Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2017, 15:47   #31
BHPian

Hyundai Tucson 2.0L CRDi GLS - Thunder Black Boom Shankar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
I did not check the Carplay in his car as both of us do not have an iPhone but Android auto works surprisingly well and absolutely no lag.
Oh, CarPlay has no lag. It's just not fleshed out properly in its implementation. Also, a proper advantage of using Android Auto is you get full Google maps ensuite. Apple maps are crappy for India. I do have a an old Xiaomi lying around. Will give that a try soon.

Quote:
Open the bonnet and there is a dedicated horn in the LHS of the engine bay just for that beep, remove the plug connected to it.
Such a noob I am that I couldn't find the horn. I could hear it close by, I just couldn't figure out where exactly it was. Could you show me with a picture? Also, is that horn just for this beep, it wont affect the regular horn sound?

Quote:
I am planning to add a resistor this weekend to reduce the beep sound in his Tucson.

Didn't it go away after unplugging the horn? Or does your friend want a beep, albeit muted?

Edit: called the service head at the dealership and he explained it to me over the phone. Its right below the coolant reservoir. Lovely. One major annoyance solved. Thanks mjumrani! This is why this forum is, as sone would say, da bomb!

Last edited by ach1lles : 16th February 2017 at 16:12.
ach1lles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 17:08   #32
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Tucson 2.0L CRDi GLS - Thunder Black Boom Shankar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
Didn't it go away after unplugging the horn? Or does your friend want a beep, albeit muted?
Yes, he wants the beep but at a lower and less annoying volume. Audio confirmation is good but not like how Hyundai has implemented.
mjumrani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 19:29   #33
BHPian

Congratulations ach1lles. Tucson is in my shortlist right now. Had two test drives already. This review is going to be great help for me. Thank you. I may PM you if I have specific questions.
sj_koova is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 23:16   #34
BHPian

Congrats ach1lles for the beauty in black. Great review and insight. I couldn't help but notice the Rahul Karnal Hyundai banner in the background of your photos. Great to find someone from the same city . Since you have got the 3M treatment done, which dealer did you go to?
Thanks
eddy481 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 00:15   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
I may PM you if I have specific questions.
Sure mate. You can post questions here too, I'd be happy to answer, and here they may be useful for others on the forum also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy481 View Post
Great to find someone from the same city . Since you have got the 3M treatment done, which dealer did you go to?
Thanks
Cheers, though I'm actually from Panipat. The MD of RKH is a personal friend. I got the 3M treatments done from their outlet at Kailash colony, Delhi.
Old 17th February 2017, 09:18   #36
BHPian

Congratulations ach1lles. The car looks super hot in black! Wishing you many happy miles with her. I could relate to many aspects of your buying thought process.

I have two questions:
  1. What is the longest drive you have done with her so far and how were the seats comfort wise for the long drive?
  2. How does the steering compare with the Creta? How is the feedback?
ragh_bhushan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 11:30   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragh_bhushan View Post
What is the longest drive you have done with her so far and how were the seats comfort wise for the long drive?
The longest drive I've done so far has been 120 kms or so, but not without traffic at any time. Its kind of short but no complaints comfort wise. I'm totally engrossed in finding that gap I can go for in sport mode Also many times when the drive has ended late night, I've wanted it to not end. Haha.

If it's just the seats, I believe they have become more accommodating and softer as they've been used, kind of like a shoe, so they are more comfortable now. Still they don't hug me as well as I would've liked. At this time I still prefer a low down seating position. Whenever I sit in my i20 or Swift, I feel I'm in a better driving position. This will probably change as I drive more of the Tucson. There's another thing too. Whenever in the city, I'm tensed when I'm driving the Tucson. An expensive repair bill is just an idiot's fancy away. The bikers here are absolutely atrocious. There is general traffic mayhem, so much so, that I find Delhi's traffic a lot calmer. Someone has already scrubbed my rear fender while the car was parked properly on the side of the road. Hopefully it is just surface damage and can be taken out. This is solely the reason I'm contemplating getting a local beater car.

Quote:
How does the steering compare with the Creta? How is the feedback?
I'm enough of a noob to not understand what steering feedback means. Maybe I'm inert to this sensation, or I've never driven a car that provides it in an obvious enough way for me to 'get' it. This is why this part was absent in my review too. As far as Creta's steering goes, the auto variant steering was a joke. It was thin and naked plastic. I think they've made it leather now; it isn't in my friend's car that I had been driving. My 7 year old i20 has a much better steering wheel. Tucson's steering is great to hold. It really feels nice to take a grip on. It is certainly much better quality with material feel, and the buttons feel excellent to use.
ach1lles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 16:53   #38
BHPian

Quote:
I'm enough of a noob to not understand what steering feedback means. Maybe I'm inert to this sensation, or I've never driven a car that provides it in an obvious enough way for me to 'get' it. This is why this part was absent in my review too. As far as Creta's steering goes, the auto variant steering was a joke. It was thin and naked plastic. I think they've made it leather now; it isn't in my friend's car that I had been driving. My 7 year old i20 has a much better steering wheel. Tucson's steering is great to hold. It really feels nice to take a grip on. It is certainly much better quality with material feel, and the buttons feel excellent to use.
It's about how connected you feel with the road. When driving on a bumpy road, the steering should let you know how the surface is. How confidence inspiring is it at high speeds. There's a TBHP thread for this. Here's the link

The reason why I asked about steering is that Hyundai has a bad reputation for steering feel / feedback. My friend's Creta and a Verna that I have driven were quite poor in the steering wheel department. Autocar India review mentions that Tucson's steering is well-weighted but with a slight vagueness.
ragh_bhushan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 17:03   #39
BANNED

Buying a second beater car will save you a lot of headache and heartache, but after spending so much and getting used to the luxury, power, and features it's a hard sell.
I would think something along the lines of a used d segment Sedan, or a premium hatch (used)
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 20:47   #40
Senior - BHPian

That is one excellent ownership review. I just opened it on my phone to have a quick glance on the review and ended up reading every word of it and very stiff neck.
Your love for the car truly shows in your writing. I believe that a beater car well not be much of a use as you would never like it over the Tuscon.

Wish you many happy miles with your car!
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 23:37   #41
BHPian

Quote:
It's about how connected you feel with the road. When driving on a bumpy road, the steering should let you know how the surface is. How confidence inspiring is it at high speeds.
Oh, I know about what it is, and I've read and heard this many, many times. I just don't get it, or maybe I just don't process it. For example, I didn't find any difference in steering "feedback" between my i20 and the Mini Cooper S, the Civic, Swift, Tucson, Creta etc. Only mentioning cars that I've driven for over a thousand kilometres. Sport mode stiffens up the steering and I feel that it is heavier, but I still don't know physically what feedback means. It's moo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Buying a second beater car will save you a lot of headache and heartache, but after spending so much and getting used to the luxury, power, and features it's a hard sell.
Honestly, as of now I really don't enjoy local drives in the Tucson here. Whenever I take my older cars around, I'm much more relaxed psychologically. On the other hand, getting a beater will mean I don't get to spend enough time with this car, which again, I won't like too much. I know, first world problems, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
I would think something along the lines of a used d segment Sedan, or a premium hatch (used)
Was thinking the same thing if I do decide to get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
That is one excellent ownership review. I just opened it on my phone to have a quick glance on the review and ended up reading every word of it and very stiff neck.
Your love for the car truly shows in your writing.
Thanks man, glad you liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I believe that a beater car well not be much of a use as you would never like it over the Tuscon.
That's exactly the conundrum I am in. Even if I do get a beater, I won't be able to enjoy this car, the car I've waited for for so long, and stretched and actually really like.

I guess this is what they mean by 'quality of life'. I have to feel and think this way purely because of the conditions around me that I can't control at all.
ach1lles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 00:16   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Cheers, though I'm actually from Panipat. The MD of RKH is a personal friend. I got the 3M treatments done from their outlet at Kailash colony, Delhi.
So then we are neighbours mate . Thanks for the information.
eddy481 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 23:28   #43
Senior - BHPian

Awesome review
Wishing you happy mile crunching.

I was waiting for the Tucson's launch since an year.
Was disappointed with the pricing,so much that Endeavour and Fortuner were giving an impression of value for money.

Dont know what was Hyundai smoking up while deciding on the pricing
30 L OTR and no 4WD?
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 06:00   #44
BHPian

Congratulations Ankit on your beautiful ride. I have seen the Tucson on the road many a time recently and it is definitely a head turner and has so much road presence. I am not a fan of Hyundai typically but this is one car that could possibly be the right choice for me if I were to go that route. You've written a great initial ownership review and highlighted the right stuff too. Its great to see that they've made such a capable car albeit with some really bad cost cutting measures. I mean full auto windows on all four doors should be a default on every car that crosses 10 lakhs at least I feel.

Please do keep sharing more photos and details from your ownership journey. Happy miles to you and have a great day
sandeepsarma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 23:18   #45
BHPian

Number Plate Shenanigans

I'm font finicky. I was pretty sure the guys won't have the font I'd want in the number plate, but I was willing to compromise a bit if they had one which was appreciably similar. They didn't.

Hyundai Tucson 2.0L CRDi GLS - Thunder Black Boom Shankar-avenir.gif
Avenir, from identifont.com It is an evolution of 'Futura'.

Why did I want this? It's precise, correct, clear, and to my eyes it is one of the most proportionate.

So what did I do when he expectedly told me that they didn't have it? I asked to speak to the guy designing the plate on the computer. I told him he could download it, it had a free license, and Whatsapp'ed him the link. I then asked him not to include any borders, or basically any ink except for the exact alphanumeric phrase, the 'number'. I also asked him to make it matt silver, and to send me the mock up before commencing fabrication. I could feel the "who the hell is this guy" vibe from the shop guy but he was nice enough to oblige everything.

All this and the rear plate would have to be remade. Why? Just look at where he screwed the damn plate at. Sheesh. I swear one of these days..

Hyundai Tucson 2.0L CRDi GLS - Thunder Black Boom Shankar-fullsizerender.jpg
They needed to be 2 inches north to where they are right now. The other screw is obscured by the black. Also, the screws need to be flat topped so as not to stick out like that. Messy.
ach1lles is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks