Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2021, 11:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA (H247)

GLA is one of my considerations when I upgrade from my existing drive - Duster AWD. So this review is worth more than 5 stars - kudos!
However, its not worth 60L & with MB lowering the discounts, its ruling itself out of contention. 330i is so much more value (I dont mind mixing crossers with sedans) & thrilling to drive. Eagerly waiting for Q3 as well although I dont quite like its shape but will make an opinion after seeing it in flesh.
Equus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 12:28   #17
BHPian

I remember one of my relative buying GLA 220D in 2019 for 42 Lakhs on road in Bangalore after discounts. Talk about inflation!!!
Everlearner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 13:21   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnav612 View Post
My personal belief still stands at the GLC being yet a generation older than today's Mercs. It still follows the feature omission pattern from the W205 where there was no memory seats across all variants.
Not entirely true. The W205 C Class has memory seats from mid-2019 onwards till date. Even in its pre-facelift version, this feature was present when launched in 2014 as a CBU unit but was removed when it was launched as a CKD unit, the following year. Likewise, memory seats were present in GLC (Edition 1) when launched, as a CBU, in 2016 but were removed later. Somehow, Mercedes-Benz India are too conservative with this feature and providing an option for genuine leather upholstery. Oh, and also none of their cars, below the 80L price bracket, get smart key access. E350d is an exception here though.
romil.shroff is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 15:00   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romil.shroff View Post
Not entirely true. The W205 C Class has memory seats from mid-2019 onwards till date. Even in its pre-facelift version, this feature was present when launched in 2014 as a CBU unit but was removed when it was launched as a CKD unit, the following year. Likewise, memory seats were present in GLC (Edition 1) when launched, as a CBU, in 2016 but were removed later. Somehow, Mercedes-Benz India are too conservative with this feature and providing an option for genuine leather upholstery. Oh, and also none of their cars, below the 80L price bracket, get smart key access. E350d is an exception here though.
All the CBU versions of the C Class and GLC got memory seats and Burmester audio. I was referring to the CKD versions which saw a mass murder of alot of feel good features. The point remains at the fact that as you rightly said, Mercedes is very very dicey with this feature to the extent that even the most recent V213 E Class doesn't get front memory seats unless it's the E350d.
Arnav612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 21:22   #20
BHPian

Great Review. I test drove the petrol GLA today and I must say the size has increased considerably from the previous version and plus the interiors are top notch, one of the best in this segment.
techspark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 09:23   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw the new GLA today and honestly for a minute, I thought it was an S-Cross. This car is small! The previous gen GLA somehow had a distinctive presence, thanks to its relative length compared to its width and height and its unique shape. This one looks ubiquitous and will just be lost int the crowd - it looks not much different from a Baleno or a Toyota Glanza, maybe marginally longer?

The exterior paint finish did not seem distinctive and rich either. Although the car was clean, it did not have the paint quality of many of the newer cars even in lower segments, such as the Harrier. The chrome strip running around the windows also showed a misalignment at the C pillar area as you can see from the photo.

I just could not believe this is a 55 lakh car, does not look as well finished externally as some newer cars even a third of the price. I must admit I have not seen the interiors yet, and that is supposed to be special. Somehow the car did not make a good initial impression on me.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA (H247)-img20210814wa0000.jpg  

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 14th August 2021 at 09:41.
84.monsoon is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 08:27   #22
BHPian

Short disclaimer: This is my first post on Team-BHP or a community forum of any kind. This is neither a comprehensive review as found across the forum, nor an advertisement of any kind, but rather a collection of my own thoughts on what I have experienced and felt. Please do drop in a few tips and suggestions to make my content enjoyable for everyone and to help it remain within the forum guidelines.

Hey guys. Firstly, thanks for tuning into this thread. I am a 20 year old (soon to be 21) automotive enthusiast, who actively dives into the internet searching for rare and unique parts that I wish to one day own, and indulging in automotive history.

This is my first post here, and I thought of sharing my views on a car which I quite recently experienced that left a lasting impression and a wide grin.

This all began on 15th August, 2021; when I rushed from my home to Sofitel Mumbai at BKC to join the T97 Independence Day Drive. I have attended almost all the editions that transpired since 2018, and have been part of the drive in 2019 and 2021. After meeting with title promoter of the event (a huge contributor to my automotive journey and someone who has let me whole heartedly enjoy AMG automobiles), I was introduced to my morning's ride, a black GLA 35 AMG, with sticker on the windscreen with the number 4 on it.

Review: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA (H247)-20210815_074026.jpg

I am a fan of the first generation GLA. It may have have looked like a pumped up A Class, it still possessed an oomph and ruggedness about it, which made the car feel special; like a mini SUV. This new car on the other hand, looked rather vulpine and sleek. The model line has now truly plunged into the crossover segment, and gone is the boy-band vibe the older GLA 45 AMG had.

Since the car was part of the sponsor's line-up present for the drive, it was at the lead of the pack with an A 35 and C 63 AMG waiting alongside it. I soon joined a passionate and lively executive as shotgun, whose taste in music and speed reflected close to mine. We were soon joined by two of his colleagues and were flagged off from BKC; making our way to the Bandra-Worli sea link.

Review: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA (H247)-screenshot_20210817013403_instagram.jpg
Image Courtesy: IG:- @throttle97, @thecarstats; Mercedes-AMG Autohangar

Having experienced the passenger seat of an E63 S with a racing driver at the wheel, the GLA 35 felt like a pocket rocket. While the speakers did play an affable limerick (a feint to the ears); the acceleration was surreal for a car meant as a start to the AMG line up. We scarpered away from the convoy once we crossed the cameras on sea link. The 8 speed DCT shifts like butter and the 2.0 Turbo 4 pot packs a punch; the 306 bhp feels like 350 bhp (thanks to AWD), keeping up with Mustangs, a C43, a few W204 C63s, and E91 M3s. I do not endorse the fact that car would be faster than the ones I have mentioned as we had accelerated on short stretches with them, I would like to allude that if this car is tuned correctly, it will become a stalwart companion at the drag strip.

Review: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA (H247)-20210817_013504.jpg

After driving across Marine Drive and Colaba, we soon made it onto the Eastern Expressway, where we encountered a bit of traffic. The car, despite being in sports plus mode, was a dream to drive. The Burmester sound system was a joy to have and in my opinion could single handedly provide audio to an electronic music concert in Mahalaxmi Racecourse (being a DJ myself). As the rains progressed, we had to move back to comfort mode, however the transition in settings felt minimal. The cockpit was roomy enough for me and I think it would be sufficient for my 6 ft 2 mate if he were to sit behind.

Speaking more about the handling, the suspension of the car is playful. Even with a slightly raised height, the car instills a sense of sanguinity along the corners and gives you the feeling to push more. There is a bit of body roll along sharp turns, but the overall ride is firm.

Review: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA (H247)-img20210816wa0002.jpg
Image Courtesy: Clinton Pereira, Mercedes-AMG Autohangar

Soon it all came to an end when we returned again to the starting point. The car had changed my mind about the 35 line and has since left me wanting for a similar itch from my Mk.5 Honda City i-VTEC (my soon to be project car once my parents switch to another car of their liking). This car serves as a good alternative to many new and used sports cars in the same price bracket range, and in no way feels like a sportier passenger vehicle.

The complaints I have are as follows:

1. Styling: if not for the AMG badge and wheels, I could have passed it off as any AMG line car on the road. It is not as imposing as its 43 SUV brethren nor recognisable like any older CLA or GLA AMGs. The does not feel sporty to look at when compared to the older GLA 45 AMG.

2. Fan noises: The car has faint whining noises coming from the engine after short stretches of acceleration. The car does not overheat, but it in the long run it does not instil a sense of trust or reliability.

3. Lack of organic noises: the speakers play acceleration noises in cogent crescendo, but it is not convincing. It sounds like a louder GLA 200 on the outside, something I would not look for in an AMG.

4. Price range: It is a good alternative, but a considerable one. Prices may begin around Rs. 58 lakhs, post registration it is north of Rs 70 lakhs (for someone like me who will have to register with MH 01 plates). There are many faster (and considerably cheaper) alternatives present in the market around any time of the year.

Now I have written in the title that the GLA 35 AMG is a sleeper for a family of three and allow me to explain why. My parents have both been sports car owners: my Dad a W124 coupe and my Mum a 1954 Triumph TR3A. They both understand what driving is and have never compromised a bit when it came to our family cars. If a family like mine were to upgrade to a GLA 35, I think it would make sense. The car is small enough for Mumbai roads to navigate through, while peppy enough for the three of us to pull on highways and mountain passes. Having more than 400 bhp would be well suited for enthusiasts and owners who take their cars more often to the track; not for someone like my parents and myself. They are constantly busy at work, while I am behind a study desk with my engineering textbooks.

The GLA 35 AMG would be an option to begin my sports car ownership journey with. It is a fine pocket rocket in the world of increasing turbo engines and AWD, and is a nod to everything done right to the setting era of fossil fuel engines. I am thankful to experience a car such as this; it made me realise what got me into cars in the first place.
hey.rudey is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 15:43   #23
BHPian

Took the GLA diesel 4Matic for a 3000km trip to Ladakh last week. Some visuals here. Even witnessed season's first proper snowfall and a made it to the Siachen Base Camp.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA (H247)-img20211016141007.jpg  

Review: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA (H247)-img20211017152042.jpg  

Review: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA (H247)-jul0335401.jpeg  

Review: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA (H247)-jul0340401.jpeg  

BunnyPunia is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 16:03   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Took the GLA diesel 4Matic for a 3000km trip to Ladakh last week. Some visuals here. Even witnessed season's first proper snowfall and a made it to the Siachen Base Camp.
Superb, Amazing pictures there BunnyPunia.. Just a quick question did the car scrapeoff anywhere during the journey? Since the GC looks a matter of concern at the outset.

TIA
Old 25th December 2021, 09:18   #25
BHPian

Except the badge and lux feel that comes along with it, does it really justify the price over say an already overpriced crossover like the VW Tiguan? Both fall in same category though the later seems more practical to use with bigger boot space I guess. The boot space here, if I’m not mistaken, looked almost unusable for a long trip with a spare wheel eating considerable amount of space. A few lacs premium over the Tiguan would have been totally justified for the badge value and premium feel. But 20? Or 60% more? What can be the discounts that can be expected, just to know if it still justifies the premium.
Old 5th February 2022, 18:20   #26
BHPian

I think this is a good review. But I think part of the pricing issue is the Govt policies. Anyhow, GLB which is based on the same platform and offers a much bigger stance and looks like a proper SUV with 5+2 seats is a much better buy.
Have driven GLB on different terrains and feels amazing to drive.
Old 7th February 2022, 13:18   #27
BHPian

I was eyeing GLA as my next ride, and have been speaking to the Sales Advisor at Sundaram Motors here in Bangalore. He mentioned that all MY22 cars now come with 12 proximity sensors (front, back, sides) with proximity alerts (below 25kph) and parking assistance. This addresses one of the big issues with the new GLA when it was launched. Still quite expensive, but at least this is taken care off
Peregrine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 14:10   #28
BHPian

Our GLA finally comes home!

Review: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA (H247)-whatsapp-image-20220330-4.34.31-pm.jpeg

We took delivery of our GLA 220d 4 MATIC in Denim Blue this week from VST Titanium Motors in Chennai. The wait time was approximately 2 months from the time of booking. The overall dealership experience was positive and very transparent under MB India’s Retail of the future.

Why the GLA 220d?

The GLA was an unlikely choice.

Based on recommendations on team-bhp, the 330i was my default option. I did not have the slightest of intent to visit a Mercedes Benz showroom as I had it in my mind that these were expensive and unreliable cars only for those who looking for luxury and snob value.

I had visited the BMW dealer (KUN) quite a few times but there wasn’t even a 330i to test drive. I got short test drives in a 330Li and a 320Ld but did not really need a Long wheelbase version as my kids are just 8 and 4 and its only the either of us behind the wheel. The 330i sport was all but discontinued (BMW’s focus appears to be shifting towards high margin products) and the 330i m-sport was at about 62L and the 330Li was 67L. KUN BMW has a monopoly here in Chennai so basically it was their deal or no deal. As I held on, the prices were going up consistently by 3% a quarter and the equipment level was coming down which was rather frustrating.

I was lamenting to a friend who convinced me that looking at other options wouldn’t hurt and put me in touch with the sales team at VST Titanium motors and Jubliant Audi and that week I got to try out the A35 AMG, GLA35 AMG, GLA 200, GLA 220d and the Audi A4, a memorable one indeed.

These cars weren’t bad at all! The A4 was surreal but the 35 AMGs really tugged the heartstrings and the MBUX was like no other. But what surprised me the most was the performance of the 220d. It was a fast revving, smooth and quick car and was nothing like the clattery diesel motor I was used to in my Jeep Compass.

I followed up for a quote with Mercedes for the GLA 220d and here is where their retail of the future approach was a revelation. After seeing insurance quotes in the range of 2.5-2.8L for the 330i and handling charges to the tune of 50k and ‘etc’ price heads at BMW, the MB India quote was amazingly transparent.

Insurance quote was 1.2L for a 55L car, there was no handling charges and on giving proof of my employment at a MNC, I got a further profile discount of 2L on the ex-showroom. Chip shortage or not, MB India still offered me a corporate discount on a car that had to be manufactured on booking. And the 3 year comprehensive + 8 year unlimited mileage warranty on engine and transmission was far more than what anyone else offered.

So it was to be. A GLA 220d 4 MATIC AMG line at 55L OTR in Denim Blue.

Initial impressions

Karan’s review was spot on. I find the GLA 220d to be very enjoyable in the city and on open stretches. As he’s already covered the essence of the car, I’d note down some nuances and differences that I found in my MY 22 car.
  • Park Assist: The MY22 cars come with park-tronic and auto-parking assist features that the original media cars did not get. Auto-park is very easy to use but the park ironic sensors can be over sensitive in dense traffic but you can turn it off quickly on the touch screen.
  • Spare wheel position: The production version cars have the spare wheel under the boot so you get that flat and usable boot space. However, the AMG35 still has that spare wheel eating into the boot space.
  • Sliding Seats: The MY22 cars DO NOT get the sliding or forward reclining rear seats OR the central arm rest.
  • Ride Quality: On delivery, I found the ride to be very stiff but then found the tyre pressure to be 40+ PSI. On reducing it to 34 upfront and 32 at the rear, the car rides much much better.
  • Audio Quality: Audio quality may not be Burmester class but is very good
  • Android Auto/Apple Car play: Although the car has 5 USB type c ports, only the one in the front directly below the A/C controls supports smartphone integration. I needed to get a right angle type c cable to be able to connect and position my phone in that phone slot but once that’s done, its stable and usable.

I will post a detailed ownership experience after putting on a few thousand miles on the car. Once again, thanks to Karan for his accurate and comprehensive review
clementj is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 14:41   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementj View Post
Based on recommendations on team-bhp, the 330i was my default option.
How is the interiors of the GLA compared to the BMW 330i? Considering that they are from 2 different segments. I know that the difference between the 3 and 5 series is very stark.
Old 6th April 2022, 19:07   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
How is the interiors of the GLA compared to the BMW 330i? Considering that they are from 2 different segments. I know that the difference between the 3 and 5 series is very stark.
Interiors of GLA are a different league altogether. If you are largely driving alone or driving with just a co-pax, GLA is "the" choice over BMW. Stunning interiors, super-intuitive UI and connected car features (though remote engine start is not offered in India I guess). As I stated elsewhere, the NVH and back-seat ride quality were the issues for us.

Diff in interiors between 3 and 5 series BMW: These are from different platforms. The level of refinement in 5 series is interiors obviously better and you'd pay for that, adaptive suspension and laser lights. 330i gives you sport suspensions while Li gives you the "bad road package" with a really soft suspension (coupled with 8mm higher ground clearance). 5 series suspension adapts between these and allows you to configure the suspension on drive modes.
Impulsivemedusa is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks