Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2017, 12:23   #31
Senior - BHPian

Yes, monocoque is better than ladder on frame, but the latter is more rugged.
Also if the suspension set-up is good, handling weight transfer issues without much fuss, I'd pick the ladder on frame on a SUV/4*4 anyday
headers is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 11:06   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Isuzu MU-X 4x4 Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbones View Post
On 20th June I got the beast delivered at my door steps
Dear Dr. Bones, many congratulations on your new acquisition - I am sure you will love each moment of ownership! Please keep us posted on your experience with this very capable SUV/off-roader, ownership reviews of which are quite hard to come by.

BTW, does the Gypsy stay or goes?
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 21:32   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Yes, monocoque is better than ladder on frame, but the latter is more rugged.
Also if the suspension set-up is good, handling weight transfer issues without much fuss, I'd pick the ladder on frame on a SUV/4*4 anyday
header, suspension setup on MU X is very good for comfort. Its best when compared to Ford Endeavour and Toyota Fortuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Dear Dr. Bones, many congratulations on your new acquisition - I am sure you will love each moment of ownership! Please keep us posted on your experience with this very capable SUV/off-roader, ownership reviews of which are quite hard to come by.

BTW, does the Gypsy stay or goes?
cool_dude thanks.
MU X is a very capable SUV, I love it. Silly issues are getting on my nerve.
drbones is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 22:15   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

MU X is a very capable SUV, I love it. Silly issues are getting on my nerve.
Oh! what are these issues, how much has your vehicle done? Do share it would be helpful for prospective buyers.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 22:32   #35
BHPian

Had a puncture 15days back to front right tyre, Inflated the tyre to 32psi and drove the MU X to the puncture shop. Puncture guy had a look and told me (saab yeh tyre tho gaya naya tyre daal na padega) tyre cannot be repaired and as he said after fixing the puncture air still continues to leak.

Hence my search for a new tyre started.

My MU X came with bridgestone deuler 255-65-R17 840.

I never expected that getting a new tyre will be impossible. Checked it with almost all the dealers at vijayawada and hyderabad, no one has that tyre.

Tried it online with no luck, then checked it on bridgestone india website, and to my surprise this size tyre and pattern is not avaliable here in india. I was shocked and did not know what to do, feeling confused thought of upgrading all the tyre to Yokohama Geolanders AT 265-65R17 but was not happy to spend another 65K for tyres. Just because i am not able to get a spare tyre?

Called up Mahavir isuzu at vijayawada and found out that they are clue less about the availability of tyre size. Service advisor called me up and told me that my tyre has been dispatched and will receive in 4days, and today when i called the service advisor and to my shock no tyre reached them. Now i started to loose my cool as from past 15 days my new MU X is not being driven due to lack of spare tyre and i am never confident of driving the vehicle with out spare tyre. I requested him to provide the spare wheel of their test-drive vehicle till i get mine and he agreed for it, i was relived of my uneasiness a bit. Now he asked me to pay 13K for the new tyre which he says will be given to me in a weeks time, now i became suspecious as he has no clue about the tyre and when i asked him their spare tyre now he is indirectly trying to take security deposit in the name of new tyre. I completely lost my confidence on Isuzu and i rejected his offer outright. Should i change all the tyre to 265 and spend another 65K just because of the stupidity of Isuzu guys?

I don't know if i had made a wise decision by putting my money on this isuzu SUV. I can't keep on posting on social media for every thing and asking for help. Hope Isuzu india understand the problem and solve it. Its a very bad experience for me after and now i understood the level of their after sale service, I should have gone for the Fortuner as no one can beat toyota in after sale service.

Isuzu is going to kill this capable SUV with its poor after sale service. Let me see how lucky i am.
Attached Thumbnails
My Isuzu MU-X 4x4 Automatic-img_5765.jpg  

Last edited by drbones : 13th September 2017 at 22:39.
drbones is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 22:38   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Oh! what are these issues, how much has your vehicle done? Do share it would be helpful for prospective buyers.
5025kms done till 15 days back. After the puncture my MU X is condemned is all i can say, its just because i am not able to get a silly tyre.
drbones is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 22:50   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I requested him to provide the spare wheel of their test-drive vehicle till i get mine and he agreed for it,
Why won't you use your own spare wheel?

Edit - just read your post completely, probably you can buy a tube and use it on the punctured tyre and keep as spare. I am sure you won't need it but if required it should takecare.

Geolanders are on of better ones, check if you can get some value for your existing tyres including unused spare.

Last edited by Turbanator : 13th September 2017 at 22:54.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 22:56   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Why won't you use your own spare wheel?
My spare wheel is fixed on the front right. Now i need a spare wheel in case of another puncture. I hate to be stuck just because of silly reason. No one can guarantee a puncture free ride on indian roads.

Getting a tube is a good idea, will try it tomorrow. Thanks for giving me a good idea

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 13th September 2017 at 23:50. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post please
Old 13th September 2017, 23:07   #39
BHPian

Quote:
5025kms done till 15 days back. After the puncture my MU X is condemned is all i can say, its just because i am not able to get a silly tyre.
Do check post #395 on official Fortuner review thread by Shrikanth@raj. He has exchanged his 6k old tyres for new ones by paying 15k. Maybe you can try something similar.
mayjay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 23:57   #40
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know if i had made a wise decision by putting my money on this isuzu SUV. I can't keep on posting on social media for every thing and asking for help. Hope Isuzu india understand the problem and solve it. Its a very bad experience for me after and now i understood the level of their after sale service, I should have gone for the Fortuner as no one can beat toyota in after sale service.
DrBones,

It is so painful to hear that comment from you. Yours is one rare MU-X ownership thread out there and I have been following it so sincerely.
MU-X happens to be my favorite, have taken three test drives just to enjoy the way it glides over potholes, speed breakers, craters and what not!
Unfortunately, didn't want to stretch my budget at this point of time, so dropped the plan for it and went for the Hexa.
Sincerely wish and hope that all your bitter experiences fade away instantly and we look forward for lengthy travelogues from you and your MU-X wandering into unexplored territories.
naddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 02:39   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayjay View Post
Do check post #395 on official Fortuner review thread by Shrikanth@raj. He has exchanged his 6k old tyres for new ones by paying 15k. Maybe you can try something similar.

If the size and make of tyre is so unique in India I guess he would not be able to get a good exchange price for them here. I had a similar problem with the Fortuner when my tyre was cut within the first 10,000 km due to an iron angle which I could not spot while reversing the beast. The dunlops were priced very high at the dealership (26k per tyre in 2013) and it did not make sense to spend such a huge amount of money on them. So I took a Bridgestone tyre same size and have been using it as my spare since then. Thankfully haven't had to use it in the last 4 years and the 4 tyre of the OE make are doing just fine. Even in case one has to use it I don't think covering a few kms on a tyre of a different make should be an issue. I feel you should change one tyre with your preferred make and change the other 4 after 30-40k kms when they wear out. Hope this helps.
Old 14th September 2017, 07:42   #42
Team-BHP Support

It was nearsightedness on Isuzu's part to launch the MU-X in this weird tire size. XUV & Fortuner when launched had similar weird size but both became popular and slowly other SUV's had similar tire size.

Isuzu should have launched MU-X in 265/65 R17 size. And while at it, Isuzu should have launched the MU-X in the facelifted version with the 6 speed AT and an MT.

I will suggest to check out if the 265/65 R17 is compatible with your MU-X or not, if it does fit without much variation, do change them at the next given opportunity.

And tweet to Isuzu, we would know if it listens, if it does not, I will steer clear of it.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 08:15   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Had a puncture 15days back to front right tyre,
Getting a tube is a good idea, will try it tomorrow. Thanks for giving me a good idea
Dr Bones. My duster had a 6mm rod go into the tyre and the regular puncture method wouldn't stop the leak. Hence, I got the tyre patched from the inside in the old vulcanization method. if you recall the old puncture days, when they used to apply paste, put a patch and heat it to vulcanize the patch and tyre. Have been using this patched tyre as my spare ever since. It is better than getting tube. Small puncture guys will not do it, but most major tyre shops will know someone who patches the tyre. You can run it as tubeless and keep it as a spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
It was nearsightedness on Isuzu's part to launch the MU-X in this weird tire size.

I will suggest to check out if the 265/65 R17
Totally agree with Sheel. 265/65 R17 was the OE size for the older Fortuner and Pajero Sport and hence plenty of options available in the market including from Indian manufacturers. With the Torque the Isuzu makes, the sub 5% increase in width and height will hardly make a difference.

Just manage with a patch or tube and keep your damaged tyre as spare and run through the other tyres. Don't buy new 255/65/17 and waste money. After you have run through them, just upgrade to 265/65 R17.
4x4addict is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 09:59   #44
BHPian

Quote:
I understand your frustration but don't get worked up, I am sure it can be repaired - not just by the regular plug but by vulcanization as 4x4addict also mentioned.
I have done the same on my Aria spare, got it repaired using patches and it will work, in case you want to add further security you may use the tube too. In any case it is a spare and this will definitely and easily get you out of sticky situations if the need arises.
Go ahead and drive!

Cheers!
Trojan
Trojan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 14:29   #45
BHPian

drbones,
Firstly congratulations for your MU-X and hugely thanks for this thread as I am a prospective MU-X buyer. Any more information you will share will hugely help me decide if I should save Rs.6L and go for this over the fortuner/endeavour although this whole mess about the tyre is just painful and I can understand your frustration.

On a side note, I have been trying to fix the test drive for all three this Saturday.
For the MU-X this saturday, its not easy as they dont call back like Toyota did which was instantaneous and even agreed to get me the TD for 4X4 MT.
Ford has kind of confirmed but it does not sound very certain. (like how Toyota rep made is very certain)
Aniket6 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks