Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2015, 17:15   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: My White Stallion - BMW X3 20D xDrive. A Q3 owner speaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurbasg View Post
Thanks venom_op. Yep I got lucky with the colour cause there was a Black exterior in the factory in Chennai and that too from Sep'15. Otherwise I was gonna settle for a white with mocha interiors which was in stock with the dealer in Mumbai.
Re: tyre pressure. I guess I was a bit daft or gullible in this matter. I asked the showroom guys about the tyre pressure when I was checking everything prior to delivery. They showed me the place on the door where the pressure chart is stuck and said that its 32, but you can keep it on 29 in city. I then specifically asked if the pressure had been checked and they said yes sir its been set at 32. After writing the earlier post I was speaking to another friend who had bought a 530d a couple of years back from the same dealer. He told me to not trust these guys and check at my regular place (known established petrol pump in my case). To my amazement it had 36 in each of the rear tyres and 38 in each of the front tyres! Deflated it to 32 in all the 4 wheels and now it feels amazing. Huge difference. Am pretty sure driving in this Mumbai heat at such over inflated levels havent helped the tyres either. But then who do I catch now
I hear you on the BSI. As I mentioned, I was anyways planning to take one, but then wasnt sure if the amount of 1.75L is really spent on an average or its more like an insurance.

Cheers!
You can even try 30 if you like, it thuds less on our great Mumbai roads. I use 30 or 32 for the city, and generally 34 for highway drives.

As for the BSI, 3 year BSI makes no sense IMO. If you have to take BSI the 5 year plan is what makes sense according to me, but it is quite expensive.
Old 12th December 2015, 22:08   #47

Akshay1234, I was planning on 5yr BSI but it seems that I can take the 4th & 5th year at a later date prior to the end of 3rd year. Since its a substantial addition for the last 2 yrs which is around 2.75L compared to 1.75L for the first 3, so I will take it if I plan to keep the car beyond the 3 years. The only catch is that the 2.75L will go up at that point in time but its something I will deal with at that time provided I plan to keep the car.
Overall the basic intent is to go for the BSI but just wanted experiences of other owners with regards to its utility.
Cheers!
Old 13th December 2015, 07:37   #48
BHPian

Hello Guys -
Its been a while since I returned back to provide an update. My car is actually in a shut down mode since past several months, 6 to be precise since I am not back in the country yet.
When I contacted a technician he told me that the storage pressure is 46psi all tires which is how BMW stores them and in transit. I found on several intl threads and also here in BMW US showrooms that they mostly recommend this pressure for storage. I used to do 33psi for normal city driving and it used to be better among the pressures that I tried.

Well - update on retrofit. BMW confirmed that doing the retrofit will not void the BSI and warranty so that was a bit of good news. Way back in May, they said that even with retrofit in their premises it will void the warranty. The down side is they changed the specs though of the retrofit. They had initially offered a full graphical Kombi instrument cluster which has all graphical needles but have changed this to medium graphical instrument cluster. So its all on hold right now till I return back.

In the meanwhile with bimmertech they have a much more interesting retrofit which has front and back camera and the device that mirrors your iPhone on the 6.5in navi display. So imagine the google maps on your 6.5in navi display

I am beginning to like this as it mirrors my iPhone - so mails, calendar, microsoft Skype for business all of it - and not to mention Google Maps. Oh and of course, front and back camera.

Still deciding as this will void the warranty
araje is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 10:42   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post

Still deciding as this will void the warranty
Hey, this won't void the warranty. As far as I'm aware this too plugs right in, no wires have to be cut. Also its something which is not likely to be noticed.

As for the cluster, the mid cluster is only marginally better, so I wouldn't suggest you get that. The extended cluster which now comes on the X3 30d will be a good upgrade, or even better the full lcd 6WB cluster (I'm considering this ).
Old 13th December 2015, 12:23   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
As for the cluster, the mid cluster is only marginally better, so I wouldn't suggest you get that. The extended cluster which now comes on the X3 30d will be a good upgrade, or even better the full lcd 6WB cluster (I'm considering this ).
Hey Akshay, yes the 6WB is what they showed me first on a 5series car. I was told this is ditto what I get. When the car is turned off you just see 2 rings looking at each other, no needles anywhere as its all graphical. It was awesome, especially when you change the modes with all the graphics and all.
The extended one has an LCD which runs from left all the way to right - correct ? while the mid cluster has an LCD which runs somewhat from center to right.

They have downgraded it to extended cluster now from 6WB. But all in all, they are quoting upwards of 7L which doesn't really seem to be worth it. The Bimmertech SmartView as they call it is roughly 1000 USD - so say 70K our speak. Seems slam-dunk to me, but the warranty thing was what was holding me back. And of course the installation as I can't take it to BMW showroom to have them install it for me It does need installation and coding to enable it. So deciding...
Whats your opinion.
Old 13th December 2015, 12:56   #51
BHPian

Congratulations for your new acquisition araje. Your review is beautifully written up and all details are mentioned precisely. Just have a small doubt to all BMW owners up there. According to the Sales Associate in KUN Exclusive, Chennai, if we change the runflats of the car to normal tyres it seems the warranty gets affected. Is it true? Anyways congrats for your new car araje and wishing you loads of happy miles in it
Old 28th December 2015, 01:35   #52
BHPian

I just got an x5 ( super ) but again it came with 40 psi in each tyre and gave the car a floaty feel. Filled up and reset to the recommended 32 with light load and it's now got a completely different ride and feel. Even the test drive car was over inflated on both merc and bimmer- pretty crazy.

QUOTE=apurbasg;3868046]Thanks venom_op. Yep I got lucky with the colour cause there was a Black exterior in the factory in Chennai and that too from Sep'15. Otherwise I was gonna settle for a white with mocha interiors which was in stock with the dealer in Mumbai.
Re: tyre pressure. I guess I was a bit daft or gullible in this matter. I asked the showroom guys about the tyre pressure when I was checking everything prior to delivery. They showed me the place on the door where the pressure chart is stuck and said that its 32, but you can keep it on 29 in city. I then specifically asked if the pressure had been checked and they said yes sir its been set at 32. After writing the earlier post I was speaking to another friend who had bought a 530d a couple of years back from the same dealer. He told me to not trust these guys and check at my regular place (known established petrol pump in my case). To my amazement it had 36 in each of the rear tyres and 38 in each of the front tyres! Deflated it to 32 in all the 4 wheels and now it feels amazing. Huge difference. Am pretty sure driving in this Mumbai heat at such over inflated levels havent helped the tyres either. But then who do I catch now
I hear you on the BSI. As I mentioned, I was anyways planning to take one, but then wasnt sure if the amount of 1.75L is really spent on an average or its more like an insurance.

Cheers![/quote]
Old 28th December 2015, 05:10   #53
Team-BHP Support

Great review. I like the way you've detailed out the various features. As a new BMW owner, some of these explanations might be useful for me as well just to understand how they operate.
Old 13th January 2016, 15:55   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderfully detailed review there araje. Thanks, helped me in purchasing a white 30d M sport last month.

I have a couple of questions for X3 X line (LCI) owners.
1) Is you car equipped with comfort access (keyless entry)?
2) Does your car come with the electric tail gate?

I really assumed these features to be present on the 30d M Sport only to find out otherwise

Lastly araje since you are from Bangalore, do you fill Shell Diesel or HP/BP etc.. ?
Old 13th January 2016, 16:26   #55
BHPian

My White Stallion - BMW X3 20D xDrive. A Q3 owner speaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Wonderfully detailed review there araje. Thanks, helped me in purchasing a white 30d M sport last month.

I really assumed these features to be present on the 30d M Sport only to find out otherwise

Lastly araje since you are from Bangalore, do you fill Shell Diesel or HP/BP etc.. ?

No and no. Wish we had these but unfortunately we don't.. It is a thoroughly annoying omission.

I had assumed that maybe the 30d had it since it's a CBU. Guess not.
venom_op is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 12:30   #56
BHPian

Seriously - I also expected the comfort access to be included. Unfortunately no.

I go to INdian Oil next to my house - fill up full tank early in the morning and always go there to keep the variation less.
I have seen that over a period of time you can get predictable results if you keep the diesel the same as well.
Just regular. I am told by many including my service advisor to stay away from those additives. Just unleaded and that's good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

araje is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 23:30   #57
BHPian

Any update on your navigation and camera retro fit ?

Am planning for the same, and look forward to hearing from your first hand experience, without voiding warranty, of course.
Old 16th May 2016, 13:18   #58
BHPian

Guy I have been getting calls almost daily from BMW to send my 2015 X3 for a ''check up'' I told them that there is no need as the car is fine but they are insisting.
I told them to do this "check up" with the next servicing in 3 months but they are asking me to send the car asap.
When I asked what it is for they said its because BMW has completed 100 years
Anyone have an idea about this?
Old 16th May 2016, 15:17   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash2424 View Post
Guy I have been getting calls almost daily from BMW to send my 2015 X3 for a ''check up'' I told them that there is no need as the car is fine but they are insisting.
I told them to do this "check up" with the next servicing in 3 months but they are asking me to send the car asap.
When I asked what it is for they said its because BMW has completed 100 years
Anyone have an idea about this?
Have you opted for BSI or extended warranty? If not, then these calls could be to get you to the service center to persuade to buy it.

Happened to me 3-4 months after buying the car. Now when they call, I simply turn the request down saying I don't need a free check-up and paid BSI.
the_skyliner is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 02:16   #60
BHPian

Amazing thread, I hope you guys (especially BLR folks) will put in a post when they want to sell their dream machines

What is the preferred more for buying pre worshipped chariots?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks