Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2015, 21:15   #76
Team-BHP Support

re: Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Thanks all for the input. Why have they given the button in the liver. Is it a safety feature?

I was thinking that P means it will activate the parking brake? So what does an automatic car do when shifted to P ? How does it interfere with the transmission if it is forced to move in P ?
Yes. The button in the lever is a safety feature that will not allow you to accidentally or unintentionally move the lever to a wrong position which may be unsafe. For example, following are the operations which will not be allowed without pressing the button.
  • Shifting from Neutral to Reverse
  • Shifting from D mode to S mode
  • Shifting from D mode to Neutral or vice versa without foot on the brake
  • Shifting from P mode to any other mode

P mode does not engage a parking brake. Instead it engages a pin called parking pin that locks up the drive shaft. This pin will prevent the drive shaft to rotate. However, it is not that strong to take a heavy load like the car moving on a slope, or the car getting rear ended etc. That is why, you have to always engage the hand brake before engaging the gear to P mode.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 13:49   #77
Team-BHP Support

re: Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!

Ganesh, could you do me a favor? Please hook up the VCDS cable and post a screenshot of the ABS module (03-ABS Brakes). Would like to see the part number of the module they have in the TSI. The TDI gets an inferior unit without ESP. Thanks!

Should look like this:

Name:  abs.png
Views: 5463
Size:  72.8 KB
Old 26th November 2015, 16:48   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Ganesh, could you do me a favor? Please hook up the VCDS cable and post a screenshot of the ABS module (03-ABS Brakes). Would like to see the part number of the module they have in the TSI. The TDI gets an inferior unit without ESP. Thanks!
Hi Ganesh, here you go. Below is the screenshot of the ABS controller.

Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-abs_controller.jpg

When I open the ABS controller, I also see an error that .ROD file could not be found for this controller.

Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-abs_no_rod_file.jpg

Looks like Ross-Tech does not have details of this controller added to VCDS yet. Any way to locate this file in the net? I even got the latest 15.7 version VCDS cable, but the same problem. In early ownership reviews from Robi, Prithwi, they had mentioned about XDS setting that can give excellent cornering control. I believe this setting is in the ABS controller. Without the long coding helper, I am not able to tweak this.
Old 27th November 2015, 11:12   #79
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Ganesh. Appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Looks like Ross-Tech does not have details of this controller added to VCDS yet.
Precisely. This seems to be a new ABS unit compared to those that were installed on the first gen TSIs. From the VCDS thread's first post, here's the screenshot:

Quote:
Any way to locate this file in the net?
Nope. But there's an alternative. We just need to give a redirect on the label file to this controller. The label file can be opened by adding .txt extension to the end of XXX-SSS-FFF.lbl. Not replacing .lbl with .txt but adding to the end of it. Copy any random label file to a different location and try it out.

Quote:
Without the long coding helper, I am not able to tweak this.
You need to access the Adaptation menu not long coding for the XDS options.
Old 27th November 2015, 11:34   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Below is the screenshot of the ABS controller.
Guys, from where did u procure the VCDS cable and software.

Can you post links to alibaba/ebay for the seller you bought it from.

Last edited by freedom : 27th November 2015 at 11:38.
Old 27th November 2015, 13:47   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Guys, from where did u procure the VCDS cable and software.

Can you post links to alibaba/ebay for the seller you bought it from.
Hi Freedom,

The link from where I bought the VCDS cable is no longer active in AliExpress. Maybe the seller has been removed from AliExpress!!

Search for "VCDS" or "VCDS 15.7" and you will find many vendors listed. Look at the number of orders and number of feedback and buy. Before buying write to the vendor and confirm if you can do coding with the cable, or only read fault codes. There were some 14.x cables which were only able read fault codes, but not coding.

Quote:
You are most welcome Ganesh. Glad to be of help. For all I learn from your DIY threads, this is the least I can do for you

Quote:
Nope. But there's an alternative. We just need to give a redirect on the label file to this controller. The label file can be opened by adding .txt extension to the end of XXX-SSS-FFF.lbl. Not replacing .lbl with .txt but adding to the end of it. Copy any random label file to a different location and try it out.
When you say redirect, do you mean copy one of the label files and rename it to 6R0-907-379.lbl? If yes, how do I know which file to rename? There are so many files with XXX-907-379.lbl. I found one file 6N0-907-379.lbl. When I opened it, there is a comment that this is meant for Polo 6N. There is also a comment that the .lbl file is only a part of file set, and other support files are required as well. Still trying to figure out how their database works.

Quote:
You need to access the Adaptation menu not long coding for the XDS options.
The Adaptation button is not active for this controller. Maybe because it does not have enough information for adaptation.

I went through the Ross-Tech forums, and many people have created topics with missing .rod files. And maybe Ross-Tech keeps updating their data base with files for these new controllers. Without the original cable, I don't see anyway to get this controller added.
Old 9th December 2015, 16:14   #82
BHPian

Quote:
In the below picture, see the tab on the bottom edge of the IRVM. Press it and the IRVM will flip down by a small angle, and the strength of the reflection will reduce. In the night I flip this down, and the glare from headlights of vehicles behind is reduced.

Attachment 1440147
After coming to my hometown in Trivandrum for a vaccation, I noticed that my brother's 2011 ANHC and father's 2013 Micra had this manual dimming, which none of us knew till date. Now I have shown them all this feature and they were excited to learn a new feature in their old cars, thanks to your thread.
petrol_power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2015, 09:45   #83
Team-BHP Support

A few updates:

Installed Android HU. Details in below link.

Android Head-Unit in my Polo GT TSi

Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-before-after-2.jpg

Installed reverse camera. The camera is a retrofit to one of the number plate lights. Took the supply for the camera from the reverse light supply, routed the video cable through the roof to the A pillar to behind the glove box to the HU.

Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-fit-camera-assembly.jpg

The most exciting part of the install was creating custom guidelines calibrated for the car and the camera. For this, I drew reference lines behind the car, took a photo of these reference lines on the HU screen, used this picture as a reference layer and created custom guidelines matching these reference lines, and copied this new guidelines image into the android app that displays the camera video feed. Below is the final result - accurate to within 10cm.
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-final-result.jpg

Details of camera installation can be found in below link.

Reverse Camera Installation

Upgraded the cabin lights. I used Gannu's cabin light DIY as reference. This is a very simple DIY and took hardly 10 minutes. Gannu had used part number "3B0 947 105C Y20" in his car. However, I could not find this part number. I had contacted Mr. Tank from "Landsounds Technology Co. Ltd - Car Accessories" (Gannu gave this reference) in AliExpress and he responded saying that he has part number "1TD 947 105" which also fits the Polo. I then asked him to send some photos of the light. I compared the conductor pattern of this with the pattern in Gannu's thread. As they were a match, I went ahead and ordered. I paid $29 for the assembly. There are some other stores in AliExpress that have the same part for $20. However, I do not know if the quality of these will be the same as the one I received.

On a side note, I also ordered the RCD510 Mic assembly that fits this cabin light assembly to connect to my Android HU. But this was a failure. The RCD510 mic has some active circuit inside that needs bypassing to make it work with the Android HU. However, while trying to bypass this circuit, I broke the mic and $12 scrapped!

The new cabin light assembly.
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-dsc02637.jpg

Back side of the light assembly.
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-dsc02638.jpg

The original single light assembly that comes with the Polo GT TSi.
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-dsc02684.jpg

Inside the original light assembly.
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-dsc02686.jpg

The new light assembly.
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-dsc02695.jpg
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-dsc02697.jpg

Inside the new light assembly.
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-dsc02689.jpg

Sliding the switch to ON position turns on all the three lights. In "door open" position as well, all the three lights come on, and the cabin is brighter now. When the light is off, pressing the driver side or passenger side reading light switch turns on the light on that side.
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-dsc02700.jpg

Overall, a very simple and nice upgrade.

As of today, my upgrade wish list looks like this:
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-upgrade-list.jpg
graaja is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2015, 11:35   #84
BHPian

Nice updates. Have been following your threads right from your Jetta days which brings to my next question. Isn't your Jetta feeling left out now with Polo getting all the attention?
prabhuferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2015, 13:11   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Nice updates. Have been following your threads right from your Jetta days which brings to my next question. Isn't your Jetta feeling left out now with Polo getting all the attention?
Thanks

I am still enjoying the Jetta for those long drives. I am using the Polo only in city.

Also, there are two reasons why I am not doing any upgrades with Jetta. First, the Jetta is already fully loaded. All the modifications I am doing to the Polo are there in the Jetta (except for reverse camera and navigation in the HU). The second reason is I do not want to risk any warranty issues with the Jetta.

The only upgrades I would like to do with the Jetta are remap, Bilstein suspensions and 225 section tires. But for this I am planning to wait for at least 3 to 3.5 years (at least half way through the extended warranty).
Old 23rd January 2016, 21:43   #86
BHPian

Hi Graaja,

In terms of maintenance how easy is the carbon steel to maintain?

I'm booking my GT next this week and am still undecided whether to go for the carbon steel or the white.

Thanks
Old 24th January 2016, 07:37   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Hi Graaja,

I'm booking my GT next this week and am still undecided whether to go for the carbon steel or the white.

Thanks
Hi, as it has been just near 4 months, I think it is too early for me to comment on the maintenance of carbon steel and how it retains the look over long time. Maybe long term owners can comment on that.

But in general, as with any dark colored car, when it gets dusty, it does look bad. But when given a good shampoo wash, it just looks awesome! So I have a Jopasu duster which I use daily to dust the car, and once a week or 10 days, I give it a good shampoo wash. This keeps the car quite good looking. I do the washing myself and have invested in half a dozen of microfiber clothes, and a 3M car wash shampoo.

I don't know about the white, but if you go for carbon steel, and if your neighborhood is dusty, dusting the car daily with a Jopasu duster is a must, and also plan for once a week shampoo wash. That will keep the car looking new.
Old 25th January 2016, 20:27   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Hi Graaja,

Quote:
Maybe long term owners can comment on that.
Hi Nova9

My Carbon Steel TSI is now 14 months old. I wish I could put a photo of the car in its present state. But it has gone through its' second 3M treatment (Exterior Trizact Supreme, Interior Germkleen Plus) just yesterday. So it wouldn't be fair as it looks as good as new now.

The car is mainly driven by my wife. The exterior had undergone sufficient abuse by way of scratches and dents which I periodically corrected.

This particular shade has a dual personality to it. It appears glossy in daytime but looks matt black at night. Kochi is a dusty area with the traffic and Metro work going on. So dust and bird poop are more omnipresent and sadly easily seen on this colour. But like graaja noted, its' nothing a Jopasu duster (daily) and a periodic washing (I wash this every 3 days (without shampoo) and use shampoo every one or two weeks as required). Other days, just dusting and maybe a light rub-over suffices. One advantage I have found is that small scratches and dents stay hidden from afar.

Suffice to say it will maintain its' colour, but may require a bit more pampering than a white car would. If you don't live in a dusty area, it won't be that big an issue.
psispace is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 10:00   #89
BHPian

Re: DIY: Auto Headlight Switch

Quote:
DIY: Auto Headlight Switch

Finally, completed the auto headlight switch installation yesterday. Took all of 10 minutes to finish the job. completely (after a delay for the coming home function). No more worry about battery drain.

Hello graaja,

I got the same module yesterday and did the DIY install myself. Really useful function.

I have one question though. When the headlights turnon, the front parkings lights seems to turn off. Is this the case in your car too ?

In my car, the front parking lights drive the dimming of the Philips DRL. So I need the parking lights to be on when headlights are on.

I am going to tinker around tonight to check this once again. It will be great to know if you have this behaviour as well.
Old 29th January 2016, 11:18   #90
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY: Auto Headlight Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivasain View Post
I have one question though. When the headlights turnon, the front parkings lights seems to turn off. Is this the case in your car too ?
Hi, In my car, when headlights turn on, parking lights remain on. I too have connected the halos around the projectors to the parking light signal, and they remain on when headlights turn on.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks