Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2017, 13:03   #46
BHPian

re: Review: Hyundai Creta Petrol Automatic (1st-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
AT's are all about comfort and sedate driving. I've never floored an AT like you do a manual; it can turn around an bite back and braking may turn a little scary as in the D mode it up shifts to a higher gear and engine braking is absent and you may feel the brakes are inadequate. In a manual you select a gear II or III and floor it and the box doesn't up shift till you want it to (engine braking), but in an AT it just moves on to a higher gear unless you're in manual mode and are in lower gear or S mode with paddle shift selecting a lower gear where you can red line it.
My experience of flooring the pedal in D mode in a Creta Petrol AT has been different . Have seen 3 distinct scenarios :

1. This is the laziest response. if you just press down on the A pedal slightly, there will be no downshift. There will be a lag before the vehicle picks up any speed/acceleration. Highly avoidable or do it only if you have ample time.

2. When you push down on the accelerator a bit quickly: If you are already in a higher gear , the AT box will downshift 1 or mostly 2 gears . If you repeat this again, after the box has already downshifted- it will again downshift 1-2 gears!!

2. Really put pedal to the metal and the box will take it to even Redline (if in lower gears) or downshift 2 gears, if in overdrive.

All said and done, this AT is a pleasure to drive and lets me do one additional thing that I was never able to do in MT cars;Engine braking while decelerating.

I would not do it due to shift shocks in MT- here I don't have a choice and can just feel the greater deceleration (but no shock) when the vehicle does engine braking.

I do however, dont like the fact that the gearbox will try to reach the top gear asap. Even around 45-50kmph. Guess, thats the price to pay for being in a nation that suffers from "kitna deti hai" syndrome.
BUXX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 13:21   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
2. When you push down on the accelerator a bit quickly: If you are already in a higher gear , the AT box will downshift 1 or mostly 2 gears . If you repeat this again, after the box has already downshifted- it will again downshift 1-2 gears!!
This situation happens with me every day, but the outcome is different. Coming from a NA petrol, after I go over a bump, I've the tendency to push the accelerator a bit too quickly. The car's usually around 1600-1800 RPM mark then and quickly rises to 2200 with a big grunt but lesser acceleration. Just then, the VGT turbo kicks in and it begins to get a steady boost but the AT box wants to upshift and RPM drop to 1500ish again.

All this gets even more complicated when I try to restrict the mark to 2000 rotations due to engine break-in period
Nonstop-driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 10:41   #48
BHPian

^^ There is no Turbo here. The Creta Petrol seems to be a NA engine.
BUXX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 00:17   #49
BHPian

I'm about to finalize the Creta AT and my running is mostly going to be in the city with may be a once in a blue moon highway trip. I can safely assume that the car will not run more than 1100 kms a month. Mostly, it'll be lower running. With a price difference of 1.72 lacs between the Diesel AT and Petrol AT would the petrol make the most sense? I keep my cars for a minimum of 7 years. I'm assuming the worse FE of 8 KMPL but that too in my city will be an exaggeration. But I'm compensating for my driver's heavy foot to everything! And advice or input will be greatly helpful. Thanks in advance.
Old 19th August 2017, 02:28   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
I'm about to finalize the Creta AT and my running is mostly going to be in the city with may be a once in a blue moon highway trip. I can safely assume that the car will not run more than 1100 kms a month. Mostly, it'll be lower running. With a price difference of 1.72 lacs between the Diesel AT and Petrol AT would the petrol make the most sense? I keep my cars for a minimum of 7 years. I'm assuming the worse FE of 8 KMPL but that too in my city will be an exaggeration. But I'm compensating for my driver's heavy foot to everything! And advice or input will be greatly helpful. Thanks in advance.
Plugging in the values into the excellent Cost Analysis spreadsheet by Racer911 over here

This is what comes up, an estimated 3.47 years for break even. Since you mentioned you will retain the car for 7 year, it makes a lot of sense to get the Diesel. All the fuel cost savings after 3.5 year is pure profit.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Hyundai Creta Petrol Automatic (1st-gen)-capture.png  

ts1506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 09:52   #51
BHPian

Go with the Petrol. FE is 8 in Delhi's bumper 2 bumper traffic . Even slightly free roads, it can touch 9-10 in city. Highway is 13+
BUXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 15:22   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
Go with the Petrol. FE is 8 in Delhi's bumper 2 bumper traffic . Even slightly free roads, it can touch 9-10 in city. Highway is 13+
How is the derivability of the petrol in the city? I am failing to secure a test drive for the petrol AT and hence can't take a call. The Diesel AT I've driven and pretty impressive but if I get more inputs on the Petrol AT i can take a call much more confidently.
Old 21st August 2017, 10:11   #53
BHPian

To me ,its very good, but get a TD first and then make up your mind.
Old 21st August 2017, 13:14   #54

Quote:
How is the derivability of the petrol in the city? I am failing to secure a test drive for the petrol AT and hence can't take a call. The Diesel AT I've driven and pretty impressive but if I get more inputs on the Petrol AT i can take a call much more confidently.
I've had the Petrol AT for almost a year & use it for a daily commute of about 25-30 KMs within Mumbai (mix of bumper-to-bumper traffic & few open roads).
You can expect FE of 9-10 KMPL for sure.
Having said that, except for the Diesel models getting tougher to dispose off in future, I still feel the Diesel is a better choice; especially so if can don't mind the additional 1.75 L upfront difference.
Coming to your question on the city use, I have never found it tough to overtake any vehicle & find its power more than adequate for this purpose.
I was lucky enough to be able to drive my friend's Diesel AT back-to-back with my Petrol AT & have these following observations:
1. Diesel definitely the better choice if you can afford it.(It also gets into Jeep category here, which you might want to consider too).
2. For the almost 2L savings on acquisition cost, I'm more than satisfied with my Petrol AT. (I have done a good amount of city as well as weekend getaways of 350-500 KMs one-way with varying terrain. She even handled the steep ghats with ease without the slightest of discomfort or scare for me or my co-passengers, and I was on a load of 4 Passengers plus luggage on this one.)
Old 21st August 2017, 15:26   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuruprasadR View Post
I've had the Petrol AT for almost a year & use it for a daily commute of about 25-30 KMs within Mumbai (mix of bumper-to-bumper traffic & few open roads).
You can expect FE of 9-10 KMPL for sure.
Having said that, except for the Diesel models getting tougher to dispose off in future, I still feel the Diesel is a better choice; especially so if can don't mind the additional 1.75 L upfront difference.
Coming to your question on the city use, I have never found it tough to overtake any vehicle & find its power more than adequate for this purpose.
I was lucky enough to be able to drive my friend's Diesel AT back-to-back with my Petrol AT & have these following observations:
1. Diesel definitely the better choice if you can afford it.(It also gets into Jeep category here, which you might want to consider too).
2. For the almost 2L savings on acquisition cost, I'm more than satisfied with my Petrol AT. (I have done a good amount of city as well as weekend getaways of 350-500 KMs one-way with varying terrain. She even handled the steep ghats with ease without the slightest of discomfort or scare for me or my co-passengers, and I was on a load of 4 Passengers plus luggage on this one.)
Thanks for the feedback. The cost of diesel isn't prohibitive at all its just that my house members including my father don't like diesels. My only worry is that diesels clatter and aging will make the car annoying for being a city runabout, the purpose for which its meant for. So if the refinement and ease of driving is there in Petrol AT than the extra saving on the the petrol AT makes it an icing on the cake. I agree hyundai's diesels are a preferred breed but the comfort and refinement of being in a petrol is also a thought to consider. But on the other hand the torque of diesel make the diesel AT an eually good city runabout. Like you too the car's running is going to be under 1000 kms a month for sure. Jeep isn't considered because we want an AT.
Old 21st August 2017, 18:43   #56

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. The cost of diesel isn't prohibitive at all its just that my house members including my father don't like diesels. My only worry is that diesels clatter and aging will make the car annoying for being a city runabout, the purpose for which its meant for. So if the refinement and ease of driving is there in Petrol AT than the extra saving on the the petrol AT makes it an icing on the cake. I agree hyundai's diesels are a preferred breed but the comfort and refinement of being in a petrol is also a thought to consider. But on the other hand the torque of diesel make the diesel AT an eually good city runabout. Like you too the car's running is going to be under 1000 kms a month for sure. Jeep isn't considered because we want an AT.
With the Reasons you mention above, your clear choice should be the Petrol AT.
Though, let me inform you that the Diesel motor is very refined & comfortable as well.
Also, as mentioned by "Nonstop-driver" in his post before; the Petrol motor will produce a slight grunt in initial acceleration at times but this is something you can overcome with little experience.
The Petrol AT should be your choice given your family's aversion to Diesels;
and believe me the Petrol won't disappoint in any manner, especially given your requirements. Also, the comfort, refinement & "looks" (still get it) once in the Creta will make you smile end-to-end & make everything worthwhile...
GuruprasadR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 11:25   #57
BHPian

So after 2 months finally my Creta Petrol AT SX+ got delivered yesterday. Haven't driven it much yet but what ever 10-12 kms I've driven the car is very silent and refined while driving. Surprisingly, I was told while delivering it that it had 5 liters of petrol in it. Drove about 6 kms to reach the regular fuel station and it took in 59 liters! Dunno but isn't the fuel tank capacity 55 liters? Also the dealership lied about 5 liters in it because the ODO at delivery was just 7 kms during delivery. Just inquisitive that's it.

Last edited by abs182 : 26th October 2017 at 11:28.
Old 18th January 2018, 15:22   #58
BHPian

Can someone point out to a post or video on how to remove the parcel tray.
Old 20th April 2018, 21:54   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Fuel efficiency :
100% city usage, moderate ac, not taken above 3k rpm

8.72kmpl (tankful to tankful method)

Hope it touches touches 10, considering car has only done 650km right now.
1)The car is about 1.5 years old now. Almost covered 15k kms and returning about 10kmpl in Gurgaon/ Delhi traffic constantly.

2)The automatic transmission is really smooth and silent in my opinion. It is reasonably quick for normal driving. Engine response is great at low and mid range RPMs. You can make progress at decent pace by letting gears change at 2.5k-3k rpm.

-Manual mode is not intuitive at all in regular driving. There is a jerk and lag when changing gears. Must be helpful in hill driving and steep declines, but otherwise best to slot into D. It takes a few days to get used to the transmission but after that you learn to modulate your acceleration for continuing in current gear/ dropping one gear/ flooring it and dropping two gears.

4)17 inch diamond cut alloys really complement the looks of the car. The Bridgestone Duelers are fairly silent. For me, coming from sedans and hatchbacks, bump absorbing capability is very good.

- The lights are very powerful, needs no upgrade. The horn is very very loud, does the job well while sounding very European, again no upgrade required.

-Slight body roll is present compared to equivalently priced sedans, but nothing to compared to fortuner, xuv, scorpio etc.

5)The auto variant is very popular. Most models I see on the road are auto. I know 3-4 people with diesel auto and 2-3 with petrol auto.

6)I would like to share my experience of driving a diesel auto on two different occasions (two different cars), in totality for about 20-30 km;
There is absolutely no difference performance wise according to me. Maybe diesel is better by 5-10% under load but that's it.

-Mileage of diesel is better by about 2 kmpl in similar city driving conditions.

-Vibrations are felt on brake and accelerator pedals, not present in petrol (diesel engine characteristics).

-Shake on start up & switching off ( again, diesel engine characteristics)

Many people get confused between Petrol and Diesel auto, I would be happy to answer any query.

7)An issue which has been discussed time and again, brakes. Simply put, the bite could have been much much better. I don't know how to explain it, but it feels like the pressure applied on the pedal doesn't directly translate to that much braking power.

8)All in all I think it's great car except some issues and lack of features, which would be nice to see in the facelift;
Xenon/ HID bulbs
Sunroof
Better Brakes
Leather seats and adjustable armrest, etc.
rayjaycleoful is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2018, 13:11   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post

Many people get confused between Petrol and Diesel auto, I would be happy to answer any query.
Hey rayjaycleoful, thanks for this detailed observation. You have indeed tried to cover the very basis differences between a petrol and a diesel auto which is very relevant to a prospective buyer.

I am in the market for an Automatic and a bit confused between Petrol and Diesel. My monthly drive would be somewhere around 900/1000 KMs at max with occasional highway rushes. At present, I own a Swift VXI which returns around 12/13 in city and 14-odd on highways. Will be great if my new steed continues to return the same FE. Diesel costs a whopping 2 Lakh more than the petrol. But, I have an innate desire to own a Diesel motor someday. Will the additional cost of Diesel justify considering I usually keep the car for more than 5 years? We should also consider the future fate of Diesel cars and the resale value.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!!
Pratyush

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks