Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2017, 17:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium

This will be a bare-bones, yet another boring review, of my new car; this time from the American stables, the so called quickest diesel hatchback currently in India. Moreover, there will be repeated comparisons with the cars I am acquainted with the most. Now fasten your belts or skip the crap.

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20170115_125924001.jpg

Once I hated the American Chevy Beat (petrol) and myself for buying a lousy car, but this time I decided to go the Ford way any way; and did I prove myself wrong? To be frank, I will put it straight heads up: this does not feel a beater car, the one which can be thrown around for any kind of job, the New Figo is more of a cruiser is what I feel and a good one at that. Another Chevy Beat? Not exactly, since the Figo is a diesel; otherwise yes, a bit toy-ish feel is present, overall you feel too light about the car and does not feel confident in throwing the car around like a Swift or a Liva. Yeah, those were the only other contenders I considered. Why a hatch back, why a replacement, why coming down from a German sedan, all answered more boringly here. This is the first time our family is buying a car without our guiding light, my dad, and it hurts; he was the one who passed down the car spirit to me from his Padmini days.

Why the New Figo? The Figo hit my mind from the time there was a news that the New Figo will have close to 30 kmpl fuel efficiency; yeah I admit that I am a FE freak, but definitely a torque freak too. Then came the Aston Martin-ish design that no one can turn a blind eye on; and the reviews were positive and finally @karan561's video review. Now I had the chance to drive the Swift and Liva for a longer time and was impressed with both especially the Liva. Liva and the Punto are my type of cars, those which impart a real feel to drive (the connect, as I call; Swift scores closely too) yet is comfortable and yet can be thrown around. I couldn't even think about a new Fiat considering their service performance, so out goes the Punto straight away. The Liva lost on bland interiors and the BHP numbers ~67 which is not much improvement from my Micra and of course it costs a lakh more than the Figo. To be frank, I didn't like the build quality of the test-drive Figo, the brakes squealed, the windshield cracked, the control stalks flimsy and the doors squeaked at just 11k kms. More on the test drive and my initial impression here. But I had to stand corrected after my second visit to the Ford showroom; I found that the door panel is no where flimsy compared to the Micra, Liva or a Swift or a Honda. In fact the door is very heavy that it feels like going a bit down upon opening. This is definitely against the popular opinion that build quality of the New Figo is flimsy. After driving some miles, I got that it is just that the whole car feels a bit light, not the doors definitely.

Finally it all boiled down between the Swift and the Figo. And at one time, I almost ditched the Figo as it didn't seem too good and Ford was quoting a horrible resale for my Micra. I have been to the Maruti showroom soon afterwards and was given a manager-used Swift which had horrible rattling which immediately put my mind off the Swift too. A few more months passed by when I could finally dispose my Micra and get the Figo. And the good news was that the Figo Titanium's price was slashed by almost 55k by then!

This is the one:

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20161102_101413.jpg

A collage of our old cars:

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-collages9.jpg

Last edited by thoma : 7th February 2017 at 17:44.
thoma is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 14:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium

Likes, in order of preference

• Excellent NVH, especially coming from a Micra Diesel and a Vento Diesel. The main irritant with my Micra was the A/C compressor switching on and off felt inside the cabin; I was having a tough time bearing with the Micra's NVH overall. And I'm delighted that the Ford is better than the VW too.
  • Looks; I've fallen for the Aston Martin-ish front. The only grouse here is the thin tyres that let down the looks.
  • Safety features; ABS and airbags at this price are most welcome.
  • Cost; one of the lowest among the competition. So is the service cost, as promised; feels good to know the service costs upfront.
  • Interior space, especially at the back.
  • Driving comfort, tagged with the low NVH; I am not that tired after long trips now. It's more of a cruiser. Road and engine noise is far better reduced than in a Micra.
  • Lots of power on tap, in turbo zone.
  • Seats are adequately comfortable, especially the thigh support.
  • Amount of effort gone into designing each and every part, particularly the plastics. Yet I have to mention a disadvantage in the same breath. This over designing is meant to go along with higher quality plastics; with the plastic put on the Indian build, all these extra designing can lead to rattling, nothing else. Examples of keen designing: the plastic on the top of the bonnet is fused with rubber at the edge, unnoticed cubby hole bang right of the dashboard thrown away by the usual eyes. The smart phone holding dock is another example.
  • All black interiors are a boon especially with kids.

Dislikes

• Not as fuel efficient as advertised. Especially when the fuel gauge is calibrated over a wider angle and with a needle instead of bars, a single trip to the town reflects on the gauge. The Micra however over-delivers. I am getting just 19.2 kmpl on a practical highway trip whereas for the same trip the Micra could deliver a 22.X kmpl.
  • Front suspension is not heavily built so that we do not feel like throwing the car around.
  • Tire size should have been one step wider for variants with alloys at the least.
  • Do not feel the 100 horses below the turbo zone. The horses come alive at higher RPM and enjoyed in higher speeds. Lower end is bland; whereas the Micra was a pocket rocket which could pick up from any RPM any gear.
  • No keep-on-holding headlamp dimming pass switch. Either the switch is at on or off, we can't hold on to dim till a vehicle passes. This is frustrating.
  • Fuel sloshing sound is heard inside the cabin which goes against the otherwise excellent NVH.
  • Pretty ordinary speakers. Add to it, the USB player have no easy folder skip option; playing the next folder is a real pain.
  • Engine not as revv-happy as a swift or a Hyundai.
  • Visibility, not as good as it seemed in my initial test drives. The wiper obstructs some of the front view; have to change to Bosh Aero Twins for slightly better visibility upfront. A pillars too obstruct view a bit. Overall, not as easy as a Micra in this department.
  • The clutch is a bit heavy after the half way mark. The Polo’s is a delight to use.
  • Accelerator pedal need to be depressed a bit more; bad design here. I am getting slight knee ache in the right leg because of this on long drives.
  • High loading lip eats into the practicality of the boot.
  • The ECM raises the engine RPM sometimes which looses the feel of being connected with the engine. Whenever we are on a sudden overtaking maneuver, the engine RPM does not settle down to idle immediately once we lift the foot off the accelerator pedal.

Last edited by thoma : 7th February 2017 at 20:08.
thoma is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 21:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Borrowing Team-BHP's ownership review framework.

All the alternatives that were considered, and why you zeroed in on this particular car
It was just the Liva vs Swift vs Figo. One liner: Figo is more VFM; Swift was close enough but wanted to experience a Ford this time plus Swift's model change was coming up plus Swift's famous rattles. More about these in the opening paragraphs of the thread.

Complete booking & delivery experience with the dealership
I had been to the showroom, Kairali Ford, more than a couple of times and the SA Joseph Cyriac was very accommodating. Almost 6 months elapsed from my first showroom visit to booking the car. He is very knowledgeable yet straight forward. The Sales Lead Binoy too was helpful in allocating a car which was in transit which reduced the waiting period drastically. I was able to get hands on to the car in a week as against a month of usual waiting period. Though I had a minor issue with their back office for delivery, the Sales Lead Binoy and SA Joseph helped me ease the distress. Overall, these are good guys to deal with; I would definitely recommend the service of both them from Kairali Ford.
Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20161102_095844.jpg

On-road price & discounts
I got the diesel Titanium variant for 7.5 lacs on road. The price was luckily dropped by around 50k on ground of promotions when compared to 4-5 months before when I did an inquiry.

Invoice amount: 6,66,105/-
Zero depreciation insurance: 22,276/-
Road tax: 53,840/-
Registration charges: 750/-
Essential kit (mat and flap): 3,400/-
1 year (3rd year) extended warranty and RSA: 7,803/-
Cash discount: 5,000/-
Total cost: 7,49,174/-

Extended warranties & service packages
Took 1 year additional (3rd year) extended warranty and road side assistance for 7800/-. First service has been done at 2500 kms and was free, which is just a checkup and top up of any fluids. Labor free second service is at the 1 year / 10k kms mark, and further services are after a year or 10000 kms forward.

Be sure to list the engine type & variant you opted for
Since the price was dropped for the Titanium variant, I could go for it. Else I would have to settle for the lower Trend or even the Ambiente variant. So it is the Titanium diesel in Oxford White color; though I would have preferred the Ingot Silver color.

The good and bad about its features
The Titanium variant gets ABS with EBD for safety and Perimeter Alarm for security. Alloys, driver seat height adjustment, rear defogger, fog lamps, chrome front grille surrounds, power fold ORVMs and auto A/C too come from this variant and the next.

Safety & related equipment
The Titanium variant has got both driver and passenger airbags and ABS with EBD; and has the perimeter alarm for security. Side and curtain airbags are present in the Titanium + variant only.

Number of kms at the time of writing your review
3000 odd kms.

Your usage pattern (e.g. 20 kms daily in dense traffic, highway on weekends)
Mostly inside city and occasionally on the highway. Till now the running is an average 1000 km per month of which 700 is inside the city.

Comments on the exterior styling & design
Just wow, I love the Aston Martin-ish front. Maybe the rear is just made puny, more by the undersized tires.

Overall build quality, fit & finish, paint quality and panel gaps
I think it is acceptable, but may not be as good as the VW. Though panels feel sturdy, panel gaps are a bit inconsistent. Doors are no where flimsy, I disagree with the general perception about this car; you need to compare another Nissan or Honda side by side.

Wheels & tyres
Under-tired In terms of looks and grip. It comes with 175/65 R14 on alloys; 185 width tires would have been better.

Interior design & quality (plastics, upholstery, fit & finish etc.)
All black interiors are welcome for carefree usage especially with kids. But my wifey preferred the Aspire's beige interiors. Though a lot of design has been gone into the making the plastic and its usability, I believe a bit more of heavier plastic all round would have been better, still no complaints.

Interior space & comfort...front & back (seat support, legroom, headroom & width)
Interior space in another USP of the Figo over the Swift, especially the rear legroom. Seats provide good thigh support too.

Driving position, ergonomics, controls & MID
Visibility should have been increased, feels a bit less visible upfront, especially the A pillars and the wipers obstructing view. Otherwise nice supporting seating with height adjustment. Ergonomics are top notch, no complaints here. The fuel and RPM gauge could have been digital though.

Visibility & size of mirrors
Interior rear view mirror is not that great, add to it the limited rearward view through the window. But I liked the ORVM’s visibility.

Air conditioner cooling & effectiveness
Super cooling A/C and chilling all around. This is not like the Micra which had localized cooling. Though I would have liked the vents to throw air upwards a bit more.

Audio system & sound quality
Not satisfactory, especially the speakers. No CD player. And the USB player not having a provision to browse folders easily is a real pain. If we are having a lot of folders, we are done for; first we have to select “Explore USB” and press ok, then we have to skip folder one by one, then press ok twice once we select a folder. And now the songs in the folder is repeated, the only way to go to the next folder is to do the “Explore USB” from start. Still, the placing of the USB port is fantastic, especially the phone docking flap.

Interior storage, practicality & boot space
This is another excellent aspect of the New Figo. The designers have given much thought on this; especially the rubberized portions and place-mats deserve a lot of applause. Some pictures later will do the talking.

Any other unique or noteworthy points about the interiors
The Ford dock as they call. It is a brilliant idea to use our smartphone as touchscreen.

Engine performance & drivability in the city
Below the turbo zone and way down the RPM, you do not get the rocket pickup as in a Micra, but once the RPM picks up, then it rockets though we do not feel the push back on to the seats as in a Swift. It is the clutch that is a bit heavy and in the city it pains a bit. And the shift from 1st to 2nd is a bit jerky. There is adequate engine braking unlike the Etios Liva.

At times, the ECM kicks in to increase the RPM while starting up from 1st gear and this settles down on its own a bit later. Feels a bit of disconnected with the engine there; and it is not consistent too, does not happen always.

Engine performance & drivability on the highway
Out on the highways is where the engine shines, overtaking is effortless and it is a real cruiser in higher gears. Add NVH to this for comfort. If we need a sudden down shift for overtaking, we got all the power in the world unless we are too much out of the turbo zone. But by raising the engine RPM, it does not settle down to idle RPM immediately once we lift the foot off the accelerator pedal; this looses the feel of being connected with the engine. The ECM keeps the RPM high momentarily.

Additional comments on the engine (outright power, refinement, revv-happiness, turbo-lag etc.)
Covered above.

Overall opinion on the engine
It just purrs like an electric motor, very less diesel clatter at least for now when it is new. Not too torquey below the turbo zone.

Gearshift & clutch (smoothness, effort required, short or long throw etc.)
Gear shifter is a far improvement from the lousy shifter of the Micra. The old Vento’s shifter needed much effort but the late Polo’s shifter is the best of the lot. There is not much difference where the stick rests in 1st or 3rd or in 5th; i.e., the throw is very short laterally, a very few times I had a small confusion as the left hand couldn’t give much feedback because of this. Shifting is effortless though. The clutch is basically hard and it is harder towards the end, don’t know why they couldn’t take a leaf out of the Polo here.

Overall NVH levels (including engine, wind & road noise)
The best part I like in the new Figo, the engine itself is less clattery and lot of noise is cut off from the cabin. Pedals, gear shifter, steering, all are noise less. I do not feel much road noise too when compared to Micra which was horrible in road as well as engine noise. Tire noise is a there a bit but I have not much complaints. My only complaint on NVH is the fuel sloshing sound from the fuel tank, especially after a full tank fill up.

Fuel efficiency: City and Highway
I’m getting 14 to 19 in the city vs highway usage. I used to get 14 to 21 in the Vento and 14 to 23 in the Micra.

Suspension & ride quality (at low as well as high speeds)
I would like more heavy duty suspension in the front for diesels. Only very few diesel cars have a good solid suspension feel upfront; the Swift scores in this area hands down. Ride quality is excellent on undulated roads, but not tested on pot holed roads.

Handling, on-road behavior, grip levels, stability, body roll & turning radius
I’m not a corner carver so can’t comment more on this area, but I can tell that it is just a bit better than the Micra but not near the Vento. Turning radius is a bit more than the Micra.

Steering (size, feedback, weight, EPS / Hydraulic etc.)
Very light but I liked it, effortless in the city. It’s one of the lightest EPS working here. And the steering is not big too.

Braking (effectiveness, pedal feel...)
Adequate, nothing more nothing less, is what I feel. Not tested the ABS yet.

Ground clearance
Only the front rubberized skirt hitting on inclines, nothing more.

Any particular likes (damped ashtrays, powerful headlights etc.)
NVH, I just love it. Power on open highways in higher gear combined with the awesome NVH is ecstasy.

Any particular dislikes (weak wipers, poor foglamps etc.)
These are the points Ford can improve. Tire size could have been at the minimum 185 width. Then there is the fuel sloshing sound. Next, we need to press the pass switch fully for dimming the high beam whereas most cars do have an easy dipper (no dipper, it is a full switch here). Headlamps could have been better and add to it the quality issue of the blackening headlight reflectors. I am surprised that the 8 lac car does not have a proper bolted mud flap at the rear. The USB player is too sad; there is no easy way to skip a folder. Hard clutch is giving a hard time for my knee in B2B traffic. Engine RPM not settling down to idle immediately once we lift the foot off the accelerator pedal; this looses the feel of being connected with the engine. The engine bay is an eye sore; could have provided an engine cover, is that so expensive Ford?

Any niggles, problems or part replacements
Engine check light came on after a week but I took it to the service center and they told it was the EGR learning. I hear a momentary rattling sound, more of a resonance/reverberation at a particular clutch position while in first and reverse gear which they were not able to reproduce. I’m a bit irritated with the fuel sloshing sound intruding into the cabin; no idea if Ford will do anything about it. The known issue of headlamp reflector blackening has started surfacing slightly even at 2500kms.

Quality of after-sales service
Need more time to comment on this. Thread will be updated on further events. The engine check light event was solved smoothly; I was even offered a loaner car by the sales team as it was the very first week after I bought the car. Next was the first free service which was a 50:50; a rattling sound from engine bay while in first or reverse gear they were not able to identify; I am waiting for it to be more evident before taking it another time.

Cost of upkeep & maintenance
This is what they promise.
Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20160316_112138.jpg

Anything else you wish to add about your car (feel free to include your family's observations too)
Wifey is not too happy with the front visibility and my kid complain about high ingress for him to climb into the car without help. So I guess ingress and egress is not as easy for the elderly too.

Detailed exterior & interior pictures complementing your review
A link to the most comprehensive review you will ever find, with loads of pictures. Still, here goes mine:

Last edited by thoma : 8th February 2017 at 23:21.
thoma is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 21:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20161216_140933_hdr.jpg
I was not able to get a good angle of this car, maybe because of the pretty ordinary camera on the mobile phone. This is not as it looks to the eyes in reality.

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20161127_114909.jpg
An attempt at macro, if you can call it that.

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20170115_125849.jpg
The name is carried over from the previous generation, but the car is entirely different, the engine too.

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20161125_131231.jpg
The rear 3/4th. Bigger tires are definitely called for better aesthetics.

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20161212_110421.jpg
Alongside a Vento, a random click.

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20161205_103014.jpg
Long shots are a bit better for this car I guess.

Last edited by thoma : 8th February 2017 at 22:56.
thoma is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 21:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20170115_125715.jpg
Love the black (and bit grey) interiors. The seats offer good thigh support but the base part slants down much towards the back.

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20161204_113259.jpg
Best the MID ever showed; it was over a 90+ kms. But got less during the return trip and the tank full gave only 21.5 kmpl.

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20161127_121555.jpg
Nice placement and simple design of the ORVM control. You need to rotate the knob to the middle and tap down for retracting the ORVMs; tap another time and it opens. Rotate the knob left or right and control the left or right ORVM respectively.

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20161127_121545.jpg
Though it does not seem at first glance, I really like the visibility the ORVM provide, compared to my older cars. Had a real tough time with the Micra

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20161127_121645.jpg
The door pad. The hand rest is designed really nice. Lot of praise from me for design of plastics and its ergonomics.

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20161127_121602.jpg
The first time I test driven the Figo, when the inside door handle went inside I thought the thing was too badly built. Later only I realized the design is such, for locking purpose. But at the same time, any door can be opened from inside even if centrally locked; children tend to pull on the handle, and it opens lock and door in just a pull

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20170119_154929.jpg
Rubberized platform for placing your smartphones; very nice thought. You just switch on the Max A/C and the fan and A/C runs on full, press it again and you get to where it was before. Another praise for the design team

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20170115_130115.jpg
Look at the well designed lock for releasing and folding the rear seat back, excellent. See the slit on the left side to place the seat belt hook when not needed. Adjustable head rests would have been better.

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20170115_130142.jpg
The unnoticed cubby hole on the extreme right of the dashboard.

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20161127_140921.jpg
The springs are flexed?

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20161127_140950.jpg
What is the purpose of this white bag filled with felt like material on both sides inside the bumper? Sound deadening? Won't it whither away easily?

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20161127_144717.jpg
I was shocked to see soot marks from a brand new car. Further investigation soothed my nerves

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20161127_140748.jpg
Bent underneath and saw soot mark sprayed on to the beam. Rat repellent in the background!

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20161127_154732.jpg
Finally found out that the front portion of the muffler had something like a safety valve through which soot is intended to come out.

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20161127_140626.jpg
Sad that Ford cannot afford nuts and bolts to fasten the rear mudflap. It's an eye sore that the double sided sticker looses its strength pretty fast.

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20170115_125241.jpg
Really liked the amount of design effort went into here. The part is plastic and merges into rubber which acts as a sealant. I see this for the first time.

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20170115_125216.jpg
Another design appreciation. Look at the slanting bolt on the battery terminals for ease of using the spanner.

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20170115_125257.jpg
Could have provided an engine cover. Another eyesore.

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20170115_125755.jpg
4 bulbs; many cars skip some bulbs for saving money on wiring

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20170115_125734.jpg
A design aspect I didn't understand. A slot on the reflector inside the tail lamp. Is that for air circulation, to reduce moisture getting trapped?

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20170115_130016.jpg
Yet another one I got no clue about. A recess in the wheel arch cladding.

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20170126_111721.jpg
Nice thought. Rubber covering at the end of the hatch raising struts.

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20170119_155036.jpg
Subtly integrated air deflector right beside the ORVMs

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20170126_111708.jpg
Not a plain rubber bush, the inside is carved out to allow flex.

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20170126_111810.jpg
An opening in the boot to access a motor.

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20170126_111742.jpg
Rubber attachment on the top of the hatch door panel. Didn't get what it is for, maybe for holding, but why?

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20170115_125948.jpg
A parting shot; a look from the rear. The only place I stick Team-BHP stickers; I do not like the louder ones. Though I did try pasting the same on the driver and passenger window, the placement went wrong and I got out of stock of small stickers.

P.S: All snaps captured by my humble Redmi 1s; still love it for the camera.

Last edited by thoma : 8th February 2017 at 23:50.
thoma is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 11:02   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 11:20   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on your Figo, and on the nice review. The various close up shots are well executed, and bring to light various details that only owners would notice after living with a car

As the owner of a Micra, do you notice any resemblance between the cars when viewed from the side? This is an observation that's been made by some, and I wanted to hear your take on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
What is the purpose of this white bag filled with felt like material on both sides inside the bumper? Sound deadening? Won't it whither away easily?
Samaspire noticed this in his Aspire - he said it looked like a sanitary napkin. People made some guesses to its purpose, but nothing conclusive came of it.

Quote:
Rat repellent in the background!
The most effective kind! Just ensure that it doesn't get cosy in the engine bay.

Quote:
A design aspect I didn't understand. A slot on the reflector inside the tail lamp. Is that for air circulation, to reduce moisture getting trapped?
You're right, that's a vent hole to avoid any moisture building up and fogging the lamp housing. The headlight unit has a similar vent. In case this gets clogged (with mud or leaves) it will then cause the trapped moisture to fog up the insides.

Quote:
Sad that Ford cannot afford nuts and bolts to fasten the rear mudflap. It's an eye sore that the double sided sticker looses its strength pretty fast.
Its bad that the dealer used double sided tape to affix the mud flap, and it will be good to see what other owners say about how it was affixed in their cars. If I look at this photo, there does appear to be a provision for a screw/bolt on the bumper, near the left arrow (at least to my eyes). Do check if this is indeed a mounting point for the mud flap, and get your dealer to fix it.

Quote:
All snaps captured by my humble Redmi 1s; still love it for the camera.
Very impressive pics, I assumed you were using a handheld camera until I read this!

Last edited by arunphilip : 9th February 2017 at 11:31.
arunphilip is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 11:42   #8
BHPian

Congratulation on the Figo thoma Nice review

Wishing you happy ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-img_20170126_111742.jpg

Rubber attachment on the top of the hatch door panel. Didn't get what it is for, maybe for holding, but why?
Th rubber flap is to prevent rattles when the hatch is closed. It will sit flush with the parcel tray preventing rattle.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 12:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
As the owner of a Micra, do you notice any resemblance between the cars when viewed from the side?
Not from the side, but maybe from the front, the open mouth grills match a bit. The Micra has got rounded shape all over, but in one angle below, the Figo may too feel same, I do not know.

Ownership Review: Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium-micra1.jpg

Quote:
Its bad that the dealer used double sided tape to affix the mud flap, and it will be good to see what other owners say about how it was affixed in their cars.
There is no mounting point anywhere for a bolt and nut or a screw, you have to screw on to the bumper if needed but that too may come off in the long run. I've seen similar sticking in the Figos I see here.

Quote:
Very impressive pics, I assumed you were using a handheld camera until I read this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
Th rubber flap is to prevent rattles when the hatch is closed. It will sit flush with the parcel tray preventing rattle.
That makes sense. Thanks.
thoma is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 12:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Good choice in going for the road less taken(Figo).

I have been thinking of changing my old gen Figo petrol to either the Asipre or new Figo diesel for a while now. With the frequent price cuts and offers, it is even more tempting. For some reason, I just don't feel like letting go of my current Figo , more so because there are no issues with it and it is hard to get another new car which has similar characteristics.

The white bag on the inside of the rear bumper seems to be sound deadening for the water that is kicked up by the tyre which will hit the plastic and create a sound. Just a guess.

EDIT: Could you let me know what the extra red light in the tail lamp cluster is used for? Is there a rear fog lamp or is it the brake lamp.
The old gen Figo has 5 slots , but only 3 of them had bulbs and wiring.

Last edited by tharian : 9th February 2017 at 12:31.
tharian is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 12:24   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi thoma,

Congrats on the Figo Diesel

Also a very well written & detailed ownership thread, Thanks
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 14:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Good choice in going for the road less taken(Figo).
Really true. I wanted to take the plunge this time; to try out a new manufacturer, of course if I like the product. The other pending will be a Honda now, Toyota is guaranteed to be no frills.

Quote:
I have been thinking of changing my old gen Figo petrol to either the Asipre or new Figo diesel for a while now. With the frequent price cuts and offers, it is even more tempting. For some reason, I just don't feel like letting go of my current Figo , more so because there are no issues with it and it is hard to get another new car which has similar characteristics.
This is also true, you don't get the same characteristic of the old Figo for which people love it. But a diesel would be a different ball game.

Quote:
Could you let me know what the extra red light in the tail lamp cluster is used for? Is there a rear fog lamp or is it the brake lamp.
Top most is the brake lights. Left is indicator, right is reverse lamps. The bottom most is night lamps + rear fog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Also a very well written & detailed ownership thread
Nowhere near your hit movie on the Figo I have drawn a lot of inspiration to buy the Figo from your review, so thanks to you
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 14:25   #13
BHPian

Congratulations and happy motoring, good review sad to see that Ford has cut down the luxuries of handling in the hatch series, Fords are usually appreciated for their handling and cornering abilities hope the 1.5 tdci will deliver you many miles.
Happy to see many 1.5 tdci-s n KL roads back in 2014 when i took my global fiesta I rarely used to see any on roads
quakerme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 14:32   #14
BHPian

congratulation on the new car . I bought aspire diesel last year for my family and I am fan of the car . I have done occasional long trips in aspire as its mainly used by parents and no complaints at all till date . Car has completed 22000+ Km in a year driven mainly on highway and still fun to drive with super chill AC to make summer rides much more enjoyable .
Anuruddhs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 17:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the new car and a very well written review. It is a very detailed review with some very good close up shots of much less seen parts as well.
One thing I noticed is that you were complaining of less FE in most parts of the review. But you have mentioned yourself that the Figo is returning 19 and once it has even done a phenomenal 27.3 as per MID. And comparatively, it is around 3 kms less to your micra which had a 68bhp engine. So a 100bhp engine returning close to 20kms on the highway and the same mileage in the city as the Micra is actually a feat in itself and not a cause for complaint.
abhinav.s is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks