Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2017, 22:52   #46
BHPian

Re: My Isuzu MU-X 4x4 Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddy View Post
DrBones,

It is so painful to hear that comment from you. Yours is one rare MU-X ownership thread out there and I have been following it so sincerely.
MU-X happens to be my favorite, have taken three test drives just to enjoy the way it glides over potholes, speed breakers, craters and what not!
Unfortunately, didn't want to stretch my budget at this point of time, so dropped the plan for it and went for the Hexa.
Sincerely wish and hope that all your bitter experiences fade away instantly and we look forward for lengthy travelogues from you and your MU-X wandering into unexplored territories.
naddy, yes its painful for me too. My work is keeping me away from a long drive on my MU X. I have to wait till dec to take my MU X for a good long drive. Stretching your budget would have been worth it for MU X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
If the size and make of tyre is so unique in India I guess he would not be able to get a good exchange price for them here. I had a similar problem with the Fortuner when my tyre was cut within the first 10,000 km due to an iron angle which I could not spot while reversing the beast. The dunlops were priced very high at the dealership (26k per tyre in 2013) and it did not make sense to spend such a huge amount of money on them. So I took a Bridgestone tyre same size and have been using it as my spare since then. Thankfully haven't had to use it in the last 4 years and the 4 tyre of the OE make are doing just fine. Even in case one has to use it I don't think covering a few kms on a tyre of a different make should be an issue. I feel you should change one tyre with your preferred make and change the other 4 after 30-40k kms when they wear out. Hope this helps.
Decided to go with the suggestion of 4x4addict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Isuzu should have launched MU-X in 265/65 R17 size. And while at it, Isuzu should have launched the MU-X in the facelifted version with the 6 speed AT and an MT.

I will suggest to check out if the 265/65 R17 is compatible with your MU-X or not, if it does fit without much variation, do change them at the next given opportunity.

And tweet to Isuzu, we would know if it listens, if it does not, I will steer clear of it.
Sheel, indian model looks crisp than the facelift, 2017 model looks bulbous and some how i did not like it. Isuzu must have given the 6speed AT, but i am happy with 5speed AT. No complaints regarding the gearbox and its performance, its fantastic is all i can say.

265-65-R17 tyre are compatible with MU X. I will go for Yokohama geolanders ATs when i upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Dr Bones. My duster had a 6mm rod go into the tyre and the regular puncture method wouldn't stop the leak. Hence, I got the tyre patched from the inside in the old vulcanization method. if you recall the old puncture days, when they used to apply paste, put a patch and heat it to vulcanize the patch and tyre. Have been using this patched tyre as my spare ever since. It is better than getting tube. Small puncture guys will not do it, but most major tyre shops will know someone who patches the tyre. You can run it as tubeless and keep it as a spare.

Totally agree with Sheel. 265/65 R17 was the OE size for the older Fortuner and Pajero Sport and hence plenty of options available in the market including from Indian manufacturers. With the Torque the Isuzu makes, the sub 5% increase in width and height will hardly make a difference.

Just manage with a patch or tube and keep your damaged tyre as spare and run through the other tyres. Don't buy new 255/65/17 and waste money. After you have run through them, just upgrade to 265/65 R17.
4x4addict i will go by your suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
I understand your frustration but don't get worked up, I am sure it can be repaired - not just by the regular plug but by vulcanization as 4x4addict also mentioned.
I have done the same on my Aria spare, got it repaired using patches and it will work, in case you want to add further security you may use the tube too. In any case it is a spare and this will definitely and easily get you out of sticky situations if the need arises.
Go ahead and drive!

Cheers!
Trojan
Its quite frustrating not to get a tyre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket6 View Post
drbones,
Firstly congratulations for your MU-X and hugely thanks for this thread as I am a prospective MU-X buyer. Any more information you will share will hugely help me decide if I should save Rs.6L and go for this over the fortuner/endeavour although this whole mess about the tyre is just painful and I can understand your frustration.

On a side note, I have been trying to fix the test drive for all three this Saturday.
For the MU-X this saturday, its not easy as they dont call back like Toyota did which was instantaneous and even agreed to get me the TD for 4X4 MT.
Ford has kind of confirmed but it does not sound very certain. (like how Toyota rep made is very certain)
Aniket6 thanks. You can go with MU X. test-drive it and you will love it. When it comes to comfort and space MU X beats the other two hands down. Ford endeavour is in a different league when it comes to drivability, but considering value for money nothing comes closer to MU X.
drbones is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2017, 19:49   #47
Senior - BHPian

Yeah.. I'd Agree with Tini s suggestion and have done it in some of my vehicles.

Please re check the tyre pressure you are running at Dr Bones, a psi lower than recommended is better than Otherwise in bad roads.
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 00:24   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post

BTW, does the Gypsy stay or goes?
cool_dude Gypsy is with me, Planning to sell it as i am hardly using it after I got the MU X.
Old 22nd October 2017, 09:49   #49

Dear DrBones,
Thanks for sharing your experience about MU X and i found it extremely useful as i am currently considering buying an SUV and top three contenders are:
Isuzu MU X
Ford Endeavour
Toyota Fortuner

Would like to seek your and other senior member's thoughts to help me decide. While Isuzu MU X offers a good product, I am unsure of the post sales support and service offerings which are better for Toyota and Ford

I would eagerly await your thoughts.

Warm Regards,
jampaks
Old 22nd October 2017, 11:11   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am unsure of the post sales support and service offerings which are better for Toyota and Ford
You don't need to worry about the service aspects given a large number of V-Cross and overall Quality of their dealers, I can vouch for the one here in Chandigarh/ Ludhiana. Although the number of Dealerships is limited at the moment, so if you travel to remote locations this can be a possible issue. But this should change for better in future. If service is the only thing holding back you buy Isuzu, then you can possibly go ahead with MU X but there are some other compelling reasons to consider Endeavour or Fortuner. There are many other threads where this is being discussed. You should also go and drive all 3 vehicles back to back possibly on the same stretch and then repeat this if you are left with any doubt. I believe after GST cess, sales have settled in this segment. Last I heard, Endy 2,2 is not available until next Year.

Last edited by Turbanator : 22nd October 2017 at 11:13.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 08:05   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
You should also go and drive all 3 vehicles back to back possibly on the same stretch and then repeat this if you are left with any doubt. I believe after GST cess, sales have settled in this segment. Last I heard, Endy 2,2 is not available until next Year.
Thank you sir. I had a 2007 Nissan X Trail that served me well until last year. While the SUV was good, I suffered owing to expensive spares and maintenance. Had to sell it of for mere 2.5 Lakhs owing to the 10 year old ban in NCR region.

I am therefore being cautious on what to buy. I drove both Endy and MU X and both seem to have their own advantages. While Endy has its plus features, MU X provides VFM being 6 Lakhs cheaper than Endy and having most in place.

What else should i consider? I may be biased and have a VFM lens thus your inputs will be highly valuable.

I live in Gurgaon, and this will be a second car in family which will be driven by me for about approx 1000 kms or less in a month

Appreciate your revert sir
Old 23rd October 2017, 08:29   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I suffered owing to expensive spares and maintenance.
Nissan is a pain unlike most other Japanese companies, we are having troubles in maintaining Evalia so I can understand your troubles with X Trail which otherwise is a wonderful SUV. You could have possibly got re-registered somewhere beyond NCR, it would have been easy and probably better than 2,5 Lac. Anyways, if you have already sold, nothing to fret about.

If you are used to comforts of X Trail, a worthy upgrade for you will be Endy or Fortuner, even though these are good 6-7 lac expensive but worth, especially 3,2 Titanium. With MUX you won't probably forget your X- Trail easily

Now coming to your VFM query, Endeavour tops the list if we see global prices and the specification/ features it offers here in India at the price. Another VFM product is V Cross, maybe it can serve your purpose of the second car and it's priced very competitively. You can get it dressed the way you want, I believe this is one of the most modded vehicles in India at this moment.

Last edited by Turbanator : 23rd October 2017 at 08:33.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 15:31   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
If you are used to comforts of X Trail, a worthy upgrade for you will be Endy or Fortuner, even though these are good 6-7 lac expensive but worth, especially 3,2 Titanium. With MUX you won't probably forget your X- Trail easily
Why do you recommend the Fortuner or the endy over the MUX sir? Any specific reason.

I found the suspension of the MUX much better than the new fortuner[ i'm referring to the automatics only]

The things the MUX misses out are the paddle shifters and a few bells and whistles in the facia, but found it to be better built, better aircon and better road holding
Old 23rd October 2017, 18:59   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why do you recommend the Fortuner or the endy over the MUX
I have a confession, even though I was amongst first few to buy commercial Pickup and then later V-Cross and have driven both commercial cab and then later V Cross, I have not driven MUX till date. Although I was offered drives multiple times, somehow the vehicles do not look appealing to me. I will disagree with your observations on better built, to me doors looked very flimsy, typical Japanese car like. Interiors are too basic and resemblance with V-Cross- both exteriors and interior do not help either. It's a Generation old and better products - Fortuner & Endeavour are available at around 20-30 % extra costs. Expect a major resale hit whenever someone wants to sell this. At this price point, Pajero maybe a better option if someone can live up with Mitsubishi service and dealers. But again, these are my personal views and maybe wrong

Last edited by Turbanator : 23rd October 2017 at 19:10.
Turbanator is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 21:12   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Why do you recommend the Fortuner or the endy over the MUX sir? Any specific reason.
1) Better Engine, 2) 6-Speed AT Vx 5-Speed AT, 3)Side & Curtain Air Bags, 4) Service, 5) Resale Value, 7) Lovely Interiors vs dull Black/Beige (Guess this is subjective)

Quote:
I found the suspension of the MUX much better than the new fortuner[ i'm referring to the automatics only]
At low speeds the MUX is good. As speed picks up it becomes boatish. The reverse for Fortuner. Suspension works better at higher speeds. So depends on driving style.

Quote:
The things the MUX misses out are the paddle shifters and a few bells and whistles in the facia, but found it to be better built, better aircon and better road holding
So Isuzu has reduced 5 lakhs compared to Endy and Fortuner but thrown in the previous generation power train, removed the side curtain air-bags,etc. I am sure for most folks with a 35 lakh budget another 5 lakhs for a more reputed proven brand with better kit is not a deal breaker.
4x4addict is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th October 2017, 11:24   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
1) Better Engine, 2) 6-Speed AT Vx 5-Speed AT, 3)Side & Curtain Air Bags, 4) Service, 5) Resale Value, 7) Lovely Interiors vs dull Black/Beige (Guess this is subjective)

At low speeds the MUX is good. As speed picks up it becomes boatish. The reverse for Fortuner. Suspension works better at higher speeds. So depends on driving style.

So Isuzu has reduced 5 lakhs compared to Endy and Fortuner but thrown in the previous generation power train, removed the side curtain air-bags,etc. I am sure for most folks with a 35 lakh budget another 5 lakhs for a more reputed proven brand with better kit is not a deal breaker.
Whether previous gen engine or not, its a great one!! Actually the MuX engine is pretty unstressed at high speeds. And the suspension was pretty settled in a mid corner bump so i would'nt blame it either!!

I don't believe in airbags, so not a deal whether it has 1 or 100!

I would disagree on the high speed handling of the Mux vs the fortuner automatic!! [The manual is great but the automatic sucks]

Agreed Toyota has better brand value in India than Isuzu.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th October 2017 at 12:52. Reason: Mention of high speed driving is not permitted
Old 27th October 2017, 11:43   #57
BHPian

Quote:

I would disagree on the high speed handling of the Mux vs the fortuner automatic!! [The manual is great but the automatic sucks]
Could you elaborate why you don't believe in airbags?

Regarding the Fortuner - are you suggesting that the handling of the automatic and manual Fortuner differ? I have not driven the new Fortuner at all but see no reason for difference in handling per se. Or were you referring to engine response?

Last edited by Strangerintown : 27th October 2017 at 11:45.
Old 27th October 2017, 12:01   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
Could you elaborate why you don't believe in airbags?

Regarding the Fortuner - are you suggesting that the handling of the automatic and manual Fortuner differ? I have not driven the new Fortuner at all but see no reason for difference in handling per se. Or were you referring to engine response?
Well, I've heard instances wherein the airbags did not open and hence the driver/passengers died

So whether it be 2 or 9, unless luck is on your side, it does not matter!!

I'm talking with regard to the automatic Fortuner only. The manual is nice to drive with the iMT option that auto rev matches during downshifts etc.

The automatic Fortuners slushbox disengages everytime one lifts his foot off the A pedal and that for me is high disconcerting.

Even at 110 kph, the freewheeling happens and to rely solely on the brakes in not fair and i find it extremely unsafe!! If one is unable to feel it while driving, please take a look at the RPM meter to understand what I'm trying to say. Ive tried this on 3 different Test drive vehicles on 3 different days!

The MuX does not freewheel until less than 60 or 50kph and that is a nice thing especially if one does a lot of highway driving.

Engine response is of no concern to me if the transmission AND suspension dont cooperate and the MuX is definitely better integrated than the Fortuner in this regard.

Yes, the interiors are not as flashy as the Fortuner, but it does the job.

The MuX should have been priced at 25L OTR max!
Old 27th October 2017, 23:54   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
The MuX should have been priced at 25L OTR max!
I think your last statement sums it up. If Isuzu want's to strip it, then they have to strip down the price also. Even 27L OTR would be okay.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2017, 10:28   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Whether previous gen engine or not, its a great one!! Actually the MuX engine is pretty unstressed at high speeds. And the suspension was pretty settled in a mid corner bump so i would'nt blame it either!!

Agreed Toyota has better brand value in India than Isuzu.
I would agree with you. during this Diwali drive, I was behind a BMW 520d and he was doing good speeds and I was comfortably going behind him on my MU7 automatic. The engine was not stressed and still had another 40% juice left on it.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th October 2017 at 12:52. Reason: Mention of high speed driving is not permitted
MuzzledMoose is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks