Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2022, 15:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review

Congratulations for your new ride and thanks for such detail review. Appreciate your patience to click photos and explain in details the Adrenox features.

However, noted these in your post -
Quote:
The choice of variant was clear from the beginning to be AX7L and while I always wanted the AWD for more peace of mind (a bonus over Safari), the signals received from some ‘birdies’ were not promising to take the plunge for it
Would like to know what information do you have about the underlined part since I already have the AWD variant.

Quote:
B1 – Vibrations in the Front and Middle row armrest at idle (more pronounced in D / R with foot on brake) and low engine RPM.
B8 – Thuds & noises from Suspension.
I have never noticed the vibrations as you have mentioned in B1, but I will again check once more in the evening. There is a subdued thud noise from the tyre in my case too but I have never heard any other noise (metallic noise as many has reported) from the suspension. What type of noise do you actually hear from the suspension.

Quote:
U1c – There a 50:50 chance that wireless Anrdoid Auto connection will not work upon starting the vehicle and when it doesn’t connect, there is no way to get it running wirelessly.
In this regard the following is mentioned by @Abirnale in his ownership thread. I was also advised in similar lines by the Co-Tek.

Quote:
The trick to not let it happen is allow the system to boot properly instead of rushing to start! Car needs warm up before it can sprint forward!

Whenever I rush through the start procedure, screen blanking *may* happen - I kind of know how his now after carefully observing the pattern.

The proper routine is:
- ACC ON/ Start car ICE and not engine. Allow the needle to do their startup dance.
- When the MID shows press brake message to start engine, only then start engine. Or wait for main ICE screen to come to its default Home Screen.
- Gove a 30-45 seconds engine idling time before you slot from P to D.
Sommos is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 15:36   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabharish77 View Post
Congratulations! Nice review too.

The app works well on my watch 9/10 times. Adrenox is slow though, I don't know how it will age over time. Otherwise overall amazing package.

I got my car delivered last month. No noise from suspension so far (fingers crossed). I did notice noise from brakes at extremely slow speed , but it's very common and not a deal breaker.
I have seen that some people have the suspension noise while others don't. It's a little confusing on whether Mahindra has fixed it or not.
yuvmudapa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 18:34   #18
BHPian

Congratulations A.G. for a wonderfully detailed review of the car. This is an awesome product from Mahindra - does have some quirks but hopefully these would get resolved with newer iterations. I like XUV700 a lot and have test driven the petrol variant. In one word - the driving exeperience was “Superb”.

I agree with you that they could have added auto dimming IRVM and ventilated seats when cars half the price are offerring these. Another thing I think could be improved are the glossy plastic panels upfront on the dashboard - I somehow like the matt black ones on Ax5 variant. Hopefully the quality of these would improve with future variants. These things put aside, this really is an aweome car.

Small coincidence - my first cousin in Roorkee also bought a XUV700 AX7L AWD D AT in Midnight Black a few months back. Looks great as does your silver car.

Have years of happy ownership experience.
Old 12th November 2022, 19:48   #19
BHPian

Congratulations A.G. on the car and thank you for the wonderfully detailed review. Specially the details around the infotainment system and the underbody image you have captured is simply wow! I liked your observations on the drive experience and totally agree with it.
I recently drove my close friend's XUV 700 AXL Petrol. Keeping mileage part aside the whole experience was very nice. My daily drive is a Hexa and I felt the suspension is almost there at Hexa level. Drivability was top notch. Seats were very comfortable and better than Hexa for sure. Getting in and out I found as good or bad as the Hexa - Taller people have to bend a bit. Overall if someone is looking for a 7 seater diesel auto - XUV700 should be one of the top choice.

Wishing you many thousand miles of joy.
busydrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 11:30   #20

The most comprehensive review of a car that I have seen. Big fan of my XUV 5OO. For anyone considering XUV 7OO it can't get better than this.
Old 13th November 2022, 18:58   #21
BHPian

One of the most comprehensive reviews of the XUV700 I have come across so far, even comparing the official review, and that's saying something! The images of the underbody are also one of the most clear ones I have seen so far.
Thanks for taking the effort!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
In this regard the following is mentioned by @Abirnale in his ownership thread. I was also advised in similar lines by the Co-Tek.
30-40 seconds wait to slot from P to D is quite long. Might be okay in the morning when starting, but waiting every time is a pain. Imagine, waiting in a long queue in the hills and you step out to inspect after switching off, only to find that the vehicles have started to move!
Old 13th November 2022, 22:09   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuvmudapa View Post
Congratulations! Wonderful review, just wanted to know the manufacturing month of the car.
Thank you. Mine is manufactured in last week of August.
Quote:
Also read in one of the Facebook groups that Mahindra issued a recall for the front suspension but not sure if it's true or not.
Checked online and with the dealer last week - there is no service action pending.
Quote:
Congratulations! Nice review too.
Thank you
Quote:
The app works well on my watch 9/10 times. Adrenox is slow though, I don't know how it will age over time.
I just hope they make the software experience better over time as that's much easier than making hardware changes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kln View Post
Fantastic review
Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kln View Post
I'm looking to buy the same trim, and what I understand is, it makes sense for the rumoured 2023 refresh with the kinks ironed out.
Hopefully they focus on that instead of cost cutting for inflated profits.
Quote:
Congratulations for your new ride and thanks for such detail review.
Thank you
Quote:
Would like to know what information do you have about the underlined part since I already have the AWD variant.
Nothing serious, please continue to enjoy the drive.
Quote:
I have never noticed the vibrations as you have mentioned in B1, but I will again check once more in the evening.
It's a constant high frequency but irritating vibration filtering through the center arm rest. Mild enough that it's not a deal breaker but can't be ignored and renders the armrest useless at idle.
Quote:
Thanks for sharing the process. That's the ritual I follow in the morning but honestly a bit lazy to follow it other 10 restarts in the day but will be more cautious to follow it now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Aterkar View Post
Congratulations A.G. for a wonderfully detailed review of the car.
Thank you
Quote:
I like XUV700 a lot and have test driven the petrol variant. In one word - the driving exeperience was “Superb”.
The power delivery and refinement of Petrol is at another level.
Quote:
Small coincidence - my first cousin in Roorkee also bought a XUV700 AX7L AWD D AT in Midnight Black a few months back. Looks great as does your silver car.
Congratulation to your cousin as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by busydrive View Post
Congratulations A.G. on the car and thank you for the wonderfully detailed review.
Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by busydrive View Post
My daily drive is a Hexa and I felt the suspension is almost there at Hexa level.
Your observations as a Hexa owner are spot on and reaffirm what I have experienced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by senamds View Post
The most comprehensive review of a car that I have seen. Big fan of my XUV 5OO. For anyone considering XUV 7OO it can't get better than this.
Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider28 View Post
One of the most comprehensive reviews of the XUV700 I have come across so far, even comparing the official review, and that's saying something!
Thank you
Quote:
My car(July manufactured) doesn't seem to have any suspension noise.
Quote:
I got my car delivered last month. No noise from suspension so far (fingers crossed).
Quote:
There is a subdued thud noise from the tyre in my case too but I have never heard any other noise (metallic noise as many has reported) from the suspension. What type of noise do you actually hear from the suspension.
To explain the situation better, the noises are primarily heard at city speeds (less than 40 Kmph). The concrete roads with random mix of interlocking pavers just produce a rattling music which I believe to be coming from Front end, probably from passenger side. Same patch covered at 50 Kmph or more (tried at night with no traffic) and the noise just vanishes with suspension still doing it's job beautifully. Planning to meet the CoTek soon and have it checked once.
Old 14th November 2022, 10:34   #23
Team-BHP Support

Exceptional, unbiased & detailed ownership reviews of cars have started going to our homepage reviews box. It's the ultimate stamp of trust from Team-BHP (as a platform) because lakhs of visitors every month check out reviews from there & make purchase decisions.

Your review has also been included here. Thank you so much for sharing .

The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahdat.png
Aditya is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 17:32   #24
BHPian

Inspection of 1000 Kms

While the inspection was due at 1000 Kms, the first alert popped-up on the cluster at 802 Kms. Booking the appointment was a seamless experience with the With You Hamesha app and the next morning I was elated to see the level of transparency with the estimate and it’s approval also being done through the same app. While the service cost calculator in the same app shows nil amount, the total estimate was for Rs. 78 towards disposable protective covers – saw such a charge for the first time and wish there were covers for Steering and Gear lever too like in other brands I have experienced instead of just the front seats.

Post general check-up, the loose fender lining was correctly fitted and the software was re-flashed for the Matrix mode which had appeared on the screen.

All XUV7OO’s waiting for their turn for the update (takes a good 45 mins) while it was being done on another XUV (not pictured here)
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-1-mahindra-xuv700-inspection-1.jpg

Heading for the complimentary wash
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-1-mahindra-xuv700-inspection-2.jpg

Wish the disposable seat covers were really up for the task. The stain was noticed by the service advisor himself before handing me the key and was prompt in getting it sorted.
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-1-mahindra-xuv700-inspection-3.jpg

Tried my luck for the Sequential tail lamps and there was no clue regarding when they would be available. Another customer, who had come-in to get the Apple CarPlay update done, had the same query and is waiting for the tail lamps since March 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Exceptional, unbiased & detailed ownership reviews of cars have started going to our homepage reviews box.
Thank you
A.G. is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 10:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider28 View Post
30-40 seconds wait to slot from P to D is quite long. Might be okay in the morning when starting, but waiting every time is a pain. Imagine, waiting in a long queue in the hills and you step out to inspect after switching off, only to find that the vehicles have started to move!
I think of it as a computer and give it time to boot properly. More than 90% of the time it works properly if you give it the time to boot up properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.G. View Post
To explain the situation better, the noises are primarily heard at city speeds (less than 40 Kmph). The concrete roads with random mix of interlocking pavers just produce a rattling music which I believe to be coming from Front end, probably from passenger side. Same patch covered at 50 Kmph or more (tried at night with no traffic) and the noise just vanishes with suspension still doing it's job beautifully. Planning to meet the CoTek soon and have it checked once.
Someone with a similar problem has got it rectified by replacing the nuts on the mount. The job has been done at Prime Automobile (dealer) at Faridabad. I presume there is some play in the shocker mounts that may be responsible for the sound.

I have no such issues in my car (touchwood) and the above is not my statement or experience, I'm only sharing the opinion of someone who says that he has got the issue sorted out. Personally I feel that this can be discussed and tried since it does not involve replacing any part except for the mounting nuts and would not involve a huge cost.

Quote:
Inspection of 1000 Kms
While the service cost calculator in the same app shows nil amount, the total estimate was for Rs. 78 towards disposable protective covers – saw such a charge for the first time and wish there were covers for Steering and Gear lever too like in other brands I have experienced instead of just the front seats.
In my case the charges were waived off during the first service since it was free service.
The dealer in my city uses the cover for both the front seats, gear, steering wheel and the arm rest.
Old 18th November 2022, 16:30   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Someone with a similar problem has got it rectified by replacing the nuts on the mount. The job has been done at Prime Automobile (dealer) at Faridabad. I presume there is some play in the shocker mounts that may be responsible for the sound.
Will have it inspected.
Quote:
The dealer in my city uses the cover for both the front seats, gear, steering wheel and the arm rest.
That's what ideally should happen across all dealers since the SOP comes from the company (Mahindra)
Old 20th November 2022, 09:35   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I think of it as a computer and give it time to boot properly. More than 90% of the time it works properly if you give it the time to boot up properly.
I press the start button once(without pressing the brake), wait till the 'Engine!' sign goes off on the left corner of the MID and then press the brake and start the car. This is what the Mahindra official told us to do.
Old 22nd November 2022, 14:11   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The Bad:
B1 – Vibrations in the Front and Middle row armrest at idle (more pronounced in D / R with foot on brake) and low engine RPM.

B2 – Slight droning / rattling noise around 2000 RPM mark.

U1 – Too many software glitches even after 1 year of launch are simply alarming.

U2 – While alignment is correct in terms of their being no pull, steering centralization is slightly out.

U3 – A lock of Wheel cladding popping out before the 1st inspection of 1000 Kms raises questions on build quality (glad it did not fall on the ground like the 2002 Scorpio we had)
Congratulations Ankur for the acquisition of Silver Surfer! The XUV7OO isn’t even close to Ford Endeavour. It is going to remind you of your old car more as you continue to use this one. But glad to see the car being picked by you as your choice!

Some of the Bad points you mentioned, I quoted above, seems like combination of quality check fails, failure from PDI or mishandling by Dealer - did they do anything different with car in the name of accessories fitting, etc? Some of the points you mentioned don’t exist in my car which was made in Jan 2022. Some of the rattles point to the glaring quality issues. M&M may continue to improve but you as a customer doesn’t deserve this :(

By the way, the suspension noise/ thud seems to be a more known issue with the car. And what I do to avoid the ICE issues is - always give it booting time it needs - it doesn’t fail if you allow it to boot properly. Don’t crank the engine immediately - allow the needles to dance, ICE to come up and then crank it. Most of the ICE issues you are going through won’t happen.

U2 - should be easily fixable. Do a WA/ WB with modern equipment at Tire shop. Be sure to reset the calibration parameters at ASC thereafter.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 11:18   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Congratulations Ankur for the acquisition of Silver Surfer!
Thank you
Quote:
The XUV7OO isn’t even close to Ford Endeavour. It is going to remind you of your old car more as you continue to use this one.
Barring the NVH issue and an adventure requiring trekking a dry river, there are only minor things as of now which remind me of the Endeavour on a daily basis. The areas in which the XUV7OO excels over the mighty Endeavour try and make-up for these shortcomings and was the reason of picking it up as a daily driver. Will be compiling a list of Pros & Cons among the two and share them soon.
Quote:
Some of the Bad points you mentioned, I quoted above, seems like combination of quality check fails, failure from PDI or mishandling by Dealer - did they do anything different with car in the name of accessories fitting, etc? Some of the points you mentioned don’t exist in my car which was made in Jan 2022. Some of the rattles point to the glaring quality issues. M&M may continue to improve but you as a customer doesn’t deserve this :(
Apart from Swirl marks, mishandling by Dealer doesn’t look like a possibility and I would assume both Mahindra and the dealer have same levels of non-existent QC / PDI.

Will be getting these checked soon along with the suggestions mentioned by fellow members. The droning noise is most likely coming from the Engine cover itself which to me feels loose - would try and drive for a day without the cover to confirm.
Quote:
By the way, the suspension noise/ thud seems to be a more known issue with the car.
I recently saw online there being a modification to the lower arm and bush to resolve the ‘gud-gud’ noise as referred in the document. Waiting for someone to post a review about it after getting it changed. For now the only work around to this and the 'football in boot' noise is listening to music even on short trips.
Quote:
And what I do to avoid the ICE issues is - always give it booting time it needs - it doesn’t fail if you allow it to boot properly. Don’t crank the engine immediately - allow the needles to dance, ICE to come up and then crank it. Most of the ICE issues you are going through won’t happen.
While this is certainly a good practice, my observation is that the ICE issues I have seen (twice now) are only when there is alert which requires sending a notification to Phone / Watch on the AdrenoX app while the vehicle is running.

In the first instance, the green vertical bars (Matrix mode) appeared when the first warning for low fuel came-up while driving and upon reviewing the dashcam footage last week (unfortunately forgot to save a copy ) I find there is a single bell chime which goes off in the XUV7OO --> screens freeze --> notification bell from the phone and then the watch. This can be heard repeatedly and almost matches the timeline of alert (click here to see the picture) history on the AdrenoX app. Second time was a similar story as well and since then I have made it a habbit of filling above 3/4 tank and not faced the issue again yet.
Quote:
U2 - should be easily fixable. Do a WA/ WB with modern equipment at Tire shop. Be sure to reset the calibration parameters at ASC thereafter.
Since the alignment is correct and the tilt is minor, for now I am just living it to avoid getting any thing else wrong in another visit to ASC.
A.G. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 17:17   #30
BHPian

Took a ‘short’ trip to Chitrakoot and back covering 690 Kms on the 1st day, 390 Kms on the next day and 670 Kms on the way back. The Lights are simply amazing and the headlamps have a pretty good reach, especially when the Booster lamps kick-in. The only downside is excessive reflection from the sign boards and the reflective stickers pasted on the barricade on both sides. Also, missed the physical buttons for changing the intensity of the twin displays and to tone down the light from them you need to navigate through the menus on the center screen.

Trip stats at the first fill-up after the first day run - amazing frugality
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-trip-1.jpg

Final Trip stats (overall FE was close to 14 Kmpl via Tankful to Tankful method)
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-trip-2.jpg

The powerful lights in action on the newly built Bundelkhand Expressway (notice the reflection from sign board)
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-trip-3.jpg

From all shiny to all dusted
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-trip-4.jpg

Adaptive Cruise and Smart Pilot assist were used extensively on the expressways and they work flawlessly. Only scope of improvement is in the logic for slowing down which even in the 'Slow' setting for Adaptive Cruise Control took the XUV quite close to the vehicle in front before braking hard even when the distance was set to level 4. To counter this, best was to just touch brakes gently enough to disengage the system and coast normally like a human driver would do.
A.G. is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks