Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2014, 16:42   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Autobiography of a Mahindra XUV500 - Satin White

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Congrats Dhanush.
A very different way of writing ownership report. Saw the thread on TBHP FB page and was able to read it half few days back, then suddenly it disappeared. I guess you moved to assembly line. Just finished reading the rest, do keep us posted.
Thanks mpksuhas.
Yes it did go back to the assembly line for a week for addition of the performance review.
Glad you liked the outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Dhanush here is a circular for the state of AP.
I hope there is different circulars for different States.
Thanks a lot sommos for that piece of info.
However, I don't think the transport commissioner of Kerala will leave me aside for quoting the rules of AP.
Waiting for reply from Taureanbull for clarity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASMEET MATTOO View Post
Amazing write up Dhanush!!! I was actually visualising a car talking while reading your article. The XUV 5oo is definitely a good choice!
Wish you a happy and safe time with the XUV 5oo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
A good refreshing review of the XUV500. Very nicely written, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
Thanks a lot. Glad you liked it.
I was a wee bit worried whether my rant is extending too long

Quote:
Originally Posted by InControl View Post
A lovely review
right from the Horse's mouth (140 of them) i say
. Yes. 140 of them!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Very well narrated autobiography "5-WOW-WOW". Also congratulations on finding yourself an enthusiast boss and munching miles with him.

I think very soon, I need to make sure your sibling finds me and get a royal treatment and treat me the same way, when he joins me

PS: Awesome narration Dhanush. Kudos to your writing skills buddy.
Thanks fusionbang.
You should definitely consider my siblings. Whilst at the same time, you should consider the competitors too.
I fit the bill for Mr D because he doesn't need a seven seater.
I am sure you would take that into your consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
Congratulations. Nice narration. Will sure make many prospective W6 buyers to change their mind and spend additional 2 Lakhs and go for W8. All the best and wish many miles with XUV FIVE O.. O..
Thanks Seran Manian.
If I was able to convert atleast one person to buy W8 from W6, all my rants have borne fruit.
Like Mr D, I am also a staunch believer that you should go for the variant which gives you maximum safety.
If two lakhs comes in the way of life and survival from a cash, why not?
It is better to invest that two lakhs on the car than on hospital bills.

As I have mentioned in the thread earlier:
"May sanity prevail"
Old 29th April 2014, 16:58   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Thanks fusionbang.
You should definitely consider my siblings. Whilst at the same time, you should consider the competitors too.
I fit the bill for Mr D because he doesn't need a seven seater.
I am sure you would take that into your consideration.
No buddy, I would 100% consider only your sibling because its my dream to adopt one of you from the time you were born.

You guys are the only ones who can fit all my needs. Although there might be a slight glitch on the luggage space, it would be at times I would use you as a 7-seater. Most of the times it would be 5-seater.

Also I would not like to make you guys carry luggage on your head at any point of time.

Come to me soon XUV
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 17:46   #48
Senior - BHPian

A quick search of the net revealed a few interesting things :
a. There is a similar exemption for select govt. officers also in the state of AP, the relevant circular is posted below.

Quote:
EXEMPTION OF LIFE TAX IN RESPECT OF VEHICLES OWNED BY CENTRAL GOVT. EMPLOYEES
GOVERNMENT OF ANDHRA PRADESH
ABSTRACT

ANDHRA PRADESH MOTOR VEHICLES TAXATION ACT, 1963 - Payment of tax to Andhra Pradesh State in respect of Vehicles owned by Central Government Officers of other States migrated to Andhra Pradesh State Notification - Issued.

TRANSPORT, ROADS AND BUILDINGS (Tr.II) DEPARTMENT

G.O.Ms.No.224 Dated:10.11.1993

G.O.Ms.No.224, TR&B (Tr.II) Department, dt.10-11-1993.

From the Collector, Customs and Central Excise, Hyderabad Representation dated. 17-8-1994.

ORDER

The Collector, Customs and Central Excise, Hyderabad, in his representation second read above, has requested the Government to permit him to pay the road tax, for his personal car brought from Maharashtra State to Andhra Pradesh consequest on his transfer, on yearly basis during his stay and posting in this State, instead of payment of life tax prevailing in Andhra Pradesh State. After careful consideration of the request, in the light of similar concession already extended by this Government to serving Defence Personnel in the G.O.first read above, Government have decided to extend the same concession to serving Central Government officers transferred and posted in Andhra Pradesh.

The followin Notification shall be published in an Extra Ordinary issue of Andhra Pradesh Gazette dated 26-8-1994.

NOTIFICATION

In exercise of the powers conferred by Sub-Section(1) of Section 9 of the Andhra Pradesh Motor Vehicles Taxation Act, 1963 (Act 5 of 1963), the Governor of Andhra Pradesh orders that in respect of Motor Cars and Motor Cycles owned by Central Government officers and used for their own private use only and registered in other states and being brought on the rolls of Andhra Pradesh State on transfer of the Personnel:

1. no tax be paid in cases where life tax has already been paid in other states.
2. tax shall be levied annually in cases where no life tax was paid in other States, after the expiry of the validity of the tax already paid in other States.
b. There is a similar provision in the state of Karnataka to pay annual road tax for select govt. officers and defence personnel in case they bring in their personal car from another state and lifetime road tax is paid during the time of registration. However, all defence personnel and govt. officers buying a vehicle in the state of Karnataka on or after 2012 (specific date is not known) has to pay the lifetime tax in that state.

c. There is reference in several discussions of a circular by the Ministry of Surface Transport & Shipping which allows Central govt. employees and defence personnel to use their personal vehicle in the state of their posting without transferring the registration, however could not find the circular.

Dhanush you can ask the RTO about the rule prevalent in the state of your next posting and can also use the RTI route to get an official reply to the same.
Sommos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 19:14   #49
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Very entertaining write-up, Dhanush. Covers almost all points one needs to know about the 'Agile Elephant', yet not following the more conventional technical way. So good that I may actually narrate the XUV story to my son when he grows up. Great job!
ImprezaFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 00:10   #50
BHPian

Very involving and informative story of the XUV. I never knew that there was a black and brown interior color scheme for the car!
There is no mention of the Tata stable in the consideration set!
Old 30th April 2014, 02:16   #51
Senior - BHPian

Dhanush,
Indeed a very unique and involving write up.Keep it up and alive.

I was really impressed with the xuv 500 but their attitude , niggles , gear shifting and ASS put me off.
I bought the Ecosport as it checked all our boxes and we use only the front two seats.

Good to know that you are happy with XUV 500.
Will be following you thread closely as my next upgrade from honda city would be an automatic 4 wheel drive SUV(heard mahindra is coming out with one)

Have a few questions for you

1) Why not a 4 wheel drive?
2) Why was your reverse camera eccentricity fitted(saw it on another xuv 500 too, hence there must be a reason)?
3) What is your take on the quality of switch gear including the steering wheel controls?
4) Do you honestly feel it is a drivers car? (I didnt feel it, hence the question)
5) How is the power of low beam?
6) Did w8 come with an electric day night photochromic rear view mirror?
Attached Thumbnails
Autobiography of a Mahindra XUV500 - Satin White-1232806d1398061652tautobiographymahindraxuv500satinwhiteimg_9687.jpeg  

Last edited by ecosport rules : 30th April 2014 at 02:28.
Old 30th April 2014, 07:19   #52
BHPian

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your review dhanush. Congrats on your new ride!! It's good to see that few of the XUV niggles have finally been addressed. Wish you miles of safe and trouble free ownership. Grrr!
Old 30th April 2014, 07:33   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
2) Why was your reverse camera eccentricity fitted(saw it on another xuv 500 too, hence there must be a reason)?
3) What is your take on the quality of switch gear including the steering wheel controls?
4) Do you honestly feel it is a drivers car? (I didnt feel it, hence the question)
I will answer few from my point of view if you dont mind :-

1. Thats as per the need and budget.
2. It cannt be fitted exactly on the rib. Its fair enough till the time its aligned correctly. Though I feel at least on W8 it should have been factory fitted.
3. They are very good especially the HVAC controls. Rest switch gear is good too.
4. I feel yes. Though it may depend on the need. Its a good city commuter and of course a highway horse.
5. Most feeling is that the low beam power is less, however its adequate in my opinion. Its at par with many other vehicles.
6. Yes. It does.
TaureanBull is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 08:00   #54
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations for getting into a nice garage! If the excursions on the little red Ford is anything to go by, you are going to see a lot of places and cover a lot of ground.

And kudos on a report very well done.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 08:48   #55
Team-BHP Support

Congrats Dhanush. I am sure you would end up driving this guy as well so heavy as what you did to his sibling! Congrats and happy driving.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 09:52   #56
BHPian

Some time back Anand Mahindra has tweeted this thread's URL - refer to screen shot of it below.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 1743
Size:  37.5 KB
vijay_rodie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 10:11   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
You guys are the only ones who can fit all my needs. Although there might be a slight glitch on the luggage space, it would be at times I would use you as a 7-seater. Most of the times it would be 5-seater.

Also I would not like to make you guys carry luggage on your head at any point of time.

Come to me soon XUV
For a five seater, which would be used raringly as a seven seater, I am good option fusionbang.
Hope one of my brothers join you soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
A quick search of the net revealed a few interesting things :
a. There is a similar exemption for select govt. officers also in the state of AP, the relevant circular is posted below.

b. There is a similar provision in the state of Karnataka to pay annual road tax for select govt. officers and defence personnel in case they bring in their personal car from another state and lifetime road tax is paid during the time of registration. However, all defence personnel and govt. officers buying a vehicle in the state of Karnataka on or after 2012 (specific date is not known) has to pay the lifetime tax in that state.

c. There is reference in several discussions of a circular by the Ministry of Surface Transport & Shipping which allows Central govt. employees and defence personnel to use their personal vehicle in the state of their posting without transferring the registration, however could not find the circular.

Dhanush you can ask the RTO about the rule prevalent in the state of your next posting and can also use the RTI route to get an official reply to the same.
Thanks a lot Sommos.
The glitch with this is that these things changes from state to state. Also, the clarity and transparency varies from one to another.
I am soon expecting a re location and I am sure gonna trouble the RTO there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprezaFan View Post
Very entertaining write-up, Dhanush. Covers almost all points one needs to know about the 'Agile Elephant', yet not following the more conventional technical way. So good that I may actually narrate the XUV story to my son when he grows up. Great job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Very involving and informative story of the XUV. I never knew that there was a black and brown interior color scheme for the car!
There is no mention of the Tata stable in the consideration set!
Thanks Imprezafan and Utopian. Your kind words matters a lot.
Utopian, Mr D did not consider Safari because of body roll and also due to the brand 'Tata'.
He is somehow still not convinced with Tata.
On first two years, they shine and are absolute value for money and space.However, all Tata cars ages very fast.
Hence Mr D is a bit skeptical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Dhanush,
Indeed a very unique and involving write up.Keep it up and alive.

I bought the Ecosport as it checked all our boxes and we use only the front two seats.

Have a few questions for you

Thanks Ecosport rules.
Mr D very keenly followed the Ecosport from the initial build up days to the launch in Brazil to the launch in China to the launch in India.
Initially, it was because of sheer enthusiasm and later it was because he fell in love with that vehicle.
However, on flesh, he was let off by the lack of space on the rear bench.
On comparison with the little red figo he had, he didn't require Newtonian brains to say that Ecosport ain't better than Figo in that department.
I am sure you would agree to that.

Mr D's love for Ecosport has not died down but.
He spins around naveen.raju's white beauty whenever he gets a chance; and he also keeps promising himself that :
"The car which will replace my figo, will be the Ecosport".

Well, for your queries, most of it has been answered already by Taureanbull.
I will add what I feel is in variance in my opinion.
1) Mr D did not opt for AWD because, he does not intend doing offroading. Atleast that's the case as of now.
2) If you are used to the drive feel of a Ford, you wouldn't like the drive feel of the XUV.
Yes, Ford spoils you son.
Thats why Mr D also returned with a blank face after my first test drive.
However, in my defence, I would submit that you wouldn't find many SUVs which you can call as a 'driver's car'. In that perspective, I handle much better than anything in the near by spectrum of comparison.
(By the way, I hope you are not calling Dusters, Ecosports and Yetis as SUVs. I think they are crossovers.)
3) Low beam is sufficient. Combined with fog lamps, it does the job as fine. Obviously, it is not a light house which will blind the on coming traffic. Mr D doesn't like it to be a light house too.
For better visibility, the high beams are projectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your review dhanush. Congrats on your new ride!! It's good to see that few of the XUV niggles have finally been addressed. Wish you miles of safe and trouble free ownership. Grrr!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
I will answer if you dont mind :-

1. Thats as per the need and budget...
6. Yes. It does.
Thank you sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Congratulations for getting into a nice garage! If the excursions on the little red Ford is anything to go by, you are going to see a lot of places and cover a lot of ground.

And kudos on a report very well done.
Thanks deetjohn.
I also hope that Mr D takes me to places with the same enthusiasm as he did with the little red devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Congrats Dhanush. I am sure you would end up driving this guy as well so heavy as what you did to his sibling! Congrats and happy driving.
Thanks ampere.
dhanushmenon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 11:28   #58
BHPian

Congrats Dhanush, I had read about ghost who walks (Phantom), today I read about car who talks, your XUV has a adidtional capability that none other XUV has

I am also in the process of owing a XUV for highway rides, your autobiography did bring in some more confidence to go ahead and make the booking.

Thank you and Happy motoring!
pillaian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 12:23   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_rodie View Post
Some time back Anand Mahindra has tweeted this thread's URL - refer to screen shot of it below.

Attachment 1235794
Thanks vijay_rodie.
That's definitely a matter of pride.
ACtually, my thread initially came live on 22 Apr 14.
Mahindra had tweeted it then.
Was reported here by fz_rider as mentioned in the quote below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
Well congratulations! Happy to report that none other than Mr. Mahindra retweeted this thread. Way to go!
Irrespective, it's really a great recognition to be noticed by the bigwigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillaian View Post
Congrats Dhanush, I had read about ghost who walks (Phantom), today I read about car who talks, your XUV has a adidtional capability that none other XUV has

I am also in the process of owing a XUV for highway rides, your autobiography did bring in some more confidence to go ahead and make the booking.

Thank you and Happy motoring!
I am very happy that my recital could motivate some people to finalise their decisions. I also hope that I could impress enough the importance of W8 too.

Happy motoring.
Old 30th April 2014, 12:36   #60
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
For better visibility, the high beams are projectors.
The projectors are for low beam. Halogens are for high beam.

Autobiography of a Mahindra XUV500 - Satin White-headlamp.jpg
  (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks