Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2015, 20:50   #16
BHPian

Re: Driven: Volvo XC90

I love the XC90! Always felt that the previous version left a lot to be desired especially from a car which is expensive and competes against cars like the ML. However, I am happy to say that Volvo has given the XC90 some much needed change. I hope to see more of these cars on roads. Always loved Volvo as a brand. How hard is it to maneuver this car in traffic?
Old 2nd November 2015, 20:56   #17
BANNED

A nice short and sweet review. Had been waiting for the team-bhp official review for months and now its out.

The white one looks very elegant, yet smart and futuristic. Very happy to hear the initial response/bookings for the car. Hope alteast XC90 become a reasonable hit for the effort and dedication Volvo has put in for complete change from the previous generation one.

There's something special about Volvo cars when you spot them on road(V40,S60 and XC60) all are beautiful looking cars and I follow them till they disappear for sight.

Wishing Volvo good luck for bringing more cars out on roads and get better positioned as a brand in India.
volvo_harish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 21:20   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_vtec View Post
Great review ! The only flaw I see is the motor, but then again thats a personal preference.

Wish they at least offer the twin charged 4 cylinder petrol here as an option in this diesel crazy market. It pumps out 320hp and 400Nm. Wont be greedy and wish for the higher performing petrol hybrid (407 hp & 400Nm) !!!

Have they hinted they might be launching the twin charged petrol variant here ? Maybe as an "R Design" ?
Petrol definitely makes more sense in this segment. Also Volvo would get first mover advantage as well as there is no serious competition at this price point.
Old 3rd November 2015, 07:33   #19
BHPian

Outstanding review there akshay! XC90 is a well sorted car in all aspects but the motor in diesel variants is a major let down in my opinion. A 3.0L V6 diesel, at least as an option would be much appealing to enthusiasts in India albeit 2.0L TDI would be the one selling in decent numbers. Coming to safety this beast is a hands-down winner.
Pferdestarke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 11:21   #20
BHPian

I may stick out like a sore thumb but I do not like the interiors. Going minimalistic on buttons and plonking a large touch screen is not the greatest innovation. I would rather have some more buttons and knobs which are easier to operate while looking at the roads, than fiddle with a touch screen.

One crucial point - I always feel that mentioning the ex-showroom price is a bit like not telling the full story. The OTR of this in Mumbai is 1.1CR. Thus the ex-showroom cost, especially for imports or luxury cars are worthless. They just add to the footfalls in the showrooms but do not always convert into sales.

While on the Ex-showroom price, in my memory, the only manufacturer that offered a standard Ex price across India was Mitsubishi. Would want to hear thoughts on this and if it does make business sense to have that across more models. Rather than give stupid discounts on the sticker price, give a standard rate across India and then stick to that.
Khushrav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 12:49   #21
Team-BHP Support

Nice review there Akshay! Thanks for sharing. I feel Volvo is slowly gaining as an option in the luxury segment (250 odd bookings for the XC90 is quite good IMO). Their new design language is quite striking yet very elegant.

Does the XC90 comes with run-flat tyres, or do they provide a space saver spare?
Old 3rd November 2015, 16:41   #22
BHPian

Is it true that most of the active safety features that use radar are disabled in the Indian version because of our govt norms?
Old 3rd November 2015, 17:05   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
Is it true that most of the active safety features that use radar are disabled in the Indian version because of our govt norms?
Yes, this is why even the S class forgoes the Magic Body Control™, along with the human recognition camera for India.

Even if it was allowed I'm sure it would go nuts looking at some of our roads
Ash_vtec is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 17:14   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, this is why even the S class forgoes the Magic Body Control™, along with the human recognition camera for India.

Even if it was allowed I'm sure it would go nuts looking at some of our roads
So does that mean Volvo's claim to the safest car in the world is not applicable in India?
Old 3rd November 2015, 17:27   #25
BHPian

What you won't:

Volvo badge lacks the lure & pull of its German rivals
• Volvo's tiny 15 dealer network

Attachment 1420680[/quote]

Akshay1234 --great review!!! felt as if i was there myself!!

For reasons unknown Volvo doesn't seem totally committed towards the Indian market. Poor dealer network is an obvious sign of this.
Another one is the lack of an local factory/assembly line which all its 3 German counterparts have invested in.
Even Landrover is now assembling locally!!
Until Volvo puts this in place; they will find it very tough to compete IMHO
sanj947 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 18:17   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal9999 View Post
Petrol definitely makes more sense in this segment.
Quote:
Wish they at least offer the twin charged 4 cylinder petrol here as an option in this diesel crazy market. It pumps out 320hp and 400Nm. Wont be greedy and wish for the higher performing petrol hybrid (407 hp & 400Nm) !!!
A petrol would be fun to revv & the specs would look great on paper. When it comes to signing on the paperwork though, 99% of customers prefer diesel SUVs. There are many reasons for that:

• 2,000 kilo petrol SUV = 3 - 4 kpl.
• The diesels are generally more robust & reliable.
• They run on regular diesel just fine (unlike performance petrols which need high octane fuel).
• Longer highway tank range.
• Easier to sell. Try moving a high-end petrol car and you'll know what I mean. You'll get half the price of its diesel sibling and it'll take you 4 times the effort / time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khushrav View Post
Going minimalistic on buttons and plonking a large touch screen is not the greatest innovation. I would rather have some more buttons and knobs which are easier to operate while looking at the roads, than fiddle with a touch screen.
I agree and prefer buttons too, just like 80% of BHPians do - link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
Quote:
Things are looking up, guys - link.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 19:09   #27
BHPian

Fantastic review. This car means a lot for Volvo ; much more I'd assume than the new Q7 would mean for Audi. With many design awards (apart from the obviously high safety ratings), this is a departure from "boring" for Volvo design ethos - that itself shows how much they want this to succeed. I sincerely hope it does and take away some sales from X5s and Q7s.
Old 3rd November 2015, 19:53   #28
BHPian

Taking sales from the Q7 would probably not happen given the possible better (lucrative) pricing strategy by Audi - and the subsequent dealer discounts and bonuses, and the Audi Badge to the people with money and no knowledge - plus the 3.0 litre (and more fuel efficient engine) for the people with knowledge and money.

Last edited by harpreetkanwar : 3rd November 2015 at 19:55.
Old 3rd November 2015, 20:56   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A petrol would be fun to revv & the specs would look great on paper. When it comes to signing on the paperwork though, 99% of customers prefer diesel SUVs. There are many reasons for that:
I agree with all the above points but my perception has completely changed after owning Toyota Camry hybrid, I can hardly imagine going back to any diesel car - feeling the petrol pleasure after 10 long years.

Last edited by aah78 : 3rd November 2015 at 23:00. Reason: Quote fixed. Post edited.
Old 3rd November 2015, 21:18   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

• 2,000 kilo petrol SUV = 3 - 4 kpl.
• The diesels are generally more robust & reliable.
• They run on regular diesel just fine (unlike performance petrols which need high octane fuel).
• Longer highway tank range.
• Easier to sell. Try moving a high-end petrol car and you'll know what I mean. You'll get half the price of its diesel sibling and it'll take you 4 times the effort / time.

Things are looking up, guys - link.
Concur with your observations on the market preference for diesel. Its the sensible choice...you buy horsepower but drive torque.

It is a great move, no doubt... but given the Indian road conditions and habits of some drivers it would be interesting to see how well they cope ! The only reason manufacturers may relent and give the tech is more revenue for them because there are more things to go wrong and fix.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks