Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2021, 10:20   #46
BHPian

Re: Ownership Review : Journey with my VW Vento 1.2 TSI Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
How does this affect Airbags? I have a polo for which I want to get a few things done including replacing the horn cap with or without airbags. If you know of anyone who can do a good job in Bangalore, do share details.

Give Carsmith motors a call. They are on Sarjapur Road near Jakkasandra. Very knowledgeable and should be able to do it for you.
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 17:52   #47
BHPian

OEM Bixenon Headlights Upgrade

Ownership Review : Journey with my VW Vento 1.2 TSI Highline-3f628e36d5614316aa3faa9b390be15a.jpeg

Every time I tell myself that this is the last upgrade, something new comes up. When I dropped my car at VW last time for a running repair, they wanted to enter my aftermarket lights into their records, I was able to talk them into letting it pass. I’ve been interested in the OEM bixenons from a very long time, I never got them because the assemblies cost a bomb. Recently, I was able to get my hands on a pair from my friend’s car.

There are 2 different installation processes and both are fairly well documented and covered on this forum by other BHPians. I’ve installed these without BCM Max and the associated wiring. The only caveats are that the cornering function works only on indicator and the leveller provided in the cabin doesn’t work anymore. All other features are fully working as designed.

Ownership Review : Journey with my VW Vento 1.2 TSI Highline-5ea4a08700034852a08ee1ef82f27239.jpeg

Ownership Review : Journey with my VW Vento 1.2 TSI Highline-cfc117b2e35e4a8aa62aa07d1e5b435e.jpeg

Ownership Review : Journey with my VW Vento 1.2 TSI Highline-21a513bea5d34dfcbafc5c522a3eb112.jpeg

Ownership Review : Journey with my VW Vento 1.2 TSI Highline-6f23bd171055428e8653445c2b3b9068.jpeg

Ownership Review : Journey with my VW Vento 1.2 TSI Highline-c720381882c944b6a6f17c6c45d598bc.jpeg

I’ve never been as happier with any other permutation or combination of bulbs and assemblies I’ve tried earlier on this car. This is the best possible upgrade in terms of performance in the lighting department. I regret having tried the earlier combinations and wasting money on them. I love the even light spread, the almost nil warm up time and the cornering lamps usability and the cool looking DRL.

Ownership Review : Journey with my VW Vento 1.2 TSI Highline-bdf812ccfe16461fbccd6d42f332d538.jpeg

This picture is with the cornering lamps turned on.

Ownership Review : Journey with my VW Vento 1.2 TSI Highline-52481cf6a3bc4799a3df3c37ce3e80e0.jpeg

The difference these cornering lamps make is well observed upon looking towards the gate on the right side in the picture.

The combinations I’ve tried before :

1) Stock reflector assemblies with stock halogen bulbs
2) Stock reflector assemblies with LED bulbs
3) Aftermarket dual projector eagle eye UU assemblies with LED bulbs
4) Aftermarket dual projector eagle eye UU assemblies with 55w HID kits

On all my previous combinations, I felt the need to use fog lamps in city for visibility, along with the high beams occasionally. These lights are so good that even on the highways, just the low beams feel so much more better than all lights turned on in the previous combinations.

Last edited by sarfraz1997 : 15th August 2021 at 17:58. Reason: Adding info
sarfraz1997 is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 09:24   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarfraz1997 View Post
OEM Bixenon Headlights Upgrade

I’ve been interested in the OEM bixenons from a very long time, I never got them because the assemblies cost a bomb.
Looks great! Could you please share what the OEM bixenons would have cost, had you gone for it? Thanks!
PearlJam is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 13:00   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Looks great! Could you please share what the OEM bixenons would have cost, had you gone for it? Thanks!
Brand new assemblies with brand new parts are approx over a lakh in parts before customs duty. I got used assemblies from my friend’s car.
sarfraz1997 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 05:45   #50
BHPian

Hey, can you give more details on the bulbs you're using in the setup. Whats in the projector and whats for high beam. A friend of mine has a similar setup but complains of poor visibility and has to use fogs like you've mentioned. Thanks in advance.
Gorkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 09:14   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorkey View Post
Hey, can you give more details on the bulbs you're using in the setup. Whats in the projector and whats for high beam. A friend of mine has a similar setup but complains of poor visibility and has to use fogs like you've mentioned. Thanks in advance.
I’m using OEM Ballasts by Mitsubishi and Osram bulbs. Projector is stock, I haven’t replaced. This is OEM bixenon, not a replica. This has a single bulb for both low beam and high beam, and a separate H7 bulb for cornering lamps.

Last edited by sarfraz1997 : 20th August 2021 at 09:15.
Old 20th August 2021, 22:26   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarfraz1997 View Post
I’m using OEM Ballasts by Mitsubishi and Osram bulbs. Projector is stock, I haven’t replaced. This is OEM bixenon, not a replica. This has a single bulb for both low beam and high beam, and a separate H7 bulb for cornering lamps.
Where can I buy these OEM bixenon. And will it fit properly in the projector or do we need to cut or do something to make it fit? That will be a big help.
Gorkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 23:17   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorkey View Post
Where can I buy these OEM bixenon. And will it fit properly in the projector or do we need to cut or do something to make it fit? That will be a big help.
OEM bixenon is an entire headlight assembly in itself, it is not a part to fit into an existing headlight assembly, this will need suitable wiring or BCM Max. You can contact any retrofit organisations in the market, they will be able to source, I bought mine from my friend’s car.
Old 22nd August 2021, 10:34   #54
BHPian

The new set of headlights look great!

Hey guys - I have a 2017 Vento Highline TDI (DSG). Recently, I have been experiencing that stopping the car after a long(ish) drive of 40 KMs, it takes time to move forward especially during parking when I shift from reverse to drive. The time to move forward ranges from 15 seconds to 30 seconds. However, if I slot to N and then back to D then it moves ahead without delay.

Does anyone know if we need to change the DSG oil ever? Whenever I ask the SA, the usual response is that it's not required.
Old 23rd August 2021, 22:32   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIRaghav View Post
The new set of headlights look great!

Hey guys - I have a 2017 Vento Highline TDI (DSG). Recently, I have been experiencing that stopping the car after a long(ish) drive of 40 KMs, it takes time to move forward especially during parking when I shift from reverse to drive. The time to move forward ranges from 15 seconds to 30 seconds. However, if I slot to N and then back to D then it moves ahead without delay.

Does anyone know if we need to change the DSG oil ever? Whenever I ask the SA, the usual response is that it's not required.
Hey, thanks for the compliment about the lights. It would be better if you can make a video so that we can understand better.

The Vento comes with DQ200 gearbox and it is indeed sealed for life.
sarfraz1997 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 15:36   #56
BHPian

Having a VW / Skoda / Audi car = endless options and possibilities for retrofits and upgrades.

Auto Detection with 8K OPS

My friend and fellow Bhpian fluidicjoy and I had been contemplating on doing this for a while now.

As the name suggests, this retrofit enables auto-detection of objects or vehicles when the car is moving under 15kmph. It might be annoying to some, but the good news is that it can be disabled anytime from the Maxidot cluster. To do this, I had to replace the OPS module along with the wiring harness to connect the older connectors into this relatively newer module.

Ownership Review : Journey with my VW Vento 1.2 TSI Highline-_dsc1105.jpg

It was a fairly simple and straightforward DIY for replacing the module, however, as an obligatory event, most often things don’t go as smooth as one expects while doing a retrofit or a DIY. I was all excited, fired up the engine, pressed on the PDC switch only to see that there is some issue. I quickly connected VCDS and took a scan to see multiple errors and also to find out that the module is not coded. I was then trying out multiple codings with the help of coding helper from VCDS, but the module was not accepting and kept throwing an error saying “Coding Rejected, Request of range”. I was finally able to get it to work with some help from Google and my friends.

Ownership Review : Journey with my VW Vento 1.2 TSI Highline-img_9078.jpg

This is how the screen looks like when it is auto-triggered.

I haven’t used this extensively yet. There are certain parameters based on which it decides whether or not to turn on and whether or not to start making the sound. I believe this is to avoid annoyance to the driver and passengers. But it has overall been accurate so far, worked whenever I expected it to and ‘sort’ of needed the assistance. The car also shows a static path, to indicate if the car is moving forwards or backwards on the OPS screen.

Ownership Review : Journey with my VW Vento 1.2 TSI Highline-_dsc1114.jpeg

Ownership Review : Journey with my VW Vento 1.2 TSI Highline-_dsc1112.jpeg

“Salvador” alloy wheels from the Polo GTI

I was drooling over these alloys for a long time. VW was quoting exorbitant prices and there were no decent condition wheels at a fair price in the market. I started contacting owners who were selling their Polo GTI. It was then that I came across one such set in Hyderabad itself which was listed on TeamBHP. I was quick to go, check them out and pick them up as I didn’t want to miss them.

The 16” Portago’s from VW are 6.5J while these are 7J, meaning the tyres had to have been a minimum of 195mm section width, and the recommended section width is 205mm or 215mm. I didn’t want to get another set of tyres because nobody would pay fair value for used tyres depending on their life and age. Hence, I put my previous Continental UC6 195/55 R16 tyres on them.

I’ve observed that both ride and handling have improved with these alloys, I was surprised to see a better absorbing ride as I was of the opinion that wider tyres mean a compromise in comfort. The negatives of wider contact area are obvious, higher rolling resistance = slower acceleration and higher road noise. My next set of tyres would be 205/50 or 215/50 from Michelin. If anyone is thinking between Michelin or Continental, I would suggest Michelin any day.

Ownership Review : Journey with my VW Vento 1.2 TSI Highline-_dsc1042.jpeg

General updates :

I hit the 50,000kms mark earlier last week. Working on retrofits on this car had accidentally scratched the instrument cluster. The plastic is also very sensitive and gets easily scratched while cleaning the dust. Taking inspiration from Gannu, I ordered displex from US. I tried the product on my stock cluster first to get an idea about the effectiveness. After seeing very good results, I went to Autopia, a detailing store recently opened by a Bhpian in Hyderabad. I got the Maxidot cluster polished with their tiniest machine. Since my OCD would clean the cluster very frequently, I got STEK ppf done for the cluster to avoid the hassle in the future. Autopia’s team has been very accommodating and supportive on doing this job. I earlier got Llumar Platinum PPF done on my headlights from them as well along with a wash + wax with Collinite 845. Everyone is very skilled at what they do, and they’re very professional on how they go about their jobs and they pay a lot of attention to detail. I would definitely recommend everyone in and around Hyderabad to try them out.

My brakes were making noise right from the first free inspection when I bought the car. VW always kept shrugging it off blaming the brake dust and kept saying they’re still a long way from giving up and just kept cleaning the brakes. The noise is very irritating after the brakes get hot, specially on the highways. After multiple ‘cleaning’ jobs, I finally decided to spend some time to check the drums personally and scheduled a visit to VW last Sunday. To no surprise, the left drum was pretty uneven and had lines. I decided to get both drums and shoes replaced. Total damage to the pocket : 9859₹. It took about 2 hours for the job.

Each drum (6RU 609 617 A) costed 2,880₹ and the brake shoes set (6RU 698 525 A) costed 1,874₹. I was charged a labour of 2,225₹

Here is a parting shot for this post.

Ownership Review : Journey with my VW Vento 1.2 TSI Highline-_dsc1071.jpeg
sarfraz1997 is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 15:17   #57
BHPian

Just WOW! The GTI rims compliment the Vento. See your vehicle it is difficult to believe that your vehicle is done 50k kms. Its in absolutely mint condition. Also you have done some super updates to your ride. Cheers!
Old 3rd February 2022, 08:21   #58
BHPian

how much does the OE LED lights which comes with HL+ cost? Over a lac for the pair. i am getting a HL Vento in 1-2 weeks hence asking.
Old 6th February 2022, 02:39   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
how much does the OE LED lights which comes with HL+ cost? Over a lac for the pair. i am getting a HL Vento in 1-2 weeks hence asking.
The OE LED lights on the HL+ should be about 1.3-1.5L for the headlights along with the numerous modules it requires for DRL, Low Beam etc.

The HL+ has quite a few things more which are necessary for these Headlights like a different BCM and an axle which includes a Levelling Sensor for AFS, since these LEDs support Auto Levelling.

The BCM, AFS and the headlights are not simply plug and play with respect to the HL model, since there's plenty of wiring differences. The HL+ is a lot more advanced and future proof, and the initial cost upfront could be offset by a lesser cost ahead for any potential future retrofits you may be interested in.

So if you plan on getting full functionality of your LED headlights and want a car which can take on few other upgrades in the future, then the HL+ is the better bet to begin with, since most things would be more plug and play. I learnt this the hard way when we got a Polo a few years back.

The OE LEDs will however offer most of the working functionality on a HL with a T10-T14 adapter, but naturally won't be able to level themselves (manual headlight level switch in the car will cease to work). Without proper levelling, I've found that even the best headlights in the world fail to provide a reliable, inspiring drive.
fluidicjoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 07:59   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidicjoy View Post
The OE LED lights on the HL+ should be about 1.3-1.5L for the headlights along with the numerous modules it requires for DRL, Low Beam etc.

The HL+ has quite a few things more which are necessary for these Headlights like a different BCM and an axle which includes a Levelling Sensor for AFS, since these LEDs support Auto Levelling.

The BCM, AFS and the headlights are not simply plug and play with respect to the HL model, since there's plenty of wiring differences. The HL+ is a lot more advanced and future proof, and the initial cost upfront could be offset by a lesser cost ahead for any potential future retrofits you may be interested in.

So if you plan on getting full functionality of your LED headlights and want a car which can take on few other upgrades in the future, then the HL+ is the better bet to begin with, since most things would be more plug and play. I learnt this the hard way when we got a Polo a few years back.

The OE LEDs will however offer most of the working functionality on a HL with a T10-T14 adapter, but naturally won't be able to level themselves (manual headlight level switch in the car will cease to work). Without proper levelling, I've found that even the best headlights in the world fail to provide a reliable, inspiring drive.
Thanks fluidicjoy for the detailed info. 1.3+ lacs just to upgrade the lights seems to be too high for my for my pocket. VW has discontinued the HL+ MT and only offering in AT. The difference would be too much. I started eyeing for a 2nd small car (had tiago in mind), but ended up finalising the Vento HL. If i go any higher in budget, i may become single again very soon

Will reach out for few VCDS related query once i get the car.

Last edited by hyper-VTEC : 6th February 2022 at 08:00. Reason: typos and grammar
hyper-VTEC is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks