Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2015, 11:11   #226
Team-BHP Support

re: Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Is that LED foot well lighting in the second last pic?

I did not know Jetta had footwell lights.
+1 to Chethan. That was sunlight streak from driver side door Not a footwell light.
Old 10th August 2015, 18:43   #227
Team-BHP Support

20000 KM Update:

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-20000km.jpg

The Jetta crossed the 20000 KM milestone. The performance is mind blowing as usual. Even after 16 months, I am still finding excuses to take it out on the highway

A couple of niggles.

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-protruding-plastic.jpg

A plastic part on the dash has popped out (marked red in the above picture) and is protruding above the dash. This is very distracting while driving.

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-protuding-plastic-close-up.jpg

This is a close-up picture of the part taken out. Two of the plastic clips have broken. Totally surprised how these could break on a part that doesn't get touched. I am planning to put a piece of scotch tape to hold it in place and will get it checked by the dealer when I get time. Hope they replace this under warranty.

The second is with the seat. I was driving to Mysore a couple of days back. The road to Sathyamangalam, and the road from Hasanur to Chamrajnagar is full of curves and I love to throw the Jetta round these corners. During a few of these corners, I felt the seat creak. Not sure if this was from the cushion part of the seat or the seat rail. Has anyone observed creaks in the seat while taking a corner?

One last issue. A couple of weeks back, while I was reversing the car (it was totally dark), I was paying attention to the reverse parking display on the HU. It was totally clear on the screen, and suddenly I heard this crash - still nothing on the reverse parking display. Stopped the car, got out and checked. The car had rubbed against the concrete base of a lamp post (the lamp was not on). The concrete base was too low for the parking sensors to pick up, but high enough to scratch the bumper. This is going to require a repaint. But I have decided to live with this for now.

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-scratch.jpg

Had there been a reverse parking camera, I would have seen this on the screen. Is it possible to integrate reverse parking into the existing HU? I saw a few reverse parking camera units in AliExpress that sit in the place of the number plate LED lamp. But I am not sure if the RCD510 HU supports reverse parking camera, and what happens to warranty. Has anyone implemented reverse parking camera in their Jetta?

Last edited by graaja : 10th August 2015 at 18:49.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 19:42   #228
Senior - BHPian

Hello graaja, Good to see you clocked the 20k mark, I too am about to touch the 20k mark probably near my jet's first year birthday! The plastic part had popped out for me as well and was replaced under warranty, And yes it was very annoying.

About the RCD 510, We can surely install a camera, Its compatible ( After the installation it has to be activated via VCD's as well) I was too thinking about getting the cameras available on ali express but i am still holding up since i might just install a new HU itself. Also looking at the damages it seems the lamp post had sharp edges which was pretty low for the sensors to detect, But least the scratches dont look that bad, Should be even less visible after a polish near that area. Also i have not observed any creaks while cornering.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 10:28   #229
BHPian

Hello graaja,
good to see you enjoying the jet. I would like to know your review on Michelin P3ST at 20000 kms? did you feel any difference in ride quality or cabin noise (increased) etc? How are they holding up?
Mission_PGPX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 10:50   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
20000 KM Update:

The Jetta crossed the 20000 KM milestone. The performance is mind blowing as usual. Even after 16 months, I am still finding excuses to take it out on the highway

....Has anyone observed creaks in the seat while taking a corner?
Congrats on crossing 20k! I'm approaching 21k myself and like you, I too look for excuses to take her out for a spin.

I'm lucky in that the little device you showed hasn't popped out on my car yet, but I have been living with an annoying rattle from the armrest which comes up over rough roads. I believe the little plastic piece at dead center below the lid is a bit loose, and I don't know what can be done about it short of replacing the whole damn thing, so I'm living with it.

Sad to hear of the scratch on your jet. Get it done up at some point, but living with it for now is no issue. It's part and parcel of living with a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
About the RCD 510, We can surely install a camera, Its compatible ( After the installation it has to be activated via VCD's as well) I was too thinking about getting the cameras available on ali express
Tanveer, I'd be keen on adding a reverse camera too. Got a link so I can see the costs? Also, what about the install? Any idea who could get it done? I imagine we'll have to take it to a VW authorized dealer, but they wouldn't really be keen to help out, would they?
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 11:08   #231
Team-BHP Support

Guys, but does the Bosch RCD 510 installed in the Jetta have the 26-pin RVC connector at the rear? I don't think so.

Name:  IMG_5230.png
Views: 1889
Size:  752.5 KB

Please reconfirm that.

PS: I can't see any Indian flags in the Aliexpress link feedback either. Usually if a link has our flag on the feedback, he/she has purchased that item and installed it. One way to know if the thing works here.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th August 2015 at 11:13.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 11:58   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post

Tanveer, I'd be keen on adding a reverse camera too. Got a link so I can see the costs? Also, what about the install? Any idea who could get it done? I imagine we'll have to take it to a VW authorized dealer, but they wouldn't really be keen to help out, would they?
Hello karan, I am too planning to get it for myself, Price should be around 5-6k with free shipping which would take around 30 days for delivery. I really don't think VW authorized dealer would entertain any such requests. I am going to wagenworks as soon as i get some free time to install the ESP off switch, Ill have a talk with them regarding this as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Guys, but does the Bosch RCD 510 installed in the Jetta have the 26-pin RVC connector at the rear? I don't think so.

Please reconfirm that.

PS: I can't see any Indian flags in the Aliexpress link feedback either. Usually if a link has our flag on the feedback, he/she has purchased that item and installed it. One way to know if the thing works here.
Hello, Thanks for pointing that out, I will get our RCD system checked before we place an order.

Also product link http://www.aliexpress.com/item/VW-RG...986149293.html

Install method is very much straight forward.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 12:12   #233
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Install method is very much straight forward.
Indeed, its a very straight forward installation. Here is a link on it that describes it in detail with snaps and a simple wiring diagram - VW Vortex - Jetta/GLI VI : Back-Up Camera trunk handle DIY
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 13:14   #234
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
Hello graaja,
good to see you enjoying the jet. I would like to know your review on Michelin P3ST at 20000 kms? did you feel any difference in ride quality or cabin noise (increased) etc? How are they holding up?
Hi Mission_PGPX, the Michelin P3STs are holding up very well. I have not felt any increase in cabin noise or lack or ride quality yet. I feel they are as grippy and silent as they were when new.

It is however possible that the noise has increased, but I have not noticed as it would have increased gradually. Will know this only when I change the tires.

Quote:
About the RCD 510, We can surely install a camera, Its compatible ( After the installation it has to be activated via VCD's as well)...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Please reconfirm that.
Thanks for the picture Gannu.

Tanveer, Karan, As Gannu has mentioned, to install the reverse camera, the HU should have the RVC connector. I had learnt this much from reading various DIY threads (including Gannu's thread). But what I could not definitively find out was if the RCD510 in the Indian Jetta has this connector. So, today, at last I mustered up enough courage to do a KIY (Know It Yourself) job. Opened up the trim around the HU, removed the four screws and slid out the HU. Alas, the system does not have the RVC connector. There goes my (I guess yours too, unless some of the RCD510's are from a different vendor with RVC connector) reverse camera plan out of the window :(

If it comes to changing the HU for the reverse camera, I would rather live with the optical parking system, and give priority to 215 tires and Bilstein suspensions.

Quote:
The plastic part had popped out for me as well and was replaced under warranty, And yes it was very annoying.
Thanks for the info Tanveer. That sounds very promising. I will visit the dealer soon and ask them to replace the sensor.

Last edited by graaja : 11th August 2015 at 13:28.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 13:30   #235
BHPian

Ouch, that's a bad dent.

More on that plastic popping out, I recently test drove the Jetta AT. Came back happy with the engine and other aspects, but me and my dad were hugely disappointed by the amount of rattling.

The TD car from Ramani Coimbatore had done 25K kms only. It was surprising to see so much rattles. My friend bought one 12 months ago and his car was rattling from day one. His car has now run 7K kms and the noise seems to have only increased.

Can any current owners confirm that this is a common issue among Jettas?
br_876 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 16:06   #236
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by br_876 View Post
Ouch, that's a bad dent.

More on that plastic popping out, I recently test drove the Jetta AT. Came back happy with the engine and other aspects, but me and my dad were hugely disappointed by the amount of rattling.

The TD car from Ramani Coimbatore had done 25K kms only. It was surprising to see so much rattles. My friend bought one 12 months ago and his car was rattling from day one. His car has now run 7K kms and the noise seems to have only increased.

Can any current owners confirm that this is a common issue among Jettas?
Except for that plastic part, I have not experienced any rattles in the car to-date. But again I maybe wrong. When I get into the car and start enjoying that powerful engine and buttersmooth gear box, I forget about everything else

I saw "iliketurtles" mentioning a few posts back about a rattle in the center arm-rest which he has learnt to live with.
Old 11th August 2015, 16:15   #237
Senior - BHPian

My experience: Nothing specific but not a silent cabin either. NCT5's does a good job of masking all other noise .
Chethan B G is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 18:01   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by br_876 View Post
I recently test drove the Jetta AT, me and my dad were hugely disappointed by the amount of rattling.

It was surprising to see so much rattles. Can any current owners confirm that this is a common issue among Jettas?
I don't think rattling in and of itself is a common issue. This arm-rest issue is something that annoys me, I don't think anyone else with a Jetta on this forum experiences it (as far as I know). Other than that, I have no rattles to report with the car at almost 21k.

If this arm-rest thing gets too much for me, I'll investigate exactly how to fix this issue.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 19:35   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think rattling in and of itself is a common issue. This arm-rest issue is something that annoys me, I don't think anyone else with a Jetta on this forum experiences it (as far as I know). Other than that, I have no rattles to report with the car at almost 21k.

If this arm-rest thing gets too much for me, I'll investigate exactly how to fix this issue.
Arm-rest has never troubled me. How can it make noise when it is under the weight of your hand.. Strange.?

Maybe, you have kept something inside that is creating the issue.. Coins?
Old 11th August 2015, 19:43   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on crossing 20k! I'm approaching 21k myself and like you, I too look for excuses to take her out for a spin.

I'm lucky in that the little device you showed hasn't popped out on my car yet, but I have been living with an annoying rattle from the armrest which comes up over rough roads. I believe the little plastic piece at dead center below the lid is a bit loose, and I don't know what can be done about it short of replacing the whole damn thing, so I'm living with it.
I also am facing the issue with the armrest. Having been living with it for about one year now. I had used some cellotape to keep it from rattling and it has helped. Since nobody will see that part anyway, I am okay for now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks