Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2014, 09:51   #16
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner 4X2 MT: Miles to go before, but I have promises to keep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Launch control Eh?!

I appreciate your reply and the maturity!

One question:

How does the hood scoop fare in city driving? Does it affect visibility/judging?

Anurag.
Hi Anurag,

Well see it for yourself. The below photograph is taken from Midway seat height setting for the driver. The setting would be typical for a 5' 8" guy in city driving.

Toyota Fortuner 4X2 MT: Miles to go before, but I have promises to keep-img2014042400121.jpg

Its not just the scoop but the entire hood with scoop comes in the view. Corner Judgment is tricky but I do end up keeping sufficient front spacing as a result of the hood obstruction.

Corner & side Judgment is more of a problem that the front in a Fort and this is the reason, you have corner mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Many congratulations Wanderers for the Fortuner.
Wish you many happy miles with the Fortuner and would love to go through your TL in the future.
Enjoy your ride and drive safe.
Hi Sommos,

Thanks a lot for your wishes. I am also keen to start my TL as soon as it comes.
Wanderers is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 08:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hi Wanderers,
The tribe grows !
Congratulations - though I am just a few months late in doing so. But then you were a few months late in announcing so.
Great vehicle you've got yourself. Looks delightfully fresh and sparkling.
And not to worry too much about not having a 4x4. This creature of yours will do 90%+ of all what the 4X4 does, Just because we have a 4X4 we go around looking for trouble - that's about it, nothing else. 95% of the time, or more, the 4X4 is unused.
Great report and snaps. Look forward to your continued adventures and updates - with of course lots of snaps !
Good luck.
Guderian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 14:28   #18
BHPian

All set to roll & kick-start the upcoming Summer holidays !

We thought it would be good Idea to see the HOT Election results unfolding from a real COOL place.

Everything planned for a 4 days trip to Mussoorie & Rishikesh starting middle of next week.

Hotel- Checked
Route-Checked
Sight-Checked
Tire Pressure: Checked
Coolant: Checked

Food- Real-time
Fuel-later

Expect a picture laden travelogue. MUSSOORIE ! Here I Come
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Fortuner 4X2 MT: Miles to go before, but I have promises to keep-dhanaulti2.jpg  

Last edited by Wanderers : 9th May 2014 at 14:45.
Old 13th May 2014, 11:56   #19
BHPian

Congratulations buddy although I am late but nevertheless. I too have booked a 4x4. Hope to get it soon. Will start a thread on my ownership experience once I get the delivery, till that time I will relish threads like yours and from others

What accessories did you go for or plan to go for?
You did not go for the front bull guard?
Does the cladding serve any purpose other that cosmetics?
Did you consider the fender mirror? Does it help?

Can you point me to the pre delivery inspection list?
TorquePeedo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 13:41   #20
BHPian

Hi TorquePeedo

Thanks for your warm wish & wait to wish you the same. I saw the 2014 models of Fortuner, while the only visible change is the interior color, but on close look you will notice that panel gaps, for example between Front Bumper & Headlights have changed for better. Its now matched end to end. I am sure there would be some other improvements as well.

Regarding Accessories,
I have minimum like 3G Mats, Chrome exhaust & Rear Bumper protection apart from side cladding. In future I may go for Amplifier+ Woofer.

Front Bull Guard
Personal Choice, I did not like it as the guards are still old design & looks better on Classic Fortuner Models. You can go for Half size front Guard.

In all case please remember that Front Bumper Guard does not protect you on the corners (unless you go for Chrome bull bars, which I find further worse- lookwise)

Cladding
It does serve the purpose of protecting your doors when you open & some other car is nearby. It is not called for protection when someone opens the door of car next to you as his/her door will touch your side foot-rest only.
So you may decide it for its looks or protection. As such its very costly. (Rs 26K plus)

Fender Mirror

Please get one, if you would be driving a SUV or large car for first time. I am using a blind mirror attached to left side rear view mirror but do feel that I should get one fender mirror as well.

For Pre-delivery inspection list, I request you to visit Heinz Guderian Fortuner ownership thread. This should serve you like Bible & ready guide for everything on your 4X4 Fortuner. I cannot add or suggest any better.

Also for Accessories, please visit getsurya Fortuner Thread, He has the best & you would like to have many of them.

Last edited by Wanderers : 13th May 2014 at 13:44.
Old 13th May 2014, 16:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Hi TorquePeedo

Thanks for your warm wish & wait to wish you the same. I saw the 2014 models of Fortuner, while the only visible change is the interior color, but on close look you will notice that panel gaps, for example between Front Bumper & Headlights have changed for better. Its now matched end to end. I am sure there would be some other improvements as well.

Regarding Accessories,
I have minimum like 3G Mats, Chrome exhaust & Rear Bumper protection apart from side cladding. In future I may go for Amplifier+ Woofer.

Front Bull Guard
Personal Choice, I did not like it as the guards are still old design & looks better on Classic Fortuner Models. You can go for Half size front Guard.

In all case please remember that Front Bumper Guard does not protect you on the corners (unless you go for Chrome bull bars, which I find further worse- lookwise)

Cladding
It does serve the purpose of protecting your doors when you open & some other car is nearby. It is not called for protection when someone opens the door of car next to you as his/her door will touch your side foot-rest only.
So you may decide it for its looks or protection. As such its very costly. (Rs 26K plus)

Fender Mirror

Please get one, if you would be driving a SUV or large car for first time. I am using a blind mirror attached to left side rear view mirror but do feel that I should get one fender mirror as well.

For Pre-delivery inspection list, I request you to visit Heinz Guderian Fortuner ownership thread. This should serve you like Bible & ready guide for everything on your 4X4 Fortuner. I cannot add or suggest any better.

Also for Accessories, please visit getsurya Fortuner Thread, He has the best & you would like to have many of them.
Thanks. Did you also look for navigation options with the same head unit?
Old 3rd June 2014, 13:04   #22
BHPian

Last week went for 10000 KM or 1 year service even though my car has not reached any of the two milestones.
I had returned from Mussoorie drive and car needed a cleaning. Also I would be travelling when my car would complete any of above two milestones, hence went ahead with the service. Third and the last of the three free services.

Job Done

Engine Oil Synthetic

Toyota do not use flushing fluid like others and directly changed the Oil from Mineral to synthetic. I hope it right.
I kept on asking for flushing fluid but they do have such practice.
Any thought, most welcome.

I did not had any option to choose the Synthetic Oil as Toyota India use self branded oils made by company called Savita, Mumbai (They make Savsol for general market).
They provide all Oils to Toyota.
Any feedback on quality & product ?

Oil filter

Propeller shaft greasing.

Brake check
The Service guy opened only one wheel and concluded that others need not be inspected, time cutting. I did not insist as at 8200 KM, it would not require one nor i had any complain. sometime its best not to touch things unnecessarily.
Brake oil topped.

I insisted for all toppings up to Factory filled level marked by Marker Pen

Left-Front Window
Run Channel cleaner sprayed.

Wheel Alignment & Rotation

I had no problem with alignment and did not feel necessary to fiddle with it. Wheel Rotation would be taken care during 15000 KM Service. Just checked the tyre pressure in all 5 tyres.

Total Cost: Rs 6458

Please see the bill below for break-up
Toyota Fortuner 4X2 MT: Miles to go before, but I have promises to keep-10k-service.jpg

Got car serviced under Express Maintenance (EM) and got delivery in little over an hour. Washing was extra ordinary. Car was polished all around including the wheels.

My Car moved around with RED CAP (placed on roof) tagged as PEM (Privileged & Express Maintenance) and got more attention than the owner (me)
Old 5th June 2014, 16:27   #23
BHPian

Congratulations Wanderers on your car although I am late to wish you. I noticed that you had a Noida number and was wondering if you could answer few of my queries. I am also awaiting the delivery of my fortuner.

1. Did you look for any navigation plugin option with the same HU?
2. Did you get the vehicle tracking device for additional security?
3. Did you consider any other security device like gear lock etc?
4. Do these vehicles need to be broken in or can they be taken straight to the highway from showroom?
5. Since you also have a super white color I wanted to know what do you use for cleaning? Do you get it cleaned from the regular cleaner guy or do it yourself with the plethora of products available?. Which
6. Which service center do you go to in Noida?

Cheers,

Last edited by TorquePeedo : 5th June 2014 at 16:48. Reason: added another line
Old 5th June 2014, 17:08   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
I did not had any option to choose the Synthetic Oil as Toyota India use self branded oils made by company called Savita, Mumbai (They make Savsol for general market). They provide all Oils to Toyota. Any feedback on quality & product ?
Nothing to worry buddy, Relax.

Toyota would have done enough R&D for their engines to be compatible with this oil manufacturer and if it meets the requirements laid out then no worries.

What is the service interval for the Fortuner? 5K or 10K? Reason: The bill mentions 5K or 6 months whichever is earlier.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 17:19   #25
BHPian

Quote:
What is the service interval for the Fortuner? 5K or 10K? Reason: The bill mentions 5K or 6 months whichever is earlier.

Anurag.
The service interval for the fortuner is 5k
Old 5th June 2014, 17:22   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorquePeedo View Post

The service interval for the fortuner is 5k
Oh. That's surprising. Why is that they want vehicles serviced every 5K rather than 10K kms.

Anurag.
Old 6th June 2014, 12:35   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations Wanderers on your car although I am late to wish you. I noticed that you had a Noida number and was wondering if you could answer few of my queries. I am also awaiting the delivery of my fortuner.

1. Did you look for any navigation plugin option with the same HU?

Cheers,
Good to know that you are buying a Fortuner. It's worth the wait. But make sure you get it by June or early as price may change post Budget.
Plugin option not available.

I did explore OEM head unit with Navigation but did not buy. Here is the link. Its Chinese, imported by South African and the shape is identical. It's costly though.

http://www.stopshop.co.za/buy-toyota...oth-radio.html

Quote:
2. Did you get the vehicle tracking device for additional security?

Cheers,
Its cost 10K from Toyota dealer and you would speed around 120 per month after 6 months for Airtel SIM Number. I did not go for it but its a good item.

Quote:
3. Did you consider any other security device like gear lock etc?

Cheers,
No but would consider gearlock in near future.

Quote:
4. Do these vehicles need to be broken in or can they be taken straight to the highway from showroom?

Cheers,
Yes. First 600 KM should be driven with cool head & light foot. There is no speed limit but limit it below 100-120 km/h. Sudden Braking a strict No-No.

Yes they can be taken straight to highway subject to above driving condition.

Its more important to vary the speed and change gears frequently. Idea is not to drive at constant speed for long time, whether it is 50 or 100 Km/h do not matter. It's more important the vary the speed & change gears as required.

Quote:
5. Since you also have a super white color I wanted to know what do you use for cleaning? Do you get it cleaned from the regular cleaner guy or do it yourself with the plethora of products available?. Which

Cheers,
I have asked the cleaning boy to limit the proper cleaning to once a week.
I provide him with RO water as Noida water in very hard & corrodes edges & corners no matter what treatment you have done. I use Amway car cleaning Shampoo. No water mark

Once in 45-50 days or after some long trip, I get it washed at some washing center (near sector 41 Petrol Pump) and use F1 Carnauba Wax. This enables dry wipe, when the car is dirty and last at least 2 weeks without water.

You can choose any cleaning product & wax just remember, its should be good for non-metallic surface.
(search Team-BHP for the Car Cleaning & wax thread)

Quote:
6. Which service center do you go to in Noida?

Cheers,
Espirit, Sector 8.

Last edited by Wanderers : 6th June 2014 at 12:41.
Old 24th June 2014, 17:30   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Oh. That's surprising. Why is that they want vehicles serviced every 5K rather than 10K kms.

Anurag.
I was either wrong or the service interval has changed. Now it is mentioned as 1000 kms or 1 month, 10000 kms or 1 yr, 20000 kms or 2 yrs and then subsequent is every 10000 kms or a year
Old 25th June 2014, 09:29   #29
BHPian

Quote:
I was either wrong or the service interval has changed. Now it is mentioned as 1000 kms or 1 month, 10000 kms or 1 yr, 20000 kms or 2 yrs and then subsequent is every 10000 kms or a year
Well nothing has changed.

As per the Owner Manual, the table containing service check list is made for interval of 10000 KM or 1 yr except the First one, which is 1000 Km or 1 month.

However there is another guideline, which says that Fortuner need service at every 5000 KM or 6 months. I will check the page No in the Manual and revert.

The half-yearly service interval do not have any Replace items and may be the reason it is not appearing in the table.
Old 7th July 2014, 10:33   #30
BHPian

Fellow BHPians,

Completed 1st year with the Car, so I went ahead & completed two most Important things required to keep driving my car

Insurance:

Renewed the Car Insurance with the existing Insurance provider.
Well I had purchased the new policy online with heavy discount, directly from Head office and this time again I negotiate very hard & further brought down the premium.

Original IDV: 22 Lakhs
Premium (1st Year): 45.5K

Renewed IDV: 20 Lakhs
Premium (2nd Year): 24K
NCB: 20%
Compulsory Deductable: 2K
Voluntary Deductable: NIL

Needless to say that 1st year premium was without any Zero Depreciation Cover and renewed under same condition.
First Year Key replacement cover was complementary.
Second year only covers Road-side assistance. It was also available in first year.
Zero Dep with Engine protection & others was 15K more (Non-Negotiated)

PUC

Well I did a thorough R&D before going for PUC certificate.
Normally in Delhi NCR PUC is valid only for 3 months but checked the Motor Vehicle Rules and found that
  1. You can do without PUC for first 365 days from date of registration of new car and this is applicable all over India.
  2. For BS IV Cars, PUC validity is 1 years. Even this is applicable all over India.

Not all PUC centre have latest software and as a result they will normally issue certificate for 3 months
Or 6 months, if specifically asked in Noida & Gurgaon (for Cars, which don't drive to Delhi)

PUC centres in Gurgaon, did not had choice of selection of BS IV from drop down field. I checked up with a Delhi PUC centre and first he was reluctant but when I insisted, he asked me to show that car is BS IV.

To my surprise UP RC did not had any mention about Car being BS I/II/II/IV (There was no column or heading)

I tried to convince him that all new cars sold in NCR is BS IV but he insisted for proof. Finally I got hold of Toyota ARAI Mileage certificate, which said it to be BS IV. Also I asked him to check the reading & it would be below BS IV limits.

Finally he did it. It took time as he took 6 readings & every-time pressed the throttle all the way to 3000 RPM.

Now I have got a certificate for 1 year, valid all over India.
During first year, I kept a copy of attached rule in car, in case required.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Fortuner 4X2 MT: Miles to go before, but I have promises to keep-puc-rule.jpg  

Last edited by Wanderers : 7th July 2014 at 10:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks