Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2016, 22:11   #136
Team-BHP Support

Re: Jeep Cherokee

The following day, we attended the press conference held at the Umaid Bhavan Vilas.

We were taken through Jeeps impressive wartime heritage and we saw videos of Jeeps impressive off-road behaviour. Kevin spoke about Jeeps heritage. Summarising
  • Jeeps were originally built for the US Armed Forces - Jeep has a deep rooted DNA for off-roading. It has inspired many other brands (read Land Rover). ...but there is only one (Jeeps tag line)
  • Jeep denoted Freedom and Adventure. The Cherokee also adds add luxury and capability to its brand value. The Wrangler is the dependent vehicle to go anywhere.
  • It is celebrating its 75th anniversary by entering India
  • $280 million invested in Rajagaon to manufacture a Q3/X1 competitor
  • Jeep come with 2 year unlimited warranty + 2 year optional packages

We were given a virtual walk through of the Ahmedabad dealership. It was very impressive and a lot of capital has been sunk into it.

The prices were then announced.

Rs 72 L for the Jeep Wrangler - For what is a highly capable bare-bones machines, it is a non starter, one would want some luxury at this price. At around Rs 30L - it would have some takers

Grand Cherokee for between Rs 97 lakhs to Rs 1.03 Cr. The room was politely silent. As a benchmark, the Merc GLE350 also US sourced and slightly more advanced in design costs Rs 90L on road. Yes, it is locally assembled but the Jeep brand cannot offset the Mercedes quality and value

The relative bargain was the Grand Cherokee SRT at Rs 1.13 Crs. This is a lot cheaper than the AMG GLE63 although it many not be superior dynamically.

Summarising - the prices were ridiculous, you could blame duty structure etc but the Toyota Land Cruiser costs much less as also the well equipped Volvo XC90.

Jeep really stepped into the doggy do pile with the pricing. The only way out will be discounts or to wait for its locally made mid-size variant to provide the volume. Till then, I pity the dealer who invests so much in the Jeep branded dealership

As a strategy, Jeep might be building its brand without trying to lose money on each vehicle till they have a value proposition. Unfortunately, they have over-estimated the brand vis a vis its peers. Their pockets are a little shallow so the loss leader strategy might not work. May be they should have waited for the locally made product and then launched Jeep as an accessible premium brand.

Last edited by ajmat : 2nd September 2016 at 20:52.
ajmat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 22:24   #137
Team-BHP Support

Lets focus on the cars. As the Grand Cherokee is covered at length, I will talk more about the Wrangler and the SRT

The Wrangler

I love its imposing retro looks. You want to take it and wrestle in the mud with it. It is so easy to construct in India. The doors, roof and windscreen can be detached. The interiors can be hosed down.

Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-dsc_0166.jpg

Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-dsc_0217.jpg

Traditional 7 bar grill

Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-dsc_0128.jpg

Exposed bolts to remove the panels - roof, windscreen and doors - you can strip her and get down and dirty with her
Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-dsc_0169.jpg

Those bumpers will push an Indicab or two away
Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-dsc_0168.jpg

Dashboard - Tough and Utilitarian
Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-dsc_0242.jpg

Centre console - note all switches and mounted high up to avoid water ingress damaging them. System looks like something out of a Honda Brio. Electric windows are on the dash.
Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-dsc_0238.jpg
Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-dsc_0239.jpg

Heritage on a handle
Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-dsc_0240.jpg

Air Vents - simple tough quality
Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-dsc_0245.jpg

Lockable Central Cubby
Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-dsc_0246.jpg

Steering is not adjustable
Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-dsc_0243.jpg

Front Door Panel - Central locking and windows connect through a lead below
Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-dsc_0248.jpg

Twin Piece Tailgate
Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-dsc_0250.jpg

At Rs 72 lakhs, the Wrangler might have the ability, but the fit and finish does not merit the price. It is a shame that this car is so easy to assemble. This car is so versatile and nothing else exists above the Thar until the replacement for LR Defenders emerge.

Last edited by ajmat : 2nd September 2016 at 20:53. Reason: Rotating pic etc
ajmat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 22:30   #138
Team-BHP Support

Despite the sticker shock, the SRT is a bargain in terms of performance when compared to the AMG GLE 63 and Cayenne Turbo. However the differences compared to a normal Grand Cherokee are subtle.

The DRL's in the bumpers
Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-dsc_0161.jpg

Front bumpers with larger intake
Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-dsc_0162.jpg

SRT badges
Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-dsc_0223.jpg

Drugstore Style Ambience!
Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-dsc_0253.jpg
Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-dsc_0252.jpg

Carbon fibre trim
Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-dsc_0256.jpg

and less leather trim on dash
Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-dsc_0255.jpg

Compared to the Grand Cherokee
Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-dsc_0236.jpg

Optional Chromes and those Brembos
Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-dsc_0164.jpg

Discrete mudguard extensions for those 265/45 HR 20 tyres
Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-dsc_0218.jpg

Blacked out Rear Lights
Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-dsc_0225.jpg

Compared to the Chrome trimmed ones
Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-dsc_0231.jpg

Last edited by ajmat : 2nd September 2016 at 20:54. Reason: Rotating pic etc
ajmat is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 22:45   #139
Team-BHP Support

What is the Difference between the Limited and Summit versions of the Grand Cherokee?

Limited has a 2 speed transfer case.
Summit has electronic differential

Additionally, the Summit gains over the Limited
  • Courtesy lighting on its mirrors (puddle lamps)
  • 20" wheels compared to 18 "
  • Wood and leather steering wheel
  • Bluray 2 screen entertainment system + 8.4 touch screen audio
  • Leather trimmed dashboard

Rs 7 lakhs more for these!!! Upgrade the stereo outside and slap on wheels of your choice. You might be better off!

Last edited by ajmat : 2nd September 2016 at 20:46.
ajmat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 22:52   #140
Team-BHP Support

Snippets

Sat with the respective heads of R&D and Manufacturing over Brunch
  • FCA employ 1600 engineers for vehicle design in India. Assuming they are also involved in vendor development localisation like Renault-Nissan. A well priced locally assembled 20L Jeep is a possibility.
  • We cannot make a cheap enough Fiat. The Euro NCAP standards make final car pricing too expensive. Another issue is limited right hand drive volume to justify development costs.
  • Demand from Maruti for engines is slowing down - 1: Maruti expanded their capacity and 2: Policy changes has lowered demand
  • They felt the 2-cylinder Celerio diesel was mindless overkill.
  • Renegade will never come to India. (I guess it is the Yeti factor - size over capability)

Team-BHP were invited to the Jeep launch in Jodhpur. All travel and lodging expenses were borne by FCA

Last edited by ajmat : 2nd September 2016 at 20:55.
ajmat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 09:29   #141
BHPian

Re: Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee

86 lakhs for Wrangler unlimited. How many units are they planning to sell. I better be content with my die cast model. And smile driving my Indian Jeep the "Thar".

I guess its going to be a big news when they manage to sell their first unit. Or have they already?
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-img_20160828_205639_006.jpg  

Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 17:28   #142
Team-BHP Support

In case, you have missed it, my coverage of the launch event has been added to this thread on Page 9 and 10
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 19:21   #143
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Snippets
[*]Renegade will never come to India. (I guess it is the Yeti factor - size over capability)
This is such sad news Ajit
I truly wish these creatures up top were not so short sighted as they are.

I was hoping for the Renegade at a nice price.
I wonder why they are testing the Renegades so much here if they aren't going to launch it ever, as you say.

If indeed they give us the 30 lac mid sized Jeep Wrangler variant in India, then that is probably the only vehicle worth considering, because all the rest are as unattainable as the moon as certainly not worth the money even if one had that kind of money...

So for now the dear old Thar and Gypsy will sit back heave a sigh of relief and continue their wicked ways forever more while enjoying the Ka Ching of their blasted cash registers ringing against sales of what are frankly under equipped, ancient tech, heavily over priced products... sad, but thats the way of the Indian scenario.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 21:19   #144
BHPian

Excellent review with wonderful narration! Thanks.

I wonder what the strategy of Fiat Chrysler is with such an astronomical pricing. Though it is the iconic Jeep product with many decades of legendary stature, it simply could not be justified.

If Fiat is really committed to the localisation strategy by 2017, they can bring down the price considerably but wouldn't it be late to revive the sales from coma by then
Old 3rd September 2016, 02:11   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

I wonder why they are testing the Renegades so much here if they aren't going to launch it ever, as you say.
Bro, they aren't testing Renegade on India, its a compact SUV based on Renegade. It would be priced at 15-20 lacs and would complete with the likes of Creta.
Old 3rd September 2016, 05:53   #146
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Bro, they aren't testing Renegade on India, its a compact SUV based on Renegade. It would be priced at 15-20 lacs and would complete with the likes of Creta.
Ah I get it now. A smaller de specced "designed for India and Indians" version of a derivative of a Renegade, probably with half the kit and stuff that the Renegade has, to be made available here at a price point acceptable to the local consumer as an alternative to Brezza, Creta, Eco Sport and the Duster etc.

Will this vehicle be exported internationally, once it is made ready?
Will this vehicle have at least as much as a Skoda Yeti, to offer to the consumer?
Will it incorporate a lot of the original Jeep DNA or will it be a severely watered down version which is a Jeep only insofar as the name and insofar as the fact that it is made by Jeep in a real Jeep plant?

I would really love some answers to these questions.
Old 3rd September 2016, 09:30   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Ah I get it now. A smaller de specced "designed for India and Indians" version of a derivative of a Renegade, probably with half the kit and stuff that the Renegade has, to be made available here at a price point acceptable to the local consumer as an alternative to Brezza, Creta, Eco Sport and the Duster etc.

Will this vehicle have at least as much as a Skoda Yeti, to offer to the consumer?

Will it incorporate a lot of the original Jeep DNA or will it be a severely watered down version which is a Jeep only insofar as the name and insofar as the fact that it is made by Jeep in a real Jeep plant?

I think it's a poorly kept secret that we will get the new Compass. They're tossing the name C SUV around a lot.
reihem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2016, 09:45   #148
BANNED

Re: MY DESIRED JEEP COMPASS and PATRIOT SPECS: Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
I think it's a poorly kept secret that we will get the new Compass. They're tossing the name C SUV around a lot.
If indeed this is true then I don't mind at all if I can get the attached spec.
I think this will more than serve what I want in a vehicle.

Except that, it absolutely MUST have the same level of features and capabilities as my Yeti does, if not more than the Yeti. And for that, I am prepared to pay the price.

And I wonder why they can't consider bringing in the Patriot. I like its Boxy looks better actually!

And lastly, I sincerely wish they would bring in the Recon Green Shade - it is ABSOLUTELY Perfect for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-screenshot-20160903-09.40.37.png  

Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-screenshot-20160903-09.40.43.png  

Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-screenshot-20160903-10.01.20.png  

Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-screenshot-20160903-10.01.35.png  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jeep Compass - Build & Price - Vehicle Summary.pdf (228.0 KB, 231 views)
File Type: pdf Jeep Patriot - Build & Price - Vehicle Summary.pdf (228.1 KB, 190 views)

Last edited by shankar.balan : 3rd September 2016 at 10:03.
Old 3rd September 2016, 14:39   #149
BHPian

Quote:

Well, Renegade is known for its on and off road capabilities, so if we are getting a lower version derived from it, it seems plausible that it will retain those attributes, along with 1.5/1.6 MJD, it should be a nightmare for the existing competition, if priced right.

All the Jeeps would be manufactured at the Fiat's Ranjangaon Plant, near Pune.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2016, 17:18   #150
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Well, Renegade is known for its on and off road capabilities, so if we are getting a lower version derived from it, it seems plausible that it will retain those attributes, along with 1.5/1.6 MJD, it should be a nightmare for the existing competition, if priced right.

All the Jeeps would be manufactured at the Fiat's Ranjangaon Plant, near Pune.
I think that despite all this speculation and hope, we are ultimately going to get something derived from the Fiat 500L platform which will be SUV-fied. Im pretty sure they will pitch themselves with this vehicle derivative, against the current crop of Creta, S Cross and the likes of those if the above is true.

Next, they just might consider bringing in the Compass or Patriot. See my earlier post with the Top Spec versions which are priced ~ 27-29K USD. If indeed they are able to bring these vehicles into India at prices which are equivalent ~ 20-25 lacs on road, then they most definitely have some takers. However, with indigenisation and local assembly based on CKD's and things they just might surprise us with the pricing (if they decide to offer us these options in India).

Im also given to understand that following this damp squib of a launch of the Cherokee SRT, the Grand Cherokee and the Wrangler Unlimited, the next slew of launches are only going to be around the 3rd quarter of next year 2017.

By that time my Yeti will be about 6 years old, so the timing just might be right.

Personally I am hoping that these fellas bring in the Renegade as per the specs attached here, and at a fair price range. I am also hoping that they offer the Wrangler Normal Short Chassis version again at a fair price range.

Looking at the specs sheets, the pricing is not hugely different across any of the Jeeps I ve chosen and specced up!

If only these fellows would allow us also to get a piece of history and a piece of this lovely brand at a fair price!
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-screenshot-20160903-14.58.42.png  

Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-screenshot-20160903-14.58.42.png  

Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-screenshot-20160903-14.58.49.png  

Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-screenshot-20160903-14.58.49.png  

Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-screenshot-20160903-15.07.31.png  

Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-screenshot-20160903-15.07.41.png  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jeep Renegade - Build & Price - Vehicle Summary.pdf (228.9 KB, 266 views)
File Type: pdf Jeep Wrangler Normal - Build & Price - Vehicle Summary.pdf (204.1 KB, 263 views)

Last edited by shankar.balan : 3rd September 2016 at 17:29.

Most Viewed