Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2014, 16:55   #46
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!

Nice to see a review of my favourite D segment sedan! Congratulations and I wish you many years of fuss-free, enjoyable ownership. My brother's Jetta has completed about 30,000 kms in 2 years and not a bulb has gone out. Fingers crossed, here's hoping the long-term reliability is strong.

Glad that my posts on Euro diesels helped you. German diesels are way superior for Indian conditions; they're fast, efficient, robust and fetch twice the resale.

A review so detailed & comprehensive, it went straight to our homepage. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Drive safe!
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 17:07   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
...But then with my usage, I would never be able to get a high performance car if I looked at the financial aspect. So, I decided to take the hit on the economy and pay up more for the pleasure of driving. After all, you only live once
Couldn't agree more. BTW, what I meant was that with technology improving the way it is and the Indian auto market hotting up, you may be tempted to go for an upgrade without fully exploiting your Jetta(considering the estimated 7 k km annual usage).
Quote:
Based on what I have read about CVTs, ... Hope this gives you the right picture.
Thanks a ton - that was very informative.
Quote:
Based on what I have read about CVTs, ... CVT cars will be like driving Kinetic Hondas!! I may be totally wrong there.
Careful! You may end up earning the wrath of a whole lot of people . How about checking out one of the latest CVTs in a mid size car and sharing your opinion on how it stacks up against a DSG?
Thanks a ton.
Rakkum13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 17:19   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Congratulations graaja
Very well narrated review & excellent pictures there, thanks.

Best thing I liked is your selection process, you have been patient & thorough in choosing the right car.
Wishing you many happy miles ahead.

Drive safe.
Thank you for the wishes, kind words and compliments, S.MJet. I did spend days after days late night reading reviews here in the forum. I was so obsessed with the car selection that any conversation my wife (not only wife, friends too) initiated naturally deviated towards cars. She is the happiest person now as the ordeal is over for her. In fact, more than me, she grabbed the opportunity of buying the Jetta, not wanting to undergo another 3 months of torture as I wait for the delivery of Octavia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3241081

Any update on these 3 black switches on the roof panel?
No Chethan. I have not looked into this yet. Will check the manual, try it out and update.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 17:41   #49
Senior - BHPian

graaja, congrats on the Jetta and we to are a proud owner of Jetta 2.0L CR TDI (AT) Highline - Platinum Grey and the colour is superb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
I have already booked it. I have to collect the warranty booklet when I visit Mysore next time...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3241081

Any update on these 3 black switches on the roof panel?
Chetan, these buttons are made only for use in German for the service and on road help.

Last edited by gowda79 : 9th April 2014 at 17:42.
gowda79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 18:53   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Chetan, these buttons are made only for use in German for the service and on road help.
These buttons are functional here, except that when pressed, an international number is dialed.

It must be possible to change these numbers somehow. May be through VAG-COM....?

This is a nice feature to have in case of an emergency. It feels so dumb that it does not work, even though necessary hardware is in place..

I am very much interested to know, if these number can be changed....
Old 9th April 2014, 19:31   #51
BHPian

Re: Part-1 I need a car with a bigger boot – The booking of the Honda City

Quote:
As I was waiting for the pricing and features to be announced, the official TBHP review came up on December 13th. I was disappointed by the following:
  • CVT gearbox and the rubber banding effect
  • Skinny tires and ugly alloys
  • Asymmetrical placement of the HU and the parking lights. This in my mind spoilt the total look of the dashboard. Earlier generation City with the Caska HU looked great compared to the new one
  • Blatant cost cutting measures like the naked boot lid with the exposed wires

This was the part that made me go in for my Swift Dzire. TBHP's excellent review actually helped me in taking a decision.

TBHP Rocks!!
gabrielthomas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 20:31   #52
BHPian

Wonderful pictures and a truly informative review. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it. The colour looks stunning in the pictures. Wishing you many happy journeys in your new Jetta!
slackyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 21:05   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nice to see a review of my favourite D segment sedan! Congratulations and I wish you many years of fuss-free, enjoyable ownership. My brother's Jetta has completed about 30,000 kms in 2 years and not a bulb has gone out. Fingers crossed, here's hoping the long-term reliability is strong.
Thank you very much for the kind wishes GTO! It is really very encouraging to hear about your brother's Jetta running reliably after 30,000km. Hope my Jetta gives the same reliable service too. Fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A review so detailed & comprehensive, it went straight to our homepage. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
That is a very kind gesture GTO! I feel honored! Thank you once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakkum13 View Post
Couldn't agree more. BTW, what I meant was that with technology improving the way it is and the Indian auto market hotting up, you may be tempted to go for an upgrade without fully exploiting your Jetta(considering the estimated 7 k km annual usage).
Sorry about the misunderstanding. You are very correct about the technology explosion. In another 2 years, I am sure there are going to be many cars with much more advanced technology that I will definitely feel tempted to upgrade soon. But I have been following a very strict upgrade policy right from cell phones, cameras and TVs not to upgrade unless the gadget gives you trouble, I am sure to follow this with the car as well! Also, I have my wife who is like a RPM limiter in a car. She would never allow me to do that

Quote:
Careful! You may end up earning the wrath of a whole lot of people . How about checking out one of the latest CVTs in a mid size car and sharing your opinion on how it stacks up against a DSG?
Thanks a ton.
Oops. Never meant to offend Kinetic Honda lovers. Like you suggested, I believe the only way to get out of the mindset is to test drive a car with a CVT gear box and form a first hand opinion. I will definitely do this soon, maybe with Honda City CVT itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
graaja, congrats on the Jetta and we to are a proud owner of Jetta 2.0L CR TDI (AT) Highline - Platinum Grey and the colour is superb.
Thank you very much for the wishes Raghu! Great to know that both of us own the same color. Wishing you tens of thousands of trouble free, safe and fun filled ownership experience. Looking forward to see your ownership thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackyboy View Post
Wonderful pictures and a truly informative review. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it. The colour looks stunning in the pictures. Wishing you many happy journeys in your new Jetta!
Thank you very much for the wishes and kind words, slackboy!
Old 10th April 2014, 14:46   #54
BHPian

Congrats on the awesome buy Graaja.

I love this car and the colour is just fab. I test drove the pre facelift model and if I had the money I would have booked it the same day. It is a smooth car to drive and it really masks the speed and diesel clatter.

Wishing you many a happy miles and a fantastic ownership experience for years to come.
bruiser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 14:50   #55
BHPian

Congrats graaja on your latest ride. The Platinum Grey shade looks royal and elegant. Loved the review and the chapter wise segregation of the entire experience and I must confess I did not skip a single chapter (while hiding it from boss and switching tabs on my PC ) and it was an enjoyable read.

Congrats again and wishing you many happy miles of motoring bliss on your Jetta !!
Mahesh Prasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 17:02   #56
BHPian

proper cloth!!

Great review and hope you have many a mile on this beauty. I recently took delivery of my Vento Tsi and went on a highway trip to Bangalore. The stability at high speeds is very confidence inducing.

In your pic 'getting ready for delivery', i noticed that the lady is cleaning the car using what appears to be a dirty (dry?), normal cloth--not microfibre. I had the same issue when taking delivery and I had to tell the gentleman to lay off. I wouldn't want swirl marks/spider webs on my new car

That the dealers here do not do the small things well, will be my ever present grouse. All it takes is a little bit of training, discipline and professionalism.

Slightly
Another case in point is my recent experience with 3M. I had gone for their foam wash. They were very courteous, ambience was great but then again basics gone wrong. The gentlemen who cleaned my car were wearing dirty/wet clothes (the car was clean but there were finger print marks on the roof), they keep the vacum cleaner on the car to clean the car!!-- the result was 2 ugly paint peel offs. 3M has promised to make good, in fact they didnt even charge me for the PPF films. But all of this can be avoided with proper training, basic cleanliness and attention to detail.

Anyway, I nitpick. Happy motoring and keep the updates coming.
Shortsell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 17:46   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
Congrats on the awesome buy Graaja. I love this car and the colour is just fab. I test drove the pre facelift model and if I had the money I would have booked it the same day. It is a smooth car to drive and it really masks the speed and diesel clatter. Wishing you many a happy miles and a fantastic ownership experience for years to come.
Thank you very much for the wishes, bruiser. I am sure you would join the Jetta club soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahesh Prasad View Post
Congrats graaja on your latest ride. The Platinum Grey shade looks royal and elegant. Loved the review and the chapter wise segregation of the entire experience and I must confess I did not skip a single chapter (while hiding it from boss and switching tabs on my PC ) and it was an enjoyable read.

Congrats again and wishing you many happy miles of motoring bliss on your Jetta !!
Thank you very much Mahesh, for the wishes, kind words and compliments. I am really glad that you liked the review and also managed to escape the wrath of your boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortsell View Post
Great review and hope you have many a mile on this beauty. I recently took delivery of my Vento Tsi and went on a highway trip to Bangalore. The stability at high speeds is very confidence inducing.
Thank you for your wishes and kind words, Shortsell. Vento TSi is a great car. The combination of the 1.2TSi and DSG7 is superb. It is the Vento TSi which made me fall in love with German engineering, though I did not go for it in the early days because of the DSG7 concern, but found out later that all problems in the gearbox have been addressed. Enjoy the car to the fullest extent. Also, do take the extended warranty for that extra peace of mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortsell View Post
In your pic 'getting ready for delivery', i noticed that the lady is cleaning the car using what appears to be a dirty (dry?), normal cloth--not microfibre. I had the same issue when taking delivery and I had to tell the gentleman to lay off. I wouldn't want swirl marks/spider webs on my new car

That the dealers here do not do the small things well, will be my ever present grouse. All it takes is a little bit of training, discipline and professionalism.

Slightly
Another case in point is my recent experience with 3M. I had gone for their foam wash. They were very courteous, ambience was great but then again basics gone wrong. The gentlemen who cleaned my car were wearing dirty/wet clothes (the car was clean but there were finger print marks on the roof), they keep the vacum cleaner on the car to clean the car!!-- the result was 2 ugly paint peel offs. 3M has promised to make good, in fact they didnt even charge me for the PPF films. But all of this can be avoided with proper training, basic cleanliness and attention to detail.
Your observation is correct. The guys who were cleaning the cars have some old piece of cloth. However, I found that they do their jobs just fine. I have actually learnt to overlook these small things these days which has increased my peace of mind a lot.
Old 11th April 2014, 13:58   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Oops. Never meant to offend Kinetic Honda lovers.
What about the hurt caused to owners possessing cars fitted with CVT gearboxes?
Quote:
I will definitely do this soon, maybe with Honda City CVT itself.
Your feedback on this aspect would be much appreciated.

Thought you may find this interesting http://indianautosblog.com/2014/04/2...ndering-126846
Old 11th April 2014, 15:09   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What about the hurt caused to owners possessing cars fitted with CVT gearboxes?
So much for just one comment!

CVT's are known for rubber-band effect. DSG's are known for quick / crisp shifts.. Recent CVT's are a lot better..

OT: I had an "Avanti Gerelli" moped with a Variable / Automatic transmission, way back in 1987... Even at a slightest hint of an incline, transmission used to get over worked... Off course, it had another issue of carrying me..
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 20:42   #60

Re: Part – 4 A Platinum Grey Jetta 2.0TDI AT HL Comes Home

Booked a Grey 2.0 DSG as well. Booked it last Friday and still waiting for it to be delivered. SE says the car has been in transit since Monday, and might take a few more days to get here.
But ever since i've booked it, cant stop drooling on the pics uploaded by the other members.

Thanks graaja for this beautiful post and pics.

Quote:

The cost worked out to 23.1L with registration and regular insurance. The dealer offered me a deal where I paid 23.18L and got the “Drive Assure Elite” cover which includes zero depreciation insurance and also covers the alloys and other damages like rats chewing the wires etc. The effective savings in insurance was around 23K. As the car is fully loaded, the only accessory I got free was the mats.
And 23.8L was quite a price, i got a pretty good deal in Delhi for almost 21L inclusive of all the discounts + 0 depreciation insurance (inclusive of the excise discount + exchange bonus) but not included in this cost is the 2 year extended warranty.
Sidkapur30 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed