Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2017, 13:32   #1
BHPian

Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4

True story - one morning - conversation between my mother and the car washerman (CWM).

CWM : Madam, batao kahaan hai woh nayi gaadi. [Madam, tell me where is the new car?]
Mom: Road peh dekhlo, woh tempo jaisi, badi gaadi. [Look on the road, it's the big one that looks like a tempo]
CWM : Accha madam woh aadhi gaadi, aapki hai kya?! [Ah, the half-car is yours is it?]

This moment brought home to me, the uphill task every V-Cross owner will face in India. I've faced wonderful questions, like:

- Err, why exactly did you buy this car?
- Why didn't you try the Innova / XUV / Hexa / Scorpio / Fortuner / etc etc.
- You know that Jeep is launched in India right...
- You must be in the transport business?
- Do you pay normal toll?
- Kitna deti hai?

And so on. I've found, each question tells me valuable things about the questioner. As for myself, I already know - like Phaedrus - 'normal' is abnormal.

Welcome to the joys of V-Cross ownership in India. You will find, not only do you own an Adventure Utility Vehicle (Isuzu India's words, not mine); you are also heir to the throne of pick up trucking in the country. Expect to learn and convey to the masses - alien concepts of 'truck bed', 'tailgate', 'roll bar vs roller lid', 'tonneau covers'. Also prepare for the world of accessories which will fund the rozi roti of a new generation of off road and parts dealers.

Disclaimer: while I do realize the Getaway and Xenon have been around since pre-history, somehow, this car is different. Gul Panag & Milo's motoring escapades got me hooked to the concept of a pickup as overlander years ago (I still dream of that amazing rooftop tent). Yet, it was only after the V-Cross was launched that I could responsibly consider a pick up as my primary family car.

Having now owned the car for nearly 4 months (welcomed home on May 14th 2017) - here goes my attempt at a review. Surprisingly no owner reviews of this awesome car on Team BHP yet? Probably the owners are out enjoying their cars, unlike this loser. Or I need to get better glasses + online search skills.
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-showroom-pre-delivery.jpg

Pros:
- Global product / world car available in many markets. Always a very important consideration for me.
- Space, the final frontier. Versatility is the V-Cross' middle name.
- Airbags and ABS are standard. I know India's a very safe place to drive in, but still.
- Low range gearbox and 4x4 are standard, there is just 1 variant. Way to play the game, Isuzu!
- Overall build quality is best in this price band. Joke of the year, this is close to a 4WD Scorpio top level trim.
- 5 seats, in comfort. Take your wife, AND your girlfriends along.
- Light and airy interior. Act out the love scene from your favourite Hindi movie.
- Leaf spring rear absorbs ruts and potholes like Alladin's magic carpet.
- all-plastic door and dash - just wipe off your sins.
- lots of cubbyholes and storage spaces, including 2 glove boxes.
- 2 charging points, 1 concealed and 1 near the gearshift. I use the concealed one for my dashcam.

Cons:
- Seat fabric is too light colored. Shows dirt easily. Not thoughtful enough IMHO. Don't sin here!
- Bumpy ride when unladen, on speed breakers and tarmac joints.
- No stereo as standard! The engine and turbo do sound good, but sometimes, we like to listen to music. Seriously Isuzu, this was just cheap.
- Stock alloys look drab (purely subjective, I know). Changed to SSW 17" with Ceat AT rubber, JMD Isuzu took it under exchange with my new rims and MRFs(!).
- Side mirrors only open and close with ignition ON. Wasn't the case with my Chevy Cruze.
- Length takes a week to get used to. I could crack a joke here, but won't.
- Taking a U-turn is like family planning. It involves multiple stakeholders.
- Parking this car in tight spots involves grit, deep reserves of character, and blind luck.

What else did I consider before the V-Cross?
My checklist was pretty straightforward -
1. Safe SUV for the family.
2. Fun to drive and own.
3. Long term dependability.
4. 4WD would be great to have.
5. 14-18 lakhs on road.

Thar: my dream car. Unfortunately, it was - like Pamela Anderson long ago - just a fantasy. We got very close to choosing this one, even knowing the work that would go in to make it livable. The Missus shot that one down by quoting VivOverland himself - 'I will never buy a car without airbags and ABS'. She got me there. Pamela would qualify 50%, but not the Thar unfortunately. So that was (the proverbial) that.

I used to walk around staring at this picture of Pamela off the internet. Uff, the drama.
(note to self - stop giving Chetan Bhagat free story ideas).
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-modifiedmahindratharcrdewithhardtoptype13.jpg

Hexa: great car and loved the feeling of quality. 7 seats are fully useable, and power is sufficient to move with 7 passengers. Unlike many MUVs which seat 7 but need 2 to push when going uphill. I somehow wasn't confident enough about Tata long-term quality to spend so much, that too on AWD (I only wanted 4x4).

Scorpio: my first love. I remember booking this car through Zoomcar for a drive to Lavasa and was so very impressed (it was my first SUV long distance drive). One of my automobile mentors owns this car, and I was seriously considering the 4WD version. However, the V-Cross was the better package IMHO, along with Japanese quality, and a world car.

XUV: very briefly considered. However, the monocoque chassis was a deterrent from the long term ownership perspective. Also, didn't quite like the fit and finish quality. Safety was a big question mark for me, despite similar crash test ratings to the V-Cross. Also too many electronics, a bit too tricky (long-term) for my taste. To add, Phaedrus wouldn't buy such a mass market car.

V-Cross: I went for a TD with the Missus. We both had apprehensions about the design, but had to accept that this car just ticked off all our boxes. The accessories available also were encouraging but need ample supply of Vitamin M (anyone has a night job available, please consider yours' truly). Must say that the dealership experience (JMD Isuzu Mumbai) has been outstanding throughout the purchase cycle. This played a huge part in our confidence, and ultimate decision to buy the V-Cross. Even now, the owner runs a Whatsapp group and communication is seamless. JMD also organizes fun drive experiences, you can read about the last one covered by Tazmaan here.

This decision was not an easy one. The budget had to be stretched quite a bit, but we really saw this opportunity to get a great car which would suit our needs - as a family buyer. While purchasing, I thought we would be in the minority, as most buyers probably are off-road or showboat buyers. I couldn't be more wrong. Having been part of the owners groups and interacting actively (keeping quiet is a personal struggle), it is such a diverse bunch of people - but all have the same amazing approach to life. Simple pleasures, humility and a willingness to share learnings transparently. A lot like Team-BHP'ers IMHO!

All this was the beginning of March, and got quite busy with life taking over. The corporate lifestyle makes sure one is accountable to Tom, Dick and Harry, and year-end sees us running away from bills, dues and taxes. To add to which I was managing a multi-city event with global stakeholders, many of whom were visiting our country for the first time. Serious pressure, and the Indian in me was totally focused on making us proud through our work. Anyway, found the time (and the bank balance) to stoke up 50k towards booking amount by the 23rd March. Like Henry Ford, I was ok with any colour, so long as it was black. Was informed from the first inquiry stage, that it would be 60 days waiting period, AFTER loan was disbursed. Figured we waited 270 days for delivery of each of our kids, so this would be easy. Sold off our beloved Cruze in the meantime, through a dealer who is now a friend. Found a good home for her, and still miss that car terribly.

Some shots of our multiple visits to the showroom, all the way in Navi Mumbai.

Carryboy roller lid - we were quite clear we wanted a retractable lid, which gave flexibility to travel with odd-shaped gear.
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-roller-closed.jpg

The SSW 17" wheel with Ceat AT rubber
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-wheel.jpg

Luckily for me, the next few months were really busy at work. Between travelling around the country, and lots of business activity - left me very little time to dream about Emma (she was yet to be named at the time). My daily commute turned to Mumbai's bus services (Thane Municipal Transport AC Volvo). Being parceled around the city, I felt like Mike Tyson playing boxing video games instead of biting off ears in the ring. Stared out the window, watching the world pass me by as I was transported to work and back. Next began the painful process of applying for loans from our friendly banking system. As usual, to successfully be granted a loan, you need to prove you don't need one. Signed on several dotted lines, tightened our belts and decided to eat dal chawal for the foreseeable future. Finalized with Yes Bank, because they actually do say 'yes' more often.

Decided on the following accessories:
- Carryboy sidesteps 16,000/-
- Blaupunkt stereo + reverse camera 20,000/-
- Ceat Czar AT tyres + SSW rim upgrade (17") 75,000/- on exchange
- Carryboy roller lid.
- Isuzu bed liner 25,000/-

On road cost was 18,42,000/- with the accessories mentioned above. Not a cheap car, costs as much as a 2BHK in a small town, or a watchman's kothi in Mumbai. Was given a 45k discount because THIS IS INDIA (cue Spartan music). Prices with necessary accessories and trim brings this car into entry level Fortuner territory. I still found this great value, and possibly a better off-roader. Yes Bank disbursed the loan on 18th April, process was very smooth, and they were ready to finance up to 95%. Good experience, and I had also considered HDFC and SBI but Yes was just more convenient and slightly better rate (don't remember how much now). Now that my work was done, diligently tried to avoid spamming the dealership like a bachelor on date nite. Restricted myself to Whatsapp chats with the JMD Isuzu team - planning my list of accessories for the car. Their team was patient and kind in the face of this onslaught of messages, much like our gynaec and paediatrician dealing with new parents, have learned to be.

In the meanwhile, the time was fast approaching, which every parent fears. Summer holidays! With every possibility that we would get the car in May, we were all in 4x2 minds whether to go for a driving vacation or just holiday in Goa, or just hire a car for the vacation. Ended up doing a trip to Nainital / Ranikhet and Corbett, and then planned to come back for delivery. Imagine the torture of experiencing the Corbett jungle safari in an open top 4x4 Gypsy, and having to sit in the backseat - knowing that my V-Cross was just around the figurative corner. Whatever wildlife we saw, probably came out to see my sorry face. Wrapped up a memorable trip and flew back to Mumbai via Delhi on the 13th May, knowing that we will take delivery the next day.

At the showroom, had my PDC printed (thank you Team-BHP) and ready once again (I had already done a check of VIN and selected the newest production series at my end, during a previous visit). Despite being a Sunday, with skeleton staffing, JMD Isuzu team had everything well prepared. MY car was finally out on the platform, ready to be handed over. She looked beautiful, though she wasn't even named yet. The manual was explained to me, along with the main operating instructions. Felt like the emergency aisle passenger being read his rights and duties. That being completed, cake cutting and photo opps were in order. My elder daughter helped place the Tricolour sticker, and I begged the JMD team to keep the ghastly ISUZU logo away from the tailgate. Luckily but somewhat dejectedly, they agreed. Next we did a small pooja and put an innocent coconut out of its misery. The JMD driver then completed the ritual by dramatically driving (slowly) off the podium and on to the road.

We all love free cake. Some more than others.
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-aahcake.jpg

Ready to rumble. Say hello to Emma See poor coconut below.
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-delivery-garland-1.png
Image editor: Lunapic

At long last, 'the-artist-soon-to-be-known-as-Emma' and my family were finally alone. I remember actually spending a few moments just savouring that special time. We then drove to a celebratory lunch, with me feeling like ten lakh bucks!

The car certainly stands out on-road. With its' high stance, height of 1480 mm, 225 mm GC, and unmistakable truck bed at the rear - most people do a double take. Build quality is excellent, doors shut with a solid thud, fit and finish is great, no major panel gaps I could find. Be careful closing the backseat doors, they need a solid push to close flush. There is a 'door open' alert. They have a child lock available which is great for us. Rear set has Isofix points, or you can just secure the child seat with a seat belt. Interior space is huge, and the airy cabin adds to the feeling of openness and comfort. Air conditioning is the best I've had in a car till date, and my previous cars (Figo, Cruze) had great AC systems for their class. My dad once owned a Fiat Uno - fantastic car - but it rationed cool air, like Modiji does banknotes. With the Isuzu, one rarely needs to set the climate control below 24 degrees AUTO, or 24 with foot blowers engaged. The rear seat can easily accommodate 3 adult passengers, who would thank you at the end of the journey. Don't go by reports that the backseat is non adjustable hence uncomfortable. It does not adjust, but that is neither here nor there. My parents have traveled for hours on end, with no trouble whatsoever. Probably the acres of leg room help in alleviating discomfort. Seating position is addictive, with a high mounted view of the road around and huge windows / glass area. Typically SUV stuff, though must say body roll is less than I expected (this is our first UV).

As of today, I've covered 9300 kms (absolutely pathetic!), with a mix of tarmac to trail driving. 60 kms daily commute, and multiple short trips to Goa / Panchgani / Kamshet / Pawna / Daman / Pune. The car still makes a statement. I've had people give me the thumbs up sign in passing, stop and watch the truck, bikers make several flybys, people follow me with their GoPro and so on. There are around 100 V-Crosses in Mumbai / Pune / nearby areas, and this car has connected us to a wider family.

Driving requires a fresh approach. It is fast but not cruiser fast. It is comfortable but not plush. It can go off road but not in all situations. It has loading capacity but seats just 5. It is eminently drive-able but the length needs foresight. What makes the entire package 'go' is the Isuzu engine. Much has been said about this company's workhorses, so I will not extol its' virtues further. However, let it be said that the car has a well planned mid range, which gushes in like a monsoon breeze, around 1.5k rpm. Keep in mind this is coming from a previous owner of the 'diesel locomotive' Chevy Cruze! This car can run on the highway like a rhinoceros on the charge. Many owners have chosen remaps, and that would take the car to another level at the cost of your warranty (100k / 3 years). As mentioned, a very drive-able engine, with power delivery at a low rpm - makes for a long lasting companion to cover the miles to your next destination. In the city it's more Betty than Veronica, if you are old enough to remember Riverdale. On the highway, you can let your inner Reggie rule the roost.

In the city, the car is peppy enough to get around. You do have to consider the length, but honestly I don't tailgate so that wasn't an issue for me. Follow the 2 second rule, and you'll be absolutely fine. Still wouldn't advise taking this to areas like Dhobi Talao in Mumbai or Chandni Chowk in Delhi! The light clutch is very effective, and a blessing in daily traffic. My Cruze was a pain. My calves grew into cows with that car. Gearshifts are long throw, let's face it we can all use some more exercise in our lives. For shorter drivers, you can see over the bonnet but probably not till the end. Again not a deal breaker for me, I follow the 2 second rule anyway, and don't need to read the dashboard of the car ahead of me. For bonnet drivers, there is adequate height adjust for all but the shortest drivers.

It is slightly tricky getting a good driving position. Some reviews (on Team-BHP and elsewhere) have reported the shelf beneath the steering getting in the way of taller drivers. I highly recommend checking this out on your test drive, if you are closer to god than I am (5ft7in). Really miss having reach adjustment, the steering will only tilt towards you - that's it. Ergonomics, however, are wonderful and very intuitive. I miss having cruise control, which was such a relief in the Cruze. The aircon, indicators & lights (RHS), wiper / washer (LHS), MID controls etc are all within easy reach - and just where you'd expect them to be. The MID has lots of information literally on your finger tips - FE (running and average, DTE), trip meter, service intervals, average speed, and so on.
Mirrors are huge and very well placed. I am able to find a sweet spot where I don't need to pan down when parallel parking (surprisingly easier than expected). Full electric adjustment, and mirrors fold flush on command (ignition / battery on mode only). The stock speakers in this car are not for audiophiles. I'm unfortunately not much of a car audio guy - I prefer listening to music in a more sterile environment than our roads. For those who like high quality sound during their drive, please think long and hard about installing a better system in this car. Local shops may give you a deal on exchange (speakers only, as the car does not come with a head unit!).

Overall the interior is well planned, and naturally so - this is a world car, which has gone through several iterations in much tougher markets than India. The under (rear) seat cubby holes are perfect for carrying your documents and tool kit, or appropriately legal quantities of Old Monk (plastic bottle) on your way back from Goa.

Off roading prowess has been well covered before, here's a link to BlackPearl's post. A shoutout to BlackPearl who got me to actually consider this wonderful machine - yes, I know it got stuck on that outing. I think about it on every rise, and will probably wake up one night screaming - RAMP OVER ANGLE, RAMP OVER ANGLE!!

Some assorted shots of ours:

First road trip to Panchgani
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-enroutepanchgani1.gif

Posing on the trail
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-morbe2.gif

BigBoss season 11
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-morbemissus.gif

Make friends with your local washing centre
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-superhero-mode.jpg

Carrying the Missus' childhood cycle home = +10 brownie points.
Suggesting she won't end up using it = -20 brownie points
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-baikuchicycle.jpg

Happy childhood, work in progress
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-baby-truck.jpg

In terms of NVH the car gets loud above 120 kmph. Below that I found it quite acceptable. Road noise isn't such an issue. I may be biased (or hearing impaired) as I never found the Figo too loud, despite many reports to the contrary. I get an all round FE with AC of 10.5 (on the MID, not re-calibrated for the upsize wheels). Haven't compared highway versus city, as my drive cycle is quite varied. Steering is smooth and well balanced despite the upsized and heavy wheels. Know that turning lock to lock is like playing kabaddi with yourself. Ceat AT rubber is not the most stylish available but I've found them more than adequate for our needs.

In terms of livability, this car is just like a long sedan. We take it to malls, parks in narrow compounds, (just) fits into regular slots. Width is 60 mm more than the Cruze - we tend to focus on the length, but it is width which matters more in day to day usage. Height is 1840 mm / 1.84 metres, wading depth (so I've been told) 500 mm, clear GC 225 mm. More than enough to get you into trouble, and out of it too.

Suspension isn't great - let's face it. This is a UV - UTILITY VEHICLE - not a soft-roader. Deal with it. Yes, it does improve with a full load (feels like a different car), and it works well over typically pockmarked roads. To use a food analogy - if the road looks like a series of Kit Kats laid out side by side, you will hate it. If it looks like a pepperoni pizza, you will be smiling as you skate across towards the open road ahead. If you need a car only for GQ / Expressway style highway driving, take a long test drive over those expansion joints - before you decide. This car does NOT work well will horizontal undulations , but prefers scattered roughage. My mother always said roughage is healthy for you. Carrots are good for your eyes, you will need them to spot those nasty rumble strips. Miss them and you'll understand how they got their name.

Which brings me to braking. Just as I waited for delivery, there was much excitement around the cost of brake liners (shoes?). At 16,000/- per set, it was too much, and people felt cheated and hurt etc etc. Got me quite worried, not so much the cost, but because I like being able to stop, when I want to. Having driven around for a fair set of kms, it is a non-issue. Pedal feel is great with enough bite (somewhere between a chihuahua and a pitbull). The ABS does kick in earlier than you might think - especially on tarmac (with 2WD obviously). Off-road it is seamless in both 4H and 4L. Again - as I keep alluding - I keep a 2 second gap and don't practice panic breaking, so if other V-Crossers work with less (why??), please share your feedback.

Some tips / learning from my experience so far
- do not even visit the showroom when buying a car (any car), until you have gone through the Team-BHP official review. If there isn't one yet, wait for it.
- essential accessories as you leave the showroom: stereo (who doesn't need it?), sidesteps (approx. 16k), boot lid or cover (60k for a soft lid to 2.25 lakhs for a proper canopy).
- I bought the Carryboy roller lid. Great piece of equipment and your stuff will be 90% dry (expect some seepage during heavy sustained rain, the gutters overflow a bit). The lock is very disappointing, and gave way 3 times in 3 months. Once, during our trip to Goa it seemed to be giving way. This little lock makes the difference between leaving stuff safe in the bed, or having to haul it to your room / home / hotel. Luckily, it didn't give way. Must say, JMD Isuzu has fixed it without stress or charge each time, every time.
- 3M Scotchguard Clear protector is an ally when you hit the trail. Protects you from the nicks and scratches from stems and stalks. Also saves you from the keying brigade, unfortunately part of our environment in most parts of the country.
- fit a reverse camera. You will need it. Save money now, or contact your insurance company at leisure later.
- invest in a good dashcam. You will want to have pictures of your trails / offroad trips, and a mobile is just not safe or effective enough. I use the Transcend GoPro 520 Bought in Singapore Duty Free for 12,000/-
- My first service cost me 3,500 in consumables, nothing extraordinary there. Let's see what fate has in store, 2nd service coming up soon.

Saying goodbye to our beloved Cruze - this locomotive really took us places.
Looking forward to even more interesting journeys with Emma.
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-past-future.jpg

Yes, I still pay normal toll rates.

VivOverland and out!

PS: at the risk of sounding like a starstruck fan; special thanks to GTO and the entire team at Team-BHP - your focus on quality is outstanding, and I salute you. Penning down a review is hard work, and you make it harder (for all the right reasons)
Attached Thumbnails
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-roller-lid-fitted.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th September 2017 at 14:07. Reason: Adding translation to first para :)
VivOverland is offline   (161) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 09:01   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 09:47   #3
Team-BHP Support

Let me be the first one to congratulate on your V-Cross! Superb write-up as usual. As somebody had written on another thread that your write-up reminds us of our favourite Sam Kapasi. Keep up the good work and wish you many miles of trouble free experience with your Emma!

Edit: I really like those black alloys with the chrome lips on your truck.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 12th September 2017 at 09:51.
BlackPearl is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 10:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

This has to be the most crisp, no-nonsense and humorous review I've read in a quite a while. Will keep watching this space for updates, as this is one vehicle that I lust after, even though my funds won't permit a sign on the dotted line in the near future

Wish you a million miles of safe & happy driving!

Cheers,
Vikram

P.S: You took me on brief nostalgia trip with that Betty & Veronica line, though to be honest, Midge floated my boat more than those 2!
comfortablynumb is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 10:22   #5
BHPian

That's a really entertaining and informative review with humor sprinkled at the right places. This is a vehicle I loved since the day it was launched because it is "Unconventional" and has tremendous road presence. I have always wanted to have this one but home minister shot it down right away. Adding to it, the parking in my apartment is a bit tight and am not sure if I would be able to accommodate it there anyway. Even if I do, the others parking nearby will have a tough time parking/removing their vehicles.

Hope you have many awesome miles on Emma. Ride Safe!

EDIT - just a suggestion. You should probably invest in a good dash cam and a read cam apart from a parking assist system if you dont have it already. Will save you lot of trouble with such a huge vehicle in a city like Mumbai.

Last edited by centaur : 12th September 2017 at 10:33.
Old 12th September 2017, 10:55   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Let me be the first one to congratulate on your V-Cross! Superb write-up as usual. As somebody had written on another thread that your write-up reminds us of our favourite Sam Kapasi. Keep up the good work and wish you many miles of trouble free experience with your Emma!

Edit: I really like those black alloys with the chrome lips on your truck.
Thank you BlackPearl. Read his posts, I missed meeting a great man. I have much to learn, but enjoying my baby steps.

Saying this in the least creepy way possible, would like to meet you too someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
This has to be the most crisp, no-nonsense and humorous review I've read in a quite a while. Will keep watching this space for updates, as this is one vehicle that I lust after, even though my funds won't permit a sign on the dotted line in the near future

Wish you a million miles of safe & happy driving!

Cheers,
Vikram

P.S: You took me on brief nostalgia trip with that Betty & Veronica line, though to be honest, Midge floated my boat more than those 2!
Vikram, she's all yours (Midge that is!)

Thank you for your comment, and the V-Cross is more reachable than one would think. It's just about dal chawal, and cheap clothes, no vices till the Bank gets off your back. We can't all do a Mallya, can we.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
That's a really entertaining and informative review with humor sprinkled at the right places. This is a vehicle I loved since the day it was launched because it is "Unconventional" and has tremendous road presence. I have always wanted to have this one but home minister shot it down right away. Adding to it, the parking in my apartment is a bit tight and am not sure if I would be able to accommodate it there anyway. Even if I do, the others parking nearby will have a tough time parking/removing their vehicles.

Hope you have many awesome miles on Emma. Ride Safe!

EDIT - just a suggestion. You should probably invest in a good dash cam and a read cam apart from a parking assist system if you dont have it already. Will save you lot of trouble with such a huge vehicle in a city like Mumbai.
Thank you Centaur. My HM grew up being driven in the 6 seater Omni, often to Goa. She found all my other cars cramped, but was too polite to say so.
At least she'll feel at home with the V-Cross suspension massage, very similar to the li'l van IMHO.

I do use the Transcend DrivePro 520. Forward and inward (infrared) cams with battery backup. Emma also has a camera on her rear end. Kinky, no?
VivOverland is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 11:11   #7
BHPian

Lovely review and even lovelier car, er I don't know if it can be called one, let's call it vehicle. The bed cover looks sturdy and tough, if only it was body coloured. It's a different story if you like the contrast. Congratulations and waiting for this thread to be updated form time to time.
noelnelly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 12:16   #8
BHPian

Congratulations on your V-Cross! This is one of the most humorous and witty review I have read in a while. Your witty writing definitely brings back memories of Mr.Sam Kapasi as BHPian Blackpearl mentioned.

Those alloys look delicious, love the Matt Black finish on them.

Just one suggestion, I somehow feel that a pickup truck always looks complete only with what ISUZU calls a sports bar in their accessories list. It gives the impression of the bed looking reinforced by the bar and also makes the cab and bed look like a single unit.

Do consider this if your taste is similar to mine and when Vitamin M permits.

P.S. Will also solve the aadhi gaadi problem.

Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-1505198772002.jpg

Last edited by Shanksta : 12th September 2017 at 12:36.
Shanksta is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 14:06   #9
BHPian

Congratulations on your "Emma" - a very well narrated, enjoyable read of a lovely car. I second Shanksta on his observation on the Sport Bar - YES, it does look fantastic on the vehicle - without that, it looks a little 2 piece.
Please do go for it and enjoy driving this monster !

Swami
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 14:35   #10
BHPian

Superb write up man !
And a such a good looking beast ! BIG BLACK SUV with large chrome grill, proper drool maal

PS: never saw anyone crushing a cocunut under the tyre to start the ownership, till now it was only lemons suffered that fate, suits the mighty car though
Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 16:28   #11
BHPian

Brilliant write up and thanks to you there is finally an ownership review of the V Cross. I plan to get myself one very soon, loading the piggy bank for it as of now.

I think I saw you in your car parked below the JB Nagar Metro Station this morning, atleast the car, colour and wheels were the same.

Regards,
VVB.
vvb8530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 17:22   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Just one suggestion, I somehow feel that a pickup truck always looks complete only with what ISUZU calls a sports bar in their accessories list.
Attachment 1675560
Thank you Shanksta - fully agree. The accessory list is vast - roll bar / sports bar, ARB / Ironman bumper, lights, remap, bed stepper, etc.
The catch is that the roller lid isn't compatible with all roll bars, as it takes up the space on the lip of the bed lining. Need to get something special done, work in progress.

For now though, Emma is still beautiful to me
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-20565fbc9ac0437f801c0330762fbf31.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Brilliant write up and thanks to you there is finally an ownership review of the V Cross. I plan to get myself one very soon, loading the piggy bank for it as of now.

I think I saw you in your car parked below the JB Nagar Metro Station this morning, atleast the car, colour and wheels were the same.

Regards,
VVB.
Thanks VVB. All the best with your journey. Do join the V-Cross group on Facebook, in case you haven't already. Wasn't me at Andheri today, there are a few guys who have similar wheels.
VivOverland is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 22:46   #13

My wife considers this her dream car and thats one of the reasons I love her. Too bad I could not rack up the moolah and had to settle on a Ford Aspire S.

This thing has road presence, has more practicality than meets the eye, has some solid mechanicals to back up its performance and its real bang fr buck. Congratulations for the new acquisition sir.

Never mind the Indian mentality. We used to own a Mahindra Classic and my father used to receive all sorts of flak for it. But it carried us on some of the greatest adventures of our lives.
We need more trucks like these. When is the Toyota Hilux coming?
Azzitcr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 23:48   #14
BHPian

Congratulations on your new "aadhi gaadi"! Brilliant review! Crisp with hilarious references at the right places. Had a hearty laugh on each of those.
The V-Cross is a very handsome car, err.. truck,err.. machine. Tremendous road presence.
And every time I see one on the road, there's an instant connection and an underlying respect for the owner, as he/she definitely must be an enthusiast. I stop short of actually expressing this with a thumbs-up, as the fear of appearing creepy/weird or both overshadows the respect.

Wish you many happy miles with "Emma".
Rohan24 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 00:25   #15
BHPian

Absolutely lovely review and a hearty congratulations for getting Emma home. Also, adore the humour ���� Keep us updated about your beautiful journey.
CarLoverJosh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks