Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2017, 19:04   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post

The way it is being portrayed here, owners of newer vehicles will be left high and dry, which is not the case. Just like a car depreciates a bit when a new refresh model is launched, the current gen cars would suffer a similar (small) hit when a generation of engines are released.

Some of us might hunt around for older cars just because they performed better. For example, people missed the G13 powered Swift when the K12 was launched.
I agree to this. I still keep my 11 year old swift with the discontinued 1.3L engine, since I liked it. When I sold my esteem, and took the swift it was mostly for that 1.3L petrol.

No issues so far in 11 years, and some 10+ years after it was discontinued.

Coming to my Civic, the car itself was discontinued in 2012, since then it has been almost 6 years. No issues whatsoever. 11 years and 1.6L kms on odo, I see no issues, and all spares are still available.

For me, the cars were never purchased with the mindset of resale, but with the mindset of usability.

I do not think a drastic change will happen unless somebody comes and says FULLSTOP. Well that does not happen like that here at least for now.
laluks is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 00:16   #107
BHPian

Agree that the support for the 1.3 L multijet won't be an issue. There are so many of the national engine running cars that a 3rd party could easily come in and service these cars for years. Plus it is a very reliable engine at that. I had it in my Ritz and no problems whatsoever

Only sore point will be that the 1.5 L diesel of Maruti will make this engine seem like a generation old
bhpfaninblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 10:42   #108
BHPian

When I enquired MISL about the roadmap of 1.3 engine w.r.t BS6 compliance, they forwarded my query to Dealer! Wierd, they think dealer can answer better than themselves.

Any way dealer replied as below - Further to discussion with Relationship Manger XXX, our vehicles are BS4 compliance and BS5 ready vehicles. Regarding BS6 yet to get the information from Maruti.

It is apparent that the current engines will not be and cannt be made BS6 compliant with any modifications. Also there is no ballpark timeline also on when new 1.5 engine would be available.

Refer: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/61750037.cms

Personally, my view is the electric engine push will be a game changer in next 4-5 years w.r.t resale values. I guess we just need to wait and see.
dash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 11:22   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash View Post
Personally, my view is the electric engine push will be a game changer in next 4-5 years w.r.t resale values. I guess we just need to wait and see.
Indeed EV would be the game changer. A few new DS/GS engines will keep coming and going. Finally the real change would be for the current engines that may live beyond 2030. Considering a car purchased today will live at least 15 years till 2032 with the FC already issued, makes a purchase today an ok decision. You may consider the car fully devalued in 15 years, and of no much practical residual value.

But newer engines that come later, which may have a shorter life, with the imminent introduction of EVs looming large by 2030, would have to answer the resale values more in my views. This considering EV introduction is seriously adhered to. Let us wait and watch!
laluks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 12:04   #110
BHPian

The white color looks the best IMO in flesh on the face lifted version. Saw one today and couldnt hold myself back from taking a second glance at it. Would've definitely picked it up over the Duster CVT had they launched it with the autobox!

Last edited by raamki : 29th November 2017 at 12:07. Reason: fixing typo
raamki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 12:20   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The engine used in Innova or Alto/800 or Zen or WagonR (1.1L F10D)...
+1. You should see the asking price for those early 2000 Zens/esteems here in bangalore. I was in a hunt for one of those back in 2011(long after they were discontinued) to join the mod-brigade . Bangalore has lots of tuners who love the esteem and zen for their mod-friendly nature. The asking prices are/were unbelievable

And I dont think those were BS-IV engines(correct me please?), but are still running around happily, even the 800s. So the effect on resale would possibly be zilch.

Last edited by SoumenD : 29th November 2017 at 12:21.
Old 29th November 2017, 12:34   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
And I dont think those were BS-IV engines(correct me please?), but are still running around happily, even the 800s. So the effect on resale would possibly be zilch.
No they were not BS-IV engines. But they continued to be traded in used-car market even after the BS-IV came (in April 2010?).

Today the resale for such cars might be low but that is only because the newest BS-III car would be 7 years old.
Old 29th November 2017, 14:07   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
Agree that the support for the 1.3 L multijet won't be an issue. T
Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I still keep my 11 year old swift with the discontinued 1.3L engine, since I liked it.
Quote:
No they were not BS-IV engines. But they continued to be traded in used-car market even after the BS-IV came (in April 2010?).
Thanks everyone for pitching in and offering the positive news

I kind of started this BS 6 analysis as two people in my relative circle are looking for Diesel cars based on the same DDIS 1.3 Engine. One is waiting for the launch of the 2018 Swift and another is considering the S-Cross. I have shared these links with them to read and make an informed decision...

As always Team-BHP rocks and aids in making informed decisions
Old 29th November 2017, 18:27   #114
BHPian

Nexa sent me a quotation for S-Cross as attached. Shocked to note, they have decided to give me free :Shocked:

See attachment
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Quotation.pdf (93.9 KB, 1444 views)

Last edited by dash : 29th November 2017 at 18:27. Reason: typo
dash is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 18:38   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash View Post
Nexa sent me a quotation for S-Cross as attached. Shocked to note, they have decided to give me free :Shocked:

See attachment
Haha. I recieved my payment receipts also like this. I raised a stink
Old 29th November 2017, 23:38   #116
BHPian

I would go for the facelift but only with automatic. Maruti, are you listening?
Old 30th November 2017, 00:26   #117
Senior - BHPian

Today a dude and a son his Vitarra Brezza bet me while trying to overtake them on my s-cross. We both slowed down and a vehicle ahead of us turned left. Once this was done, I tried to overtake him on the right. I crossed his rear door and was closing in on his front door. He had a clear straight road ahead of him and he gunned it. The VB pulled well and I was not able to keep up. He was ahead of me for a good 20-30 kms during which I was tailgating him as I was unable to overtake.

I want all the folks here to make an informed decision on their purchase. This is not a fast or a nimble car, rather bulky and lethargic.

Last edited by govigov : 30th November 2017 at 00:28.
govigov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 06:41   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
This is not a fast or a nimble car, rather bulky and lethargic.
You hit the nail on the head. Bulky and lethargic are the right words to describe of performance. Not because the engine is bad but because it's not good enough for the S-CROSS.
Old 30th November 2017, 08:48   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Today a dude and a son his Vitarra Brezza bet me while trying to overtake them on my s-cross. We both slowed down and a vehicle ahead of us turned left. Once this was done, I tried to overtake him on the right. I crossed his rear door and was closing in on his front door. He had a clear straight road ahead of him and he gunned it. The VB pulled well and I was not able to keep up. He was ahead of me for a good 20-30 kms during which I was tailgating him as I was unable to overtake.

I want all the folks here to make an informed decision on their purchase. This is not a fast or a nimble car, rather bulky and lethargic.
Firstly, you shouldn't have accepted the bet

Agreed that the 1.6L was the ideal engine for the S-Cross, but you get better interiors and finesse compared to the Brezza, and got a solid European feel to it.
vb-saan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 09:05   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Firstly, you shouldn't have accepted the bet

Agreed that the 1.6L was the ideal engine for the S-Cross, but you get better interiors and finesse compared to the Brezza, and got a solid European feel to it.
Agree to this.

This is what I had wrote in my ownership thread
Quote:
Since this national engine is in multiple cars, and on a highway if all of them or some of them try to make a catch-up and racing game with you, you need to keep your ego away. Don't be under the impression that an expensive car is faster than it's less expensive siblings.

A very different approach and coexistence would help you in your ownership and happiness with the SCross.

Having said this, any car you own, it's always a good driver that ultimately enjoys the drive, irrespective of the car.

Be warned
laluks is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks