Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2014, 20:19   #46
BHPian

Congratulations Manuj. Hope you get your car soon.
Old 11th July 2014, 22:18   #47
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner 4X2 MT: Miles to go before, but I have promises to keep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorquePeedo View Post
Congratulations Manuj. Hope you get your car soon.
Thanks a lot . The wait is just the hardest part :P
Old 17th July 2014, 05:56   #48
BHPian

As luck would have it, I pulled some strings around a bit and it turns out I might get my Fortuner as early as next week The dealer has sent me the accessories list (if I choose to order any). Generally I prefer to buy the accessories from the dealer itself to avoid the shoddy jobs done by the guys outside. I am interested in the following things but the prices seem to be much higher. Any views?

Floor Mats (Fabric) - 4,990
Fender Mirror - 5,180
Luggagy Tray - 2,219
Illuminated Scuff Plate - 12,070
Head up display - 9,090
Auto folding mirror - 4,390
Rear bumper guard - 9,900
Lexus style tail lights - 19,500
Side body cladding (are they necessary?) - 26,000

The prices are inclusive of all taxes and installation. Are there any other essential accessories that I should get? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Manuj
Old 17th July 2014, 07:14   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manujkansal View Post

The dealer has sent me the accessories list (if I choose to order any). Generally I prefer to buy the accessories from the dealer itself to avoid the shoddy jobs done by the guys outside. I am interested in the following things but the prices seem to be much higher. Any views?

Fender Mirror - 5,180
Luggagy Tray - 2,219
Head up display - 9,090
Side body cladding I don't think is necessary.

Rear bumper guard - is it the steel bar type?

Floor Mats (Fabric) - please avoid fabric types as they'll get to dirty and difficult to handle them.

Luggagy Tray - Is it parcel tray?

Fender Mirror; Illuminated Scuff Plate; Head up display; Auto folding mirror - all these are decent but prices to me seem a bit on the higher side.

Congratulations on getting the Fortuner quicker than anticipated.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 08:57   #50
BHPian

Quote:
As luck would have it, I pulled some strings around a bit and it turns out I might get my Fortuner as early as next week The dealer has sent me the accessories list (if I choose to order any). Generally I prefer to buy the accessories from the dealer itself to avoid the shoddy jobs done by the guys outside. I am interested in the following things but the prices seem to be much higher. Any views?

Fender Mirror - 5,180
Luggagy Tray - 2,219
Head up display - 9,090

The prices are inclusive of all taxes and installation. Are there any other essential accessories that I should get? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Manuj
First of all congratulations. I had recently got mine as well hence will share my research and thoughts on the accessories.

Floor Mats (Fabric) - They are nice but will get soiled in rains. There are some very good ones available online which are waterproof and can be easily washed although they are around 7k but I think they are worth it. In any case you will have to go with the rubber mat on top of these for the rainy season which is another 2k (this was the scenario in my case as I didnt knew then). Buy them beforehand and take them with you at delivery time.

Fender Mirror - I don't feel much use for it. I am able to navigate easily without it and this is my first SUV experience but it all depends on the way you drive and the kind of areas you need to venture into. I think they are helpful in watching the front left side up close.

Luggagy Tray - Not needed if you are buying a trunk mat. Problem is if you collapse your rearmost seat to make room for luggage you will have to remove this and store it which is a pain

Illuminated Scuff Plate - Visual enhancement, personal choice. I didn't go for it. Seems to expensive.

Head up display - Again some gadgetry which I feel is not much of use.

Auto folding mirror - This is something useful. I got advised on this forum only to go for it and am loving it. More often then not you will forget to close the mirrors from the button inside and once you lock the car, you will realize that. This comes in handy at that time. It will fold the mirrors on locking the car and open them on starting it automatically.

Rear bumper guard - Could be useful for minor incidents of people rear ending you but spoils the classic look of the SUV. Anyway it does not cover everything and if someone really bumps hard they will scratch here and there anyway so I did not go for it.

Lexus style tail lights - Visual enhancement, personal choice. I didn't go for it. Seems to expensive.

Side body cladding (are they necessary?) - Visual enhancement, personal choice. I didn't go for it. Seems to expensive and in my personal opinion spoils the classic look of the SUV.

Apart from these get couple of cushions, they will be handy for rear passengers. I also went for the vehicle tracking device (Amsaki). It does give a certain amount of reassurance against theft but is not really hitech. It is Sim based and works with SMSs.

Also, if you could ask for them about the mirrorlink feature in the head unit and how to use it. I haven't been able to figure out how to connect my samsung note 2 with the head unit using the mirrorlink.

Hope this helps. Do write about your experience once you get it. My writeup is pending too :P

Last edited by TorquePeedo : 17th July 2014 at 08:59.
TorquePeedo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 09:31   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Rear bumper guard - is it the steel bar type?
Yes it is the steel bar type. I think it look minimalistic and does the job well.

Quote:
Floor Mats (Fabric) - please avoid fabric types as they'll get to dirty and difficult to handle them.
I was also thinking the same. In my other cars I have had to put in those translucent white plastic mats. How about the 3D kagu mats?

Quote:
Luggagy Tray - Is it parcel tray?
It is more like a luggage mat made out of plastic with raised edges so it will be handy in case of liquid spills.

Quote:
Congratulations on getting the Fortuner quicker than anticipated.
Thanks a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorquePeedo View Post
First of all congratulations. I had recently got mine as well hence will share my research and thoughts on the accessories.

Floor Mats (Fabric) - They are nice but will get soiled in rains. There are some very good ones available online which are waterproof and can be easily washed although they are around 7k but I think they are worth it. In any case you will have to go with the rubber mat on top of these for the rainy season which is another 2k (this was the scenario in my case as I didnt knew then). Buy them beforehand and take them with you at delivery time.

Fender Mirror - I don't feel much use for it. I am able to navigate easily without it and this is my first SUV experience but it all depends on the way you drive and the kind of areas you need to venture into. I think they are helpful in watching the front left side up close.

Luggagy Tray - Not needed if you are buying a trunk mat. Problem is if you collapse your rearmost seat to make room for luggage you will have to remove this and store it which is a pain

Illuminated Scuff Plate - Visual enhancement, personal choice. I didn't go for it. Seems to expensive.

Head up display - Again some gadgetry which I feel is not much of use.

Auto folding mirror - This is something useful. I got advised on this forum only to go for it and am loving it. More often then not you will forget to close the mirrors from the button inside and once you lock the car, you will realize that. This comes in handy at that time. It will fold the mirrors on locking the car and open them on starting it automatically.

Rear bumper guard - Could be useful for minor incidents of people rear ending you but spoils the classic look of the SUV. Anyway it does not cover everything and if someone really bumps hard they will scratch here and there anyway so I did not go for it.

Lexus style tail lights - Visual enhancement, personal choice. I didn't go for it. Seems to expensive.

Side body cladding (are they necessary?) - Visual enhancement, personal choice. I didn't go for it. Seems to expensive and in my personal opinion spoils the classic look of the SUV.

Apart from these get couple of cushions, they will be handy for rear passengers. I also went for the vehicle tracking device (Amsaki). It does give a certain amount of reassurance against theft but is not really hitech. It is Sim based and works with SMSs.

Also, if you could ask for them about the mirrorlink feature in the head unit and how to use it. I haven't been able to figure out how to connect my samsung note 2 with the head unit using the mirrorlink.

Hope this helps. Do write about your experience once you get it. My writeup is pending too :P
Thanks a lot for your comments. I will definitely keep these points in mind and will surely ask about the mirror link feature. I hope it works with iOS too.
Old 17th July 2014, 09:34   #52
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic car. So in 2 wheel drive the rear wheels are drawing the power, correct ?

Please remove that bar at the rear it is spoiling the looks.

25 Lacs on road in DELHI, can you please provide the breakup ?
Old 17th July 2014, 09:40   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post

25 Lacs on road in DELHI, can you please provide the breakup ?
Currently the on road price is somewhere around 26.50 lacs

Ex showroom price of 4x2AT - 22.79L
Road tax @12.5% - 2.85L
Insurance (Toyota protect) - 79K
Other handling & logistics - around 10K

Manuj
Old 17th July 2014, 10:00   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Currently the on road price is somewhere around 26.50 lacs

Ex showroom price of 4x2AT - 22.79L
Road tax @12.5% - 2.85L
Insurance (Toyota protect) - 79K
Other handling & logistics - around 10K

Manuj
Congratulations on your new ride. It might be already too late but I think you can get the Insurance for much cheaper rates outside. 79k is outright robbery. Just for comparison sake my 320d costing almost 10L more than your car has a first year premium of Rs 64k ( standard 0 dep policy).

Toyota SA would try and sell you all different kind of ideas about the benefits of taking insurance from them but I didn't face any problems in claiming insurance for my Altis even when I had bought it from outside on my own. That time also they were quoting 48k for the policy which I got from outside for 32k.

Regarding accessories: Don't buy the fabric mats. They are a dirt magnet and really tough to maintain. The 3D mats are a nice option if you want to spend that much money. Otherwise the transparent plastic ones that you mentioned do the job perfectly.
Also Fortuner is a very common vehicle on our roads and you will get all the other accessories for much cheaper rates outside and fitting shouldn't be an issue since its not an outright exclusive vehicle.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 10:51   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
It might be already too late but I think you can get the Insurance for much cheaper rates outside. 79k is outright robbery. Just for comparison sake my 320d costing almost 10L more than your car has a first year premium of Rs 64k ( standard 0 dep policy).
Thanks a lot for the wishes I understand that the insurance can be done outside for 50K but the dealer is not budging and I am also not in a position to argue much since he is delivering the car in one week as a personal favour. Even my 520D premiums are about 50K (Just got it renewed today only )
Old 18th July 2014, 02:46   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the wishes I understand that the insurance can be done outside for 50K but the dealer is not budging and I am also not in a position to argue much since he is delivering the car in one week as a personal favour. Even my 520D premiums are about 50K (Just got it renewed today only )
Hi Manuj,
Well I am sitting away in different time zone till Sunday.

My two cents

3D mats
Please get 3D mats. Toyota sells 3D mats at lower rate than fabric mat, Around 2900/-. Its worth. But you will still have to buy a mat (fabric or rubber) for the boot.
Since cost is low (comparable), no point buying from outside.

Fender mirror
Fender Mirror is useful. I am getting one (after 1 year), It saves you from corner brushes etc, if you look on it (difficult a bit). Also you can make use of tight space, while cutting in front of some car in a traffic Jam or similar.
You won't get it outside with similar color quality/match. Also it involves drilling, so let Toyota do it.

Scuff Plate
The Idea of Scuff plate apart from looks is to protect you from scratches on floor corners/edges near doors, but Toyota design is not good here and the scuff plate fits some distance inside the starting corner of the doors so you will still have paint coming out from corner.
Yes in 1 year I have 4 straight lines scratches at the corner, one in each door. You can't avoid it.
If for you, the scuff plate is required for looks, please buy outside. saving is Rs 9000. Rs.1200 vs 10K+

Rear Guard
After market option (Best Brand) is Rs 3500 Vs Toyota Rs 10K+
Remember, you will need to change it as this portion keep getting hit by someone or the other.

Autofolding Mirror
Get it and let the car and you feel like driving some premium car.
You don't want to hear from someone that his 4 Lakhs i10 has this feature and how come a 25L Fortuner misses it out.

Head-up Display
I was keen for it but it looks out of place attachment on Board. As such you are sitting high in a Fortuner and you won't have pains to see the dials.

Side Cladding
Personal Choice. I liked it as it gives better looks.
Since the fortuner doors have good height and it has got a side foot steps, the door of car opening on it's side is not going to touch anything except the foot-steps or worse case, wheels, bumper or the fender corner towards the door. All these place can't be protected by the side cladding.
Please note that colors on cladding peels off more easily than the car colored body parts (which also peels off ) so if while opening the doors, if the door hits the car next to it, be prepared for a black line or spot. But it can be painted during next service or at home.

Tail Light
If you have gone for light colored Car, I think original ones looks pretty good. But I would say its personal choice if money is not the constraint.

Worse case, if you have to but certain amount of accessories, please add 3M treatments offered by the dealer.
Still need something More, go for Head-rest embedded DVD Player. Rs 25K.

Also if you are going for over 50K accessories ask for discount or drop some big ticket item from list. If the sales man threatens not to give the car (as its out of turn) please stick to your demand or hung up.
As said before Fortuner has good demand but its artificially over played.

For my Friend's Fortuner
Guys on mathura Road came down to 2 months from 4 months, when we went with the cheque book.
Next day he called me to deliver immediately, if I buy accessories worth 80K. We did not budge.
Finally we got the same car with only the side cladding (as it was installed and I did not wanted to take it out. He actually showed me the car with all the accessories worth 80K but, I made them open/taken-out all including the mats.
We took fresh new mats after taking the delivery from the same place.

Too much gyan. I know but now you can decide better I suppose.
Wanderers is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 15:11   #57
BHPian

Here is a common problem faced by many Toyota Fortuner owners. Some of the Innova owners also faced this.

Two week back, my left rear tyre was punctured. Noticed it in the parking in the night, just before I had to leave for a week long trip.

Quickly called the neighborhood puncture boy as he comes with his own hydraulic jack. ( I had no strength left for the tyre change)

Oh My God ! the tyre refused to come out of the hub. The alloy looked press fitted against the central hub projection.

Since it was quite late, we tightened back all the nuts and decided to repair the Tyre on return from tour.
As it happened, I tried to test Toyota 24X7 helpline at 11 PM (had late night flight to catch)
The guy helped me talk to a technician and his advise was one of the most weird one got in recent times.
He asked me to Hammer the Hub (after confirming that I do have a large Hammer) and even suggested to move the car a little (without nuts) to free the wheel.
He said, he will do the same thing, if they come to help me over my house.

I decided (for better) not to call them as I felt something was not right.
Later on asked Heinz Guderian through his ownership thread for help and also learnt from Ahmed ownership thread, how to take out such nasty wheels.

But the whole episode prompted my to get a tyre inflator, which I got now. I can't imagine stranded on a highway with a punctured tyre stuck in the hub.

Toyota Fortuner 4X2 MT: Miles to go before, but I have promises to keep-img20140721wa000.jpg
Toyota Fortuner 4X2 MT: Miles to go before, but I have promises to keep-img20140721wa001.jpg

On air filling the tire, I found a leak on the outer side wall (edge) and repaired it without taking out the tire.

As advised by HG & Ahmed, I also got hold of Zovik and WD 40 (as this was required for taking out the tire)

Toyota Fortuner 4X2 MT: Miles to go before, but I have promises to keep-img20140721wa002.jpg

Took the opportunity to clean the rust around the hub but I still feel like taking out the wheels once.
I shall do it when I get a bit free time.

Last edited by Wanderers : 21st July 2014 at 15:18.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 00:34   #58
BHPian

So guys I took the delivery of my Fortuner today

Loving the experience. Thanks to each one of you for all the help.

I got only the Fender mirror and the auto folding side mirror kit installed. Didn't like the fabric mats being sold by Toyota. Can any one suggest a good place in Delhi to get the 3D mats from?

Dropped the idea of the front guard and side cladding. They were not adding anything to the looks of the car rather the vice versa is true (Personal opinion).

Saw the HUD installed in a car and it was a total waste so dropped that as well

Although I still plan to get the lexus style tail lights. They are just too good but was short on time today so couldn't get them. Also now I get a chance to find out its price outside the showroom also.
Old 30th July 2014, 14:01   #59
BHPian

Quote:
So guys I took the delivery of my Fortuner today

Loving the experience.
Hi Manuj,

Let me be the first to congratulate you on Team-BHP. Well deserved Car, you have got it now.

Which color did you buy?
Please share your buying & initial driving experience along with pictures.

thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 14:07   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Hi Manuj,

Let me be the first to congratulate you on Team-BHP. Well deserved Car, you have got it now.

Which color did you buy?
Please share your buying & initial driving experience along with pictures.

thanks
Thanks a lot for the wishes

I bought the super white. Initially considered black as well but then changed my mind because of the stringent maintenance that a black vehicle demands.

Will share the whole experience and pictures as soon as I find the time for it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks