn't even done 10k kms by when the engine fully opens up. The best I managed on the 1.2tdi was 22.5.
I did check once again, and the engine inside is indeed a 2.0tdi

Even I am amazed with the FE for the engine size and the roads. On flat, 4 lane highways, 24kmpl should be easily achievable. Never have seen any thing above 16kmpl with my Getz. Now I have no regrets having missed the Octavia!
Old 4th May 2014, 11:03   #105
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fuel Efficiency and Handling of the Jetta

Quote:

The total distance was around 215km, and for the onward trip got a overall FE of 18.6kmpl.

The first section of the journey was around 85km which was through 2 lane highway till Bannari, and got an FE of 23.8kmpl for this stretch. I extensively used cruise control at 90 to 95kmpl in this stretch.

After this followed the ghat section of about 25km with 27 hairpin bends, and the FE dropped to 18.3kmpl.

The last section was 105km which included 25km of winding roads through the forests, and 80 km of plain roads (with about 25km of very rough roads) After this section, the FE improved to 18.6kmpl. In the rough roads, set the cruise control to 60kmph and the multi link suspension absorbed the rough roads with aplomb!

The return trip was still better. Got an overall FE of 21.6kmpl on the return. While returning in the ghat section, I used manual mode with paddle shifts. Covered the section in 2nd and 3rd and 4th gears. Just took my foot off the accelerator and used the right gear and engine braking to maintain correct speed.
This data does not surprise me at all.. In fact there is a marginal difference between the FE I was getting in my Polo - Add to it, general maintainence cost is also not much of a difference! I am enjoying!!

Right now, I am on a trip to Cochin; Bangalore - Waynad - Guruvayur - Cochin - Thirupur - Bangalore; Will be back to Bangalore tomorrow.

Had a bad incident in Cochin: In a heavily crowded street of Cochin, a carriage-auto brushed accross the RHS fender and the RHS EORVM of my "standing still" Jetta.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks