Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2023, 12:35   #46

Re: Review: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA (H247)

Hi In my last post I mentioned that the expected delivery of my GLA220d was March23. Around 20th March MBIL sent a mail stating the EDD is 31.03.23 and they gave me the VIN number and commission number also. But nothing happened subsequently. I was not even asked make the payment. On enquiry, I was informed that the delivery is post poned due to supply chain issues and now it would be mid-May. I wonder whether this is normal and has happened with any other member here.
Old 10th May 2023, 15:08   #47
BHPian

Hi All,

I have recently booked a new GLA220d 4Matic - there was one car available at a heavy discount. The wait period shows as Delivery expected in Oct '23. I am fine with that as I am not in a rush.

On the Mercedes India website itself, I got a 5 lacs discount from the standard on-road price when compared to the standard GLA220d 4 Matic prices. I was not considering the 4 matic version initially as it was 3 lacs higher than the regular GLA220d, however with the online reduced price by 5 lacs, only one 220d 4 matic was showing up and this was even lower than the regular GLA 220d.

Upon inquiring with the dealer about the reasons prior to booking, I was told that that the chassis was punched in Dec '22 but the model year will be 2023 as the car is still in production and the car will have all the latest features etc. that a 2023 car would have.

Is this normal or does this raise some red flags? What other questions do I need to ask and confirm with my dealer?

I really like the car and an instant 5 lacs discount on a GLA 220d 4matic was too sweet to pass on as there was just one such car available in the online Mercedes store.

Can someone please guide me on this topic and help me make an informed decision?
Adsc0230 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 18:51   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adsc0230 View Post
Hi All,

I have recently booked a new GLA220d 4Matic - there was one car available at a heavy discount. The wait period shows as Delivery expected in Oct '23. I am fine with that as I am not in a rush.

On the Mercedes India website itself, I got a 5 lacs discount from the standard on-road price when compared to the standard GLA220d 4 Matic prices. I was not considering the 4 matic version initially as it was 3 lacs higher than the regular GLA220d, however with the online reduced price by 5 lacs, only one 220d 4 matic was showing up and this was even lower than the regular GLA 220d.

Upon inquiring with the dealer about the reasons prior to booking, I was told that that the chassis was punched in Dec '22 but the model year will be 2023 as the car is still in production and the car will have all the latest features etc. that a 2023 car would have.

Is this normal or does this raise some red flags? What other questions do I need to ask and confirm with my dealer?

I really like the car and an instant 5 lacs discount on a GLA 220d 4matic was too sweet to pass on as there was just one such car available in the online Mercedes store.

Can someone please guide me on this topic and help me make an informed decision?

It is quite common to buy cars manufactured in Nov-Dec of the previous year but with the latest model year for a discount. As long as the car has been stored properly for the past 5 months, I don't think this is a major red flag as such. You can go ahead confidently if all else seems correct. Please do the due diligence and check that the cars was not used as a test drive car/media car or registered to the company.

You should be the first owner and the warranty should start after your purchase. That's something you need to confirm with the dealer. Cheers!
sauravpat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 19:06   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravpat View Post
It is quite common to buy cars manufactured in Nov-Dec of the previous year but with the latest model year for a discount. As long as the car has been stored properly for the past 5 months, I don't think this is a major red flag as such. You can go ahead confidently if all else seems correct. Please do the due diligence and check that the cars was not used as a test drive car/media car or registered to the company.

You should be the first owner and the warranty should start after your purchase. That's something you need to confirm with the dealer. Cheers!
Thank you so much! I’ll re-confirm the same with the dealer.
Old 12th May 2023, 12:23   #50

PURCHASE EXPERIENCE OF GLA 220D[ATTACH=PURCHASE EXPERIENCE OF GLA 220D.

1. My wife has been driving a Jazz for the past several years. About six months ago she started working at a Medical college in a nearby town (65km one way on 6 lane express way). We decided to upgrade to one of the three luxury German cars for her daily commute. Main considerations were safety, ease of handling, ride comfort and compact size. Researched mainly on team bhp and short listed GLA 220D and new BMW X1. Wife liked GLA220D after test drive mostly because (I presume) this car appears relatively smaller.

2. We made the online booking towards the end of Feb23 for a car with EDD in March23. On 18th of March MBIL sent a communication with WIN number and EDD as 31.03.23. Then there was no further communication from MBIL but the Mahavir motors Vijayawada (dealers) was in touch with me mostly telling me “we shall let you know as soon as we come to know”. On contacting MBIL chat support (most useless one as they do not have any information and after asking you innumerable questions they tell you “concerned person shall contact you soon” and that soon never happens unless you remind them a couple of times subsequently), I received a mail on 8th April, from MBIL that the delivery is delayed due to logistic issues and now it would be delivered during first wk of May23.

3. However, on 19th of April, Mahavir motors Vijayawada (through their local sales person in Tirupati) informed me that the vehicle has reached the dealer and I may make the final payments (cost of vehicle directly to MBIL and Life tax and insurance to Mahavir). As my wife is a doctor, INR1.5lakhs discount was offered (more on this later). As we were travelling I told them that I shall make the payments on the 24th and take delivery on 2nd May to prior commitments.

4. Meanwhile I received several calls for accessories but I found a huge price discrepancy between those on MBIL website and the quotes of the dealers. On contacting MBIL, I did not get any clarification at all!. Decided not to go for any accessories.

5. After discussing with Bajaz alliance (our jazz insurer), TATA AIG and Reliance (preferred insurers for MBIL – I was told) decided to go for a comprehensive return to invoice type from TATA AIG.

6. As agreed on 24th April23 I made the payment of Rs. 46,86,400 (including the booking amount of 50K and after 1.5L discount) to MBIL and Rs.8,40,000/= (life tax) plus Rs. 1, 33,298/= (insurance) to Mahavir motors.

7. In the evening of 24th April, I received a filled in road tax application for verification from Mahavir. I noticed that the vehicle invoice value is mentioned as 49,99,900/= instead of 48,36,400/= (discounts offered by the manufacturer do not count for life tax in AP), and consequently life tax as Rs.898200/=. Immediately I raised this concern with Mahavir and they were also surprised (at least appeared so?) and I told them it may be the tax for the more expensive 4matic model. Since it was already 8.30pm, we agreed that we shall refill this online life tax application afresh the next morning.

8. Next morning I was give online access to the desk top of the concerned person at Mahavir and the application filled afresh. To my surprise the price the vehicle was being filled as Rs.499900/= the moment GLA 220D was entered as the model. Then I was informed that w.e.f 1st April MBIL has revised the prices of their vehicles but since my vehicle was meant for delivery on 31.03.23, it is offered to me at the old price. However, I have to pay the additional road tax. I was not convinced but also felt cheated at this blatant lack of communication from MBIL/Mahavir. Reluctantly I paid since I did not see any point in making an issue out of it at that stage.

9. We went to Vijayawada on 2nd and took delivery of the vehicle. The process was smooth, they kept everything including FASTAG ready, organized cake cutting and also small puja. The whole thing was completed under 45min. Received body cover for the car as complimentary. I must mention that the dealer picked us up in another GLA220D from my hotel (15km drive) during which both of us could sit in the back seat and enjoyed the space and drive thoroughly. Nice of the dealer to have done this. Rested for the night and drove back to Tirupati next morning – a distance of ~450km. While the vehicle looks compact from outside, inside it is surprisingly roomy!. Drove leisurely getting familiar the nuances of the vehicle. The drive and handling were superb and it returned 19.8 kmpl. Incidentally, the vehicle was delivered with a full tank of fuel. Another nice touch. Drove another 300km during the last 10 days (local & highway), and it is showing an average of 19kmpl. Yet to refill the tank.

10. On checking the final invoice I see that MBIL has offered a discount of ~1lk and the remaining is the savings we got on GST. Accountants way of calculating the discount offered I suppose!. Thus GOI and GOAP together offered me a discount of ~50K in consideration of MBIL’s discount of 1lk. Therefore, my gratitude is split among these three!

11. I received a feedback form and in view of the negative surprise regarding the life tax a insensitive communication and lukewarm attitude for sales, I gave a rating of 3/5. The entire management team started to fire the sales person at Tirupati for not communicating with me properly. I could see that this guy was innocent as he did not have the information regarding increase in prices and consequent enhancement of life tax. I wrote a detailed letter to the management of MBIL/Mahavir and received an apology (no compensation) for improper communication.

12. This is a classical case of callous communication. If only they informed me in advance that the prices were going to be revised from 1st April,23 and even so I shall be offered the vehicle at the booking price but I need to pay additional life tax, I would have been appreciative of the fact that I was not charged the increased price. But by not communicating, they have effectively converted a potential positive experience into a negative one.

13. Two days ago I paid for the extended warranty for six years and promptly received the confirmation and the extended warranty insurance policy.

14. Now I am considering to go for 5 year compact plus service pack costing ~3.7lks. I shall appreciate advice from knowledgeable members on this. Also Chennai (150km) and Bengaluru (250km) are nearer to Tirupati than Vijayawada. Please suggest authorized MBIL service stations in these cities which I may prefer.

15. Appreciate suggestions on any accessories I might add.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA (H247)-gla1.jpg  

Review: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA (H247)-gla2.jpg  

Review: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA (H247)-gla3.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 12th May 2023 at 12:42.
embryo1954 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 14:40   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by embryo1954 View Post
14. Now I am considering to go for 5 year compact plus service pack costing ~3.7lks. I shall appreciate advice from knowledgeable members on this. Also Chennai (150km) and Bengaluru (250km) are nearer to Tirupati than Vijayawada. Please suggest authorized MBIL service stations in these cities which I may prefer.
Congratulations to your wife on her new car! I don't think any accessories are necessary since it comes decently loaded with everything that would be sold as a dealership accessory like wireless charger, mats, ambient lighting etc.

If compact plus is the one that covers everything from brake pads to oil changes, sure go for it just for the peace of mind since you already have a 6 year full car + 8 year drivetrain warranty.
Old 25th May 2023, 10:22   #52

Thank you for suggestions. Appreciate you for supporting my thinking that no accessories shall be needed. As planned I had purchased the 5 year compact plus service pack. Now the final cost of the vehicle stands at ~62lks. My wife started using it on a daily basis (130km/day) and is pleased with the upgrade. Completed 1500kms and the mileage stands@19kmpl (mostly highways). Shall post any interesting experiences as and when encountered.
embryo1954 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 23:48   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post

This 2nd Gen GLA has 116 mm more headroom, 45 mm more elbow room, 43 mm more shoulder room & 114 mm more legroom at the rear. More Legroom is evident and overall airiness has also increased irrespective of this black interior.
How would you rate this car's rear seat as compared to your seltos or your hyryder? (space wise, not considering the cushioning or the quality of materials, which I assume will be quite a few notches higher)

Is this as spacious as a seltos/hyryder, or more spacious, or less?
Old 2nd June 2023, 23:51   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNA411 View Post
How would you rate this car's rear seat as compared to your seltos or your hyryder? (space wise, not considering the cushioning or the quality of materials, which I assume will be quite a few notches higher)

Is this as spacious as a seltos/hyryder, or more spacious, or less?
The new GLA is definitely more spacious than the previous gen model however my HyRyder, Seltos & Kushaq are more spacious at rear for sure
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 12:30   #55

Congrats on the owners here for their new GLAs.

I have a query here I'd like inputs on from the experienced. I currently own a vw polo 1.5 tdi 2016 and a skoda karoq 1.5tsi (2020, cbu). My daily running is around 40-50kms and I'm from the extreme north of himachal pradesh. I have fair bit of running in not so good roads and snow during the season.

I'm planning to sell both the vw cars and was contemplating either a pre owned audi q2 or a gla 220d 4matic. The AWD is a must and there aren't proper 4x4s in that size and budget that fit the bill. It has to be a smaller car since parking and maneuvering here sometimes is a hustle.

I haven't driven any quattro or 4matic cars, and I'm not even looking for extreme off roading since I'm aware of the limitations of both and potential parts cost. Would the awd system in either be able to handle a bit of snow/ice and some tough terrains?

I was biased towards the quattro but the diesel in gla is making me lean on it more. Thanks in advance and apologies if I broke any forum rules here.
Old 3rd June 2023, 17:53   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodspirit View Post
The AWD is a must and there aren't proper 4x4s in that size and budget that fit the bill.
Please checkout a pre-owned Q3 or Tiguan with the 2.0 TDI. It is a solid engine with a wet clutch gearbox..not the infamous DQ200. It is a torquey diesel with AWD. Additionally, they are not too large. And will be refined enough to feel like the Karoq or maybe even better.
sauravpat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 18:02   #57
BANNED

Quote:
My daily running is around 40-50kms and I'm from the extreme north of himachal pradesh.

I haven't driven any quattro or 4matic cars, and I'm not even looking for extreme off roading since I'm aware of the limitations of both and potential parts cost. Would the awd system in either be able to handle a bit of snow/ice and some tough terrains?.

If i was from remote northern himachal, and I needed a fill it shut it forget it, go anywhere compact car, I struggle to think of a better option than a jimny 4x4 (AT or manual, upto you)

Ofcourse if you are planning on making a statement, then it won't get you the snob value of a German.
Old 4th June 2023, 11:26   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNA411 View Post
If i was from remote northern himachal, and I needed a fill it shut it forget it, go anywhere compact car, I struggle to think of a better option than a jimny 4x4 (AT or manual, upto you)

Ofcourse if you are planning on making a statement, then it won't get you the snob value of a German.
I'm not from that remote and extreme conditions. And even though I have an idea how capable a jinmny is going to be it just doesn't sit well with me as a primary car with my profession and all.
Old 5th June 2023, 23:31   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Would the awd system in either be able to handle a bit of snow/ice and some tough terrains?
This is the primary purpose of AWD in these kind of cars. Provide adequate grip on mild snow/ icy roads during the winter; along with winter tyres. Both would be good enough for the purpose. Coming to Q2 vs GLA, the Q2 has Spartan interiors and smaller proportions compared to the GLA. I’d say the GLA would be a nicer car.
Old 9th August 2023, 08:54   #60
BHPian

I wonder why this thread is so sparce??!! Just two owners in two years!! (Not counting Magnus3737's AMG)

I have taken four test drives of the GLA in last one month. Twice with the GLA 220d and twice with the GLA 220d 4Matic. The last one was with my wife in the passenger seat of the 4Matic. It has ticked all the necessary boxes for me, including my wife getting blown by the interior and the comfort. For reference, I currently drive a Seltos GTX DCT with 1.4TGDi engine.

Drove the BMW X1 and rejected it outright. It just does not have the performance expected of a BMW. You can find my test drive review in the BMW X1 thread.

Audi has been absolutely non responsive. So dropped Q3 from the list. Anyways wasn't keen on Audi.

Will test drive the XC40 in a couple of days. However, I have my doubts if I will fall for it over the GLA 4Matic. Performance and feature comparisons aside, the difference between the warranty and service network of Mercedes and Volvo is already putting me off about the XC40.

Decision will be made by this weekend. Will keep fellow GLA admirers / owners posted.

Last edited by biplab3110 : 9th August 2023 at 08:56.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks