Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2019, 18:23   #1
BHPian

Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4

Hello Team-BHP'ians & other readers as well,
This is my initial(about 2200kms) ownership experience of the Mahindra Alturas G4. I have moved to the Alturas G4 after owning the XUV5OO W6 for about close to 5 years. The XUV served me well from that price point's perspective. It was a VFM product, but it had its issues with the most annoying one being the stiff suspension. Anyhow it was time for change after clogging 1,30,000 kms and so began the search for a proper SUV sometime in August 2019. When I say proper SUV I mean I always felt that a vehicle will classify as an SUV if it has high GC, RWD, 4WD with low range. The XUV met only one condition i.e high GC. This is just my view, I mean no offence to XUV5OO or its owners as views and opinions can differ.
This is by no means an exhaustive review of the G4. I have tried to give my feedback about the G4's positives and negatives from a owner's point of view.
I thank Team BHP members and moderators for giving me feedback and advises while writing this review.

Kms covered while writing this review
Over 2200kms out of which I have driven for about 1000 kms.

My usage pattern
500 kms every week with 400 on the highway.

About the Alturas G4
There are 2 variants available G2 & G4. The G2 is 4x2 AT and the G4 is 4x4 AT. It is available in 5 colors and I have picked the Pearl White. I was told that this SUV comes in CKD route to Mahindra and assembly is done here.

What you'll like
- Superb build quality. Feels robust. Paint, fit & finish are very good. Nothing to complain here.
- Top of the line safety and convenience features. Some are not available in the competition such as 9 airbags, ventilated front seats, 7 speed
Autobox & 360 deg camera with all round sensors.
- Availability of 3 Memory option on the driver seat position is super convenient if you are chauffeur driven.
- Super refined BS VI engine.
- Fantastic 7 speed G-Tronic Auto Gearbox sourced from Mercedes. Shifts are seamless.
- The Auto Hold feature is very useful for automatics in stop-go city traffic and likewise the resume cruise control feature for highway traffic.
- Super silent cabin. NVH levels very well controlled.
- Light steering for city drives and weighs up decently at high speeds.
- Plush interiors like Napa leather seats and on the dash board too, high quality switches and buttons(feels very premium).
- Ergonomics are good.
- Decent music system.
- Massive road presence(other road users make way for you to go). Its a Limousine SUV.

What you'll not like
- Third row seats. Its too low to sit. Its best suited for kids or short agile adults.
- Due to the small rear quarter window, there is insufficient natural light in the third row. Can feel claustrophobic.
- Sun roof is small for an SUV of this size. Could have been a bigger panoramic like the Endy 3.2.
- 18 inch wheels look small for this huge SUV. The global Rexton G4 has 20 inch wheels. They look good aesthetically. I don't know about the
ride quality(may not suit Indian roads).
- The global Rexton G4 gets the Infinity Audio System with power amplifier and sub-woofer, but the Alturas gets a downgraded version without the amp and sub-woofer.
- Due to the high GC, getting in and out for older people is an effort. Side stepper is a must and its not a standard supply.
- Though looks are subjective, the design language is Korean. May not appeal to all.
- Alarms at 80 kmph and non stop alarm after 120 kmph. Kind of annoying.
- Front passenger seat adjustment is not electric. The Fortuner has.

Some Pictures of the G4 to begin with:-

Mahindra has replaced the original front grille with their own.
Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4-img_0067.jpg

A view from a few steps above ground. The sunroof is rather small for this SUV.
Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4-img_0066.jpg

Notice how the bonnet tapers down at the edges.
Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4-img_0068.jpg

Quite a lengthy SUV at 4850 mm.
Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4-img_0069.jpg

A rather smallish rear quarter window.
Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4-img_0070.jpg

Notice the name A L T U R A S G4 in the bottom middle of the tail gate.
Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4-img_0071.jpg

My priorities(from highest order) when looking for an SUV were as below
It had to be a large SUV, but more preference is given to the luxuries inside than its hard core off-roading capabilities.
1. It had to be 7 seater with a powerful diesel engine.
2. It had to be MT with 4WD(though I have never done off-roading but I intend to do some shortly before my bones turn old).
3. At least 6 airbags.
4. It had to have modern features including sun roof, apple car play and android auto & electrically adjustable front seats and a good music system.
5. Plush interiors.
6. Good road presence(trust me it matters a lot).

The choices I had
1. Toyota Fortuner MT
Positives
- A powerful performer with a slick MT.
- Massive road presence.
- Confidence inspiring high speed driving on highways.
- It is probably the best off-roader as per reviews.
- Electrically operated front passenger seat too.
- The brand Toyota and good resale value.
- Till I TD the Alturas G4, I had made up my mind on the Fortuner 4x2 or 4x4 MT.

Negatives
- Noisy engine.
- Stiff ride on highways.
- Very little creature comforts in comparison to Alturas G4 & Endeavour 3.2.
- The gear lever kept dancing through out the TD (about 60 kms).
- Not so perfect arm rest. I could not rest my left arm on it. It was at least 2 inches below from my seating position.

Did not pick since:-
1. I dint like the stiff ride quality.
2. It missed some important features for me.
3. The 4x4 AT was pricey for me.

2. Ford Endeavour 2.2 MT
Positives
- A great brand.
- Butch design. You just cannot ignore it your rear view mirrors. It has massive road presence.
- Fantastic ride quality.
- Plush interiors with panaromic sunroof(in the 3.2).
- Superb music system with amp and sub-woofer.
- Though I have never driven the 3.2, I believe its the best in the business.
- A highly capable off-roader too as per reviews.

Negatives
- The 2.2 engine feels very inadequate for this mighty beast. I noticed quite a lag in the 2nd gear.
- Also the MT gave a big jerk every time while down shifting which was a total turn down for me. When I asked the SA why was this, he replied since its a very powerful engine you will feel the jerks while downshifting. I dint probe further.
- There's no 4WD on both the 2.2 variants. That's a big miss I guess.
- And I guess since there is no 4WD option available, they have omitted the hill descent control feature on the 2.2 variants.
- Lots of missing features from the 2.2 AT & 3.2.

Never test drove the 3.2 AT since I could not afford it. Reviews are very good about the 3.2 AT and I'll go by it. But its a fuel guzzler. Coming from XUV, my fuel bunk trips would have increased by 2 times.

Did not pick since:-
- The Endeavour 2.2 MT was not a worthy contender for me in comparison to the Fortuner MT.
- The 3.2 was again pricey for me.

In both of the above cases, at that point of time I was not considering the AT at all.

3. Isuzu MUX
I just saw the reviews by various experts and was convinced that the G4 was more suited to me than the Isuzu. So did not TD.

Positives as per my observation
- Probably the best 3rd row seating with manageable space for medium sized adults.
- Typical off-roader with no complaints whatsoever.

Negatives as per my observation
- Its still a 5 speed auto gear box.
- Misses plushness.

4. Mitubishi Pajero MT
I am worried about the ASS and they have not reported any sales figures since May 19. So not sure about their future. I would not want to risk the 40 lacs.

5. Skoda Kodiaq
Did not TD as I made my decision to buy the Alturas G4.

6. Alturas G4
Well, the real serious comparison for me was between the Fortuner 2.8 MT, Endeavour 2.2 MT and the Alturas G4 and I had ruled out the Endeavour 2.2 MT. So I was left with the Fortuner 2.8 MT & the Alturas G4. I had almost made up my mind the buy the Fortuner 2.8 MT till I sat in the Alturas G4 once. To my surprise I was getting more than I had asked for in the G4.
I was truly surprised by its plushness and premium quality but had my doubts about the 2.2L diesel engine. But after test driving the G4, I was impressed. With 180bhp under it, the SUV is a very capable performer. It was on par with the Fortuner. Reviews show it is the fastest in 0-100 kmph among the Fortuner and Endy. That's very impressive for the smallest engine in the competition. After the TD, I suddenly realised I now had another choice. The power was good enough for me, the 1st and 2nd row space & seating were perfect. And feature wise, it felt like one generation ahead of the Fortuner.

My observations
The 2.2 Ssangyong Diesel Engine(Euro VI)
The engine is super refined and it is BSVI. There is minor jostle when you crank the engine but then settles down at idle. Every time you rev up the engine at idle it jostles mildly. Sometimes it goes un-felt. It is not loud on the outside but you hear a little roar when you rev up. On the inside its super quite. In fact while driving with 7 people on board a passenger(who owns a Honda City Petrol CVT) vouched that it was a petrol engine. The mating with the transmission is superb and the 180bhp with 420Nm torque is very impressive considering it is a 2.2 litre motor. I observed that this engine allows you to feel the SUV the way you want it., I mean you can make it feel like a city car with just enough power delivery or you can have it deliver big power for highway drives. I guess this is a result of the mating of the gearbox with the engine.
For city driving the engine responds well to even the slightest tap on the A pedal. The power delivery is linear from stand still if you just hold on to the A pedal softly. If you need the push back effect, just press the A pedal. There is a sudden gush of power which is actually good for overtaking. I have noticed the G4 effortlessly does 3 digit speeds and settles at under 1500 rpm. I am yet to see after what speeds the engine runs out of steam. So far I have done 160 kmph and it din't feel stressed out. I did not notice any turbo lag.
I found the A pedal to be lighter than my 2008 Hyundai i10 AT.

The 7 speed Mercedes sourced 7 G-Tronic Autobox
There is a winter (W) and summer(S) mode. I understand the W mode is for snowy conditions. The you have the mandatory P-R-N-D with Manual (M) mode on the stick slides. Drive modes are 2H-4H-4L, 4H & 4L being for off-roading.
The 7 speed auto box shifts seamlessly, though I observed a micro second lag while up shifting. I also observed that it tends to hold on to an up-shifted gear a bit longer than you would have wanted, say while overtaking. So I would release the A pedal for a moment to let it downshift. Though I did not measure the kick down reaction time, I estimate it to be under 0.5 seconds from the lowest gears. I did a round trip from Bangalore to Vellore and overtaking was just a breeze on the highway. I always had adequate power on tap for overtaking. But there were other bigger SUV's like the Rovers and Audis and Mercs on the highway which overtook me like a breeze. But I have noticed the kickdown reaction time to be slightly more when you are at snails pace. I have never tried the manual mode, I guess I will never need it unless I am being very enthusiastic while driving. But with the tiny switch on the gear lever, I don't think the ease of operation will be like the paddle shifter of the Fortuner. There's a similar switch on my i10 AT lever too but I have never used it.

The Auto Transmission control bay.
Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4-img_0121.jpg

The tiny switch for manual shifting.
Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4-img_0201.jpg

Knob to switch to 4H & 4L. The Electric Parking & Auto Hold buttons are conveniently located.
Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4-img_0192.jpg

Fuel Economy
I estimate it should settle down to 11 kmpl on the highways and about 8 kmpl in the city. The real time fuel consumption display on the MID showed different patterns at different speeds. They were as below:-
At just under 100 kmph/1400 rpm => 9.8 kmpl
At 110 kmph/1500 rpm => 10.5 kmpl
At about 115 kmph/1500 rpm => 11.1 kmpl

Steering and balance
In city driving the G4 moves in the direction you point the steering wheel to so the feedback is good. Since it is light, maneuvering city traffic is no problem as far as the steering wheel is concerned. Parking in tight spots is not cumbersome if you have the space. Turning radius is short too at 5.5 M. Wherever I have done U turns with my XUV, I have done with the G4 too without doing the 3 point turn. The steering weighed up quite decently on highway speeds though in may reviews it was reported to be light on highway speeds. I did not feel it entirely that way, but yes in comparison to the Fortuner, it is lighter. The Fortuner steering wheel was much heavier and more confidence inspiring. I noticed at speeds(>60~80 kmph) when you rotate the steering wheel left-right for about 5 deg, it feels disconnected with the wheels. You can keep doing it. It is like ply. But its no deal breaker. The steering wheel could have been a little more thicker.
At higher speed the SUV felt well planted. Body roll is not very significant, behaves like any proper ladder on frame SUV with its in built characteristics. I would say that the body roll is adequately controlled for its high GC.

Suspension
The suspension is on the softer side. I found them good for city use though at very slow speeds you will notice the G4 jostle a bit on pot holes. Road undulations are also felt but they kind of roll over. But the suspension feels every thing on the roads. So its always busy.
I have no real complaints about highway performance too. It felt better than the Fortuner in terms of plushness. Of the 2200 kms that the G4 has done so far, about 2000 kms are on the highway and the ride quality was above average. Flyover expansion joints and are felt with a minor thud but the SUV can unsettle if the joints are too big. High speed driving over broken tarmac are not felt much but over low speeds you will feel it inside with a thud or a jostle or the suspension noise depending on the type of surface underneath. I am yet to feel the bouncy effect on my routine route where my XUV used to bounce. I think the Endy is the only other SUV which offers a much superior ride quality in this comparison.

Braking
Braking is satisfactory. It stops where you intend to stop. The brakes are on the spongy & sharper side. There is a bit of nosediving when braking to a stand still. The B Pedal is quite wide and easily accessible.

NVH Levels
The cabin is super silent, outside noise just stays outside. With the music muted, conversation inside the cabin is very delightful. It definitely speaks volumes of the G4's build quality. Tyre and wind noise are very well insulated. NVH levels are very well controlled.

Seating & Visibility
Seating is very comfortable and you will quickly find your perfect driving position. The seats are wide enough for even large people and the back rest is quite tall too. They slide quite far back to stretch your knees. Sadly it misses lumbar support adjustment. The head rests have a unique feature, they can be moved back and forth to suit your head position. You sit high with a clear frontal view but there's a concern here. The bonnet tapers down and flattens towards the front corners(above the headlamps) which is not visible. So the bonnet corners plus the front bumper edges are actually a clear 12 inches away diagonally which you have to keep in mind while negotiating in tight traffic and during parking. Mahindra should come up with some accessory to mark the extreme left corner. Head room is adequate for heights up to 6 feet tall. Rear view is satisfactory with large ORVM(which tilt downwards while reversing - cool feature). But the 360 deg camera helps a lot while reversing. The IRVM could have been a size bigger for this big SUV. And it is not an auto dimmer, sorely missed if one is a regular highway cruiser.

Interior Space & Comfort
You just walk to the G4 with the key fob in your pocket and the G4 wakens itself up by opening up the ORVM's and switching on the DRL and puddle lamps. Its like saying ''Hi" to you. But it does not unlock till you touch/feel the little sensor on the door knob. This sensor is available on both the front doors. As soon as you open the driver side door, the seat slides backwards to welcome you inside. A very convenient feature. But you have to climb in. I hardly used the side stepper on my old XUV but I now see from time to time using the side stepper on the G4. A grab handle on the A pillar is sorely missed like in the Fortuner. That is super helpful for heavy and old people. The leg room is ample with a wide foot well and I estimate people up to 5' 11'' height can stretch their legs with the seats back. Head room is just adequate. The sun roof mounting arrangement has eaten up a few inches in the head room.Taller people may feel a little uncomfortable. Seats are comfy, wide but the under thigh support is slightly better in the Fortuner. The arm rest is perfectly positioned but I would have liked it a little longer or with the slide forward feature like in the XUV. Sadly there is no cooled glove box to keep your cool drinks for the journey. One thing I was disappointed about is the lack of electric operation on the front passenger seat adjustment.

Doors opens wide(pardon me for the quality of the 1st image)
Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4-driver-side.jpeg
Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4-img_0073.jpg

With the passenger seat completely back. The arm rest is wide enough for both front occupants.
Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4-img_0074.jpg

The sunroof
Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4-img_0083.jpg

Middle row seating too is comfortable(split 40:60) but the sofa is slightly on the lower side., I would say between the Fortuner and the Endeavour. 3 regular size adults can sit comfortably over long periods. There is a grab handle to assist people climbing in which is very useful. The seat back has good recline angles too but the seats don't slide. I found the space in the middle row seating to be better than the Endeavour probably due to a wider cabin. The floor hump is a tiny one so the middle passenger does not have to sit with his knees up, but you would still feel the hump. With the front seats pulled completely back, there is just enough leg and knee space average height adults. Tall adults have to be "pally" with the front occupants. But I noticed any driver who needs to pull the seat completely back has to be very tall. Head room is just adequate.

Middle row seating
Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4-img_0075.jpg

Leg/knee space with driver's seat completely front
Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4-img_0368.jpg

with driver's seat completely back..
Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4-img_0367.jpg

Middle row arm rest with cup holder. They feel premium.
Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4-img_0389.jpg

About the 3rd row seating, its too low for an average height person. You sit with your knees pointing upwards but with the back reclining favorably, some stress is taken off while sitting. But its still not a place to be in for long periods. Its just OK to accommodate the 6th & 7th passenger for airport drops & wedding hall runs(my driver did this in the last week of Oct for a wedding in our family and there were young adults sitting in the 3rd row & they din't complain). So I guess people looking for that free ride won't complain about the 3rd row. That said the width and back support are good. Third row seating is best suited for children and fit adults though getting in and out is not cumbersome like the Endeavour but its still an effort. You need to step on the side stepper on one step, hold the grab handle on the B pillar, put the other step inside the third row leg space, rest the other palm on the sofa and slowly release yourself onto the low seat.

The 3rd row seating position
Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4-img_0375.jpg

Luggage space is decent too but the loading bay is a bit on the higher side. I have not stuffed in huge bags or suitcases so I have so far not experienced the difficulty levels, but I assume it will be an effort. There is an additional tray which has to be folded up to keep luggage on the floor. This tray acts like an intermediate storage place for light weight luggage.

Luggage space with all 3 rows up
Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4-img_0076.jpg

Air Conditioning
The dual zone AC in the front does a very good job. It is super convenient for front seat passengers who are comfortable at different ambient temperatures. The air throw noise is also tolerable at highest speed. The middle row AC is served by 2 vents centrally mounted on the floor with individual controls. The AC takes about 2 to 3 minutes to cool the front and middle zone under hot conditions. The third row has AC vents only on the right side..not cool.
At some places(like when you cross the Kengeri drain on NICE Road), I did notice that if the outside stink is too strong, it creeped inside the cabin too. Not cool for an expensive SUV. This used to happen in my XUV too. Mahindra had no clue about how to resolve this with the XUV back then. I just gave up.
In super hot conditions(40+ deg), I think the ventilated front seats along with AC will increase body comfort levels substantially.

The AC control console. Below that you can notice the buttons for front seat ventilation.
Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4-img_0190.jpg

Middle Row AC vents
Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4-img_0371.jpg

Third row AC vents but only on the right side.
Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4-img_0384.jpg

Central Infotainment & MID
The centrally mounted Infotainment is a 7" touch screen system which also doubles up as the 360 deg camera. As soon as you slot the stick into R mode, the touch screen shows feeds from all the cameras. The clarity is Ok, could have been better with sharper images.
You can set the MID to display the 4 screens:-
- Speedometer
- Drive information such as fuel consumption etc.
- User settings (allows you to set various settings such as turn indicator sound, auto door lock speed, tail gate operation technique among many others. It also allows you to set alerts for tyre pressure and service dues.) Its similar to the settings that we get on our mobile phones, except that its not touch screen. You use a little switch on the steering wheel to scroll up/down/enter. Reminds me of a Nokia phone I had once.
- FM Radio

The 7" Touch Screen Infotainment which doubles up as the 360 deg camera
Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4-img_0191.jpg

The MID
Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4-img_0183.jpg

Audio System & Sound Quality
Actually even without the amp and sub-woofer this music system does a good job. I have always liked bass more than treble and this system puts out good deep bass. I enjoyed listening to "Knockin on heaven's door". It would have been superb if they included the sub-woofer and amp. It supports both apple car play and android auto along with AUX and USB. Steering mounted controls enables you to change the track, change radio channels and volume. There's one good feature on the MID which enables you to display radio channels and audio tracks being played. So you don't have to turn your head to your left to see the touch screen infotainment to change something. I felt that's a very good safety oriented feature.

Steering mounted audio controls
Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4-img_0184.jpg

Wheels & Tyres
The 18 inch diamond cut alloy wheels are neither too flashy nor too ordinary. I can best describe it as elegant. The spare wheel is also an alloy too. I would have preferred the 20'' alloys like in the international Rexton G4. They add a lot of character to this big SUV.
The alloys on the Fortuner and Endeavour are a looker. They show a lot of character.
Rubber duties are done by 255/60 R18 Hankook tyres. There is something called "Kontrol Technology" embossed on the side walls. I do not know what it is. As far as grip levels are concerned, I have driven the G4 in dry and wet conditions and I did not face any jittery moments till now. Tyre noise is lesser than the Bridgestone tyres of my old XUV or maybe I hear it less due to the very good NVH control inside the cabin. About tyre wear life, I cannot comment right now. The Bridgestone Tyres on the XUV did about 1,10,000 kms when it started to loose grip levels. I'll be happy even if the Hankook tyres cross about 75,000 kms. But I assume each vehicle behaves differently upon the tyres. I would like to know from other readers about their experience with Hankook tyres if any. I would also like to know if the rear tyres wear faster on RWD compared to the FWD vehicles.

Head Lights
The low beam is white LED and the high beam is yellow halogen. With both ON they look different. The DRL's double up as turn indicators too which are LED. I noticed something interesting yesterday when my driver was driving. He was overtaking a slow moving truck from the left side on the exit road just before Bannerughatta NICE Road Toll gate. Its a right hand curve and the SUV sensors were ON. Just when we were right in the middle of overtaking the sensors sounded an alarm and the headlights automatically flashed alerting the truck driver. If that was technology that worked, its super cool.

Head lights operation stalk
Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4-img_0186.jpg

With all lights ON
Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4-img_0206-painted.jpg

Visibility quotient
Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4-img_0211.jpg

Other relevant pictures

Wipers operation stalk
Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4-img_0188.jpg

Knob for head lights beam adjustment, buttons for camera operation, tail gate opening, sensors ON/OFF, hill descent ON/OFF (pardon me for the flash)
Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4-img_0189.jpg

Off-road capabilities
I have never done off-roading in my G4, but got an opportunity to do in the TD G4. Well, its actually not off-drive by any measure, its just that I was not on tarmac. Bengalureans are probably doing this every day with Metro work going on.
The G4 has 2H, 4H & 4L options. It was a slushy water pipe line road near NICE road for about a km. I switched to 4H and the G4 passed it effortlessly. I guess it would have fared equally well with 2H too but I should have tried it to see if there was any difference. At one point the BWSSB had dug up for a drain work and covered it with loose soil. With continuous rain, it had kind of become like a slush pool. It was blocked with "tree branches" to prevent public from going over it. My driver was driving and we took the G4 into the slush pool. People were gazing at us wondering if we were out of our minds. I think the G4 tyres went like 6 inches deep in the slush.We switched the transmission to 4L and the G4 came out effortlessly without any wheel spin. I am not all competent to comment on off-roading capabilities of SUV's..,this is just my observation.
My friends & me are planning a trip to an off-road resort in Sakleshpur where one gets to do off-roading for about 5 kms. I believe it is strictly for 4WD vehicles only. Any tips/advise on off-roading is highly welcome.

Dealership experience & pricing
The booking was made at Anant Cars on Bannerughatta Road. The SA(Mr.Naveen) was very helpful in completing the booking formalities. Everything was done at my doorstep. They assured delivery before Diwali and it happened. Thanks to Anant cars for this. I bought the additional 4th and 5th year warranty, AMC pack for 4 years/1,00,000 kms and assured buy back after 4 years at pre-fixed price. But they are yet to complete the paperwork for these. I understand Mahindra is doing this for the first time with the Alturas and hence there are some delays. They will eventually do it I trust. I got a decent price for my XUV5OO in exchange with Mahindra Xmart. They also threw in accessories worth 25K. Overall I got a discount of Rs.1.75 lacs including the exchange bonus and 25K worth accessories. All in all I got the G4 with the above packs for about Rs.37.35 lacs on road. So effectively it was cheaper by Rs.5.6 lacs than the Fortuner 4x4 AT GS(@ Rs.42.95 lacs on road) and probably cheaper by Rs.5 lacs than the Endeavour 3.2(I dont have the exact price). Viva Toyota offered me a discount of 80K and JSP Ford said they will work out something. But none of them came to back to me after the TD. I had not discussed additional warranties and AMC costs with Ford and Toyota. So I guess they would cost extra.
The G4 just completed its 1st check up service(@ 1000 kms) at Anant Cars and as usual there were too many vehicles at Anant Cars. So a 2 hour check up took 5 hours. And funny things happen with their ASS:
- while my G4 was being serviced there I got a call from a lady from Anant Cars asking to know why I have not dropped the car for servicing after seeking appointment.
- While writing this review on day 1, I again got a call from the same lady asking to know why I did not bring the G4 for check up on the designated date .

Best useful features
- Memory options on the driver seat adjustment.
- Auto Hold feature for city stop-go traffic.
- Ventilated front seats.
- Electric parking brakes.
- Resuming cruise control after dis-engaging.
- 360 deg camera.

Opinion of family members
My wife felt the G4 to be very comfortable on the highways. She loves the dual zone AC (since we like different temperature settings) and sunroof. She feels releived from the stiff ride quality of the XUV.
My mother also felt very comfortable and relaxed on the highways, since with the XUV she could not manage long drives sitting in the middle row as she would get throw up sensations and I had to move her to the front seat. But she feels its too big and wonders how I'll drive it in the city.
My elder son is craving to drive it. I have put it on hold for some time. He is just 18 & he drives the i10.
My younger son had just one dream. He wanted to stand through the opened sunroof on a drive and I let him do that during the Blore-Vellore drive. He is thrilled.

Other little things
- From the outside one can hear the electric parking brake in operation when you operate the brake switch.
- The side stepper from Mahindra OEM Accessories bends down slightly while climbing on it if you are heavy, can be scary for old people.
- I have de-activated the auto tail gate open feature(when you just stand behind it with the key fob in your pocket). It can be funny
sometimes. It opened twice when I was just standing behind it.
- My Italian colleagues felt the suspension of the G4 is very good. We usually do the airport and factory trips in Bangalore. They also admried
the overall plushness. That was nice to hear from people driving fast cars in Europe.
- Before buying the G4, I was watching many reviews on Youtube. There is one review by CarsGuide from Australia comparing 5 SUV's. Their
overall rating was in the following descending order:-
- Pajero Sport
- Ford Everest(Endeavour)
- Ssangyong Rexton G4
- Isuzu Mux
- Toyota Fortuner
- Even though I have been driving the XUV for about 5 years, it took me a few kms of drive to get used to the sheer size and dynamics of the
G4. I brought home the Alturas just a day before the long weekend holidays for Diwali and traffic in Bangalore was choked. Trust me I needed
a lot of patience to bring it home safely.

I never wanted to buy an AT due to a knee reason. But then the only choice I had was the Fortuner MT and I had decided on it. Maybe if there was an MT available on the Alturas G4 and if it was good, I would have picked that. But after test driving the G4 3 times, I thought well lets move ON to the AT since anyhow my driver would be driving me most of the time.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th November 2019 at 07:48. Reason: Mention of high speed driving edited out
Pkumarblore is offline   (71) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 10:11   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ownership experience - My Mahindra Alturas G4

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!

Your car is going straight to our homepage .

Also dropping a link to the Alturas reviews by SDP & Aditya which can be found at this link.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 13:42   #3

Congratulations on the new Car!!

Quote:
My younger son had just one dream. He wanted to stand through the opened sunroof on a drive and I let him do that during the Blore-Vellore drive. He is thrilled.
Please do not do this ever again when the vehicle is moving. There have been several instances in the past where people(mostly children) have lost their lives by doing this when their necks were cut by maanja(thread used to fly kites).
ranjeet_sam is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 14:03   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjeet_sam View Post

Please do not do this ever again when the vehicle is moving. There have been several instances in the past where people(mostly children) have lost their lives by doing this when their necks were cut by maanja(thread used to fly kites).
Thanks. About the manja, that's a terrible thing to happen. Even though I was driving very slow I was always extra cautious. But the manja thing never occurred to my mind. Thanks again.
Pkumarblore is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 14:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkumarblore View Post
Hello Team-BHP'ians & other readers as well,
This is my initial(about 2200kms) ownership experience of the Mahindra Alturas G4. I have moved to the Alturas G4 after owning the XUV5OO W6 for about close to 5 years.
Thanks for sharing Pkumarblore!

I'm not a fan of SUVs, but when I had the Alturas G4 for a day, I was impressed by its interiors, the street presence and the Mahindra backing. I was in a semi rural area (land of white Fortuners and Endeavours) but the Alturas stood its own.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 15:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for this wonderfully detailed initial ownership review Kumar. I was waiting for a thorough Tbhp review of the G4 but it never happened. But for now your review will be the gold standard for all those who want to know about the G4 in detail.Kudos to you for going in the finer details a la Tbhp.

Keep this thread updated. All the best with your beast.
ram87pune is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 18:32   #7
NTO
BHPian

Wonderful detail for everyone considering the Alturas or in the market for a full sized SUV. Wishing you a happy zillion miles on this new beast.

Quote:
There are 2 variants available G2 & G4. The G2 is 4x2 AT and the G4 is 4x4 AT.
Just a small correction, both the 4WD and the 2WD variants are called the G4 only. However, it would've made more sense to have named it as G2 for the 2WD and G4 for the 4WD.
NTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 18:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:

Yes. Please don't be ignorant of this fact

Last edited by ajmat : 1st August 2020 at 09:39. Reason: reworded as it sounded a bit rude
Old 25th November 2019, 19:27   #9
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations on getting yourself a magnificent looking SUV, it does look huge and manages to fend off other players as far as street cred goes. Wish you miles of happiness with your Alturas G4.
Shall look forward for timely updates.

Quote:
Opinion of family members
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...-sunroofs.html (Dangerous Trend : Kids standing & sticking out of Sunroofs!)

Please read through this thread, you may come across many other pitfalls / instances of sunroof usage if misused.

Quote:
In year 2002, I had the displeasure of a cable [tv / dish cable] trying to slice my throat at around 22:00 hrs in Civil Lines Area, Delhi. You never know what is lurking and one may get an injury. You would be lucky to escape it with minor injury like me.
Sheel is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 21:13   #10
BHPian

Congratulations on hoing against the herd and picking a car suited to you .
Quote:
Mahindra should come up with some accessory to mark the extreme left corner.
A simple fender mirror should help, no?
Btw, the bull bar at the back may affect your crumple zones in the event of an accident. Other forum members may be able to shed light on this.
Iyencar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 22:37   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomsome View Post
Yes. Please don't let your ignorance kill your son.
Thanks for your feedback and advise. I am normally a very safety oriented driver and follower too. I constantly keep giving my driver advises while driving.
About this sun roof incident, let me be very frank. I thought of all the dangers, selected a stretch where I would not be over taken for 1 km, there are no tree branches hanging, no cables or wires dangling and the weather is permissable. I so well know about the dangers of stones flying from vehicles in the front because I have replaced the front wind shield 3 times on my old XUV due to cracks from flying stones. So I believe I took utmost care to see no such unfortunate incident happens.
But that's why we call it an "unfortunate accident". I guess I am lucky nothing untoward happened during that 1 km drive. I take your feedback constructively. I would like to take the initiative forward and spread the awareness about this.
Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Congratulations on getting yourself a magnificent looking SUV,

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...-sunroofs.html (Dangerous Trend : Kids standing & sticking out of Sunroofs!)

Please read through this thread, you may come across many other pitfalls / instances of sunroof usage if misused.

In year 2002, I had the displeasure of a cable .
Thanks. I am sorry about the unfortunate incident with you.
Trust me had I read this post earlier, I would have stayed away from letting my son stand through the sun roof.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 26th November 2019 at 11:07. Reason: Merging back to back posts. please use edit option when replying.
Pkumarblore is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 10:39   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTO View Post
Just a small correction, both the 4WD and the 2WD variants are called the G4 only. However, it would've made more sense to have named it as G2 for the 2WD and G4 for the 4WD.
Thanks for correcting me. But I actually picked the G2 word from a youtube review video. I cant remember exactly which video it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
Congratulations on hoing against the herd and picking a car suited to you .
A simple fender mirror should help, no?
Btw, the bull bar at the back may affect your crumple zones in the event of an accident. Other forum members may be able to shed light on this.
Thanks.
About the fender mirror, Mahindra OEM accessories do not have it. I will have to look for it in the open market.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 26th November 2019 at 11:08. Reason: Merging back to back posts. please use edit option when replying.
Old 26th November 2019, 10:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations!

This looks good inside out. I saw it some months ago on the road and it was fresh, different and imposing.
The interiors with that tan/brown color looked striking.

Not sure how it will stand the test of time. You would get to know eventually I guess. But a Fortuner in your rear view mirror is no more a reason to give way.

Have a good time with it.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 14:36   #14
BHPian

Congratulations! It really looks imposing on the road.

What's the onroad cost btw in Bangalore now?
Old 26th November 2019, 15:27   #15
BHPian

Heartiest congratulations on your new ride! Kudos for choosing this beast over the Forturner & Endeavour, the interiors are quite simply drool-worthy!
Wish you a fun-filled & safe motoring experience.
Nair.V8 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks