Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2015, 10:09   #31
BHPian

Re: My Hyundai Verna 4S CRDi 1.6 SX - Refinement, and some more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
Apart from the touchscreen system, are there any accessories you planning to put in?
Just planning to do the under chassis coating at 3M. Couldn't find time to do it still.
Old 2nd September 2015, 10:31   #32
BHPian

Ok, so I hit my first two problems with the Verna. The second one couldn't be solved, so experts, I request your valuable inputs!

Problem 1 - brake resistance
One evening, after backing out of the parking lot and engaging forward, the car refused to move (as if brakes are engaged). Reversed a little, and then engaged 1st again, and everything worked fine. I thought that in my absent mindedness, I probably had the handbrakes engaged, so chose to ignore this.

The next morning, after starting off, I felt that there was some resistance in movement, with the car coming to a halt quicker than expected. This would be much more noticeable only from a cold start. Took it to the SA, who opened out all the wheels. Turns out that the handbrake at the rear wheels were not being disengaged properly, and there was a small leak in one slave cylinder too. Got it fixed in the same day. Total charges: Rs.0 since the slave cylinder was covered under warranty and was replaced.

I guess the brakes when cold have a stronger bite than when warm, hence the mornings having more "resistance" to movement.

Problem 2 - How did a rat enter the boot?
Had been to a jungle resort. Since there was a problem of rats there, the staff advised us to keep our eatables in the boot itself. Next morning, rats have already entered the locked boot, and eaten the eatables . I could see the entry point as the point where the boot lid's wires go into the car (on the side), and there were bite marks there.

After returning to Bangalore, took it to the SA. They ripped out the boot fabric, and also raised the car on a flat bed. But unfortunately, they failed to find any holes, nor the entry point. He said that everything was metal and sealed, so theoretically nothing can enter. There was no food in the seating areas, so I'm not sure if the entry point was from there, and in turn from the engine bay. The SA ruled this out. Total charges: Rs.0

Full marks to Advaith Hyundai for the fantastic and prompt customer service. Both the times, they were quick to respond. Service couldn't, and hasn't, been better.

General experience with the car
In one word - fantastic, fantastic (sorry, that was 2 words!). Did two long drives, totaling about 1500 Kms. The Verna behaved really well on highways. I can firmly say (to all people who criticize the suspension) that suspension is no longer an issue at all at high speeds. Yes, the steering starts to disappoint at high speeds (not mentionable here). However, this can be gotten used to and will not be a deal breaker for most of the highways.

The refinement and punch of the engine is unbeatable. In short, the last few months have been a super pleasurable experience.

A few more random points:

Positives:
  • The engine refinement and throttle response has improved further, and has "broken-in" into a nice consistent state. Mileage has marginally improved.
  • Turbo lag seems better too, though I have no doubt that this is due to me getting used to the power band better.
  • Long drives didn't cause any (mental) fatigue, even after 8-9 hours. I attribute this mainly to excellent NVH levels, and more importantly, to the "more than adequate power" when required. There's no loud engine drone that gets to you after a few hours. And there's no frustration due to lack of power.
Negatives:
  • The spare tyre in the boot is inverted, with the air valve facing downwards, so the tyre needs to be unfastened and lifted out every time to fill in air. Planning to try to get a longer screw so that the tyre can be placed with the air valve facing up.
  • The ride behaviour of the low profile tyres seems to be extremely sensitive to changes in tyre pressure. At 34 PSI, the ride is harder than desired for the city, and at 31 PSI, you can feel the drag. Keep the tyre pressure correct, and everything's well. The moment it goes out of the narrow band, you can notice it immediately.

Last edited by PearlJam : 2nd September 2015 at 10:43.
PearlJam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 10:45   #33
BHPian

Hey Pearljam,

Really worried about the rat in the boot. I wonder how it managed to get in. Hope no one is subjected to such an incident again.
I too find the inverted spare wheel a pain. Let me know when you get a longer screw.

I gave my car for its 1st service today. There was a small tick-tick sound coming from beneath the rear seat. I have told the SA to look into it, let's see if it gets resolved. My Verna has completed 1150kms and has been with me for exactly 2 months.

As mentioned by you, even the petrol Verna has ample power and I am never left wanting from the engine. However, the 2nd gear does flatten out at very low speeds, say 5-7kmph and has resulted in me stalling the car a few times. I am now changing to 1st in such situations.

Its giving me 10-11km/l in city and up to 15km/l on highways. Even with extreme light footed driving, the city figures fail to improve.

Anyone reading this with an interest of purchasing the petrol Verna, let me assure you, this car is the perfect choice.

Cheers !!

Last edited by drive2eternity : 3rd September 2015 at 11:13.
Old 3rd September 2015, 12:25   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Its giving me 10-11km/l in city and up to 15km/l on highways. Even with extreme light footed driving, the city figures fail to improve. Cheers !!
Mine is a diesel, and the mileage has improved (after the first service oil change) from the initial 11 Kmpl to around 12.8 Kmpl in the city. I hope to get around 13.5 as the engine breaks in more. Highway driving with a heavy foot still gives around 19.5 Kmpl, and around 22 Kmpl with a light foot.

Hope you changed your engine oil. Though not a part of the 1st service, it's highly recommended that you change it.
PearlJam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 12:36   #35
BHPian

Yup. I posted it in the other thread. I have asked for change of Oil and filter both. Have you finalized on the touchscreen yet?
Old 7th September 2015, 10:12   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Have you finalized on the touchscreen yet?
No, am waiting for the Verna to be launched with the new touchscreen. Hopefully, there will be a perfect fitting upgrade kit available for previous versions, where all issues would have been ironed out.
Old 21st September 2015, 10:19   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
No, am waiting for the Verna to be launched with the new touchscreen.
Okay. Seems logical. I was wondering if you could help me find Scuff plates (LED or non LED) for the Verna. I have asked around and none of the dealers/ accessory shops in Whitefield and Marathalli area seem to have them.
I have seen some online but not sure of their reliability.

Could you please check if there's any shop near by your place?

Also, if I buy online, would anyone be willing to fit them?
Old 26th September 2015, 22:27   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Mine is a diesel, and the mileage has improved (after the first service oil change) from the initial 11 Kmpl to around 12.8 Kmpl in the city. I hope to get around 13.5 as the engine breaks in more. Highway driving with a heavy foot still gives around 19.5 Kmpl, and around 22 Kmpl with a light foot.
Mine is a Petrol Automatic. Whilst the mileage on highways is a very impressive 15 to 15.5, in city it drops to below 8. .. Any other ownership reviews. I hoped for an improvvement after 1st service, but no luck there.
Old 10th October 2015, 17:34   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Pearljam,

Really worried about the rat in the boot. I wonder how it managed to get in. Hope no one is subjected to such an incident again.
I too find the inverted spare wheel a pain. Let me know when you get a longer screw.

I gave my car for its 1st service today. There was a small tick-tick sound coming from beneath the rear seat. I have told the SA to look into it, let's see if it gets resolved. My Verna has completed 1150kms and has been with me for exactly 2 months.

As mentioned by you, even the petrol Verna has ample power and I am never left wanting from the engine. However, the 2nd gear does flatten out at very low speeds, say 5-7kmph and has resulted in me stalling the car a few times. I am now changing to 1st in such situations.

Its giving me 10-11km/l in city and up to 15km/l on highways. Even with extreme light footed driving, the city figures fail to improve.

Anyone reading this with an interest of purchasing the petrol Verna, let me assure you, this car is the perfect choice.

Cheers !!
Hey drive2eternity,
Just had the 1st free service for my new Hyundai Verna 4S Fluidic.

Had followed tsk1979's instructions on the " Run In " of the car in the initial period to the hilt.
From owning my previous car , a Tata Manza, i'd cultivated a habit of warming the engine ( idling) for a good minute, am continuing the same for the Verna. The limit of 2500 rpm for the first 1000 kms came to good use to me as far as the FE goes & returned an average of 10.5/11/12'sh given the condition of the traffic.
Occasionally the devil appeared & the rpm exceeded >2500 but only till then & the mental restrain took over.
I believe the FE that you have expressed you get & what i am getting is excellent given the fact that the "run in " is in progress & can only improve from here onwards. I am yet to take it on a longer journey though.

Wanted to change the engine oil completely as per tsk1979's suggestions however the service adviser told me that at the factory, before filling the oil, the engine is flushed thoroughly for any micro metal parts to remain in the engine hence there was no need for an oil change. I agreed. May be the new set of cars/manufacturers have awakened to this particular issue. Good for the consumers.

Now again, can't wait to get the rpm needle cross 3000 but slowly, i am getting addicted to the 2500 cap & the resultant encouraging FE, a new thing for me.
Nagesh Bhatt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 18:03   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
Mine is a Petrol Automatic. Whilst the mileage on highways is a very impressive 15 to 15.5, in city it drops to below 8. .. Any other ownership reviews. I hoped for an improvement after 1st service, but no luck there.
Probably the issue with automatic gear shift in city traffic conditions.

I have petrol manual Verna 4S & before the 1st service ( took delivery in Aug 2015) have gotten around 10.5/11 in Mumbai albeit driving with greater restrain. drive2eternity who also has a petrol manual ( am i right ?) claims to get exactly 10/11 in city.

How much have you driven ? As it is, in the 1st service nothing is changed, only checked. If you have asked for an oil change, it's a different thing.

There's a thread on "how to increase your FE " on tbhp but 8 kmpl in city is not an outrageous low for FE per say. Wait for few months & monitor it & do post it on this thread. Automatic machines are supposed to improve convenience & FE at the same time.
Old 10th October 2015, 22:24   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagesh Bhatt View Post
Probably the issue with automatic gear shift in city traffic conditions.
There's a thread on "how to increase your FE " on tbhp but 8 kmpl in city is not an outrageous low for FE per say. Wait for few months & monitor it & do post it on this thread. Automatic machines are supposed to improve convenience & FE at the same time.
I have been driving Automatics all my life. My other car, an i10 AT, gives a more respectable 10 kmpl in city and close to 14 in the highways. The Hyundai dealership was always confident that the Verna 4S has better refined engine and transmission, which in theory should have given me a fuel efficiency of more than 10. Whilst in absolute terms I can live with it, whats painful is to see how well the Honda CVT or the VW DSG performs in comparison to this.
Old 11th October 2015, 00:22   #42
BHPian

Hey Pearljam, congratulations! Happy motoring.

Silver is one of those colours in Verna which I too like. Feels premium.

Only thing is Hyundai tends to compromise on certain aspects. While there is no perfect car, at times you feel some thing is missing or other.

Well, no deal breakers

Enjoy the drive
MindOnWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 09:09   #43
BHPian

Hello Nagesh,

Yes I have a petrol Verna 4S. I too have been careful in keeping the revs in check to ensure a smooth run in. Recently we went for a long trip and that was the first time the engine saw 3000+ RPM range. However, even then, I never let it cross 4000. I have completed 3000kms so far. On the entire trip of close to 850kms, I got an average mileage of 15.5 kmpl. The MID was more optimistic, showing 15.9 kmpl.

Autotranny, I can feel the pain, especially when we compare the mileage given by the competitors. However, I think we can all agree that the Verna's 4 speed auto is not the most technologically advanced box out there. Plus, traffic in India is plain pathetic. I feel sorry for my car as it slowly moves (sometimes in 1st gear) through the crowded Bangalore roads. How many kilometers has your Verna run?
drive2eternity is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 15:42   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
I have been driving Automatics all my life. My other car, an i10 AT, gives a more respectable 10 kmpl in city and close to 14 in the highways. The Hyundai dealership was always confident that the Verna 4S has better refined engine and transmission, which in theory should have given me a fuel efficiency of more than 10. Whilst in absolute terms I can live with it, whats painful is to see how well the Honda CVT or the VW DSG performs in comparison to this.
Hey autotranny, cheer up !

I was curious to know the mileage Honda City CVT gets after your post & i asked my neighbor who drives one for the past year. The figs are not anything near what Honda claims in their advertorial. He said he gets 10 kmpl in city conditions & 15 on highways, a fig not dissimilar to what we get out of Verna.

Also remember, this Honda City mileage is out of a 175-65-R15 Tyre that is intended to increase FE while Verna drives on a sumptuous 195-55-R16.

However what i attempted to say was that since Verna with Manual Petrol returned with figs of 10/10.5 kmpl in city, there was no reason why the automatic would fare any less & on the contrary should get a higher FE.

Hopefully, post the " run ins ", the figs should improve. Kindly post your findings. Happy driving !
Nagesh Bhatt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 00:07   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagesh Bhatt View Post
Hey autotranny, cheer up !

He said he gets 10 kmpl in city conditions & 15 on highways, a fig not dissimilar to what we get out of Verna.

Hopefully, post the " run ins ", the figs should improve. Kindly post your findings. Happy driving !
Nagesh.. Thanks !

I have been able to move up from 7.5 to 8.5 kmpl in a week's time. I guess I need some more fine tuning of my driving style. My noobie calculations have estimated that while 40 kmph @ around 2k RPM was the best for my i10, for Verna, the ideal drive is 60 kmph @ around 1.5k RPM. Now the challenge is to find roads where I can keep doing 60 unhindered.
autotranny is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks