Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2016, 13:48   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee

Another heartbreak! I was really hoping for the Wrangler to be priced competitively. Besides the uber rich, who would want to take their 1cr Jeep off-roading? Its not going to quite give the G-Wagon effect when parked in a 5-star hotel lobby as well.

As for the Cherokee, only the SRT version seems to be good enough but for 1.5cr (maybe more in Bangalore), its just not worth it. Time to call Ford about the Endeavour.

RIP JEEP!
Fullrevs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 13:53   #47
BANNED

I don't know how many of those who read the prices have regained consciousness, but this pricing seems to be the work of someone who have been unconscious for a long time and woke up thinking the year is 2050. I can definitely recommend very fine neurologists who have dealt with similar cases.

So those at Fiat India, who are still having some consciousness contact me, so that we get this sorted out at the earliest. We enthusiasts don't want Fiat to die this fast. Being sick is not a crime, but not getting treated definitely is.
The Rationalist is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 13:57   #48

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 31st August 2016 at 11:42.
Eagle1 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th August 2016, 14:00   #49
BHPian

Hahaha!! What a Joke. The Wrangler ought to have been 25-30 Lakhs OTR and the Grand Cherokee 30-40 Lakhs. Gives new meaning to the phrase Dead on Arrival.
Old 30th August 2016, 14:03   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijnoirhammer67 View Post
On a serious note, there was this actor named Anton Yenchin, he was around 25/26 years old. Good chap, made some pretty decent movies. He died recently, bout a month or more ago and may he RIP, because of a transmission failure from his car
This was not really due to transmission issue, but the vehicle did not warn the driver adequately (not so clear chimes) when the door was opened and the vehicle was not in PARK mode. The problem meant drivers could be left unaware whether their car was in neutral or park when they left the vehicle.

Drivers thinking that their vehicle’s transmission is in the PARK position may be struck by the vehicle and injured if they attempt to get out of the vehicle while the engine is running and the parking brake is not engaged.

The vehicle rolled back down the star’s drive, which is on a steep incline. Authorities investigating the tragedy have not yet established why Yelchin was out of his car but it is believed the 4×4 rolled back down his driveway’s steep incline, ramming him into the pillar.

Source:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/130860...-in-car-crash/
cbatrody is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 14:08   #51
BHPian

I have seen a few posts explaining the insane pricing on CBU taxes, but we already have Volvo who incur the same taxes as Jeep.

Now the GC Limited is priced at $39,565. The nearest priced model (not like to like ofcourse) from the Volvo stable I could find in the USA site was the S60 T6 priced at $39,450. Now the T6 sells here for 42-45 lakhs exshowroom while the GC will sell for 91.1 lakhs exshowroom. I think the XC60 is priced exactly the same as the GC limited as well but is exactly half of the GC while paying the same taxes

If Volvo who pay the same CBU taxes can price their products in that range, surely Jeep can do that as well? Feel sorry for the dealers.
kartavya is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 14:12   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatrody View Post
This was not really due to transmission issue, but the vehicle did not warn the driver adequately (not so clear chimes) when the door was opened and the vehicle was not in PARK mode. The problem meant drivers could be left unaware whether their car was in neutral or park when they left the vehicle.

Drivers thinking that their vehicle’s transmission is in the PARK position may be struck by the vehicle and injured if they attempt to get out of the vehicle while the engine is running and the parking brake is not engaged.

The vehicle rolled back down the star’s drive, which is on a steep incline. Authorities investigating the tragedy have not yet established why Yelchin was out of his car but it is believed the 4×4 rolled back down his driveway’s steep incline, ramming him into the pillar.

Source:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/130860...-in-car-crash/
Yes all you've stated is true. I did not mention all that, i just added the link so people could read. I never understood why people put their cars in Neutral mode (N). Its a rather shame he died, he was a very funny actor and he also came in Star trek. As soon as i read the news bout his demise, i knew id never buy this car. If i even see it on the road, I'm far far away from it as possible.
And everything you've mentioned is correct, but it only makes me wanna stay from this car further. 1 cr for the problems we've posted? I dont know whats the proper automobile term for this predicament the Grand Cherokee SUV is regarding its N and P problems. Buts its a DOA
Old 30th August 2016, 14:13   #53
Team-BHP Support

Re: Jeep reveals Indian specifications of Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
At least SVP had the grace to say that he questions the pricing while announcing the figures:
https://t.co/j0cCmfYtrt

Autocar, in its detailed report releasing the pricing has not made even a passing qualitative observation that the pricing is on the higher side. Despite it being WAY OVER all the expected figures they had previously quoted.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ia-402871.aspx.

I find that surprising given how shocking the nos are.
oops. I don't know whether they edited the article or whether I missed but Autocar has in fact mentioned that the prices are on the higher side.

Akshay - super review mate. I was really looking forward to see what Jeep brings to the table but like everyone has mentioned before, at these prices, its never really going to move any meaningful units, if any at all.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 14:34   #54
BHPian

Here's a conspiracy theory behind Jeep's exorbitant pricing:

Jeep saw Fortuner's good sales number in India. They also noticed that real enthusiasts who bought Fortuner for its off-road capabilities are very rare while the major chunk of people bought it for its road presence. So they concluded that there are many cash rich people in India who would buy big cars as status symbols.

Now there was no chance of launching in the Fortuner price bracket due to Jeep's better engine and CBU related taxes so they considered launching it in the Q5/Q7 segment. But they understood that Jeep is not popular among the non-enthusiasts in India unlike BMW, Audi, Merc. So no filthy rich non-enthusiast would consider buying Jeep brand for that amount of money.

This is when someone in Jeep came up with the idea of launching their products at 1 crore pricing so that Indian media would go crazy hearing this news and broadcast "breaking news" of an American company launching big vehicles in India for Rs 1 crore. Jeep would then become popular as a premium American brand among the people who have never heard of the brand before. This would help them position their product among the luxury German brands.

Finally, Jeep would revise their GC prices to match with the likes of Q7 and offer freebies like service packages, accessories etc. and get their share of the pie in the luxury cars segment.

This popularity and premium brand image combined with good launch prices of their upcoming vehicles like the Renegade would be the final nail in the coffin to make their place in the Indian market.

Darn good marketing strategy if it works out!
anshumandun is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 14:53   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post

This is when someone in Jeep came up with the idea of launching their products at 1 crore pricing so that Indian media would go crazy hearing this news and broadcast "breaking news" of an American company launching big vehicles in India for Rs 1 crore. Jeep would then become popular as a premium American brand among the people who have never heard of the brand before. This would help them position their product among the luxury German brands.

Finally, Jeep would revise their GC prices to match with the likes of Q7 and offer freebies like service packages, accessories etc. and get their share of the pie in the luxury cars segment.

This popularity and premium brand image combined with good launch prices of their upcoming vehicles like the Renegade would be the final nail in the coffin to make their place in the Indian market.

Darn good marketing strategy if it works out!
Not bad! That's the optimistic way to look at it.

But I see some flaws in this strategy, to state a few:

- the way our Indian market plays, if the perception is made that the product is not VFM or rather say if the product is not worth the money that is asked it will be a market dud.

- once a market dud, it's hard to win back the hearts

- bringing down the prices with some amount of localization will raise a few eyebrows (though there would be a reason behind it, not all go into such details)

- also, bringing down the prices would mean the first loyal customers, who might buy even with these high prices would feel shortchanged

- worst still, people might just wait for the prices to come down and the initial lot itself is not moved. In this case, Jeep India might scrap the idea of localization and we would be back to square one

For FCA's sake the Jeep's entry itself should have been bang-on and not like a politicians assurance "Tomorrow we will do this and that!"

Disappointed!
teemus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 15:10   #56
BHPian

Jeeps fate in India ......
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: Jeep Grand Cherokee-jeep-meme-12.jpg  

John is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 15:14   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

The only explanation I have is that FCA want to position Jeep as a halo product, and bring in the Fiat CUV as the equivalent mass-market product. Similar design cues, some common branding, etc. Like how the Toyota Fortuner piggy-backed on the fame of its bigger brothers. In such a scenario, sales don't matter as much as being able to display one or two of these Jeeps in the metros.

Either that, or Italy has allowed recreational drugs in the boardroom.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 15:25   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
Can't believe that Fiat already killed the goose, even before it entered the market.

As it is a Fiat depreciates twice faster than earth's one revolution cycle. Secondly this being supposedly a luxury marque, will depreciate even faster.. & then pick the second hand one at what 10- 20 lacs..

Not a bad deal I would say..
Don't think even after FCA's astronomical depreciation, prices will reflect true value! Even a 50L car would depreciate to admirably.

I'm actually quite stunned. Had set my eyes on 2017 to trade my Vento in for Patriot / Renegade equivalent as the next upgrade.

Alas.
Annibaddh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 15:54   #59
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by GTO : 31st August 2016 at 11:44.
Mafia is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th August 2016, 15:55   #60
BHPian

Wonder how Grand Cherokee performs in ride and handling area.

2014 year model of Grand Cherokee has failed the Moose Test (A practical test to test the evasive maneuvering capability of a vehicle when a obstacle appears suddenly in front of vehicle - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moose_test).

Grand Cherokee almost toppled itself in this test and busted its tires. Its a rare phenomenon for a vehicle to exhibit such a dangerous behavior. The video says that it happened with Grand Cherokee after Mercedes A Class overturned during this test in 1997.

Below is the video. Hopefully they have this problem addressed in the model they have released in India.

deepaktpatil is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks